Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? (27479 Views)

How I Prepared A Hot And Spicy Vegetable Jollof Rice on a budget / Why Do Most People Cook Rice On Sundays??? / Why Do Most Nigerian Families Eat Rice On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by cooljoe(m): 12:04pm On Jun 24, 2018
Not in my house - In my house, we cook moi moi, beans, soup, yam. In fact, if una too vex mum c, she cooks zilch. Buy well, today is my birthday, so we cook rice. This is my 10th birthday with nairaland, oga seun, I deserve some accolade. Chai, a lad is getting old
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by Olachase(m): 12:14pm On Jun 24, 2018
HomeOfMe:
You too like food. And 24 don reach to marry o.
lemme cucuma marry you since you are still waiting for the right man
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by GreenArrow1(m): 12:16pm On Jun 24, 2018
Non-negotiable. This is a tradition my children will definitely pick up and their own kids thereafter. To remind them and their unborn kids that there was a time when rice and stew was a very exclusive food reserved only for the middle class and well-to-do in the society and hence it was very important to struggling parents to try and provide that for their kids every Sunday. It's not just the rice that matters, but the story behind the tradition.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by yungkesh(m): 12:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
lilfreezy:
If you no cook rice on Sunday, e never complete grin
honestly
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by olowobaba10: 12:18pm On Jun 24, 2018
TRADITION! THOUGH INDOMIE KIDS WILL NOT UNDERSTAND.
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by HomeOfMe(f): 12:19pm On Jun 24, 2018
Olachase:
lemme cucuma marry you since you are still waiting for the right man
I'm your aunty o,married with twin boys. When den reach 25 like this dem must marry. Now they're babies.
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by Lekayleke: 12:27pm On Jun 24, 2018
That was then...it is Gaari and Kulikuli that is always available now...don't you know Burahi is our President ni?
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by Olachase(m): 12:30pm On Jun 24, 2018
HomeOfMe:
I'm your aunty o,married with twin boys. When den reach 25 like this dem must marry. Now they're babies.
lol okay I love twins, make me ur side chick so u can spend on me
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by HomeOfMe(f): 12:35pm On Jun 24, 2018
Olachase:
lol okay I love twins, make me ur side chick so u can spend on me
Oya kneel down there,close your eyes and raise up your hands. Stay there till I say get up,spoiled child. Read your book,you won't read,haba!
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by TheDEVlLHimseIf: 12:44pm On Jun 24, 2018
Katier00:
About cooking my yam o. Yam is
when God says aYam that aYam angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by MayhorE(m): 12:46pm On Jun 24, 2018
What is sunday without pounded yam and vegetable soup?
Who rice EPP
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by elinaxy(m): 12:48pm On Jun 24, 2018
Katier00:

I was about going for my weekly shopping and something just came to my mind, is there any rule that state we must cook rice for launch on Sundays? 90% of households in Nigeria eat rice very Sunday. I just decided to cook yam and egg sauce tomorrow to see if something unusual will happen

I just finished downloading eba and nothing unusual will happen. It a normal thing jor... ride on

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by Talknochip(m): 12:53pm On Jun 24, 2018
LOL.....Guess it because eating 'foriegn' rice was once considered as a priviledge or for only the rich. hence people who could hardly afford it, push or fixed sunday for cooking it
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by 3DCYCLOPS: 12:53pm On Jun 24, 2018
Katier00:

I was about going for my weekly shopping and something just came to my mind, is there any rule that state we must cook rice for launch on Sundays? 90% of households in Nigeria eat rice very Sunday. I just decided to cook yam and egg sauce tomorrow to see if something unusual will happen

bros you go long throat for rice through out that day

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by Olachase(m): 12:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
HomeOfMe:
Oya kneel down there,close your eyes and raise up your hands. Stay there till I say get up,spoiled child. Read your book,you won't read,haba!
I'm not going to school I worked engineering work in guiness
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by 3DCYCLOPS: 12:58pm On Jun 24, 2018
cooljoe:
Not in my house - In my house, we cook moi moi, beans, soup, yam. In fact, if una too vex mum c, she cooks zilch. Buy well, today is my birthday, so we cook rice. This is my 10th birthday with nairaland, oga seun, I deserve some accolade. Chai, a lad is getting old

who cares
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jun 24, 2018
Same reason why u go to church every Sunday grin grin grin
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by Olibboy: 1:02pm On Jun 24, 2018
Katier00:
About cooking my yam o. Yam is very expensive o
cook my own join...

