Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,926 members, 7,848,762 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:51 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (245752 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 3:22pm On Jul 19, 2011
<Quote>vicenzo:
Infact the issue here is not whether ika is igbo or not,we have since passed that stage in this thread,ezeagu's post  solved that,the issue here is how ndiigbo should  help anioma to reclaim,igbo communities in edo such as igbanke,ekpon and iru,while retaining oza people in agbor,that is the issue.</quote>

Vicenzo,

Would you like to lose Anioma before it has become a state? You are looking for real trouble now. Watch it!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by vicenzo(m): 4:16pm On Jul 19, 2011
yeah,the kind they got from edo,when they were massacred in benin,yeah.
bokohalal:

They can count on Edo moral support for sure. We know the difference between Ika(Eka) and Igbo.No true Ika would like to be labelled `Igbo`, which is a corruption of an uncomplimentary descriptive Edo word.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 5:17pm On Jul 19, 2011
Ekas were not harmed in Benin. Those that claimed Igbo identity I cannot speak for because they were rightly conceived as invaders or saboteurs.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 5:52pm On Jul 19, 2011
bokohalal:

They can count on Edo moral support for sure. We know the difference between Ika(Eka) and Igbo.No true Ika would like to be labelled `Igbo`, which is a corruption of an uncomplimentary descriptive Edo word.
Shut up, eediot.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 5:58pm On Jul 19, 2011
"`Igbo`, which is a corruption of an uncomplimentary descriptive Edo word." - bokohalal

------ I highly doubt it, but just to entertain the thought, mind telling us the Edo word you're referring to?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 6:08pm On Jul 19, 2011
@Agbontaen. There are so many similarities between Igbo and Bini. Omonuan-a Delta Igbo has listed up to two pages of that on another trade. Dreadlocks which you listed as dada is not Igbo nor Bini but borrowed from the Yorubas. Due to the nearness of some Ika villages to Bini, they have acquired some bini words into their dialect. It is common.  In the same manner, some Idoma people close to Nsukka have acquired Igbo words to enrich their language. My post earlier goes a long way to highlight the fact that a lot of Igbo villages have different names from the supposedly Igbo words. For example, in my own Isinweke community, maize is called Ukworu, but we are not insane to disclaim Igbo as maize in Igbo is called oka.
On Ohanaeze, you got it totally wrong. Every Eze does not belong to Ohanaeze. But each Igbo state and territory has Ezes/Igwes/Obis who represent them at the upper chamber of Ndieze in Ohanaeze. From Anioma, your representatives are: Obi of Ogwashi-Ukwu, Prof Okonjo-the father of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Prof Chike Edozien-The Ahaba of Asaba. Mind you, the Obi of Akumazi is an Ika man and has always been present in all Ohanaeze functions.
Mind you Agbontaen that your fellow Ika-Ogbuefi1 has warned you to desist from turning Aniomaland to Rivers state where every community is an ethnic nationality. Listen to him.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 7:19pm On Jul 19, 2011
Andre,
Given your narratie above, I'm beginning to think Igbo is actually an offshoot of the Yoruba race. It explains why finding and placing your root has been so difficult; ts because we are looking for a far away ancient civilization when in fact we should be looking at Old Oyo to track and define your migrant path.

I shall do the tracking. . . . .and trust me, I will find a home for you within the Yoruba ancestry.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 8:38pm On Jul 19, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Andre,
Given your narratie above, I'm beginning to think Igbo is actually an offshoot of the Yoruba race. It explains why finding and placing your root has been so difficult; ts because we are looking for a far away ancient civilization when in fact we should be looking at Old Oyo to track and define your migrant path.

I shall do the tracking. . . . .and trust me, I will find a home for you within the Yoruba ancestry.
It may be the other way round as Nri is older than the Oyo you are chatting here.
Having said that, I strongly advice you to quit this thread as you have not got nothing reasonable to contribute but to create division. Run.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 8:40pm On Jul 19, 2011
bokohalal:

Ekas

Imagine arguing with someone who twists the name of the people who his trying to rewrite their history for.

[center]Got my laugh of today.[/center]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 8:41pm On Jul 19, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Andre,

You're absolutely right. No need for tracking, the Igbo are descendant of the Saudi Oduduwa.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 9:16pm On Jul 19, 2011
Andre, where did Nri come from and what age period?

