Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,473 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This (29774 Views)

Amazing Moment Nigerian Lady Is Reunited With Her Kids & Hubby In UK (pics/vid) / Female Nairalander Hanging Out With Her Kids. / Nigerian woman cries out for help after Swedish Govt. took her kids from her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Nobody: 8:20am On Jun 28, 2018
HeWrites:
A Nigerian mother has shared her plan to prevent her kids from getting addicted to video games and tablets this holiday and it's absolutely brilliant.

Samiah Oyekan-Ahmed wrote a binding document for her son to sign ahead of the holiday period. The document is a list of rules which regulate screen time, game time, and even the amount of snacks that can be eaten during this holiday.

Included in the document are conditions that have to be met before her kids can enjoy these holiday benefits. She also listed consequences to be faced if the rules are flouted and also alternative ways her kids could engage themselves.

A lot of parents found the rules to be quite brilliant and say they plan to try it with their kids.

Sharing the document on Instagram, Samiah wrote;
"Holiday soon! God help us all!

Binding document for my son to sign!

Feel free to copy if you’re trying to prevent video game/tablet addiction this holiday!

I will type this up and he shall sign. Infact a little winchy part of me is hoping he breaks the rules so I can just pack them all up! ?

Im also rationing snacks this holiday! We will pack up treat packs for each day! If you like eat all your snacks before 9am, if you like save it to last the whole day! Your call!

I’m fully on OPERATION PRESERVE MY SANITY!
PS: Before I’m bombarded with ideas for summer holiday activities, we have those sorted thank you very much. ?"

Below is the document;

https://www.torimill.com/2018/06/mum-plans-to-prevent-her-kids-from-getting-addicted-to-video-games-and-tablet-using-this.html

Na wen ur children go find new habits whey u go sabi wetin u de do ur self
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by kvngjesse(m): 8:38am On Jun 28, 2018
Tokziby:
Nice, May God help u to achieve this wonderful aim.
Technology has done more harm than good to kids of today. Early exposure to these things is really bad and difficult to control. Kids don't want to go out and play with their friend anymore , they are comfortable sitting their ass all day at home on the tablet or game console which has resulted into many bad things like anti social behavior, early addiction, lack of exercise(running & playing around) which most times end up being obese or unhealthy living, and the worst of all is the Internet that nearly everything is either violence or adult content from social media to music videos.
May God help us with these kids of our time, their brain is something else, they do and say things that is 10 times their age.
Lack of exercise grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Sijo01(f): 8:47am On Jun 28, 2018
Did same thing for my kid bro way back; monitory reward was even attached if he adhere to the rules. Posted it close to his mirror for easy sighting, trust me, guyman flopped within two weeks sad sad
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by AiiVee(m): 8:51am On Jun 28, 2018
hope it works...but this could be done without all these attention or doc styff
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by GoodMuyis(m): 8:55am On Jun 28, 2018
Alhajiemeritus:
Back in the days, my mom would pack up our Nintendo Box.
I and My brother would always locate it and We'd keep it in our room.
Whenever she stepped out, we'd pick up our game and play.

Good old days.

You deserve Red Card for the *circumvention*
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by mimimile93: 8:56am On Jun 28, 2018
HeWrites:
A Nigerian mother has shared her plan to prevent her kids from getting addicted to video games and tablets this holiday and it's absolutely brilliant.

Samiah Oyekan-Ahmed wrote a binding document for her son to sign ahead of the holiday period. The document is a list of rules which regulate screen time, game time, and even the amount of snacks that can be eaten during this holiday.

Included in the document are conditions that have to be met before her kids can enjoy these holiday benefits. She also listed consequences to be faced if the rules are flouted and also alternative ways her kids could engage themselves.

A lot of parents found the rules to be quite brilliant and say they plan to try it with their kids.

Feel free to copy if you’re trying to prevent video game/tablet addiction this holiday!

I will type this up and he shall sign. Infact a little winchy part of me is hoping he breaks the rules so I can just pack them all up! ?

Im also rationing snacks this holiday! We will pack up treat packs for each day! If you like eat all your snacks before 9am, if you like save it to last the whole day! Your call!

PS: Before I’m bombarded with ideas for summer holiday activities, we have those sorted thank you very much. ?"

Below is the document;

https://www.torimill.com/2018/06/mum-plans-to-prevent-her-kids-from-getting-addicted-to-video-games-and-tablet-using-this.html

You wanna stop your boy child from being a game addict? Do you know the benefits of being a game addict in this computer age outweighs the consequences?

