Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,705 members, 7,809,683 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years (7084 Views)

Timi Adelakun Breaks South Broward School's Records With A Record-Setting GPA / What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? / First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Amakababe(f): 1:10pm On Jun 24, 2018
Pls help advice a sister. I will be eventually adviced to withdraw from the school of engineering because i failed 6 of my core courses and didn't make the 10-8-8 requirement in maths phy and chem to go into 100 level 2nd semester. Infact, i was placed on sp1 already as i just checked the noticeboard this morning.

I plan on taking another JAMB exams.

Pls i need the first class or strong 2.1 graduates to help me with their first semester GPA and second semester GPA in 100 level, how they maintained it, what they had to sacrifice, and mistakes that cost them first class (for those that went down to 2.1).

Did it get really unbearable along the line, and what did you do? Read harder?

Cc lalasticlala
Seun
RichieZ
Mynd44

2 Likes

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by ArcFresky(m): 1:25pm On Jun 24, 2018
I never tried to make a first class, I never made a first classs....
Hence I enjoyed 5 years in the university.

6 Likes

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Amakababe(f): 1:27pm On Jun 24, 2018
ArcFresky:
thank you
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:31pm On Jun 24, 2018
Study what you have passion for, you would make a first easily. Check jarushub for tips.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by ArcFresky(m): 1:33pm On Jun 24, 2018
To be candid....
I just realised you may not be too intelligent

Study a course you like

Join deeperlife or any church that dont allow bf/gf...

Doing assignments immediately... Dont wait till d next day.

Never miss anay class

Spend a lot of time in school, I.e stay late in school, some lecturers can come late and give tests, especially just befire exam time..

Know your lecturers well, be friendly.

Stick to people that made or are on first class.

Get handouts from all your seniors, including past questions.

Stick to only three places; church, school, house....

Be reading everytime.... Even when ur lecturer never reach the topic...

Ask questions, not in class, but privately so that awon aye wont put eye on you...

Serve God.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 2:57pm On Jun 24, 2018
I cannot hide my admiration for this op..ur urge to improve more is second to none ..may God be with u

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Amakababe(f): 2:58pm On Jun 24, 2018
ArcFresky:
To be candid....

Study a course you like

Never miss anay class

Spend a lot of time in school, I.e stay late in school, some lecturers can come late and give tests, especially just befire exam time..

Ask questions, not in class, but privately so that awon aye wont put eye on you...

Serve God.
sorry to ask, did you graduate with a 2.1 then?
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Amakababe(f): 2:59pm On Jun 24, 2018
tensazangetsu20:
Study what you have passion for, you would make a first easily. Check jarushub for tips.
noted
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Amakababe(f): 2:59pm On Jun 24, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:
I cannot hide my admiration for this op..ur urge to improve more is second to none ..may God be with u
amen
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Amakababe(f): 4:38pm On Jun 24, 2018
Cc lalasticlala
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by daewoorazer(m): 4:39pm On Jun 24, 2018

To hell with 1st class and 2:1

I regret till today I had no one to inform me. I ran after books like crazy thinking it will make my bata sound ‘ko-ko-ka’...I was wrong!

Except for the sole purpose of scholarship abroad, high scores in Nigeria is tantamount to penury. It thwarts your creative and business abilities. You’d think of nothing but to compete with your mates while the average students harness their energy into creative thinking and business ideas while in school. These average students make fortune before anyone after graduation. Quote me anywhere, in Nigeria, your certification is bullshyte.

My take: give your best while you think of creative ideas to maintain you during and after school. Beyond school, what will matter is your social influence and that of your family OR whatever you might have built for yourself as an undergraduate!

Peace!

Btw, I made well beyond 4points out of 5.0 .... anyone interested in buying my transcripts and cert? grin

6 Likes

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by TheGenius001: 4:39pm On Jun 24, 2018
Well dear am currently on a quite strong 2:1 In engineering too and hoping for a first class.

so I guess failing at this time of your school year is somewhat a very bad start which might go a long way to affect you for the rest of your years in school.If you choose to tho.