Eze, sit back and learn. Get your snuff box handy, you gonna need it!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by vicenzo(m): 11:15pm On Jul 19, 2011
agbotaen:

owa founders from benin ,plus migrants from nri in igboland through ute okpu migration.we are ika people , and for those people saying that owa king is a custodian of nri culture , that is very funny as our king is a custodian of ika culture , but we know there are nri and edo influence in it , but to tell you the truth owa culture has more edo input .but like i said , i challenge any person who knows owa culture here to tell me specifically what the nri culture in owa is and what the bini culture is ?
let me take you through a course in owa culture , which i am very proud of -
1. kingship in owa , our ancient word and concept of kingship was ogiso , that is why till today old men and women in owa call our obi ,by the word ogiso.
2. obiship in owa is taken from the benin concept of kingship(obaship), the obi of owa is regarded as second to oselobue ,he is an absolute monarch whose words in ancient times was final, he had power of life and death.
3. our chiefthancy or ohaime (ship) is in three levels , the village, town and palace chiefs going under titles like ihama, ihaza, esama, ojekpolor, obakpolor, uwangue, ologboshere, iyase, elewu, obayangbon, obazenu, urokonogbe, isekhure, osague, inenigun,and other titles which i will later publish, this are bini titles ,/
4. we also have igbo titles like ogifurueze, odabameze,obiwenali and others that of igbo lines, but the igbo titles in owa are very little and less important , as the ones derived from benin are more ancient and powerful in owa.
5. the dressing of our kings and chief follow benin lines , using the ada and the ebenren,and beads .
6. the igbo ceremonies found and practiced in owa are ikenga, and ifejuku and ofo
7. while our obi , performs uje dance, igue festival, ikaba, olokun ,ohunweeden , which comes from benin.
8. osiezi festival , which is purely an ika festival founded by my ancestors.
9. the worship of ehi is a bini , practice still done in owa today.
10. owa is divided into ebon( umun), idumu and ogbe- which is family, village and town
11. in olden days our fathers / mothers had a facial and body mark called igu, performed by an owina , with ebeke osigu.
12. when prasing the obi of owa ,this are some of his appellations
1. agbogidi iyare,
2. ogiso iyare,
3. ojenebo iyare,
4. agwo ekirika iyare,
5. obi ni tor ne fe , ise

13. our greetings are
1. laire is still a greeting eholor nire in benin and ogiamen
2. laiweze- is from those of iyase clan in benin
3. greeting while eating is kada
4. after meal greeting is lakpoma
5. for respectable older women is obori

14. our four week days is from igbo or nri
1. eken
2. orie
3. nkwo
4. afor , please do not mind the other which i wrote them.

15. all our obis have had benin names ,
1. odogun
2. igbedigi
3. ewuare
4. orhogbua
5. okundaiye,
6. igbeoba
7. iseh
8.obaigbena
9. ewodo
10. eworh
11. the present king is efeizomor ,
please forgive the list , there are still more obis and this is not the order they ruled .
as for the second obi of owa , obi igbedigi ( this are some of his children- omigie, osunhon, ovwiagbon, ugbebor, ojezua, omo, buzugbe , omoroje , okpeaye , , my family are of the omigie lineage , this are surely bini names .

15. no owa person has denied that there was igbo migration in owa , but we also have firm evidence of benin migration and lineage .
16. it is interesting also that when odogun came from ute okpu , he was already schooled in how benin people rule from ute-okpu and the people he met in owa so he adopted a proto-type of benin style of kingship.
17. i can also write an indepth account of how our kings are coronated and buried , they are coronated in an area we call uselu - meaning sacred area in owa -oyibu .
i will rest now to write later . we have done proper research into owa history and not by reading books alone , i am a descendant of kings and princes in owa ,so i am conversant with my towns history as told to me by my father, uncles, chiefs and after careful reading and research .

The fact that the obi of owa said that he is of nri ancestry makes all your post crap,the obi is the highest authority in owa,now go and sleep,onye iberibe.
agbotaen:

