Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,367 members, 7,815,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244441 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsQED(m): 6:35am On Dec 21, 2012
NRI PRIEST: There are too many holes in this your post; What's the population of Ishan and when was the community established?? Its gonna talk forever should we start debating the bogus claim you made here. How old is Benin kingdom compare to Nri kingdom ? The ancient originating shrines from which the market days names were borrowed from still exist in Agukwu-Nri way from when Ifikuanim established the kingdom. This is before the Benin kinddom was created. You are talking about Ishan that was probably non existing in the 15 century.

You seem to be mixing up things here. I did not say they got it specifically from the Esan. I said that during their wars of expansion in the 15th century Benin got it from others around them - it could have been from Delta Igbo groups or Esan that got it originally from Delta Igbo, or it could have been from other groups.

I referenced the article because it touches on when Benin got it and how, simply so you would have a source (the article gives sources for this account) for the statement I made. I didn't post it as a means to claim it was specifically from the Esan, although at one point in the past on this forum I did suspect that Benin got it from the Esan, after the Esan had got it from some Igbos. The article has that title because it is mostly (but not entirely) about the Esan version of the cult of the hand, but the information I was referencing from it was only about when Benin got that idea and how.

The first point here is that it was an outside thing to Benin that was obtained at a later period in the kingdom's history when Benin came into more contact with outside cultures through wars, and the second point is that it was not directly from Nri even if one assumes that the idea was a specifically Nri thing to begin with.

The ironic thing is that I am the one that informed you about the "Ikegobo" of Benin and its connection to the "Ikenga" of Igbos in the first place. You read a post of mine elsewhere in this section in the past where I mentioned it and its probable Igbo origin. But once again, for a kingdom which was not on another kingdom's radar (from any available evidence) to be claimed to have "influenced it in many ways" is bizarre.

On the market days, it would be a waste of time to discuss that with you because as I said I have already discussed it at length elsewhere and did not receive a convincing counterargument against why the names seem to really be quadrant/cardinal direction names.

And yes Ikenga is an absolute Nri creation because even the word "Ikenga" has a meaning in Anambra-Igbo.

The point I made is that even if it was a specifically Nri idea/practice originally, and not just an Igbo thing generally, it was not even gotten directly from Nri but through war and expansion at a later point in the Benin kingdom's history, and would easily be from several nearby groups that the kingdom encountered as it expanded. Also, "Ikegobo" has a meaning in Edo, but the concept very likely doesn't originate from the Edo, so I don't see the relevance of that argument. I did not say "Ikenga" was not of Igbo origin, I just disagree with your interpretation of the route through which it reached certain other groups because of what I've already come across on this issue.

The Nze na Ozo red hat was introduced by the Nri in depiction of what the noble title signifies. Nobody in southern Nigeria wore that hat but the Ozo titled chieves but today all Igbos,Igala,Ika and even the Erediuwa wears it but we all know the Benin wore the hat made from knitted red beads. I don't know what you are trying to prove. Some Anioma wear that's beaded hat but it foreign to the Igbo culture and its well understood that it originated from Benin.The Oba of Benin wears the red hat but it was introduced by the Igbo,period!

You are either being disingenuous or you are just in need of corrective eye surgery. In that thread, I posted images of the hat that Omo N'Oba Erediauwa wore that you kept referencing, pointed out that it differed in appearance at the top from the Ozo title holders' hats, pointed out that it was a modern style and not some received tradition of dress style from a previous era, and showed that the exact same type of hat was worn in white. With your reasoning above, you are essentially claiming that once any African monarch, prince or titleholder starts to wear any kind of hat that looks like or is basically a kind of kufi (a hat worn by many different Africans) in the color red - even if they wear it in other colors as well - they are somehow borrowing the "Nze na Ozo" hat. This is just a really silly claim. I didn't think you would go so far as to claim that Igbos - and one specific Igbo kingdom, on top of that - originated all versions of the kufi and patented the use of the color red, but somehow you actually did.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 3:49pm On Dec 21, 2012
Igbos were not wearing hats,not to talk of red hats, until recently. One of the numerous appellations of the Oba of Benin is 'Ododo'(red one) because of the red regalia,from head to toe,that the Omo n Oba wears on some public occassions.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsQED(m): 6:22pm On Dec 21, 2012
I doubt that Igbos were not wearing any hats and I would bet that there was an indigenous word for hat in the language before colonization - there were probably even words for different types of hats.

I think most groups in Nigeria would have had at least one kind of hat before recent times and would have had words for hats in their languages.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bokohalal(m): 7:07pm On Dec 21, 2012
I would like to be convinced they were wearing hats but all I find are exotic feathers stuck into headbands.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 9:41pm On Dec 22, 2012
I AM A MAN IN A DIRE CONFUSED STATE, WE IBOS HAVE A FUNNY WAYS OF ACTING UP, WE ANAMBRAS SEE OURSELVES AS PUREST OF IBO LIKE THE WAY JEWS IN ISREAL SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST OF JEWS AND YORUBA IN IFE SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST AND LOOK DOWN ON IJEBUS,EGUNS AND OKUNS AND HAUSAS KNOWS THE BAKWAI AND BANZAS BUT ALL THE SAME THEY ARE SAME
IGBOLAND AND THE TRIBE ISNT A TRIBE BUT A NATION, I KNOW SOME PEOPLE WILL SAY THAT WE AINT INDEPENDENT, LOL, WE ARE A NATION BUT NOT A COUNTRY, THE WAY HAUSA AND BIG TRIBES ARE SAME,

