Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,485 members, 7,826,834 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture (2366 Views)

Governor Peter Obi Retires From Politics / Governor Peter Obi's Multi Billion Naira Mall In Abuja / Governor Peter Obi Defend His Goverment Over Nasir El Rufai Accusations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 3:23am On Jun 06, 2010
Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State has demonstrated leadership in the quest for Igbo renaissance by coming out with far reaching measures to revive Igbo language and culture. At the recent launch of Suwakwa Igbo initiative at the Women Development Centre, Awka, Obi enjoined all Igbos to love themselves, their culture and language for their sustenance as a people.

As a demonstration of this love for the language, the governor announced, among others, annual cash award of N250, 000, N200, 000 and N100, 000 to the best three Igbo language students in secondary schools in Nigeria.

He also gave cash donations as well as university scholarship to the best two Igbo language students in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), Messrs Kevin Anozie and Chika Echeta, of Holy Child Secondary School, Isuofia and Bishop Onyemelukwe Secondary School, Onitsha respectively. Already, the governor has signed into law a bill to enforce the speaking and writing of Igbo language among Ndigbo in Anambra and Diaspora. He has stopped meting of corporal punishment to students who speak Igbo in schools in the state.

Like English Language and Mathematics, Igbo Language will henceforth be compulsory in all educational institutions in the state. The governor will soon send a bill to that effect to the State House of Assembly as well as making a pass in Igbo Language mandatory for employment in the state.
To sustain the renewed interest in Igbo studies, the state government has commenced the building of Chief Chidozie Ogbalu Igbo Language School at a cost of N50.5 million for specialized and holiday programmes in Igbo.

We commend Obi for his foresight in rolling out measures to revive Igbo language now that the language is among those predicted to go extinct in the near future if nothing drastic is done to promote its usage. By this action, the governor has added another feather to his cap. He has actually shown what responsible leadership can be. Obi’s example deserves applause because among the three major Nigerian languages, Igbo is the most neglected in terms of writing and speaking.

That is why most Igbos have been alienated from their language and culture. More interesting is the fact that of all the governors of Igbo speaking states, Obi is the only one that would take note of this cultural anomaly and make a move to address it. Obi’s effort is therefore a clarion call on all Igbos in Nigeria and Diaspora to take more than a passing interest in their language and culture. We say this because people perceive the world through their language. A people’s world view is encoded in their language.
If the Igbo lose their language, they have invariably lost their cultural heritage and identity. There is no doubt that the speaking and writing of Igbo has steadily declined over the years at home, in school and in social fora.

To the average Igbo, it has become more fashionable to speak English and other languages except Igbo. Regrettably, most Igbo hold their town union meetings in English. Government business in Igbo states is entirely conducted in English. This pitiable but funny attitude must change before Igbo language can regain its lost pristine glory. For this attitudinal change to occur, governors in Igbo states should emulate the Peter Obi example and encourage the speaking and writing of Igbo in their domain.

We call on all Igbos to wake up from their linguistic slumber and take great pride in using their language. Obi has shown the light. Let other Igbo governors take a cue. The declining interest in vernacular languages is not peculiar to Igbo language. Other Nigerian languages face similar problems. Let there be a rejuvenation of interest in these seemingly endangered languages. That is the only way we can protect them and preserve our cultural heritage.

All the government cultural agencies should be involved in the promotion of our indigenous languages. Why can’t we use the local languages in our state legislative houses? Lagos State House of Assembly now conducts its business once a week in Yoruba. That is good. But, we believe that there is the need to go beyond this mere tokenism.

Earlier research by former Education Minister, Professor Babatunde Fafunwa, has established that a child learns better and faster in his indigenous language. Most industrially developed nations reached their technological heights through their local languages. We too can do so by deploying the resources of our local languages to bear on the study of mathematics and the sciences. The time to key into this initiative of reviving our indigenous languages and cultures is now.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/opinion/editorial/2010/June/06/editorial-60-06-2010-001.htm
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 3:26am On Jun 06, 2010
Nna nke a dikwa nma o!  wink

Asi nnoo na governor Imo, Abia, Ebonyi na Enugu ga eme udi ihea, Igbo agaghi anwu.