owa founders from benin ,plus migrants from nri in igboland through ute okpu migration.we are ika people , and for those people saying that owa king is a custodian of nri culture , that is very funny as our king is a custodian of ika culture , but we know there are nri and edo influence in it , but to tell you the truth owa culture has more edo input .but like i said , i challenge any person who knows owa culture here to tell me specifically what the nri culture in owa is and what the bini culture is ?
let me take you through a course in owa culture , which i am very proud of -
1. kingship in owa , our ancient word and concept of kingship was ogiso , that is why till today old men and women in owa call our obi ,by the word ogiso.
2. obiship in owa is taken from the benin concept of kingship(obaship), the obi of owa is regarded as second to oselobue ,he is an absolute monarch whose words in ancient times was final, he had power of life and death.
3. our chiefthancy or ohaime (ship) is in three levels , the village, town and palace chiefs going under titles like ihama, ihaza, esama, ojekpolor, obakpolor, uwangue, ologboshere, iyase, elewu, obayangbon, obazenu, urokonogbe, isekhure, osague, inenigun,and other titles which i will later publish, this are bini titles ,/
4. we also have igbo titles like ogifurueze, odabameze,obiwenali and others that of igbo lines, but the igbo titles in owa are very little and less important , as the ones derived from benin are more ancient and powerful in owa.
5. the dressing of our kings and chief follow benin lines , using the ada and the ebenren,and beads .
6. the igbo ceremonies found and practiced in owa are ikenga, and ifejuku and ofo
7. while our obi , performs uje dance, igue festival, ikaba, olokun ,ohunweeden , which comes from benin.
8. osiezi festival , which is purely an ika festival founded by my ancestors.
9. the worship of ehi is a bini , practice still done in owa today.
10. owa is divided into ebon( umun), idumu and ogbe- which is family, village and town
11. in olden days our fathers / mothers had a facial and body mark called igu, performed by an owina , with ebeke osigu.
12. when prasing the obi of owa ,this are some of his appellations
1. agbogidi iyare,
2. ogiso iyare,
3. ojenebo iyare,
4. agwo ekirika iyare,
5. obi ni tor ne fe , ise

13. our greetings are
1. laire is still a greeting eholor nire in benin and ogiamen
2. laiweze- is from those of iyase clan in benin
3. greeting while eating is kada
4. after meal greeting is lakpoma
5. for respectable older women is obori

14. our four week days is from igbo or nri
1. eken
2. orie
3. nkwo
4. afor , please do not mind the other which i wrote them.

15. all our obis have had benin names ,
1. odogun
2. igbedigi
3. ewuare
4. orhogbua
5. okundaiye,
6. igbeoba
7. iseh
8.obaigbena
9. ewodo
10. eworh
11. the present king is efeizomor ,
please forgive the list , there are still more obis and this is not the order they ruled .
as for the second obi of owa , obi igbedigi ( this are some of his children- omigie, osunhon, ovwiagbon, ugbebor, ojezua, omo, buzugbe , omoroje , okpeaye , , my family are of the omigie lineage , this are surely bini names .

15. no owa person has denied that there was igbo migration in owa , but we also have firm evidence of benin migration and lineage .
16. it is interesting also that when odogun came from ute okpu , he was already schooled in how benin people rule from ute-okpu and the people he met in owa so he adopted a proto-type of benin style of kingship.
17. i can also write an indepth account of how our kings are coronated and buried , they are coronated in an area we call uselu - meaning sacred area in owa -oyibu .
i will rest now to write later . we have done proper research into owa history and not by reading books alone , i am a descendant of kings and princes in owa ,so i am conversant with my towns history as told to me by my father, uncles, chiefs and after careful reading and research .

The fact that the obi of owa said that he is of nri ancestry makes all your post crap,the obi is the highest authority in owa,now go and sleep,onye iberibe.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 11:29pm On Jul 19, 2011
<Quote>The fact that the obi of owa said that he is of nri ancestry makes all your post crap,the obi is the highest authority in owa,now go and sleep,onye iberibe</quote>

Makes no difference to me if he is Owa, Edo or Nri, the Obi and all the igboland is an offshoot of Yoruba nation. That's what's important here.

Hey Agbotaen, I got it from here don't bother replying their stubborness to force on you Igbo, you all are under the Oduduwa flag.
Thank you so far for your contributions, I will take over from here.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 12:10am On Jul 20, 2011
^^^Abeg o i no get tiger claw face o, plus i no black like moreky yansh so how can i be an offshoot of odua?

Plus una wey dey claim say una fall from sky? SEE BIG LIE
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 1:25am On Jul 20, 2011
Nri is an offshoot of Oodua.

Now, whether you are black, white, mix is another issue completely. People of Ekiti are lighter in complexion than you and they are Yoruba. Children of Oodua come in different shades.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 2:46am On Jul 20, 2011
Ogbuefi,

As I have repeatedly told you, you are a propgandist extraordinaire. To those who are unaware, it will appear that you are an authority and you have done your honme work we'll and ready for historical battle - a formidable warlord whose hunger for bloodbath precedes his steps.

You are tactically demolishing the spirit of your opponent to fight back or rebutt your random parambulate by flooding him with an overwhelming mountain of information that means nothing other than everyone in Igboland is a migrant and connected with Nri.

Well, where did they migrate from, where is their source spring? Where is the source spring of Nri himself? Nri is the connecting dot that ties all together for the Igbo iDentity, right? So for those people who speak Igbo today but whose roots are outside of Nri ancestry will be vategorized Igbo and their roots will be erased because they made their forefathers should have known better and not allow the Igbo language on their land, right?

If these peiople drop the Igbo language and pick back their ancestral tongue will that settle the dispute and they will no longer be called Igbo?