I MARRIED A DELTA IBO GIRL FROM UKWANI AND THEY ARE THE MOST STUPID PEOPLE COS THE IJAWS AND URHOBOS SEES THEM AS IGBO AND THEY DON’T SEE THEMSELVES AS IGBO AND DUE TO THAT THE MAILAND IGBOS ARE REJECTING THEM WHICH ISNT OUR FAULT, COS ITS ONLY AN IDIOT THAT POINTS THE FATHERS HOUSE WITH A LEFT HAND
WHERE THEY ANSWER EMEKA,OBINNA,NKECHI AND IFEANYI WITH IGBO CILTURES THEY SAY THEY ARE NOT IGBOS BUT I DON’T BLAME THEM, I BLAME IT ON THEIR FATHERS ILLITERACY AND IDIOTCY COS THEY COULDN’T DIFFERENTIATE DIALECT AND ACCENT FROM A LANGUAGE. ITS PATHETIC, I CAN SAY I AM ANAMBRA IBO OR NNEWI IGBO BUT ITS SMACKS STUPIDITY OF ME, I AM IGBO SIMPLE.

THIS IS THE SAME THING WITH THE MAINLAND CHINES AND HONG KONG DUDES, ALL ARE CHINES AND SPEAK MANDARIN, GO TO BRITIAN THEY HAVE IRISH,WESH,SCOT ETC ALL ARE BRITISH AND SAME WITH AUSTRIA,GEMANY AND SOME PARTS OF HOLLAND, THEY ARE ALL DUTCH.
IF THEY AINT IGBO, ESPECIALLY THE UKWUANI AND AGBORS PLS THEY SHOILD STOP BEARING IGBO NAMES,AND SURNAMES. THAT THEIR SMALL BOY OBI IKECHUCKWU SHOULD CONSULT HIS ELDERS

AS OF ORIGINS, IGBOS ORIGINIATED FROM DIFFERENT PLACES,SOME ARE JEWS,SOME AROS,SOME MIGRATED FROM KOGI ETC BUT THEY AMALGAMETED AND ARE ALL IGBOS AND A NATION THE WARY WE HAVE THE NORSE OR NORSEMEN IN FINLAND,SWEDEN,DENMARK AND ICELAND

IGBO ARE THE MOST ADVANCED AND RESSILENCE TRIBE IN NIGERIA FOLLOWED BY THE YORUBAS, WE MIGH HAVE OUR VICES BUT WE ARE PROGRESSIVES WHICH IS WHY WE ARE ENVIED, THANK LORD THE ASABAS,ONICHA UGBOS AND ALONA DON’T DO THIS APART FROM THE IKAS AND UKWUANI AND THIS IS UNFORTUNATE
I CALL THEM LOST SOULS
THIS MY SUBMISSION
[b]I AM A MAN IN A DIRE CONFUSED STATE, WE IBOS HAVE A FUNNY WAYS OF ACTING UP, WE ANAMBRAS SEE OURSELVES AS PUREST OF IBO LIKE THE WAY JEWS IN ISREAL SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST OF JEWS AND YORUBA IN IFE SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST AND LOOK DOWN ON IJEBUS,EGUNS AND OKUNS AND HAUSAS KNOWS THE BAKWAI AND BANZAS BUT ALL THE SAME THEY ARE SAME
IGBOLAND AND THE TRIBE ISNT A TRIBE BUT A NATION, I KNOW SOME PEOPLE WILL SAY THAT WE AINT INDEPENDENT, LOL, WE ARE A NATION BUT NOT A COUNTRY, THE WAY HAUSA AND BIG TRIBES ARE SAME,

I MARRIED A DELTA IBO GIRL FROM UKWANI AND THEY ARE THE MOST STUPID PEOPLE COS THE IJAWS AND URHOBOS SEES THEM AS IGBO AND THEY DON’T SEE THEMSELVES AS IGBO AND DUE TO THAT THE MAILAND IGBOS ARE REJECTING THEM WHICH ISNT OUR FAULT, COS ITS ONLY AN IDIOT THAT POINTS THE FATHERS HOUSE WITH A LEFT HAND
WHERE THEY ANSWER EMEKA,OBINNA,NKECHI AND IFEANYI WITH IGBO CILTURES THEY SAY THEY ARE NOT IGBOS BUT I DON’T BLAME THEM, I BLAME IT ON THEIR FATHERS ILLITERACY AND IDIOTCY COS THEY COULDN’T DIFFERENTIATE DIALECT AND ACCENT FROM A LANGUAGE. ITS PATHETIC, I CAN SAY I AM ANAMBRA IBO OR NNEWI IGBO BUT ITS SMACKS STUPIDITY OF ME, I AM IGBO SIMPLE.

THIS IS THE SAME THING WITH THE MAINLAND CHINES AND HONG KONG DUDES, ALL ARE CHINES AND SPEAK MANDARIN, GO TO BRITIAN THEY HAVE IRISH,WESH,SCOT ETC ALL ARE BRITISH AND SAME WITH AUSTRIA,GEMANY AND SOME PARTS OF HOLLAND, THEY ARE ALL DUTCH.
IF THEY AINT IGBO, ESPECIALLY THE UKWUANI AND AGBORS PLS THEY SHOILD STOP BEARING IGBO NAMES,AND SURNAMES. THAT THEIR SMALL BOY OBI IKECHUCKWU SHOULD CONSULT HIS ELDERS

