Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

Why I Ditched Manchester United For Chelsea Transfer - John Mikel Obi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why I Ditched Manchester United For Chelsea Transfer - John Mikel Obi (353 Views)

John Mikel Obi Retires From Football / John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family / John Mikel Obi Playing With His Twin Daughters (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Ditched Manchester United For Chelsea Transfer - John Mikel Obi by Zarazzini: 6:24pm On Jun 26, 2018
Ahead of the crunch match against Argentina, Super Eagles captain, John Obi Mikel reveals why he choose to join Chelsea Fc after signing for Manchester United.
Twelve years ago in 2006, two English premier league clubs fought dirty over a youngster, John Mikel Obi. The deal remained one of the most complicated football transfers of all time. The Nigerian looked set to move to Old Trafford from Lyn Oslo in 2006 and was even pictured in a United shirt but shockingly only to join Chelsea instead.
John Obi Mikel has revealed his decision to join Chelsea over Manchester United changed the lives of three people. The Nigerian looked set to move to Old Trafford from Lyn Oslo in 2006 and was even pictured in a United shirt - only to join Chelsea instead. Chelsea paid United £12m in compensation to push through the deal for Mikel, who spent 10 years at Stamford Bridge.

Mikel has now opened up on his decision and admitted it was not a selfish one with Chelsea signing three other Nigerians to keep him company in England. "I had all these people on both sides fighting over me. Agents, managers, strangers, guys handing me papers,"
"I had Sir Alex Ferguson calling me on the phone on one side. And I had Roman Abramovich on the other side, putting me up in London. It was really confusing and I was a kid, you know?

"After a while, someone from FIFA gave me a phone call. They said, “Listen, we know you’re young and you have these two clubs fighting over you. We can’t decide for you. You can only go where you want. You have to tell us.
"It was the biggest decision of my life. You know what made my mind up? Chelsea had signed three other players from Nigeria along with me.

"These guys… their lives depended on the decision I was making. If I went to United, they were gone. If I went to Chelsea, they were going to have a career.

"No matter how long it lasted, that was important to me. Just to give them a chance, you know? I chose Chelsea, and four lives changed that day."

Mikel is Nigeria captain at the World Cup with the Super Eagles facing Argentina in their final Group D clash.

http://www.sportfocus.com.ng/2018/06/why-mikel-chose-to-play-for-chelsea-over-manchester-united.html

Re: Why I Ditched Manchester United For Chelsea Transfer - John Mikel Obi by deepwater(f): 7:00pm On Jun 26, 2018
I like that

(1) (Reply)

Sir Alex Ferguson Speaks First Time After Emergency Brain Surgery- Video / PROOF THAT Cristiano Ronaldo Is Really Surpassing Lionel Messi / Bet9ja Sure 100% Weekend Game..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.