Anyway, do me a favor. You said Bini fought Akure and Owo and an Igbo man was the general that led that onslaught against Yorubaland. I need the name of the war, the dates and the outcome of it.

If you like respond with a 100page reply, I have endurance to go through and pick your response letter by letter, word by word. . . . .

Also, account for the spring well out of which Nri emanated. Likewise all the migrant Igbos.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:03am On Jul 20, 2011
"Nri is the connecting dot that ties all together for the Igbo iDentity, right?"

---- No. It is not. Linguistics is.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 3:13am On Jul 20, 2011
What is root of the Igbo language? Who were the original speakers, aborigines or migrants?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 3:42am On Jul 20, 2011
ezeagu:

Imagine arguing with someone who twists the name of the people who his trying to rewrite their history for.

[center]Got my laugh of today.[/center]
Imagine arguing with king of leopards. Fela had some words for your type.
I have never in any of my write-ups inferred anything about Ika(Eka)history.All I know about Ika is that they are that:Ika.I had even said emphatically that Ikas would be better of[b] aligning[/b]with the Igbos as the Edos do not have the economic and political clout of the Igbos even as their ancestry is majorly Edo.
Consider this song from an Edo folklore(I will do my best at translation)

Saghen saghen do.Esaghen(2 times)
Our mother had three children.Esaghen
Our mother then died.Esaghen
We were now looking for a home.Esaghen
While we were looking for a place.Esaghen
A woman came in our midst.Esaghen
She took this ones hand and took this ones hand.Esaghen
She took one to Edo.Esaghen
She took one to Udo.Esaghen
She took one to Eka(Ika).Esaghen
I will live in Edo my brother,esaghen and let Edo  be good for me,esaghen
I will live in Udo my brother,esaghen and let Udo be good for me,esaghen
I will live in Eka my brother,esaghen and let Eka be good for me ,esaghen
Saghen saghen do,esaghen.

I bet your do not have any folklore in Abiriba or Ngwa concerning the Ikas.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 3:46am On Jul 20, 2011
ChinenyeN:

"`Igbo`, which is a corruption of an uncomplimentary descriptive Edo word." - bokohalal

------ I highly doubt it, but just to entertain the thought, mind telling us the Edo word you're referring to?
Ask a true Eka person(not Ika-igbo) for the meaning .
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 4:12am On Jul 20, 2011
negro ijebu man, did obinna take ur fathers shop at ile ife?
just curious
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 4:40am On Jul 20, 2011
If that had happened you would have heard from me much much earlier than this and far louder thirsting for blood.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 4:41am On Jul 20, 2011
bokohalal:

Ask a true Eka person(not Ika-igbo) for the meaning .
I'm asking for the Edo word that you were referring. You're telling me to ask a 'true Eka person' for the meaning, yet you still haven't told me the word which was corrupted.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 7:19am On Jul 20, 2011
hmmm negro we dont believe you, you need more people, bunch of cowards u are, obinna took ur popsie shop and there is nothing you can do about it cos you are not built for altercation, poosie odua
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 12:31pm On Jul 20, 2011
In reference to bravery, going into a lost cause steeped in stupidity and irrational thinking is as descriptive as the drunk who, stagerring out of a bar sat behind the steering of his car and when reminded there are police patrols down the street said "I aint scared of the police, I am brave man". Lol!

Arrogant, drunk, self-hating, prodigal, irresponsible.

When asked to tell about Igbo bravery you shamelessly throw a lost war that was clearly avoidable as proof.
Suicide in millions to prove bravery!

Get your head examined igbo boy. That's a very befitting name too "boy"! I need an igbo Man to come and address your definition of bravery.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 11:23pm On Jul 20, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

In reference to bravery, going into a lost cause steeped in stupidity and irrational thinking is as descriptive as the drunk who, stagerring out of a bar sat behind the steering of his car and when reminded there are police patrols down the street said "I aint scared of the police, I am brave man". Lol!

Arrogant, drunk, self-hating, prodigal, irresponsible.

When asked to tell about Igbo bravery you shamelessly throw a lost war that was clearly avoidable as proof.
Suicide in millions to prove bravery!