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by yhungbrowhne(m): 1:02pm On Jun 24, 2018
ReneeNuttall:
It is an old tradition that i still love to keep and pass on to my children.I mean during my child hood days ,what is a Sunday without rice and stew? cheesy.Sundays are seen as a special day then and even now. These days things have changed ,alot of people now eat fried rice,swallows etc on sundays,even now alot of Nigerian families still practice that tradition.Its cool though tongue
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by bixton(m): 1:03pm On Jun 24, 2018
Who is saying rice was for the rich back then?

Those who could buy, cook and eat uncle bens rice and the other existing foreign rice were considered to be rich or average earners.
The rest had to do with our local rice( abakaliki rice), that you had to sit down properly and select stones out of it before cooking.

So every house hold was privileged to have and eat rice.
Cooking it on Sundays was just a norm and it was pretty special.
Sunday rice then was really special. Mom's took time to cook. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by chaotik(m): 1:08pm On Jun 24, 2018
To cook rice na by brain again
themodernman:

If you cooked those delicacies I'm seeing here, then you're blessed, not only with beauty but brains also...
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by ObaOloye: 1:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
Sunday is a chill at home day and in Nigeria, rice is the semi special occasion food. Plus visitors and all. It has gradually become an unspoken rule handed down from generation to generation
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by HomeOfMe(f): 1:29pm On Jun 24, 2018
Olachase:
I'm not going to school I worked engineering work in guiness
Ok,that's good. But don't think about dating a woman older than you it's not a good idea;I won't encourage my brother to do that,it's even worse if the woman is married. Don't let any married woman deceive you into dating her no matter how wealthy she may be,there are bad omen linked to such. Whenever you want to get married let me know,I'll pay for your wedding cake, Bye.
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by themodernman: 1:34pm On Jun 24, 2018
chaotik:
To cook rice na by brain again

You think na by that dogfood concoction wey you dey cook chop?

Oya goan use your brain to replicate wetin I dey see for there if e sure for your brain...
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by Funkybabee(f): 1:42pm On Jun 24, 2018
Beans,bread& tea in the morning, rice & stew in the afternoon guess night grin grin

Sunday is a bae,u know we have alot of time to cook
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by enemyofprogress: 1:53pm On Jun 24, 2018
Becurse amala is for Muslims on fridays

Vivypretty go and bath
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by stiffy56(m): 2:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
To celebrate God's day....
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by Olachase(m): 2:21pm On Jun 24, 2018
HomeOfMe:
Ok,that's good. But I don't thinking about dating a woman older than you is a good idea;I won't encourage my brother to do that,it's even worse if the woman is married. Don't let any married woman deceive you into dating her no matter how wealthy she may be,there are bad omen linked to such. Whenever you want to get married let me know,I'll pay for your wedding cake, Bye.
lol thanks I will keep ur promise to mind I will settle down at the age of 27
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by cooljoe(m): 2:25pm On Jun 24, 2018
3DCYCLOPS:

who cares
chai, ds one pain me well well
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by cooljoe(m): 2:25pm On Jun 24, 2018
3DCYCLOPS:

who cares
chai, ds one pain me well well
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 24, 2018
"Why we eat rice on Sunday"... It's a norm society had created, society creates norms to stick with, there isn't a warning or dangerous consequence when you don't. It's what makes Nigerians, Nigerians one and together,having this relation. Like a foreigner could come, and we could say our Sunday traditional food is Rice.
Re: Why Do We Always Cook Rice On Sundays? by kode12: 2:35pm On Jun 24, 2018
Cooking rice on Sundays is a constitutional provision. It is enshrined in the 1999 constitution, go and check for yourself

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups / How To Make Goat Meat Stew / 4 Delicious Soups To Relish When In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.