AS OF ORIGINS, IGBOS ORIGINIATED FROM DIFFERENT PLACES,SOME ARE JEWS,SOME AROS,SOME MIGRATED FROM KOGI ETC BUT THEY AMALGAMETED AND ARE ALL IGBOS AND A NATION THE WARY WE HAVE THE NORSE OR NORSEMEN IN FINLAND,SWEDEN,DENMARK AND ICELAND

IGBO ARE THE MOST ADVANCED AND RESSILENCE TRIBE IN NIGERIA FOLLOWED BY THE YORUBAS, WE MIGH HAVE OUR VICES BUT WE ARE PROGRESSIVES WHICH IS WHY WE ARE ENVIED, THANK LORD THE ASABAS,ONICHA UGBOS AND ALONA DON’T DO THIS APART FROM THE IKAS AND UKWUANI AND THIS IS UNFORTUNATE
I CALL THEM LOST SOULS
THIS MY SUBMISSION
[/b]I AM A MAN IN A DIRE CONFUSED STATE, WE IBOS HAVE A FUNNY WAYS OF ACTING UP, WE ANAMBRAS SEE OURSELVES AS PUREST OF IBO LIKE THE WAY JEWS IN ISREAL SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST OF JEWS AND YORUBA IN IFE SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST AND LOOK DOWN ON IJEBUS,EGUNS AND OKUNS AND HAUSAS KNOWS THE BAKWAI AND BANZAS BUT ALL THE SAME THEY ARE SAME

I CALL THEM LOST SOULS
THIS MY SUBMISSION
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2012
tonychristopher: I AM A MAN IN A DIRE CONFUSED STATE, WE IBOS HAVE A FUNNY WAYS OF ACTING UP, WE ANAMBRAS SEE OURSELVES AS PUREST OF IBO LIKE THE WAY JEWS IN ISREAL SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST OF JEWS AND YORUBA IN IFE SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST AND LOOK DOWN ON IJEBUS,EGUNS AND OKUNS AND HAUSAS KNOWS THE BAKWAI AND BANZAS BUT ALL THE SAME THEY ARE SAME

I CALL THEM LOST SOULS
THIS MY SUBMISSION
[b]I AM A MAN IN A DIRE CONFUSED STATE, WE IBOS HAVE A FUNNY WAYS OF ACTING UP, WE ANAMBRAS SEE OURSELVES AS PUREST OF IBO LIKE THE WAY JEWS IN ISREAL SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST OF JEWS AND YORUBA IN IFE SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST AND LOOK DOWN ON IJEBUS,EGUNS AND OKUNS AND HAUSAS KNOWS THE BAKWAI AND BANZAS BUT ALL THE SAME THEY ARE SAME

I CALL THEM LOST SOULS
THIS MY SUBMISSION
[/b]I AM A MAN IN A DIRE CONFUSED STATE, WE IBOS HAVE A FUNNY WAYS OF ACTING UP, WE ANAMBRAS SEE OURSELVES AS PUREST OF IBO LIKE THE WAY JEWS IN ISREAL SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST OF JEWS AND YORUBA IN IFE SEES THEMSELVES AS THE PUREST AND LOOK DOWN ON IJEBUS,EGUNS AND OKUNS AND HAUSAS KNOWS THE BAKWAI AND BANZAS BUT ALL THE SAME THEY ARE SAME

I CALL THEM LOST SOULS
THIS MY SUBMISSION
There's also a lady called Ishilove from Ukwuani. She also doesn't see herself as Igbo.

Btw, what does your wife see herself as?

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 10:19am On Dec 24, 2012
PhysicsQED: I doubt that Igbos were not wearing any hats and I would bet that there was an indigenous word for hat in the language before colonization - there were probably even words for different types of hats.

I think most groups in Nigeria would have had at least one kind of hat before recent times and would have had words for hats in their languages.

okpu igbo word for hat....
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 10:22am On Dec 24, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

So nwanne,you don't know much about the Nri hegemony,right ?