Get your head examined igbo boy. That's a very befitting name too "boy"! I need an igbo Man to come and address your definition of bravery.
u cant stand an igbo man hence u got to deal with me the boy impersona,

Negro, u keep asking about bravery but all i can say an ijebu or Yoruba pesin is in no position to be questioning another person's bravery, bunch of cowards, o so so onu unu nwe (only mouth una get),

negro
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ogbuefi11: 11:48pm On Jul 20, 2011
@Boko Halal,

1)I have sent what you implied by the word "Igbo", As a true Ika man I know the meaning. The word in reference is "Igborn" meaning slave. However both words are pronounced differently and I suspect that you are an Igbophobist to imagine such a word and  compare with the Igbo nation. Igborn and Igbo are completely diferent words and are pronounced differently.Have you ever asked an Ika man what the word "Oba" means in Ika and Igbo generally ? It means  a yam rack and in this case the words are pronounced and spelt identically. As an Edo man , you should concern yourself more with the present effort by the Edo historical school that strives to change history by claiming that  Edo a slave who saved Prince Ogun ( who became Oba Ewuare) is now a "servant" or that Ubini ( from which Benin is derived from) is derived from a Yoruba word "Ile Ibinu". You at not fit at all to brand Igbo as slaves because in Edo there is a word that sounds like "Igborn"
According to Prof Afigbo and a galaxy of writers of Igbo origin, Igbo is derived from an ancient word which simply means a forest dwelling people. Incidentally in Yoruba , Igbo( pronounced a bit different) is the word for forest.
From my experience I have come to know that some Benin people are even of slave  or settler origin especially those who go with the non-hereditary morning greetings like Iyase(Lavbieze) and Ezomor(Lagiesan).It was of recent Ezomo was made hereditary and these being war titles had in their ranks people of diversed origins many of them non Edo(and indeed of slave origin) and in the time of peace many of them became assimilated into such warrior families.

2)Ika like I said earlier refers to everyone of Enuani( Eluali) stock and not just the reduced Ika LGA. I also did say that the Anioma of Enuanilands had for generations shared a strong relationship with the Edo and even some writers have indicated that the moats ( according to Patrick Darling dates between the 9th and 11th century AD in its earliest period) could have been in reaction to pressure from the Enuani neighbours.You wont even find such songs for Urhobos or Afenmais who are of the same Edo speaking stock( like the Benins and Esans).If you share a long relationship with your neighbours , there is always that tendency for you to call such a person your "brother", There are evn songs which connects for instance the Igala kingdom to Benin including words derived from such relationship or between Benin and Ife which the Edos call "Uhe", The Igbo clans you mentioned ie Ngwa and Abriba are to the far east of Igboland and I tell you that we never shared anything with them and there are corresponding social issues these Igbo communities would have with their Ibibio neighbours or what the Nsukka people will have with their Igala neighbours.What you dont know is that communities especially those along the borders were indifferent about identity and what we have now is a legacy of the colonialists.
It was also this legacy that led to the killing of many Ika ( and Anioma) people in Benin City which ought to be the city of their "brother", Events however have changed all of that.