Go ask a programmer....
Ediot!
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Nobody: 8:57am On Jun 28, 2018
Good idea though I think that their mother is very generous with the time they are allowed to play with such gadgets. Still, I would take it a step further and suggest to negotiate such contracts with the kids together. If children/teenagers are involved in the process of setting rules and expectations, their identification with such document will be higher and by doing so they learn to reason and argue and are empowered in the knowledge that they can shape and influence their environment, which is also a lesson in democracy. They also learn to take responsibility for themselves and those around them.
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Nobody: 9:01am On Jun 28, 2018
Tokziby:
Nice, May God help u to achieve this wonderful aim.
Technology has done more harm than good to kids of today. Early exposure to these things is really bad and difficult to control. Kids don't want to go out and play with their friend anymore , they are comfortable sitting their ass all day at home on the tablet or game console which has resulted into many bad things like anti social behavior, early addiction, lack of exercise(running & playing around) which most times end up being obese or unhealthy living, and the worst of all is the Internet that nearly everything is either violence or adult content from social media to music videos.
May God help us with these kids of our time, their brain is something else, they do and say things that is 10 times their age.

The kids who suffer from excessive and uncontrolled media consumption are in the minority, I would argue. In my environment, children still play outside and do sports and I believe that technology has also had very good impact in many cases. Let us not paint horror scenarios based on extreme cases. Many children today are smarter and have skills that many children back in the day did not have. When I talk to children today, I am full of admiration and appreciation for them.
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Neoteny(m): 9:10am On Jun 28, 2018
Foolish woman.

She has no idea what she's depriving her kids.

1 Like

Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Firmjudge(m): 9:11am On Jun 28, 2018
Vickygarl:
Do u have children? No need to answer pls
Don't be bitter over nothing.
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by nabegibeg: 9:33am On Jun 28, 2018
HeWrites:

Below is the document;

This is not a smart move

Minors are not recognized by law so any agreement is not legally binding. It is null and void
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 28, 2018
nabegibeg:

This is not a smart move

Minors are not recognized by law so any agreement is not legally binding. It is null and void

Did she say/write she will call the cops on her kids or take them to court? Your comment does not make any sense.
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Bluezy13(m): 10:38am On Jun 28, 2018
potent5:
I may have to copy this for my boys. But I hope there's a provision for time to play and time to help out with chores in the house.
You didn't read the list, did you??
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Tokziby: 10:45am On Jun 28, 2018
Mindfulness:

The kids who suffer from excessive and uncontrolled media consumption are in the minority, I would argue. In my environment, children still play outside and do sports and I believe that technology has also had very good impact in many cases. Let us not paint horror scenarios based on extreme cases. Many children today are smarter and have skills that many children back in the day did not have. When I talk to children today, I am full of admiration and appreciation for them.

I'm not saying u should deprive them or completely take everything away from them but there must be a control over the consumption. If u look closely at the environment the woman resides, u'd see that it's in the West and that's where those things can go extreme if she doesn't take appropriate measure.
The kids of today would prefer u hit them physically as punishment than to take away their tabs, phones or console.
I believe there should be control over the consumption of technology to a certain limit.
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by potent5(m): 11:07am On Jun 28, 2018
Bluezy13:

You didn't read the list, did you??
Pls give me the gist of the list. Thank you!

Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by medexico(m): 11:17am On Jun 28, 2018
dazzlingd:
The kid should sign the document then flaunt all the rules... Afterall, any legal agreement with a minor is void

The kid does not know this
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 28, 2018
Tokziby:

I'm not saying u should deprive them or completely take everything away from them but there must be a control over the consumption. If u look closely at the environment the woman resides, u'd see that it's in the West and that's where those things can go extreme if she doesn't take appropriate measure.
The kids of today would prefer u hit them physically as punishment than to take away their tabs, phones or console.
I believe there should be control over the consumption of technology to a certain limit.

I agree and most parents I know do so and I live in the West.
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Bluezy13(m): 11:35am On Jun 28, 2018
potent5:
Pls give me the gist of the list. Thank you!
You have to change the way you take alcohol cheesy
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by potent5(m): 11:41am On Jun 28, 2018
Bluezy13:

You have to change the way you take alcohol cheesy
Already done so. How about the gist of the list.
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Bluezy13(m): 11:49am On Jun 28, 2018
potent5:

Already done so. How about the gist of the list.
Good.

Now, Check Rule N0. 3 in the list with subheading immediate dealbreakers
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by fpeter(f): 12:17pm On Jun 28, 2018
potent5:
I may have to copy this for my boys. But I hope there's a provision for time to play and time to help out with chores in the house.

You were in a hurry to comment and so you completely forgot to read.
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by Blonchilli(m): 6:14am On Jun 29, 2018
psalmson001:
I remember my mum seizing the memory card of my PSone back then thinking without it the game wont play. Oboy u need to see the schock on her face when she got back from work and saw me playing the game joyfully without d memory card grin........but i had to start dat Metal Gear Solid all ova again from d beginning.
Snake!!!!!!!!!! cheesy
Re: Mum Plans To Stop Her Kids From Getting Addicted To Games & Tablet Using This by chinex104(m): 9:37pm On Dec 08, 2018
That plan might work
u'll b lucky if u sleep well
Abeg, shine eye well

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Parent Wants Me To Move Back Home At 30. Please Advise / I Don't Want My Mother To Come For My Omugwo / Man Unable To Marry His Benue Girlfriend With ₦600,000 As Her Family Wants ₦1.2M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.