You can actually take it as a challenge,and as such, try to prove to yourself that you could have done better if not for certain circumstances (i.e if the circumstances responsible were beyond you) by doing better in the semesters to come.If actually it was due to your fault then I think you would need to turn a new leaf and stop whatever it is that distracts you from your studies.

Study effectively at least 4 hours everyday.Make sure you don't let pride set in by not requesting for help from other intelligent students who really understand a particular course.

Attend all lectures each semester has to offer and make sure at the end of the lecture you are sure you learnt something.

Also keep away from friends that can't help you academically.

Pray to GOD also.

2 Likes

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by fratermathy(m): 5:07pm On Jun 24, 2018
ArcFresky:
To be candid....

Study a course you like

Never miss anay class

Serve God.

You made very good points but one doesn't need to be excessively religious to make a first class. That's just a Nigerian mentality. Discipline is what is needed, not religion. In fact, if you devote too much of your time to religion, your academic life may be affected.

There are many first class holders in the world that are not religious fanatics or even religious in any form. So, please, stop peddling that stereotype. It is hardwork that leads to a first class, not a church or mosque or any other religious gathering. To make a first class, the student has to be studious, disciplined, attentive, curious, punctual, sociable, and above all, be a normal human being. Thanks.

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by GavelSlam: 5:10pm On Jun 24, 2018
daewoorazer:

To hell with 1st class and 2:1

I regret till today I had no one to inform me. I ran after books like crazy thinking it will make my bata sound ‘ko-ko-ka’...I was wrong!

Except for the sole purpose of scholarship abroad, high scores in Nigeria is tantamount to penury. It thwarts your creative and business abilities. You’d think of nothing but to compete with your mates while the average students harness their energy into creative thinking and business ideas while in school. These average students make fortune before anyone after graduation. Quote me anywhere, in Nigeria, your certification is bullshyte.

My take: give your best while you think of creative ideas to maintain you during and after school. Beyond school, what will matter is your social influence and that of your family OR whatever you might have built for yourself as an undergraduate!

Peace!

Btw, I made well beyond 4points out of 5.0 .... anyone interested in buying my transcripts and cert? grin

So sacrificing 4 or 5 years of your life in pursuit of academic excellence would kill your creativity?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 24, 2018
Well, you asked for exact grade points, and I can't see anyone posting theirs.
My first semester 100 level gpa was 4.72,
My second semester 100 lvl gpa was 4.90

2011, a federal university in Nigeria.

I graduated in 2016 with a final CGPA 4.66

I studied engineering, and did it get "unbearable" along the line? Yes, I had a 3.0gpa in my 300 level 2nd semester, and that happened cos I was almost running mad due to 24/7 jacking and had to spend most of the semester in the clinic.

Accumulate a high cgpa in 100 level oooo. If not, oyo is the case. Nothing less than a 4.3 after 1st year, and you have a first class in sight.
My only secret is to read read and read. I never attended church or prayed before exams, so i won't deceive you with those god factor trash. Log out of nairaland right now, and read your books!

Ps, lalasticlala isn't this FP worthy biko? But I've been scrolling through bobrisky on fp

19 Likes

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by daewoorazer(m): 5:17pm On Jun 24, 2018
GavelSlam:

So sacrificing 4 or 5 years of your life in pursuit of academic excellence would kill your creativity?

Yes In Nigeria....our curriculum is bullshyte...you’d understand if you’ve met foreign students or have been outside the country before..
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by GavelSlam: 5:25pm On Jun 24, 2018
daewoorazer:

Yes In Nigeria....our curriculum is bullshyte...you’d understand if you’ve met foreign students or have been outside the country before..

And you think I've not?

I'm sorry to say, so far you've not distinguished yourself as an intelligent or creative individual.

Your logic is completely wrong.