3) Majority of Ika being of Edo origin, This is a theory because no one is sure of course about the composition of the population.While it is true that there is a strong Edo presence in the ancestry of Ikas, there is also a strong Eastern Igbo presence and what anybody will tell you is simply influenced by politics. Some who favour Eastern Igbo identity and origin , those Benin origin will be dismissed  , others who feel that they are not "Core Igbos" will favour an Edo origin. Let me give a simple example, In the early records , Abavo was said to have founded by Eastern Igbo migrants who were later joined by Edo and Anioma groups. But this is no longer the case as the story has been reversed to say that Abavo people came from Benin and was joined by Igbo people. In Agbor where there is a period of myth surrounding the origin of the aborigines, it is a divided issue amongst the Agbor people themselves.I will therefore advice that no one should rush into any conclusion.
As far as I am concerned , these claims most of which is baseless and imagined is just a show off by the Edos whose intent is to resurrect the old imperial period. At one time these people made a claim that Igbanke was derived from Igbon Ake or Ake slaves .In other words it was Ake a Benin chieftain that placed the slaves on "Benin territory", A claim which is laughable and unfounded.Though only two out of the 6 subclans of Igbanke claim Anioma origin, they make up over  half  the population. In Owa and the Ute clans , the Edo element is small. I earlier gave the situation in Owa clan. In Agbor there are aboriginal( which is a matter of debate), Edo and Igbo lineages, In Igbodo there are Edo and Igbo lineages.In Mbiri, Idumesah, Otolokpo and even Umunede it is also same situation. In Akumazi , it is completely of Igbo( Anioma ) origin.It is therefore wrong to jump into any conclusion.
4)When you "ad
@Negro_Ntns
1) One of the problem you have is ignorance and you have remained to be ignorant and really it's your choice.If you call my write ups "Propanganda"   its just your choice as well. I am not bothered about that. What is even more disturbing is your show of ignorance here, Ask any Edo, Akure or Owo person who is vast in history if there have never been any wars between these three states.It was customary in those days for states to recruit in their ranks people that may not be of native origin.Benins were experts in this. For instance in Ugbodu(an Anioma) is a qtr called "Ologhosa". According to traditional history , Oba Ehengbuda of Benin had invaded Anioma communities looting and carting people as slaves but the Olukwumi towns of Ugbodu and Ukwunzu struck a deal with the Oba to act as military outposts or spies for the Benin Kingdom.One of Oba Ehengbuda  trusted warrior was one Ologun who is of Owo origin( now see the case in reverse) and he was ask to settle in Ugbodu where his descendants constitute the Ologhosa qtr while a shrine named after the Oba was intalled at Ukwunzu.Thus these two towns became sites which the Edos could use to invade other Anioma communities and demand for tributes.
2) Like I say before Agbontaen is no match to me as it relates to the Ika and Anioma people as well as their history and civilization because he has from the beginning  chosen to be biased about certain issues which I usually present to him. Of course the word "Igbo" was adopted  from somewhere just as the word "Yoruba " was used in reference to the Old Oyo Empire(now used for all Yoruba speaking peoples).It was not even of Yoruba but of Nupe origin. Agbontaen's  thought is politically influenced , now while politics is a factor in anthropology , it must be handled in such a manner that you dont get biased with it. I asked him a simple question, What do the Ika people call themselves , Is it not Eluali ? I am yet to receive any reply because he knows his case has no solid foundation.
3)I will repeat that word that you are ignorant, why ? Because the little story I gave on the estalishment and origin of some Igbo towns is just in reference to the Anioma area, which to start with is not even within the Old Eastern Region. When you talk about migrants, Nri or Igbo , I dont think it should be based on the foundation of Anioma towns itself which have been proven to have been established by Igbo, Edo, Yoruba, Igala and even migrants of Ijaw and Isoko origin. But there are substantial evidence that Igboland had been continously been inhabited for over 8,000 years.I will urge you to read more about Igbos on wikipedia.The Nri ascendancy came up in the 9th century AD and quickly established itself throughout the Igbo area and it was also from Nri that the earliest groups of people settled in Aniomaland ie Ani Ekei( in Ubulu Uku) in about 900 AD.Nri has nothing to do with Ife or Benin , besides the art works of Igbo Ukwu which was under Nri hegemony predates those of Benin or Ife. It therefore cannot be an offshoot of those places.
Igbos donot hide the fact that they are of diversed origins but this is the case everywhere.This have been proven genetically.The Igbo language ie West Benue Congo a sub family which Edo, Yoruba, Igala, Idoma , Gbagyi , Ebirra and Nupe are also members .In other words the people speaking these closely related languages could ultimately share one identity and this is why I dont take these ethnographic divisions amongst our people in the South of Nigeria very seriously.Talbot in one of his books thinks Igbo have some elememnts of Bantu which I also think is the case and this connects Igbos to the people of the old Cross River State.We are really one.

I will for the time being suspend my posts here , Why ? Because the message has already been sent .The issue  is whether people accept or reject it, Of course we all have choices to make, Ultimately , it will not change anything or our  path to our collective destiny. What I will not tolerate  is for anyone to insult another because he thinks he has that master stroke with  that. If not for the unguarded statements of Physics on an individual Omonuan( who is aggrieved especially if you consider that he has Edo ancestry though assimilated as Igbo)  , I will not be bothered with the rubbish Agbontaen is posting here because his position cannot be superior over that of his king the Obi of Owa.
Who knows , it could be that Omonuan lost some of his relatives in Benin.I almost lost mine if not for God's grace.
Let me note here that I dont hate any group of persons.My reaction initially was when Physics attempted to call Igbos "cannibals" which to me is the most uncivil . Of course you cant expect me not to repackage his insults on Benins and their monarchy.A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 12:09am On Jul 21, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

@Boko Halal,

1)I have sent what you implied by the word "Igbo", As a true Ika man I know the meaning. The word in reference is "Igborn" meaning slave. However both words are pronounced differently and I suspect that you are an Igbophobist to imagine such a word and compare with the Igbo nation. Igborn and Igbo are completely diferent words and are pronounced differently.Have you ever asked an Ika man what the word "Oba" means in Ika and Igbo generally ? It means a yam rack and in this case the words are pronounced and spelt identically. As an Edo man , you should concern yourself more with the present effort by the Edo historical school that strives to change history by claiming that Edo a slave who saved Prince Ogun ( who became Oba Ewuare) is now a "servant" or that Ubini ( from which Benin is derived from) is derived from a Yoruba word "Ile Ibinu". You at not fit at all to brand Igbo as slaves because in Edo there is a word that sounds like "Igborn"
According to Prof Afigbo and a galaxy of writers of Igbo origin, Igbo is derived from an ancient word which simply means a forest dwelling people. Incidentally in Yoruba , Igbo( pronounced a bit different) is the word for forest.
From my experience I have come to know that some Benin people are even of slave or settler origin especially those who go with the non-hereditary morning greetings like Iyase(Lavbieze) and Ezomor(Lagiesan).It was of recent Ezomo was made hereditary and these being war titles had in their ranks people of diversed origins many of them non Edo(and indeed of slave origin) and in the time of peace many of them became assimilated into such warrior families.