honestly, i dont.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 1:50pm On Dec 29, 2012
1. for those who like to postulate nri as if it is older than many cultures in nigeria this is a take for you ,surely nri was a great culture but it ended around 1920s because the british destroyed its fabric.but the kingdom has been revived
2. the nri culture was dated between 9th- 18th century by some historians.
3. nri as a kingdom and culture was given a boost after the igbo-ukwu discovery ,but igbo ukwu is a different town from nri ,that is what many people do not seem to understand.
4. nri culture is also given many theories as some believe it is the origin of igbo land or culture, while others say it is an igala culture as nri is igala,while some say it is igbo ukwu that is the origin of igbos ,but surely it was a great culture and in that nri culture their kings were buried sitting while their chiefs had certain marks and tatoes, their culture gave rise to the four market days used by many towns.
5. but their kingship was not like the one practiced by ika or bini or yoruba people , it was like a spiritual or ritual kingship that was why the british called nri king a ritual king or a spiritual kingship
6. the oldest artifacts found in nigeria are the nok artifacts or the nok culture in the northern part of nigeria and many theories abound as to the fact that most nigerian tribes originated from there ,it is an ancient civilization and the kingdom did not continue to modern times , so nri is not the oldest kingdom in nigeria and igbo ukwu is not , please get the facts right .
7. there is a stone wall and a canoe found in nok and it is dated as 50,000 years.
8. iwo -eleru is in ondo and the art work found there is dated 7the B.C. that is before christ,nri or igbo ukwu is not near that.
9. in ife too there are many ancient works and in benin too and other places,
10. benin as an empire started in 15th century under ewuare ,but before that time benin existed as a small state and kingdom long before that ,infact benin was first called igodomigodo and their king was called ogiso and according to history , ogisos ruled benin for more than 1000 years before they changed to obaship and before that time benin was also ruled by odions when it was a small enclave.
11. as for agbor ,the kingdom was first known as ominijie thousands of years ago and their rulers were called ogele and they also ruled agbor for thousand years ,later agbor was changed to igidi and ruled by ogiso and later 12th century it was called agbon from the word ogugunagbon , it was the british in 1906 that changed it to agbor from the benin word agbon meaning earth , and it was ruled by obi/dein.
12. professor owuejeogwu who was an igbo historian from ibusa and who is of the opinion that agbor/ika were ibos but that they had migration from benin in 15th century and ika culture that is four thousand years old and nri dated 9-18th century , so if you look , you will find out that the professor dated ika culture as being older than nri and benin culture.
13. there are still some agbor/ika elders that believe ominijie is older than all culture including that of benin ,but they believe that the early ominijie people and bini were relatives.
14. even owa kingdoms history started before the nri cultural period , because it is dated as 6-7 th century when adagba led people from ekoha in ovia to migrate and found owa kingdom in ofien.
15. no doubt nri culture was widely spread and it influenced many communities in one way or the other ,other cultures also influenced it ,a student of history must take note of dates and datings,.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by odumchi: 7:00pm On Dec 29, 2012
What is the traditional staple crop of the Ika?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Yujin(m): 7:53pm On Dec 29, 2012
sonya4all: Yujin,i'll kindly ask that you please check your facts before posting,who told u am in owerri,ur allusion dat ika land is just 20minutes drive,already shows how ignorant you are about the people and geography of ika nation,need i point it out to you that,ika people inhabit places in edo state? Oriomhon lga,so all that is 20mins? Why are you crying,because we seek to be called ika,not igbon or benin.. If you are reasonable enough you will respect that,but am not surprise,you and ur kins are showing off what ur tribe is known for.
Me crying? Crying over what? I'm just concerned that some people just love to hate their own people simply because other people have subconciously planted bitterness in their minds and they themselves fail to understand it. I know the extent of Ikaland and those you will like to include(some parts of Edo) in your new ethnic group but you will meet similar treatment you dished to your own people(general Igbo) then. Am I sounding sad?
Yes, Ikaland by the straight tarred road is not more than 20mins drive. I know where Ika south Lga stops(Igbodo) and Alifekede near Agbor where it starts. Igbanke is by the side
and others(in Edo) who will likewise deny you people when the time comes.
Again I say: nobody is interested in your land as they have made you believe or has any Igbo(SE) begged for free land from you? Ndigbo do not beg! Is Ikaland richer than other parts of Igboland? Some of us are trying to wipe off the ignorance that is perpetuating prejudice/sentiments and outright discrimination while some of you are making matters worst. Funny enough, some decades from now it will be those with the wherewithal that will be controlling the areas.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Yujin(m): 8:04pm On Dec 29, 2012
One_Naira:

This is what I don't like about some Igbos on NL. You people drag everyone understand the bus and you believe the stories some of this people tell you on NL. There are many of Ikas that are not like Agbotean and their are others like him. If you went back couples of pages you would have seen it. Even their obi does not subscribe to his view and also the whole Ika weren't in Biafra war is nothing but false stories abgotean continue to tell himself. If you going to attack him, attack the dude or at least attack him and others like him, not everyone.

To address The Ika involvement in Biafra, I didn't want to address Agbotean before on it because the dude is on another world from what I can see but since you are attacking there community over it, I gotta defend them dude. The war was actually casued by his people if we follow the line of "Igbo coup", majority of the officers during the coup were Ika descendant and many of them fought for Biafra when the war started and fought till the end. Here's what's written by Emma Okocha on the subject.

"The II divisions made of mainly Ika I[g]bo] never surrendered and under Colonel Nwawo defended Nnewi the only major Biafran city that never fell until the end."
"Commander of Biafran Navy Anukwu (Agbor) is dead and his house in Boji-Boji burnt! These officers have never been paid anything…pension nothing and nobody from the East bothered.

They are not the same as Biafran officers…who agreed and declared Biafra. These people were Nigerian soldiers. Why have the state Eastern governors abandoned the Ika I[g]bo?"
http://www.kwenu.com/archive/okocha_anioma.htm

If you decide to read the entire article, I know some would, yes it is ranting and blaming SE Igbo for not caring about Western Igbos and other pointing blame factors. Please do not read too much into it. Emma Okocha is a very proud Igbo man. In his article it didn't sound like it but you should read his other articles, he even contested to join ohaneze once. I don't know what motivated the ranting but I brought it out because it addressed what I wanted to let you know.

Don't listen to Agbotean, take whatever that man tells you with a pinch of salt cause it's already salted.
Nwanna, anugom. Amaram na oburo madu ncha na futaya na udia mana obu ife n wuta na umunne na kpo umunne fa asi etu a. Dalu so.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:35am On Dec 31, 2012
odumchi: What is the traditional staple crop of the Ika?

Yam.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 7:08pm On Dec 31, 2012
odumchi: What is the traditional staple crop of the Ika?
Lol the same thing that it is for most of West Africa; yam.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:38pm On Dec 31, 2012
ChinenyeN:

West Africa like who and whom ??
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 9:01pm On Dec 31, 2012
Research West Africa's "Yam Belt".
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by odumchi: 2:47am On Jan 01, 2013
ChinenyeN:
NRI PRIEST:

Yam.

Interesting. Thanks.