Ihe a ka m ji ekwu na ndi APGA ka anyi kwesiri itunyere akwukwo n'aro 2011.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Kobojunkie: 4:19am On Jun 06, 2010
Nothing wrong with Ibo language, and I don't sense it is even dying . . . .  I mean I did attend college in the East with a bunch of ibo secondary school graduates who barely spoke a word of English(Ibo was all they seemed to have). I remember having a class mate whose name was Grace James but the puzzling thing was her vocabulary was worse than that of a primary one student at Ayangbure Primary School. I just did not understand how they made JAMB, let alone college.

As much as I applaud this move, I believe the Governor should try even harder to improve the education system in his state. And I am not talking of computers in classes and some other vain moves. I mean serious improvements so students can get at least something comparable to that which their peers in developed countries, and india, boast of.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 4:29am On Jun 06, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Nothing wrong with Ibo Igbo language, and I don't sense it is even dying . . . .  I mean I did attend college in the East with a bunch of ibo Igbo secondary school graduates who barely spoke a word of English(Ibo Igbo was all they seemed to have). I remember having a class mate whose name was Grace James but the puzzling thing was her vocabulary was worse than that of a primary one student at Ayangbure Primary School. I just did not understand how they made JAMB, let alone college.

As much as I applaud this move, I believe the Governor should try even harder to improve the education system in his state. And I am not talking of computers in classes and some other vain moves. I mean serious improvements so students can get at least something comparable to that which their peers in developed countries, and india, boast of.

I think the governor has his priorities right on this.

Anambra state is emerging as one of the leading states in private primary and secondary education. Not to say that the state government has abandoned its role. The immediate problem is that most of these private schools discourage speaking of Igbo language, hence you find kids in the innermost nook of Anambra state who cannot speak Igbo.

That is unacceptable.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by cantell(m): 4:32am On Jun 06, 2010
Onlytruth,
We know say na Mr Ada faithful you be but you need to use the search button.
There's a post for this already.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-453276.0.html
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Kobojunkie: 4:35am On Jun 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

I think the governor has his priorities right on this.

Anambra state is emerging as one of the leading states in private primary and secondary education. Not to say that the state government has abandoned its role. The immediate problem is that most of these private schools discourage speaking of Igbo language, hence you find kids in the innermost nook of Anambra state who cannot speak Igbo.

That is unacceptable.

uummm . . . . Priorities of the state government is not in the situation that exists and plagues the many PUBLIC schools where most of the students till go? It should be PRIVATE schools where the government is actually meant to ALLOW freedoms? That the PUBLIC schools are decaying at a drastic rate is not an immediate problem, the immediate problem is that PRIVATE schools do not have IBO as mandatory course in their curriculum?
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 4:38am On Jun 06, 2010
cantell:

Onlytruth,
We know say na Mr Ada faithful you be but you need to use the search button.
There's a post for this already.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-453276.0.html

Just came across this news today in Sun. Never saw the first one.

I leave it to the discretion of the moderator.

An honest mistake.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 4:40am On Jun 06, 2010
Kobojunkie:

uummm . . . . Priorities of the state government is not in the situation that exists and plagues the many PUBLIC schools where most of the students till go? It should be PRIVATE schools where the government is actually meant to ALLOW freedoms?

Freedom to kill a language?

You can as well tell the government to allow human cloning in the name of medical research.

What is the role of government in the first place if not to protect the greater good?

Do you think private profiteers care much about public good? undecided
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Kobojunkie: 4:46am On Jun 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

Freedom to kill a language?

You can as well tell the government to allow human cloning in the name of medical research.
OH! If you do not teach Ibo in classes, you KILL the language, even when the language is widely spoken in the very community?

WOW
Onlytruth:
What is the role of government in the first place if not to protect the greater good?

Do you think private profiteers care much about public good? undecided

Do you know what PRIVATE means? I don't get your last question there. The domain of the government ought to be in the PUBLIC sector. What next? We have the governor mandating Ibo speaking in companies and homes across the state?