What are the school cert holders creating ?

Since we have more graduates in the average category and even more dropouts please point to their developments and we'll take it from there.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by daewoorazer(m): 5:30pm On Jun 24, 2018
GavelSlam:

And you think I've not?

I'm sorry to say, so far you've not distinguished yourself as an intelligent or creative individual.

Your logic is completely wrong.

What are the school cert holders creating ?

Since we have more graduates in the average category and even more dropouts please point to their developments and we'll take it from there.

For the sole purpose of this exchange, my transcript reeks of A and to say I attended one of the best state universities in the country; To also add, I am a recipient of scholarships .....so don’t go there...

If you don’t know your excellency, an average chukwuma with a primary 6 testimonial in alaba is worth millions while their 1st class counterparts are busy designing CVs for a 10,000per month teaching job.

4 Likes

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jun 24, 2018
ArcFresky:
you "enjoyed" abi?
While studying architecture shey?
Kindly tell us what you graduated with!!

Please don't come here to lead an innocent lady astray.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by GavelSlam: 5:37pm On Jun 24, 2018
daewoorazer:

For the sole purpose of this exchange, my transcript reeks of A and to say I attended one of the best state universities in the country; and to say I am a recipient of scholarships .....so don’t go there...

If you don’t know your excellency, an average chukwuma with a primary 6 testimonial in alaba is worth millions while their 1st class counterparts are busy designing CVs for a 10,000per month teaching job.

Which average Chukwuma?

What percentage of the unlettered population would you say are millionaires?

Your logic is totally flawed.

Granted there's a certain sense of entitlement the average graduate espouses, this is the same in most societies around the world.

Creativity is both nature and nurture.

A college trained creative individual would better than who isn't simply by exposure to libraries, repositories and authorities on the subject matter.

The average Nigerian is not creative and this is a societal thing rather than an academic issue.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by b3llo(m): 5:41pm On Jun 24, 2018
Amakababe:
Pls help advice a sister. I will be eventually adviced to withdraw from the school of engineering because i failed 6 of my core courses and didn't make the 10-8-8 requirement in maths phy and chem to go into 100 level 2nd semester. Infact, i was placed on sp1 already as i just checked the noticeboard this morning.

I plan on taking another JAMB exams.

Pls i need the first class or strong 2.1 graduates to help me with their first semester GPA and second semester GPA in 100 level, how they maintained it, what they had to sacrifice, and mistakes that cost them first class (for those that went down to 2.1).

Did it get really unbearable along the line, and what did you do? Read harder?

Cc lalasticlala
Seun
RichieZ
Mynd44
I know you are a FUTMINNA student.
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by daewoorazer(m): 5:44pm On Jun 24, 2018
GavelSlam:

Which average Chukwuma?

What percentage of the unlettered population would you say are millionaires?

Your logic is totally flawed.

Granted there's a certain sense of entitlement the average graduate espouses, this is the same in most societies around the world.

Creativity is both nature and nurture.

A college trained creative individual would better than who isn't simply by exposure to libraries, repositories and authorities on the subject matter.

The average Nigerian is not creative and this is a societal thing rather than an academic issue.

Reading this, I had to rest my case...Goodluck! Your highness!

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by GavelSlam: 5:45pm On Jun 24, 2018
daewoorazer:

Reading this, I had to rest my case...Goodluck! Your highness!

That settles that.

Ta ta.
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by kayceerilyn(f): 7:02pm On Jun 24, 2018
Sweetheart,

Having gone through the banter on this thread, I suggest you take off what's good for you.

I graduated with a 4.84 CGPA.. My 100lvl was not so fantastic though.. in my first semester, I had 4.0 and the second, I had 4.4.

My grades improved basically as a result of my associates. I ensured I made friends with people who shared the same goal as I did, people who will motivate you to be the best version of yourself..

The truth is "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". So by all means, go out, meet new people, join good societies, contest for an election and take on leadership positions, start a business.. make sure your life isn't all about books alone, it gets boring and you don't get to improve yourself.