Do they also have ovo/ofo/owho na ogu?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Malawian(m): 9:28am On Jan 01, 2013
Agbotaen is also here ?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 11:45am On Jan 08, 2013
1. my igbo man , why dont you learn ? colonel nwawo is not an ika man ,and dont drag all anioma people as ika people , that is the mistake many nigerians especially the igbos make that of lumping every one in anioma as ika or igbo as they may want us to believe.please go and learn about anioma area properly and stop making wrong assertions,
2. now that you want to talk about civil war let me correct you , the only ika person of note who was a major player in the civil war was anuku the first biafran navy commander , he was from owa kingdom and in fact a relative of mine ,and he is an ika man ,the other people you call ika are not ika people , they may be from aniocha/oshimili,and the generality of ika people did not support biafra as major j. ighodalo from agbor,captain a.d polo from owa, philip igunbor from umunede a captain, captain osunbor from igbanke and ogbemudia from igbanke were all ika people on the nigerian side and they assisted the nigeria troops in sending away the biafrans from ika land.
3. during the war it will interest you to know that owa and umunede was where the army of nigeria camped and the late general muritala mohammed lived and camped in owa kingdom with the assistance of obi efeizomor of owa .muritala was able to send the biafrans away .he even bagged a title called ojeba in owa and up till today the bound between owa kingdom and muritalas family is still intact because they still visit owa , even after the death of the general and the fact that his mum is an edo woman .
4. during the war , the obi of owa ,along with the obi of umunede and dein of agbor were members of the mid west think thank on the war and elders of thought.
5. we have it on record that the obi of owa was declared wanted dead or alive by the biafran troops.
6. be that as it may be often said that majority of ika people know they are not igbo ,but there are just a few who believe they are igbos , it is also their human right to say that , but i would want one igbodo man ogbuefi who always says the whole of igbodo and ika are igbos and other igbo propagandist to please go to ikaworld.com and check out how igbodo people went to the palace of their obi to chase away an igbo woman whom the obi married from the palace , the woman is from ebonyi , it was said that it is against igbodo/ika tradition for their obi to marry an outsider who is not from igbodo or edo or other anioma towns with royalty.and if the whole of igbodo believes they are igbos ,why do they reject an igbo woman from being their queen ?
7. finally banjo was a yoruba man and he fought for biafra but the majority of yorubas rejected the idea of biafra that is important,anuku fought for biafra but majority of ika rejected biafra, that is also important.
8. ika did not suffer the devastation of other communities during the war , except for igbodo area who have some citizens who supported biafra and believed they are igbos, so the majority of ika people dont have this war hangover and hatred for others as many igbo people have.
9. killings happen in the north to all outsiders or stranger , it is not because they go for igbos alone ,they also kill bini, yoruba,igala and ika people and others , but it is because igbos are living in the north in large numbers that is why .so please lets get things right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 9:30am On Jan 09, 2013
Please tell them......Igbons
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 12:23pm On Jan 09, 2013
1. igbo people why are you not tired of propaganda ? the dein of agbor or majority of agbor people dont want to be associated with igbo or to be called igbo , cant you understand this simple logic, have you ever heard or seen dein of agbor in ohaneze ndigbo meeting ? the answer is that he will never go there ,he will only go to ogua ika meeting or anioma meeting.
2. we have dealth with the issue of names of ika people several times, and i guess you know that every bonafide ika person has a benin name, and that we also have igbo names ,but our surnames are usually benin or ishan names ,and that our ika people started bearing igbo names in the last say 100 years or so and this is a recent development.
3. nduka irabor is currently the chairman for the reforms in the nigeria football federation league ,he is from owa kingdom, nduka is an igbo name and his surname is irabor -which you know is benin,
nduka obaigbena is from owa , his surname is obaIgbena which is also a benin name too,the obi of akumazi is steven osagie , steven is a european name while osagie is a benin name,
the obi of owa is emmanuel efeizomor -efezomor is a benin name ,as for the dein of agbor his full names are kiagborekuzi ikenchuwu igbenoba - gbenoba is his family name and it is a benin name, his father was ikenchuku gbenoba , son of obika gbenoba -son of aigbobu or osaigbovou which are all benin names ,so please dont only take his first name or igbo name , you should also chech for his surname.
the obi of owa is emmanuel onyenike efeizomor obaigbena okundaiye, i think that is enough
4. ika people are just happy to be ika , we have never claimed to be benin or igbo but simply ika .and we take our decision based on that.
5. as for killings in the north it is not igbo alone that are killed ijaws, yorubas, edos, igalas and others are also killed , but because igbos live in the north in large numbers that is why many of them are killed , ika people are also killed too .but igbos so much love to invoke pity and cry that is why most people think they are the only ones being killed , and the killings in the north right now seems to be targetted against some religion and not specifically tribal

