Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? (1926 Views)

Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price / Does My Brother's Wife Have The Right To Walk Me Out Of My Brother's House ? / Woman Delivers Quintuplets After 20 Years Of Marriage Without A Child [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by simone2017: 3:45pm On Jun 28, 2018
Hello All,

I am happy i find a platform to share my worry and ask for help. I am a woman from south Asia and I immigrated to the US a few years ago. I met a Nigerian man who said he loved me and wanted to spend his life with me. I trusted him with everything i had and got married to him. I came to Nigeria for the wedding (court wedding, there was no family). Then I came back to the US with the intention to apply for his papers. but he started having affairs with other women while he was still in Nigeria. I was very sad and depressed and was very reluctant to apply for his papers. when he see that I am not applying for him, he changed completely and then started finding everything wrong with me. he also started verbally abusing me and my family. things are very bad and we do not speak anymore. I asked him to file for divorce since the marriage certificate is with him. He said he doesnt need a divorce and that everything is over between us. I do not know what to do. i cannot afford to pay lawyers in the US and i cannot afford to travel to Nigeria. Can anyone please help me and let me know what i should do? Because the marriage is legal and I do not trust the man, he can come and ask for property etc afterwards. I do not know if he is still in Nigeria or if he married to someone else. He mentioned he can get forged divorce papers. Is it true that a forged divorce papers is easily obtained in Nigeria? Or does the man really doesnt need divorce to marry again? He messed my life and move on. this is very unfair. Please help me and let me know what I can do.

thank you
Simone
Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by davidadenrele: 7:25pm On Jun 28, 2018
simone2017:
Hello All,

I am happy i find a platform to share my worry and ask for help. I am a woman from south Asia and I immigrated to the US a few years ago. I met a Nigerian man who said he loved me and wanted to spend his life with me. I trusted him with everything i had and got married to him. I came to Nigeria for the wedding (court wedding, there was no family). Then I came back to the US with the intention to apply for his papers. but he started having affairs with other women while he was still in Nigeria. I was very sad and depressed and was very reluctant to apply for his papers. when he see that I am not applying for him, he changed completely and then started finding everything wrong with me. he also started verbally abusing me and my family. things are very bad and we do not speak anymore. I asked him to file for divorce since the marriage certificate is with him. He said he doesnt need a divorce and that everything is over between us. I do not know what to do. i cannot afford to pay lawyers in the US and i cannot afford to travel to Nigeria. Can anyone please help me and let me know what i should do? Because the marriage is legal and I do not trust the man, he can come and ask for property etc afterwards. I do not know if he is still in Nigeria or if he married to someone else. He mentioned he can get forged divorce papers. Is it true that a forged divorce papers is easily obtained in Nigeria? Or does the man really doesnt need divorce to marry again? He messed my life and move on. this is very unfair. Please help me and let me know what I can do.

thank you for
Simone

Hello i read your story and i feel for you, to enquired if your man is really and legally married to you, you need the service of very good and professionally lawyer, the lawyer will enquire date you got married from the registry in Ikoyi,Lagos names of married couples is registered at Federal Registry Ikoyi, otherwise he might just be fooling you, by way of fake arrangement that you are legal married to him to, people all sorts to at the registry all in the name of travelling overseas mostly especially US.

And if after enquiry it was confirmed you are married to him legally you might have to personally come to Nigeria and aked for certified true copy of the original certificate as a woman you have legitimate right to asked for a certified true copy of your marriage certificate if it was lost in transit or stolen, and before been issue the certificate you must have obtain a sworn affidavit before a reputable court of Lagos.

As far as a Nigerian consititution is concern you nothing to be worried about in as much there are no issue or kids in the marriage as the court will want to protect the welfare of the children if kids are involved.

Lastly you will need prayers and patience as there are many divorce issues in court in Lagos thats awaiting judgement if you are so much in a hurry i will advise you asked your lawyer to up country state like Kwara, state, Ogun state, Oyo state, Osun state this states mentioned have very few divorce issues in court while in Lagos court there are over 2,500 divorce cases awaiting dissolution and trials. I wish you all the best and sorry about your failed marriage experince.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by slizzyb(m): 7:38pm On Jun 28, 2018
i think the already given advice is the best, wish you luck to regaining your happiness
Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by Timewilltell(f): 7:11am On Jun 29, 2018
Dumb are foreign women ,always thinking they are sh*t to nigerian men grin. You got played , he is probably living it up with his true naija wife using your money grin. I hope we get a story like this from those ugly Kenyans and South Africans who think naija guys like them pass naija women.
Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by kapelvej: 7:17am On Jun 29, 2018
Google up Nigerian lawyers online and contact anyone for help with divorce. Alternatively, contact the Nigerian Bar association and they will be able to help you with a lawer. All the best
Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by simone2017: 9:39am On Jun 29, 2018
davidadenrele:

Hello i read your story and i feel for you, to enquired if your man is really and legally married to you, you need the service of very good and professionally lawyer, the lawyer will enquire date you got married from the registry in Ikoyi,Lagos names of married couples is registered at Federal Registry Ikoyi, otherwise he might just be fooling you, by way of fake arrangement that you are legal married to him to, people all sorts to at the registry all in the name of travelling overseas mostly especially US.

And if after enquiry it was confirmed you are married to him legally you might have to personally come to Nigeria and aked for certified true copy of the original certificate as a woman you have legitimate right to asked for a certified true copy of your marriage certificate if it was lost in transit or stolen, and before been issue the certificate you must have obtain a sworn affidavit before a reputable court of Lagos.

As far as a Nigerian consititution is concern you nothing to be worried about in as much there are no issue or kids in the marriage as the court will want to protect the welfare of the children if kids are involved.

Lastly you will need prayers and patience as there are many divorce issues in court in Lagos thats awaiting judgement if you are so much in a hurry i will advise you asked your lawyer to up country state like Kwara, state, Ogun state, Oyo state, Osun state this states mentioned have very few divorce issues in court while in Lagos court there are over 2,500 divorce cases awaiting dissolution and trials. I wish you all the best and sorry about your failed marriage experince.

Hello davidadenrele

I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to reply to my post. Thank you so much, i have read your reply and will try to do as you advised. Just wanted to let you know that the registry was legit. I came to Nigeria and we did the marriage at Federal Registry Ikoyi. Also, we do not have kids together. It amazes me the kind of people we have in this world, reading wedding vows while holding the bible in his hands meant nothing to this man.
When i was going through hard and rough days because of how this man treated me, I was even reluctant to talk to any person from Nigeria thinking all of them would turn out to be traitors. But how wrong i was. from the replies i got on this post, am convinced there are still nice people in Nigeria and also around the world.

Thank you
Simone
Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by simone2017: 9:40am On Jun 29, 2018
slizzyb:
i think the already given advice is the best, wish you luck to regaining your happiness

Hello slizzyb,

Thank you so much.
Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by simone2017: 9:42am On Jun 29, 2018
kapelvej:
Google up Nigerian lawyers online and contact anyone for help with divorce. Alternatively, contact the Nigerian Bar association and they will be able to help you with a lawer. All the best

Hello kapelvej,

Thank you for the advice. I will try and contact Nigerian lawyers and also the Nigerian Bar association.
thanks
Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by simone2017: 9:50am On Jun 29, 2018
Timewilltell:
Dumb are foreign women ,always thinking they are sh*t to nigerian men grin. You got played , he is probably living it up with his true naija wife using your money grin. I hope we get a story like this from those ugly Kenyans and South Africans who think naija guys like them pass naija women.

who the hell are you to call anyone dumb and ugly?? once i read your reply i was sure ur a frustrated woman whose man aparently chose a beautiful foreign woman (Kenyan or South African!!! Lol!) over you. So i checked your profile and bang!! ur a woman!

you know nothing about my background and profession, so better watch ur tongue and choose ur words properly. I got played? Maybe you are rit here. maybe he is living with his true naija wife, am sure the wife must be someone like you. coz i bet that kind of man will have a wife with a mentality like you.

and yea, when we love someone, we dnt care about which country the person is from, or his colour and religion. but reading you comment i can see there are still people with this sick mentality. go take out ur frustration somewhere else babe, not here where people are seeking advice and help.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by Timewilltell(f): 9:54am On Jun 29, 2018
simone2017:

who the hell are you to call anyone dumb and ugly?? once i read your reply i was sure ur a frustrated woman whose man aparently chose a beautiful foreign woman (Kenyan or South African!!! Lol!) over you. So i checked your profile and bang!! ur a woman!

you know nothing about my background and profession, so better watch ur tongue and choose ur words properly. I got played? Maybe you are rit here. maybe he is living with his true naija wife, am sure the wife must be someone like you. coz i bet that kind of man will have a wife with a mentality like you.

and yea, when we love someone, we dnt care about which country the person is from, or his colour and religion. but reading you comment i can see there are still people with this sick mentality. go take out ur frustration somewhere else babe, not here where people are seeking advice and help.