2)Ika like I said earlier refers to everyone of Enuani( Eluali) stock and not just the reduced Ika LGA. I also did say that the Anioma of Enuanilands had for generations shared a strong relationship with the Edo and even some writers have indicated that the moats ( according to Patrick Darling dates between the 9th and 11th century AD in its earliest period) could have been in reaction to pressure from the Enuani neighbours.You wont even find such songs for Urhobos or Afenmais who are of the same Edo speaking stock( like the Benins and Esans).If you share a long relationship with your neighbours , there is always that tendency for you to call such a person your "brother", There are evn songs which connects for instance the Igala kingdom to Benin including words derived from such relationship or between Benin and Ife which the Edos call "Uhe", The Igbo clans you mentioned ie Ngwa and Abriba are to the far east of Igboland and I tell you that we never shared anything with them and there are corresponding social issues these Igbo communities would have with their Ibibio neighbours or what the Nsukka people will have with their Igala neighbours.What you dont know is that communities especially those along the borders were indifferent about identity and what we have now is a legacy of the colonialists.
It was also this legacy that led to the killing of many Ika ( and Anioma) people in Benin City which ought to be the city of their "brother", Events however have changed all of that.

3) Majority of Ika being of Edo origin, This is a theory because no one is sure of course about the composition of the population.While it is true that there is a strong Edo presence in the ancestry of Ikas, there is also a strong Eastern Igbo presence and what anybody will tell you is simply influenced by politics. Some who favour Eastern Igbo identity and origin , those Benin origin will be dismissed , others who feel that they are not "Core Igbos" will favour an Edo origin. Let me give a simple example, In the early records , Abavo was said to have founded by Eastern Igbo migrants who were later joined by Edo and Anioma groups. But this is no longer the case as the story has been reversed to say that Abavo people came from Benin and was joined by Igbo people. In Agbor where there is a period of myth surrounding the origin of the aborigines, it is a divided issue amongst the Agbor people themselves.I will therefore advice that no one should rush into any conclusion.
As far as I am concerned , these claims most of which is baseless and imagined is just a show off by the Edos whose intent is to resurrect the old imperial period. At one time these people made a claim that Igbanke was derived from Igbon Ake or Ake slaves .In other words it was Ake a Benin chieftain that placed the slaves on "Benin territory", A claim which is laughable and unfounded.Though only two out of the 6 subclans of Igbanke claim Anioma origin, they make up over half the population. In Owa and the Ute clans , the Edo element is small. I earlier gave the situation in Owa clan. In Agbor there are aboriginal( which is a matter of debate), Edo and Igbo lineages, In Igbodo there are Edo and Igbo lineages.In Mbiri, Idumesah, Otolokpo and even Umunede it is also same situation. In Akumazi , it is completely of Igbo( Anioma ) origin.It is therefore wrong to jump into any conclusion.
4)When you "ad
@Negro_Ntns
1) One of the problem you have is ignorance and you have remained to be ignorant and really it's your choice.If you call my write ups "Propanganda" its just your choice as well. I am not bothered about that. What is even more disturbing is your show of ignorance here, Ask any Edo, Akure or Owo person who is vast in history if there have never been any wars between these three states.It was customary in those days for states to recruit in their ranks people that may not be of native origin.Benins were experts in this. For instance in Ugbodu(an Anioma) is a qtr called "Ologhosa". According to traditional history , Oba Ehengbuda of Benin had invaded Anioma communities looting and carting people as slaves but the Olukwumi towns of Ugbodu and Ukwunzu struck a deal with the Oba to act as military outposts or spies for the Benin Kingdom.One of Oba Ehengbuda trusted warrior was one Ologun who is of Owo origin( now see the case in reverse) and he was ask to settle in Ugbodu where his descendants constitute the Ologhosa qtr while a shrine named after the Oba was intalled at Ukwunzu.Thus these two towns became sites which the Edos could use to invade other Anioma communities and demand for tributes.
2) Like I say before Agbontaen is no match to me as it relates to the Ika and Anioma people as well as their history and civilization because he has from the beginning chosen to be biased about certain issues which I usually present to him. Of course the word "Igbo" was adopted from somewhere just as the word "Yoruba " was used in reference to the Old Oyo Empire(now used for all Yoruba speaking peoples).It was not even of Yoruba but of Nupe origin. Agbontaen's thought is politically influenced , now while politics is a factor in anthropology , it must be handled in such a manner that you dont get biased with it. I asked him a simple question, What do the Ika people call themselves , Is it not Eluali ? I am yet to receive any reply because he knows his case has no solid foundation.
3)I will repeat that word that you are ignorant, why ? Because the little story I gave on the estalishment and origin of some Igbo towns is just in reference to the Anioma area, which to start with is not even within the Old Eastern Region. When you talk about migrants, Nri or Igbo , I dont think it should be based on the foundation of Anioma towns itself which have been proven to have been established by Igbo, Edo, Yoruba, Igala and even migrants of Ijaw and Isoko origin. But there are substantial evidence that Igboland had been continously been inhabited for over 8,000 years.I will urge you to read more about Igbos on wikipedia.The Nri ascendancy came up in the 9th century AD and quickly established itself throughout the Igbo area and it was also from Nri that the earliest groups of people settled in Aniomaland ie Ani Ekei( in Ubulu Uku) in about 900 AD.Nri has nothing to do with Ife or Benin , besides the art works of Igbo Ukwu which was under Nri hegemony predates those of Benin or Ife. It therefore cannot be an offshoot of those places.
Igbos donot hide the fact that they are of diversed origins but this is the case everywhere.This have been proven genetically.The Igbo language ie West Benue Congo a sub family which Edo, Yoruba, Igala, Idoma , Gbagyi , Ebirra and Nupe are also members .In other words the people speaking these closely related languages could ultimately share one identity and this is why I dont take these ethnographic divisions amongst our people in the South of Nigeria very seriously.Talbot in one of his books thinks Igbo have some elememnts of Bantu which I also think is the case and this connects Igbos to the people of the old Cross River State.We are really one.