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OneNaira6: 12:37pm On Jan 09, 2013
agbotaen: 1. my igbo man , why dont you learn ? colonel nwawo is not an ika man ,and dont drag all anioma people as ika people , that is the mistake many nigerians especially the igbos make that of lumping every one in anioma as ika or igbo as they may want us to believe.please go and learn about anioma area properly and stop making wrong assertions,
2. now that you want to talk about civil war let me correct you , the only ika person of note who was a major player in the civil war was anuku the first biafran navy commander , he was from owa kingdom and in fact a relative of mine ,and he is an ika man ,the other people you call ika are not ika people , they may be from aniocha/oshimili,and the generality of ika people did not support biafra as major j. ighodalo from agbor,captain a.d polo from owa, philip igunbor from umunede a captain, captain osunbor from igbanke and ogbemudia from igbanke were all ika people on the nigerian side and they assisted the nigeria troops in sending away the biafrans from ika land.
3. during the war it will interest you to know that owa and umunede was where the army of nigeria camped and the late general muritala mohammed lived and camped in owa kingdom with the assistance of obi efeizomor of owa .muritala was able to send the biafrans away .he even bagged a title called ojeba in owa and up till today the bound between owa kingdom and muritalas family is still intact because they still visit owa , even after the death of the general and the fact that his mum is an edo woman .
4. during the war , the obi of owa ,along with the obi of umunede and dein of agbor were members of the mid west think thank on the war and elders of thought.
5. we have it on record that the obi of owa was declared wanted dead or alive by the biafran troops.
6. be that as it may be often said that majority of ika people know they are not igbo ,but there are just a few who believe they are igbos , it is also their human right to say that , but i would want one igbodo man ogbuefi who always says the whole of igbodo and ika are igbos and other igbo propagandist to please go to ikaworld.com and check out how igbodo people went to the palace of their obi to chase away an igbo woman whom the obi married from the palace , the woman is from ebonyi , it was said that it is against igbodo/ika tradition for their obi to marry an outsider who is not from igbodo or edo or other anioma towns with royalty.and if the whole of igbodo believes they are igbos ,why do they reject an igbo woman from being their queen ?
7. finally banjo was a yoruba man and he fought for biafra but the majority of yorubas rejected the idea of biafra that is important,anuku fought for biafra but majority of ika rejected biafra, that is also important.
8. ika did not suffer the devastation of other communities during the war , except for igbodo area who have some citizens who supported biafra and believed they are igbos, so the majority of ika people dont have this war hangover and hatred for others as many igbo people have.
9. killings happen in the north to all outsiders or stranger , it is not because they go for igbos alone ,they also kill bini, yoruba,igala and ika people and others , but it is because igbos are living in the north in large numbers that is why .so please lets get things right.

Either you have reading comprehension problem or you are blind.

"The II divisions made of mainly Ika I[g]bo] never surrendered and under Colonel Nwawo defended Nnewi"
http://www.kwenu.com/archive/okocha_anioma.htm

The key word there is "MADE OF MAINLY" and UNDER. Since you unable to grasp it, let me simplify it for you. Division 2 foot soldiers were MADE OF MAINLY Ika's. The guy that lead them was Colonel Nwawo. It never said Nwawo was ika, everyone know the dude is from Aniocha. The soldiers he lead were predominately Ika. Dude f2king read the sh1t you are replying to before trying to spin your own lies. LMFAO @ how you and anukwu are relative. A so called relative that you cannot even spell his name correctly. LMFAO. It's Anukwu. Before you were related to the Obi, now Anukwu, next thing we'll hear from you is that you are related to Jesus. Anyway, You are lucky every site that wrote about him, only wrote "Ika" as his origin as oppose to his specific town. I wonder who I should believe Emma Okocha whom is an advocate for awareness of Western Igbo involvement and tragedy that bestowed on each town during Biafra and also someone that interacts with all past Anioma's ex-biafran soldiers, etc or you, agbotean, a man know to lie even if his grandmother life depended on the truth. I wonder who I'll believe. By the way, you are one hilarious @ss dude. You do realize there is something called "google" and "search engines" right? You did realize I would google the names you provided correct? LMFAO, how none of those men, excluding one, are written anywhere in terms of the Biafra war despite agbotean story told us they were "major, colonel, captain, etc". LMFAO. Dude you are good story teller. By the way, Samuel Osaigbovo Ogbemudia is from Benin. Ikas really need to stop laying claim to this man, it is getting pathetic now. Until he comes out and tell the world otherwise, his bloodline, origin, birth place is Benin.

One last thing to piss you off Agbotean. Since you brought in Midwest

"From the perspective of the Midwest, Ibo-speaking officers and men from the Ika, Asaba and Aboh divisions of the state joined the massive exodus of easterners from other parts of the country"
http://www.dawodu.net/midwest.htm

Above is the article Nigerians love to use to speak of the midwest invasion. Just using their side to laugh at your stupidity, despite trying so hard to spin whatever story you wish upon yourself, everyone else thinks otherwise from both side. You are one sad, desperate, man. You need to write a book cause dude you are good in telling stories.

Anyway, tell whatever stories you want. I really don't care, just don't ever disturb me again and most importantly bring me back to this forum again. I'm tired of the bs from the mods, the members, the banning for no damn reason, and all that other sh1t but this sh1t keep popping up on my email. I don't like breaking simple sh1t down for something so easily read and should be easy to understand by anyone. You desperate attention seeking is annoying as f2k to me so Dude don't f2king disturb me again. Read what you are addressing carefully before popping off.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OneNaira6: 12:45pm On Jan 09, 2013
Yujin:
Nwanna, anugom. Amaram na oburo madu ncha na futaya na udia mana obu ife n wuta na umunne na kpo umunne fa asi etu a. Dalu so.

I'm not 100% fluent in reading Igbo so my translation of what you wrote might not be fully accurate. Anyway, if my translation is correct then all I can say is that is how agbotean is. The dude is a story teller. Just google whatever he tells us you to check it's accuracy before attacking any community.