The key is time consciousness. The primary reason you left your comfortable home for an uncomfortable one is to get educated.. Nothing comes first.. Except God of course.. So love God, develop a good relationship with him but realize that you came to school and not church... So read... Read at every time you get.. start from the beginning of the semester when students are still trying to prepare for the academic session... Don't get complacent... If you don't understand a course, go to tutorials, buy and study past questions... do group readings... sleep and eat well... Eat fruits and veggies... Balance is paramount.

Be the best version of yourself... Do not compete with anyone.. continue to improve yourself.. you'll soar..

Make sure that at the end of your five years, you will leave with more than your certificate.. you'll leave with friendships, with ideas and as a better human than you cane in.. Even if you don't eventually make the first class

25 Likes 7 Shares

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 24, 2018
kayceerilyn:
Sweetheart,

Having gone through the banter on this thread, I suggest you take off what's good for you.

I graduated with a 4.84 CGPA.. My 100lvl was not so fantastic though.. in my first semester, I had 4.0 and the second, I had 4.4.

My grades improved basically as a result of my associates. I ensured I made friends with people who shared the same goal as I did, people who will motivate you to be the best version of yourself..

The truth is "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". So by all means, go out, meet new people, join good societies, contest for an election and take on leadership positions, start a business.. make sure your life isn't all about books alone, it gets boring and you don't get to improve yourself.

The key is time consciousness. The primary reason you left your comfortable home for an uncomfortable one is to get educated.. Nothing comes first.. Except God of course.. So love God, develop a good relationship with him but realize that you came to school and not church... So read... Read at every time you get.. start from the beginning of the semester when students are still trying to prepare for the academic session... Don't get complacent... If you don't understand a course, go to tutorials, buy and study past questions... do group readings... sleep and eat well... Eat fruits and veggies... Balance is paramount.

Be the best version of yourself... Do not compete with anyone.. continue to improve yourself.. you'll soar..

Make sure that at the end of your five years, you will leave with more than your certificate.. you'll leave with friendships, with ideas and as a better human than you cane in.. Even if you don't eventually make the first class
i doff my hat for you ma'am. You entered 200 lvl with a cgpa of 4.2 and still graduated with a 4.8, it definitely wasn't easy for you

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 24, 2018
Ur not a first class or 2.1 material

1 Like

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Amakababe(f): 7:47pm On Jun 24, 2018
b3llo:
I know you are a FUTMINNA student.
yes i am. Anything wrong? shocked
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Amakababe(f): 7:48pm On Jun 24, 2018
yeyerolling:
Ur not a first class or 2.1 material
your opinion is not reality embarassed

1 Like

Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by SUPERPACK: 8:10pm On Jun 24, 2018
Amakababe:
your opinion is not reality embarassed
what are you passionate about in life, whats that thing you love doing?, are you studying engineering due to your love for it, or parental pressure? pls rply.
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Amakababe(f): 8:16pm On Jun 24, 2018
SUPERPACK:
what are you passionate about in life, whats that thing you love doing?, are you studying engineering due to your love for it, or parental pressure? pls rply.
no. I went to a technical secondry school where i studied mechanical engineering from year one to three
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by SUPERPACK: 8:21pm On Jun 24, 2018
Amakababe:
no. I went to a technical secondry school where i studied mechanical engineering from year one to three
which of the aspect of mechanical engineering do u find more difficult. theory or practical courses?
Re: First Class Graduates, What Was Your First GPA And How Was The Latter Years by Amakababe(f): 8:25pm On Jun 24, 2018
SUPERPACK:
are u studying mechanical engineering now also.
yes in futminna.

(1) (2) (Reply)

UNILAG Postgraduate 2015/16 Screening Test Result Is Out / 100 Synonyms To Expect In JAMB Use Of English / Admissiontipz- Jambites and Aspirants Get in Here For Admission tipz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.