Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,287 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price (23569 Views)

Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father / No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? / Woman Delivers Quintuplets After 20 Years Of Marriage Without A Child [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Icrave4u: 7:49pm On Nov 19, 2023
If you marry a lady via court wedding and you didnt pay her bride price are you legally married to her.

1 Like

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by immortalcrown(m): 8:01pm On Nov 19, 2023
Icrave4u:
If you marry a lady via court wedding and you didnt pay her bride price are you legally married to her.
I am not sure but I believe the court respects tradition and may insist on payment of bride price before conducting the court marriage. On the other hand, legality is different from tradition. What is traditional may be illegal and what is legal may be untraditional.

100 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by slan87(m): 8:04pm On Nov 19, 2023
Following

1 Like

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Kobojunkie: 8:26pm On Nov 19, 2023
Icrave4u:
Of course! Legality comes from marrying in the courts. Your brideprices are nothing of the legal route but of the traditional route which ae only accepted but not necessarily recognized as being legal. For a marriage to be certified legal, it has to be registered with the courts. undecided

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Kobojunkie: 8:27pm On Nov 19, 2023
immortalcrown:
I am not sure but I believe the court respects tradition[b] and may insist on payment of bride price before conducting the court marriage[/b]. On the other hand, legality is different from tradition. What is traditional may be illegal and what is legal may be untraditional.
Stop making stuff up! undecided

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by tonicyril: 8:35pm On Nov 19, 2023
Icrave4u:
U re married to her in the face of man, but not in the face of creator...

Check all the religious book. What u will find there is that u should pay a woman dowry, no emphasis on whatever registry u choose to attend

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by immortalcrown(m): 9:15pm On Nov 19, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Stop making stuff up! undecided
What stuff did I make up?

5 Likes

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by SUPERPACK: 10:08pm On Nov 19, 2023
Yes, you are legally married. Court marriage don't require bride price nor consent from family members.

But for the sake of peace and avoidance of future wahala pls pay the bride price before going ahead with the court marriage or even after.

I don't know where you are from but here in igboland they don't joke with bride price, it is important and will be talked about for ages. Your children could be regarded as outcast to the extended family too.

But if you get a very understanding family that agree to court marriage only then no issue as they have the right to wave it or make it very affordable even down to just #50 so you will have no issues.

My community here in Enugu will most times say bring #100,000 and when it is presented they will take only one note from the whole money and return the rest to the groom's family. They will tell you that there daughter is not for sale and if maltreated they will take her back.

If the family insist on bride price please do not force your way through with the court marriage as it could be risky, the tussle is not worth it.

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Abrahamweb(m): 10:22pm On Nov 19, 2023
Icrave4u:
Bride price is a most.
Court wedding is a foreign concept and not compulsory.
If you want respect from your in-laws,pay bride price first and court wedding after.
You want to carry their daughter with asking for their blessings ni?

16 Likes

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by judatech: 10:42pm On Nov 19, 2023
tonicyril:

U re married to her in the face of man, but not in the face of creator...

Check all the religious book. What u will find there is that u should pay a woman dowry, no emphasis on whatever registry u choose to attend
Which of the religious books?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by tonicyril: 11:27pm On Nov 19, 2023
judatech:

Which of the religious books?
at least I know of the Bible and quran...and I am sure others would never let u marry a girl without paying her price

9 Likes

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Tayorshd87: 11:34pm On Nov 19, 2023
Anything you think for your mind
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by judatech: 3:27am On Nov 20, 2023
tonicyril:
at least I know of the Bible and quran...and I am sure others would never let u marry a girl without paying her price
Where in the Bible is bride price mentioned?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Mindlog: 4:36am On Nov 20, 2023
For me, it is just not the nothing "paying" the bride price but the thought that it is okay for a man not to go with his relatives to go visit his intended's family, establish a relationship, get to have at least a basic knowledge of what each family is all about and both families reflect over whether getting maritally involved with someone from the other family is a good decision.

'Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and to God what belongs to God.'

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by GenderMix: 6:31am On Nov 20, 2023
immortalcrown:
I am not sure but I believe the court respects tradition and may insist on payment of bride price before conducting the court marriage. On the other hand, legality is different from tradition. What is traditional may be illegal and what is legal may be untraditional.

This is not correct. You can do court wedding without paying bride price. Infact when i did mine, only 2 of my friends were present to sign as witness. Our parents were absent because we felt it was unnecessary but for them to travel down.

However, bride price /traditional wedding is what our culture recognize. It has to do with recognition of the couples by the families. It's the most important as far as nigerian families are concerned. You may be deprived of certain traditional benefits if you're not traditionally married. Although those benefits will not prevent you from living your normal lives.