You are correct not all are like that. On this forum at least there is Agbotean and sonya that "Ika are not Igbo" and then there is Ogbuefi and Ezeagu whom are also Ika but see themselves as Igbo. When you attack Agbotean and the community, you are equally attacking Ogbuefi and Ezeagu as well thus the reason I mentioned if you are going to attack the guy, you should attack him and other's like him as oppose to the entire community.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 2:26pm On Jan 09, 2013
1. mr igbo propaganda what you copied is not different from the believe by most igbo people that all northerners are hausas, so please tell me the names of the ika people that fought for biafra besides anuku ?
2. how and why did general muritala reside in owa kingdom, and why was umunede a centre for nigeria army during the war , and why did majority of ika people reject biafra and assist nigeria army to expell biafra ?
3. ika was not pART OF BIAFRA AND OUR PEOPLE DID not support the biafra army, we supported nigeria army.
4. till today majority of ikas distance themselves from igbo people or igbo organisations , that is why you cant see a notable ika man in ohaneze ndigbo.
5. it seems most igbos and some nigerians cannot differentiate between ika and aniocha or oshimili people, nigeria is full of people who lump every body together , like calling every delta north person an ika -ibo person , that is the fallacy of the century .
6. no bonafide ika person want to be igbo , and ika has great differences with igbo , why do igbos sort to classify every one as igbo , when the people are rejecting them, it is as if the igbos have a political agenda , please carry your igboness to another are and leave ika people alone ,we dont want to be igbon.,
7. that majority of ika people rejected being igbo and biafra in 1966 is a major lesson for the igbos ,and a fact that ika people do not want any thing to do with the igbos.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 2:46pm On Jan 09, 2013
1. please ask mr ogbuefi a known igbo propagandist from igbodo ,why the igbodo community rejected their obi marrying an igbo woman from ebonyi and they have gone to the palace to eject the woman , i have often said it that majority of ika people know where they are from and only owes allegiance to ogua ika and not to any igbo ethnic organisation.
the igbodo community said the obi must marry an igbodo person or ika or any anioma person.
2. which of these notable ika persons belong to ohaneze ndigbo or any known igbo ethnic meetings ?
1.nduka obaigbena
2. jim ovia
3. nduka irabor,
4. dein of agbor
5. obi of owa,
6. obi of umunede
7. obi of abavo
8. bamidele steve omojafor
9. general usiade
10. professor osaigbovou
11. professor igborgbor
12. professor k. okoh
13. senator ifeanyi okowa
14. sam obi
15. price andrew jegbefume
16. joe orewa
17 . primate n. okoh
18. filips eboigbe
19. ambassador godson echegile eguabor
20 .general aigbogun
21. general iruh,
22. steve george orewa
23. emeke iwerebor
24. humphry iwerebor
26. anthony osagie,
27. general buzugbe
28. chief paul idemudia
29. martins okonta,
30 . sam ebonka

it is high time the igbos tell themselves the truth that ika people are not igbos and that they have rejected being igbo, although igbos are known for propaganda because during the civil war , when nigeria army was founding the living day light out of biafran areas , the biafra government was bussy tellings lies and propaganda that they have conquered nigeria and even when ojukwu ran away to cote de voire , the lies went on that he would soon return to vanquish the nigeria army.the other day one of my igbo friend was brandishing a map of biafra containing agbor and ika land area,it was just laughable as i told him that ika was never part of biafra in 1967 , so it is not possible to include it now as ika people will resist it.not long the agbor congress issued a warning against any one trying to include agbor in their biafran plan to dessit from it.
this is 2013 , let the igbos wake up and see that all ethnic group in nigeria are wiser now and no one will force any one to be what they are not.biafra failed in ika land , after the capture of ika and midwest in 1967, three months later nigeria recaptured ika with the assistance of natives of ika land.the areas where the nigeria army faced ressistance was in aniocha and oshimili area and the result was the killings of civilians in that area by the nigeria troops,that is why up till now there is still the civil war sentiments and a strong pro-igbo sentiments in that area , unlike in ika , where our people have no time for igbo sentiments and all we want to hear is ika,as our fathers universal declaration of 1930 still stands and helped us to create our own socio-cultural and ethnic identity and group called ogua/onu ika , right now headed by sunday osifo.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 3:03pm On Jan 09, 2013
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO MY IKA BROTHERS,
( iselogbe or mgbeni akanile, both of these phrases are used by ika people to say happy new year ) especially people from owa, agbor, abavo and some others.

mri akpanmin oselobue ,hun o gi ni enyin hun ifoni,
ehi dodo gbondon ni enyin irehun, idoboro le uloro,
ani le ojuwu kpokpo umun le ebon enyin ooo,
oselobue baba , ebihia kor ile enyin,
we gia akpa itan ni wene ihian ari isi udara oraukutubha,
dodo, ni ukpe i , le ighogho i ,le efe i ,
e son umun, ika ile , we ri ogbara ogbe,ra,we ri isere ra ,weri imughe,
gha itebite de ru itebite ,
ani ile eje eson ken enyin egbun,ni ehi zegbe ni enyin,
iselogbe .