There are hundreds of public schools out there that need the governments attention ASAP. If the Government wants the Ibo language to survive, how about making sure people get good educatioin in public schools and get thought Ibo there too?
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 4:52am On Jun 06, 2010
Kobojunkie:

OH! If you do not teach Ibo in classes, you KILL the language, even when the language is widely spoken in the very community?

Duh? Of course if you don't teach it, you inadvertently kill it. undecided

WOW
Do you know what PRIVATE means? I don't get your last question there. The domain of the government ought to be in the PUBLIC sector. What next? We have the governor mandating Ibo speaking in companies and homes across the state?

I don't think Obi was mandating private schools to teach Igbo (I wish he does that though undecided).

There are hundreds of public schools out there that need the governments attention ASAP. If the Government wants the Ibo language to survive, how about making sure people get good educatioin in public schools and get thought Ibo there too?

What makes you think he is not doing both now? The man launched ANIDS (Anambra Integrated Development Strategy), he is developing EVERY sector in Anambra state. Doesn't sound like a man who omits things like public education.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Kobojunkie: 5:03am On Jun 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

Duh? Of course if you don't teach it, you inadvertently kill it. undecided

I don't think Obi was mandating private schools to teach Igbo (I wish he does that though undecided).

Well, as much as I do not mind this, I think he should first deal with the serious needs in the PUBLIC school area.

Onlytruth:
What makes you think he is not doing both now? The man launched ANIDS (Anambra Integrated Development Strategy), he is developing EVERY sector in Anambra state. Doesn't sound like a man who omits things like public education.

Oh Wait! You mean this is not the same Obi who only started started a second term just some months ago? This is not the same Obi that did next to nothing to rehabilitate the same Public schools during his first term?
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 5:35am On Jun 06, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Well, as much as I do not mind this, I think he should first deal with the serious needs in the PUBLIC school area.

Oh Wait! You mean this is not the same Obi who only started started a second term just some months ago? This is not the same Obi that did next to nothing to rehabilitate the same Public schools during his first term?

Well, if he did "next to nothing" as you say, why did he win the last elections? How many people from Anambra state have you seen protesting his victory?

Just some food for thought.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Kobojunkie: 5:40am On Jun 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

Well, if he did "next to nothing" as you say, why did he win the last elections? How many people from Anambra state have you seen protesting his victory?

Just some food for thought.

Oh yes, let us now PRETEND that Nigerians/Anambrarians are known to PROTEST bad government. In fact let us pretend that the people of the great Nation/and state has repelled all bad government in the past. So, for Obi to have been elected for a second term absolutely means Obi did better than all the other contenders in the same state. grin
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 5:49am On Jun 06, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Oh yes, let us now PRETEND that Nigerians/Anambrarians are known to PROTEST bad government. In fact let us pretend that the people of the great Nation/and state has repelled all bad government in the past. So, for Obi to have been elected for a second term absolutely means Obi did better than all the other contenders in the same state. grin

As a matter of fact one can make that argument with a straight face. I don't think you know how popular candidates like Ngige is in Anambra state. So, if Obi won against such heavy weights like Ngige and Soludo, there must be something he is doing better in terms of leadership.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by cpatra(f): 10:49am On Jun 06, 2010
Soludo is no match for Obi where Anambrarians are. He might be ur super hero , but not in Anambra.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 06, 2010
with all the noise these denizens of the master tribe keep making about igbo superiority/hegemony, it comes as a shock to hear that their culture is dying
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jun 06, 2010
oyb:

with all the noise these denizens of the master tribe keep making about igbo superiority/hegemony, it comes as a shock to hear that their culture is dying
so igbo language is becoming extinct, ope o !!!!!!!!!!
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by patrick89(m): 4:08pm On Jun 06, 2010
We don't need your contribution
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Kobojunkie: 8:51pm On Jun 06, 2010
Onlytruth:

As a matter of fact one can make that argument with a straight face. I don't think you know how popular candidates like Ngige is in Anambra state. So, if Obi won against such heavy weights like Ngige and Soludo, there must be something he is doing better in terms of leadership.