Shut up dumbass , you got played with the man is where he belongs now . With his naija woman. grin grin grin
Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by simone2017: 10:01am On Jun 29, 2018
Timewilltell:

Shut up dumbass , you got played with the man is where he belongs now . With his naija woman. grin grin grin

Lol thank God am not having to spend my life with that kind of person. ur so rit, he is where he belongs. haha

I dnt usually give attention to barking dogs on the street. but am doing it today coz this particular dog might need some help
May God bless you, reduce ur frustration and insecurity and the dog can keep barking! tada!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by Timewilltell(f): 10:14am On Jun 29, 2018
simone2017:

Lol thank God am not having to spend my life with that kind of person. ur so rit, he is where he belongs. haha

I dnt usually give attention to barking dogs on the street. but am doing it today coz this particular dog might need some help
May God bless you, reduce ur frustration and insecurity and the dog can keep barking! tada!!!!

Lol you got used and dumped for a naija chick grin. Get on with.your life slt grin. You better tell your other foreign friends like South Africans that their turn is coming lol.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 29, 2018
Timewilltell:

Lol you got used and dumped for a naija chick grin. Get on with.your life slt grin. You better tell your other foreign friends like South Africans that their turn is coming lol.
Calm down babe, you don't have to add salt to injury. Our stupid men are soiling the good name of this nation with their greed and you applauding his misdemeanor doesn't make you any better. They play you here (home) and still go to play others women abroad (away).. She seeks for advice if you can't help with any don't add to it.

11 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by Timewilltell(f): 10:52am On Jun 29, 2018
yettymuse:
Calm down babe, you don't have to add salt to injury. Our stupid men are soiling the good name of this nation with their greed and you applauding his misdemeanor doesn't make you any better. They play you here (home) and still go to play others women abroad (away).. She seeks for advice if you can't help with any don't add to it.

Why not blame these stupid foreign women for falling for lies? grin . Dumb asses.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by davidadenrele: 5:40pm On Jun 29, 2018
simone2017:

Hello davidadenrele

I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to reply to my post. Thank you so much, i have read your reply and will try to do as you advised. Just wanted to let you know that the registry was legit. I came to Nigeria and we did the marriage at Federal Registry Ikoyi. Also, we do not have kids together. It amazes me the kind of people we have in this world, reading wedding vows while holding the bible in his hands meant nothing to this man.
When i was going through hard and rough days because of how this man treated me, I was even reluctant to talk to any person from Nigeria thinking all of them would turn out to be traitors. But how wrong i was. from the replies i got on this post, am convinced there are still nice people in Nigeria and also around the world.

Thank you
Simone

You welcome!!! Thanks for the compliment i will advised you embark on a fast process of getting a very good lawyer and move to the next of dissolving the union that's has cost so much pain......once again take heart be strong and be prayerful God will wipe away your tears and give you a new reason to smile.

All the best!!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by slizzyb(m): 8:43pm On Jun 29, 2018
This TIMEWILLTELL sounds frustrated or heart broken, your man leave u to aforeign man?, i read your post and replies on another thread coming here and seeing ur replies. sister pls take a chill pill. what i not yours can never be yours.
#PEACE

3 Likes

Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by slizzyb(m): 8:44pm On Jun 29, 2018
simone2017:

Hello slizzyb,

Thank you so much.

Your welcome,,,
Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jun 29, 2018
Anyone who read this gibberish & believed it needs a mental evaluation. The Op is a Nigerian blogging impostor looking for attention and who to scam.
Re: Is It Possible For A Nigerian Man To Walk Out Of Marriage Without Divorce? by simone2017: 10:00am On Jun 30, 2018
Zoharariel:
Anyone who read this gibberish & believed it needs a mental evaluation. The Op is a Nigerian blogging impostor looking for attention and who to scam.

I wish what you wrote was true and i was indeed a Nigerian scammer, and that i wasnt going through the mess thats mentioned in my post.
i hope when its ur turn to go through a horrible phase in life and ur seeking help and advice, poeple will easily jus call u a scammer and shrug u off. since ur Nigerian, it will be easier to believe that ur truly a scammer

(1) (Reply)

I Need Your Opinion. True Life Story. / Bet9ja Virtual Gambling Has Killed Me. I Lost My Salary Today / Your Little Baby Slaps You! What Will You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.