this is for those who understand ika language , it is a new year prayer and wish for them
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 4:25pm On Jan 09, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]
iseh o..Agbontean ni tor,ni ikpetime ma miri ye igbon lecha la cho ni we kpo kpo enyi ye ali we hun ndi ika ju aju.,.Godspeed.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:33pm On Jan 09, 2013
thanks my brother , my interest is solely on ika people ,history and culture and how to preseve it ,in delta we have close to 500,000 ikas and in edo we have many ,so we are not such a minority like some will want us to believe , we are more in number than some countries on earth .
2. all ika people must try and learn about their ancestory because if we dont others will tell us fake history.as we say in owa dialect - we ra hini ihian and in bini aihinomor- we do not live for others or for the child,
no person can be an ika person if he or she is not.
3. our culture is unique and that was why our ancestors fought against benin hegemony ,some times failing and some times succeeding but never giving up.we also thank oselobue and our ehi that today ika people have made great progress in delta/edo /nigeria and even around the world, we have jim ovia ranked among the richest nigerian business man,
2. nduka obaigbena and nduka irabor as some of nigeia greatest journalist,
3. steve omojafor as one of the greatest advert guru in nigeria
4. primate okoh as head of anglican church in nigeria
5. general buzugbe as secretary nigeria army,
6. D.I.G UGBAJA in the police rtd.
7. general usiade as army director of finance rtd, general osokogu,.general iruh,general aigbogun,
8. senator ifeanyi okowa, ambasador godson echegile eguabor,dorris ubo -mrs
9. sam obi as former acting governor delta state and former speaker
10. martins okonta as former speaker,
11. mr agbele as accountant general of delta state
12. sam ebonka as former deputy governor delta state
13. dr .okunbor is chief of staff delta state,
14, mrs ejeteh is director general delta pry school board,
15. dandy chuks okoh is special advise to deputy senate president,
16. emrke iwerebor is one of the heads of united bank for africa,
17. dr. cairo ojougboh was special adviser to president of nigeria,
18. many professors such as]-
1. prof. igborgbor
2. prof. osaigbovou
3. prof . jegbefume
4. prof ,a ,k okonta
5. prof. okoh
6.prof. mrs p, okoh
7. prof, anthony osagie
8. prof. sam ukala and many others like prof.okenimkpe and others
9. former world weltr weight champion joe orewa ,
10. obika gbenoba =the former obi of agbor and anuku from owa were ministers in old western region
11. osunhon was a minster in midwest,
12. ivie jegbefume was a minister for education in midwest
13. rita anuku was former miss nigeria ,
14. ika and agbor has dein of agbor as the youngest crowned monarch in the world and agbor kingdom is one of the most respected kingdoms in and outside nigeria.dein is also youngest pro-chancelor in africa
15. obi of owa is a monarch that has made ika people proud by the respect and number of awards and positions he has held in nigeria
what do we want ,than to thank GOD and ask him to bless us more and also to make our political office holders to develop ika land as we cannot be crying margiinalisation like others do, we are blessed , it is left for us to develop our area as there are over 400 ethnic groups in nigeria , so is it only ikas that god willbless

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Antivirus92(m): 9:01am On Jan 12, 2013
Some people may instantly crucify me. But again i go, agbaetan is correct. Ika,agbo and alot of deltans are not of igbo origin. The truth is that many igbo merchants settle across the bridge far back. They(igbos) mix with the few people that they met there and introduce their language,culture and tradition to them. Those people in return adopted the igbo language,tradition and culture,mixing it with their own. If u go to those places today, you will understand what i mean.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 11:50am On Jan 12, 2013
Ndigbo do not go about teaching people their language. All the places Ndigbo have settled, there is no history of them teaching people their language and culture. To the north, all the Igbo neighbours do not practice Igbo culture nor speak Igbo. Ndigbo are settled in Cameoun and Equatorial guinea for over 300 years, yet their neighbours over there do not speak Igbo nor practice Igbo culture. As a consequence, it is a fallacy for someone to claim that Igbo people migrated across the Niger and influenced people with their culture and language. Even in recent places where Ndigbo have settled e.g Badagry, Cotonou, Abidjan, Suleija, Gwagwalada, Yenogoa etc, their neighbours or indigenes of those areas do not speak Igbo and Ndigbo as in the past have not hired translators or teachers to teach them Igbo language. The Nri (Igbo) culture that is practiced in Anioma did not come with force nor translators. So those who practice the Igbo culture there are Igbo.
We do know about the ancient Benin empire and how they influenced their neighbours. The ancient Benin empire extended east wards and as a result Ndigbo were affected by this eastward expansion. So no surprise about the Bini aristocracy etc you find in Igboland.
On Ohanaeze Ndigbo, its a pity some fools up till now do not know that Ohanaeze is not a body that one can register individually. It is an outright stupidity for one to draw a whole lists of his village elders and ask us which one is in Ohanaeze. To know who is in Ohanaeze is easily learnt from Obis and your elected representatives into Ime Obi of Ohanaeze. Only last September, all the Obis were at a function of Ndigbo in Asaba to represent their various communities. No notable Obi from Delta state was absent. Any dimwit who has a problem with followers of Ohanaeze should go to the Obis and ask them to phuck off from Ohanaeze instead of displaying stupidity every now and then.
I reside in the U.K and the president of Agbor Town union mr P. Nweke is a devoted member and a strong supporter of onu Anioma and Ohanaeze Ndigbo not just him alone but most other Ikas. Even the newly formed Ohanaeze Ndigbo in Berkshire, England has Ikas as members of this organisation. The Ikas in this thread who have pulled out of Igbo are on their own and I respect their wishes, but must not claim to represent Ika people who are proud Igbo.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Antivirus92(m): 12:05pm On Jan 12, 2013
Yes brother, igbos have not gone round teaching their language to people but some foreigners who settled amongst igbo people do learn igbo language and culture these people never go back to where they came from. I wouldn't screw some one in anioma or else where claiming not to be igbo. But i would be very angry if the person try to re-write the history. The truth is that anioma comprises of native igbos and other settlers. Btw, some of our brothers here in the east who have been re-writting our history. Telling people that igbo is a wave of migration, what have we done to those trolls?. Why is this anioma stuff taken more serious?. I think we should start in the east.

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 194
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.