Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

MC Tagwaye (Buhari look alike Comedian) is from Anambra. His Real Name Is Obinna - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / MC Tagwaye (Buhari look alike Comedian) is from Anambra. His Real Name Is Obinna (16047 Views)

MC Tagwaye Weds Hauwa Uwais (Photos) / A Comedian Is About To Become A Baby Daddy - Stella Dimokokorkus / Burial Of Chime Amaechina In Anambra. His Corpse Pictured (Video, Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MC Tagwaye (Buhari look alike Comedian) is from Anambra. His Real Name Is Obinna by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 24, 2018
Buhari’s comedian doppelganger: It’s funny when people address me like I’m President – MC Tagwaye

By Nathaniel Bivan & Hafsah Abubakar Matazu | Publish Date: Mar 4 2017 2:00AM

Obinna Simon, popularly known as MC Tagwaye is a comedian known for mimicking President Muhammadu Buhari. In this interview, he talks about how he started, the reception he gets from fans, his first encounter with the president, and more. Excerpts:

Daily Trust: Why are you called MC Tagwaye?

MC Tagwaye: I actually chose to call myself MC Tagwaye for the stage. When I started comedy, a lot of people said why not use President Buhari or President of Nigeria and all that, but it sounded too serious, but MC Tagwaye seemed okay to me. Tagwaye in Hausa means twins and I am a twin. My twin brother is still alive so I chose to go by the name Tagwaye.

DT: Where are you from?

Tagwaye: I’m from Anambra State, but was born and lived all my life in Katsina State. My father spent forty years of his life there.

DT: So, your platform was built on mimicking the president?

Tagwaye: I used to do MC jobs and because I’m funny my friends and family encouraged me. They all kept saying, what are you doing, you are this funny and yet you are not utilizing it? So, I mimicked a lot of people in Katsina even before the president.

DT: How long ago did you start and what were you doing before then?

Tagwaye: I was a classroom teacher who taught Biology, Applied Sciences, Agriculture, and anything related to the sciences for about seven years. I also worked with a company and from there decided to diversify.

DT: What was it like when you were a teacher?

Tagwaye: A lot of people meet me and say, you read sciences and you are dong this. You shouldn’t have studied it in school. Then they suggest I study Theatre Arts or something quite different.

Even when I was a teacher in school, the comedian side of me always helps in the class. Although I was very strict and was the Discipline Master, children always wanted me in their class because I was a disciplinarian who at the same time knew when to play with them.

DT: How far back did you start mimicking Buhari?

Tagwaye: It was immediately after his swearing-in.

DT: What was it like when you first mimicked him?

Tagwaye: Everything started when I listened to one of his interviews in Kaduna with Sahara Reporters. It was a nine-minute interview. It’s not like it took me weeks or months. If I have an interest in you or like your character, I can do whatever I want to do. The first time I mimicked Buhari was on Vision FM Katsina. I am still working with them and also with Farin Wata TV.

DT: How did this happen?

Tagwaye: The first time I went to do the programme on Vision FM, someone called the MD who was in Abuja and told him the station had gone big. He asked how, and they told him that, you had the President in your studio today, live. He now told them he wasn’t sure and needed to confirm. When he called the manager in Katsina he was told it was actually a comedian that came in. It trended that time and that was the first time.

DT: What negative comments have you had so far?

Tagwaye: I have had a lot of negative comments from friends who criticize my mimicking the President, especially those who don’t like the President. But I went through training of about a month in Abuja on how to handle and respond to fans, particularly on social media.

DT: How has that helped you so far?

Tagwaye: It has helped a lot. Before I could respond harshly to rude or negative comments but now there are some I wave away or ignore. But funny enough you come across die-hard fans who fight for you.

DT: Since you started mimicking the president, how has it affected your life and career?

Tagwaye: I have been able to meet dignitaries, governors, ministers, directors, you name it and then there’s the respect I get in the society. When people call me they address me as if I am the president. If I go to a programme, the VIP treatment I get is funny.