Actually, you cannot make that argument with a straight face. Votes has nothing to do with actual ability. That the people elected does not mean he was actually a better candidate than Ngige. He was simply the people's choice and the people's choice is NOT ALWAYS the best choice.

oyb:

Roflmao!!
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by EzeUche(m): 8:56pm On Jun 06, 2010
oyb:

Our hegemony has been on the wane since we lost the Civil War. If we had won, all the minorities would have been speaking Igbo, but remember that Igbo is the lingua 'franca' of the East.

You hear Ijaw, Efik, Ibibio, Igala and other groups speaking Igbo.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by EzeUche(m): 8:58pm On Jun 06, 2010
Gov. Obi has my support on this issue

However, we must get rid of all these dialects and make everyone speak STANDARD IGBO!

Our culture must be formalized as well.

Just like the Han Chinese did a thousand years ago, we must do this today with our own culture.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by infobut(m): 9:50pm On Jun 06, 2010
This is a positive step i remember attending college in the east and didn't speak or write Igbo well even on graduating simply because it was relegated to the backgroung. Peter Obi is on track . Kudos
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by AndreUweh(m): 11:34pm On Jun 06, 2010
It is an outright stupidity on the part of those nairalanders who type Ibo instead of Igbo. Same as those who type Yoruba instead of Yoruba. Shameful.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Kobojunkie: 11:44pm On Jun 06, 2010
infobut:

This is a positive step i remember attending college in the east and didn't speak or write Igbo well even on graduating simply because it was relegated to the backgroung. Peter Obi is on track . Kudos

Why in the world would you NEED to read or write in IBO is you are in College and not a LANGUAGE major?
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 12:20am On Jun 07, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Why in the world would you NEED to read or write in IBO is you are in College and not a LANGUAGE major?

Why in world would any Nigerian and African ask this type of silly question?

Do you realize that MILLIONS of Africans speak this language?
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Kobojunkie: 12:21am On Jun 07, 2010
Onlytruth:

Why in world would any Nigerian and African ask this that is silly question?

Do you realize that MILLIONS of Africans speak this language?

And that answers the question HOW?
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 12:24am On Jun 07, 2010
Kobojunkie:

And that answers the question HOW?

Do you realize that Ndigbo is a nation of about 40 million people?
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 12:24am On Jun 07, 2010
Portugal is approx 10 million people.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Kobojunkie: 12:33am On Jun 07, 2010
Onlytruth:

Do you realize that Ndigbo is a nation of about 40 million people?

That still does not answer the question I asked there. What has 40 million to do with the question I asked? By the way, are the 40 million all of the same dialect and language or are we speaking of the Ibibios, Ijaws, and all other ethnic groups in the Eastern region here?
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by 2CatWoman: 12:43am On Jun 07, 2010
This is just my veiwpoint :-

1) Teach kids in the local language at primary school level, English language being the exception.

2) Introduce more Nigerian-centred history and literature. Forget Shakespeare, even some UK kids struggle with this. Mungo Park should never, ever be mentioned again shocked
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 12:46am On Jun 07, 2010
Kobojunkie:

That still does not answer the question I asked there. What has 40 million to do with the question I asked? By the way, are the 40 million all of the same dialect and language or are we speaking of the Ibibios, Ijaws, and all other ethnic groups in the Eastern region here?

Why do you like being deliberately mischievous? So suddenly every one in Eastern Nigeria is Igbo.  undecided

Anyway, Ndigbo in Nigeria are in these states, Anambra, Imo, Delta, Enugu, Abia, Ebonyi, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and even Edo state. A proper Igbo language harmonization is not a bad idea, and that is part of what Peter Obi is trying to do.
If the language is packaged right, the chance of it dying would be reduced.
Re: Governor Peter Obi Reviving Igbo Language And Culture by Onlytruth(m): 12:48am On Jun 07, 2010
2CatWoman:

This is just my veiwpoint :-

1) Teach kids in the local language at primary school level, English language being the exception.

2) Introduce more Nigerian-centred history and literature. Forget Shakespeare, even some UK kids struggle with this. Mungo Park should never, ever be mentioned again shocked

LOL! @ 2CatWoman grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela / These Females Soldiers Will Teach The Nigerian Army How To Sort Out Boko Haram / Ebira People Taught Hausas Fanaticism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.