I will for the time being suspend my posts here , Why ? Because the message has already been sent .The issue is whether people accept or reject it, Of course we all have choices to make, Ultimately , it will not change anything or our path to our collective destiny. What I will not tolerate is for anyone to insult another because he thinks he has that master stroke with that. If not for the unguarded statements of Physics on an individual Omonuan( who is aggrieved especially if you consider that he has Edo ancestry though assimilated as Igbo) , I will not be bothered with the rubbish Agbontaen is posting here because his position cannot be superior over that of his king the Obi of Owa.
Who knows , it could be that Omonuan lost some of his relatives in Benin.I almost lost mine if not for God's grace.
Let me note here that I dont hate any group of persons.My reaction initially was when Physics attempted to call Igbos "cannibals" which to me is the most uncivil . Of course you cant expect me not to repackage his insults on Benins and their monarchy.A word is enough for the wise.
God bless you. May you and your lineage live very long, nwannemadu.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 7:04am On Jul 21, 2011
Ogbuefi,

I read every letter of your response and I do have an answer on some of your perceived truths. I must admit its unusually a short take overall.

It is after 1am here and I must sleep. I have a response that will provoke and influence your thoughts about some realities which I suspect you have consciously suppressed or are just never been encountered.

I should share with you that I am a subscribed account owner in wikipedia. What does this mean? Well you have repeatedly labeled me ignorant. Authors in wikipedia produce materials that influence minds and hearts. They are written with an objetive, whatever that may be to the calling of the author. But humankind generally interat with relative truths and so what we term objective is in reality a fluid illusion. Your reference of wikipedia as the source of your materials and everything you are sharing on history are an illusion. Your oratory and wordsmithing is supposed to inject some credibility into it. That value is in of itself another illusion.

A stack pile of illusory truths and credibility that make no impression on me.

I can rewrite Lagos history and completely drop Bini out of the picture and reside it in wikipedia, with references and footnotes with such a finished finesse that makes it Very hard not to believe. But does that erase the Bini bloodline from the throne? NO! Relative truths and a world of illusion! Magic!!

We will talk some more. I want you to endure more time and get a bitter taste of my intelligence. You have seen my ignorance, you should see the other side of me. You will enjoy it!

Good night :-)
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 7:23am On Jul 21, 2011
ogbuefi u dey follow Yoruba man argue? you go loose o, U neva know say na them be talker number one, negro ntns is ready to yan nonsense all day on this forum so be warned.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 1:08pm On Jul 21, 2011
igbo boy:

ogbuefi u dey follow Yoruba man argue? you go loose o, U neva know say na them be talker number one, negro ntns is ready to yan nonsense all day on this forum so be warned.

I don't even know why he's willing to argue his own history with someone that knows nothing about it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious! / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.