If you are a fan of African traditional culture, then you need to do it to promote the culture

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Otulented: 3:20pm On Nov 20, 2023
Yourw still single

1 Like

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Otulented: 3:20pm On Nov 20, 2023
You're still single and fornicating

1 Like

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by KingOfAllIgbos: 3:21pm On Nov 20, 2023
grin

What I can't understand is a 37 page bride price lists that IPOB guys pay for yam legs that many Yoruba Demons have mounted.

Please don't come and cry here. Grown men grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Manny21: 3:21pm On Nov 20, 2023
Legally, the marriage is legal and valid. The children born during the subsistence of such marriage are legitimate children. But in Africa, you have the stigma of having a "stolen bride."

6 Likes

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by JuanDeDios: 3:21pm On Nov 20, 2023
Icrave4u:
Yes. But that's in the eyes of the law only. You're her husband not but not in the eyes of her family "elders". That means they won't recognise you as their SIL and you can't participate in extended family events as a family member. Everything else, you're good.

I know ladies who didn't bother with trad for their second marriage (after a divorce). They felt they didn't want to go through that again since village people had eaten on top their head already.

3 Likes

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by BigBlackPreek(m): 3:22pm On Nov 20, 2023
Bride price, no bride price, marriage wey go sweet and last go do so and vice versa.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by UncleKoboko: 3:22pm On Nov 20, 2023
IN MY OPINION:

Paying bride is very symbolic and important. It is not the amount paid that is important, in many cultures (aside from those people in the down map that usually sell their daughters....) some still collect as low as 10k, but you might still be given a long list....

BRIDE PRICE IS TRADITIONAL AND SHOULD BE BASED ON WHO YOU ARE MARRYING.
ONLY VIRGINS DESERVE BRIDE PRIDE, OR AT LEAST, BRIDE PRIDE SHOULD BE BASED ON BODYCOUNT.
NON-VIRGIN WH0REZ DON'T DESERVE FULL BRIDE PRICE.
THEIR BRIDE PRICE SHOULD BE DIVIDED BY THE NUMBER OF THEIR BODYCOUNT.

EVEN AS A MILLIONAIRE, GOD FORBID THAT I WILL PAY FULL BRIDE PRICE ON A GIRL THAT IS NOT A VIRGIN.
EVEN IF HER PAPA SAY HER BRIDE PRICE IS 10K, I WILL STILL DIVIDE IT BY THE NUMBER OF HER BODYCOUNT.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by UncleKoboko: 3:22pm On Nov 20, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Pootle: 3:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
not possible
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by ukra: 3:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
What of if there's no one to pay the bride price to?

1 Like

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by FitCorper: 3:24pm On Nov 20, 2023
You people must understand this is Africa and not America nor Europe. There are ways to do things here, we are bounded by traditions here. Until the family of the bride accepts your bride price and give out their daughter wholeheartedly to you. You both are just cohabiting. There is a reason traditional institutions are revered and even has been in existence before the almagamation of Nigeria. Please let’s try to respect our culture as Africans have been known to do for ages. I end by saying give unto tradition what is tradition and God to what is God’s.

4 Likes

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by SmartyPants(m): 3:24pm On Nov 20, 2023
immortalcrown:
What stuff did I make up?

I believe the court respects tradition and may insist on payment of bride price before conducting the court marriage

What is the basis of this belief? You already said you're not sure - must you go further to add beliefs that you cannot substantiate, thereby misleading the gullible? There is nothing like bride price when it comes to formal legal marriages in Nigeria. Learn to recognize what you don't know and avoid giving opinions on it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by theophorus(m): 3:24pm On Nov 20, 2023
No be marriage na Scam.
Cos the Parent gat dey among those wen go sign for court and na Traditional dem go seal the deal.
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by AbuTwins: 3:24pm On Nov 20, 2023
Court marriage na shackles 🔗

Shari'a court is also legal!
Shari'a marriage is legal!
Shari'a marriage certificate is also legal!

And I can marry up to four ladies!

grin

Dowry (the bride is priceless) is compulsory in Islamic Shari'a and the payment can be deferred!

1 Like

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by oluseyiforjesus(m): 3:24pm On Nov 20, 2023
I don't think so
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by KingOfAllIgbos: 3:25pm On Nov 20, 2023
lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

What Bad Habits Do You Love?? / My 2-Year-Old Daughter Is Using Foul Words / Relative´s Spouse Beaten By Brother-in-law (story continud)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.