DT: What was your first meeting with the president like?

Tagwaye: My first meeting with him was a shock. I met him in Katsina at the Economic Summit in 2016 when I asked to be photographed with him. If you don’t get close to him you will never know the kind of person he is. Buhari is one of the simplest and down-to-earth individuals. When I was approaching him where, SSS were about to stop me but he told them to let me. Before I got to where he was, he had stood up already to have a photograph with me. The governor now told him that I am a twin and he asked where my twin was and said we should all take a photograph. It was just wonderful.

DT: How do you prepare before you get on stage?

Tagwaye: I don’t prepare. I just wear my costume and go on stage. Recently, I started writing speeches before performing, but before I didn’t do that. I come on stage, do my thing and go. At times people tell me to set questions for people so that people can ask what I am prepared for, but I said no, I don’t want to know whom the person is that is asking the question. I am always ready to respond.

DT: What is the most challenging question you have been asked?

Tagwaye: One of the most challenging questions was in Lagos where someone asked me if it was true that during my daughter’s wedding, Zahra Buhari, I paid a musician, Korede Bello three million naira. I asked him, ‘do you have the receipt?’ He said no, so I told him he doesn’t have any evidence.

DT: What’s life like for you outside comedy?

Tagwaye: I am myself with friends but this is one part my fans don’t want to accept. Sometimes I do live videos on Instagram. Fans do not want to accept that apart from Buhari there is another man behind the character. They always want me to be in character. There are a lot of things I don’t do, places I can’t go, like clubs and other gatherings because His Excellency will not be seen in such a place. I have to protect the character I am portraying.

DT: Do you have a TV show?

Tagwaye: No, I don’t. Anytime I have an idea, I go to the studio, do my thing, and my editor edits. For instance, there is a video I want to do but I have to wait for the return of the president. I have three scripts.

DT: Do you intend to go into acting?

Tagwaye: Of course, I do. Even the mimicking I am doing is acting because each time I go for a programme I remain in character till the end. Each time I wear my costume, I assume the president’s character till I am done.

DT: Have you been approached by any filmmaker?

Tagwaye: Yes, many. But I have not accepted any because I am still considering.

DT: What type of movie would you like to feature in?

Tagwaye: I will like to feature in a TV series. I have been approached about one entitled ‘The Man Buhari.’

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/buhari-s-comedian-doppelganger-it-s-funny-when-people-address-me-like-i-m-president--mc-tagwaye/187826.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MC Tagwaye (Buhari look alike Comedian) is from Anambra. His Real Name Is Obinna by Uteghe(m): 3:54pm On Jun 24, 2018
Ndigbp for PMB
Re: MC Tagwaye (Buhari look alike Comedian) is from Anambra. His Real Name Is Obinna by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jun 24, 2018
By America definition, he is from Katsina state..
By Nigeria definition, he is from Anambra

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: MC Tagwaye (Buhari look alike Comedian) is from Anambra. His Real Name Is Obinna by Abdulnur(m): 4:07pm On Jun 24, 2018
Lol, rate at which southners are stealing northerners make me think Osinbajo is the only southners with integrity.
Re: MC Tagwaye (Buhari look alike Comedian) is from Anambra. His Real Name Is Obinna by Marvell23(m): 5:25pm On May 03, 2020
Mc Tagwaye full biography and everything about him can be found here-https://www.naijaonlineguide.com/mc-tagwaye-biography-family-career-networth/

1 Like

Re: MC Tagwaye (Buhari look alike Comedian) is from Anambra. His Real Name Is Obinna by NobleAngell(f): 5:46pm On May 03, 2020
The resemblance is striking but not to the extend of calling him Buhari's doppelganger. I don't agree. You can tell them apart even on photograph.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

MC Galaxy Subtly Shades Soundcity Over Awards / Etinosa Idemudia Celebrates Daughter's 1st Birthday On Christmas Day (Photos) / Charly Boys' Latest Bike!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.