Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,568 members, 7,812,839 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon (28960 Views)

Ranking Every Nigerian Who Chose To Play For England's Three Lions / Ranking Every Nigerian Who Scored A Premier League Hat-trick / Anthony Joshua Vs Andy Ruiz 2: Time, Venue, Records, Everything You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by koli78: 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2018
let us help you grow your business
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by wellmax(m): 1:14pm On Jun 29, 2018
From your post only intentional handball should be fouled abi?
That was never the rule, except you can show me that it is.

2 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 29, 2018
kodded:
God bless the op,

Germany was eliminated thanks to a last-minute goal that was awarded by var, even tho the referee has already ruled the goal as offside,yet you don't see Germans shouting racism or crying that FIFA is against them

one thing about Africans is that they will never admit that it's their fault,always passing blame undecided

YOU DON SMOKE DRIED FISH, WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS THE OTHER WAY ROUND

YOU MUST NOT HAVE OPINION

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Dedetwo(m): 1:26pm On Jun 29, 2018
TechCapon:
@TechCapon

I’ve been prompted to write a detailed review about Video Assistant referee (VAR) Technology following heavy criticisms of VAR from Nigerians and Africans alike. Africa have been bundled out of the 2018 world cup tournament and a lot of Nigerians think VAR played a key role in kicking Africa out of the tournament. Some even said VAR technology was introduced to eliminate African teams from the World cup ! In this post, I will explain VAR technology better and give deep insight including instances where VAR technology was used and how it favored African teams.

What is VAR and how does it work ?

Video Assistant referee is a team of three people who work together to review certain decisions made by the main referee by watching video replays of the relevant incident . It is a major innovative way to minimize human errors made by the referee during a game. VAR is football’s first use of video technology to reach more correct decisions.. The team is comprised of the video assistant referee himself (VAR), his assistant (AVAR) and a replay operator. They are situated in a video operation room which is essentially a room full of monitors offering different camera angles. The VAR team have the best viewing angles and full access to all 33 cameras in the stadium and communicates with the referee via a special fibre-optic radio. The VAR has no power to overrule a decision, he can only review a decision by the referee and help him make a but the final decision is made by the referee himself.

What are the rules of VAR ?

The video assistant referee team supports the decision-making process of the referee in four critical game-changing situations:

1. Penalty decisions and offences leading up to a penalty including foul leading up to penalty
2. Goals and offences leading up to a goal.
3. Direct red card incidents only.
4. Mistaken identity

Did FIFA introduce VAR technology just because of the world cup ?

CAPITAL NO ! VAR have already been in existence since last year with Italian Serie A and German Bundesliga already using the technology. The only reason the English premiere league are not using it yet is because more than half of the club voted against it. It’s only a matter of time before they join other leagues who have implemented it.

Can VAR also make a mistake ?

Yes it can ! No technology is 100% perfect. I'll give instance where made mistakes in the world cup. However, I can say with full confident that VAR is 90% accurate. 90% accuracy in any exam is excellent and I commend FIFA president Gianni Infantino for introducing this excellent technology into football. If the English Premiere League choose to remain in the stone age, that’s their problem.

Instances where VAR was used in the World cup and their verdicts according to top football analysts.

Sengal vs Colombia – Senegal denied penalty
VAR: Yes

Verdict: Correct decision

South Korea vs Germany – Kim goal awarded after initial offside call

Mexico vs Sweden – No penalty for Hernandez handball

Nigeria vs Argentina – Nigeria denied penalty

Verdict: Correct decision (Yes it was poor defending by Rojo, the handball was however not intentional)

Iran vs Portugal – Iran awarded penalty

Verdict: Wrong decision (Unintentional handball)

Iran vs Portugal – Ronaldo awarded penalty

Saudi Arabia vs Egypt – Saudis given second penalty

Verdict: Wrong decision

England vs Panama – Kane awarded hat-trick

Belgium vs Tunisia – Hazard awarded penalty

Nigeria vs Iceland – Sigurdsson blunders late lifeline

Brazil vs Costa Rica – Neymar dives for a penalty

Iran vs Spain – An offside equaliser

Sweden vs South Korea – VAR-assisted penalty decision

Was VAR really against African teams ?

From the analysis above, the answer is a BIG FAT NO. VAR made the right call almost in all the games. The only mistake VAR did in an African game is between Egypt and Saudi Arabia which analysts recognized but it’s not an African witch hunt. It was South Korea’s late goal, confirmed by VAR, knocked Germany out of the FIFA World Cup yet they didn’t cry wolf. VAR made a mistake against Portugal yet Portugal qualified. Lack of quality and preparation caused Africa to exit the world cup in such a disgraceful manner. You cannot give what you don’t have !

SOURCE:http://techcapon.com/what-every-nigerian-should-know-about-var-technology/

No player kicks or heads the ball to his or her hand and claims not intentional. This is elementary rule of football. The action not to award penalty to Nigeria was pure intentionally. By the way, are Africans not qualified to man the VAR? FIFA is not for Africans period.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by mickey226(m): 1:33pm On Jun 29, 2018
oga OP when a defender's arm is up in the air it comes in contact with the ball right in his 18yrd box, it's a clear foul and a penalty.

5 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by mickey226(m): 1:36pm On Jun 29, 2018
oga OP when a defender's arm is up in the air and it comes in contact with the ball right in his 18yrd box, it's a clear foul and a penalty.

1 Like

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by ekiyorA(m): 1:44pm On Jun 29, 2018
That was a clear penalty. Sweden should also have had a penalty against Mexico.

2 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by mytym(m): 1:48pm On Jun 29, 2018
TechCapon:
which is the more reason we need VAR. This is world cup, a whole country cannot suffer and be sent of out the tournament simply because referee didn't have a good viewing angle. We need mistakes to be eliminated as much as possible.

What if VAR now aids the referees sentiments.
Nigeria lost a couple of chances...to net the ball, that is no VAR fault at all.

But Every Tom dick and blind knows that the final decision, which still lies with the referree could be for or against and in the case of NIG-ARG, the referee will most likely award the PK for Argentina even without consulting VAR if tables were turned...

People are not criticizing VAR really, they're saying it has afforded the referree an excuse for the bias they've always shown.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by DonMekino(m): 1:51pm On Jun 29, 2018
There are hardly any handball that is intentional..... I think u should be talking of whether there's possibility of removing the hand from that position or not. How can u read intentions of the offender? Am not saying this from the perspective of Nigeria match...
And u lot that always bash ppl with different opinions should take a chill pill...there are Nigerians who believed that d ref took d right decision, there are ppl this ur write up won't change their opinions.... Some were made in d heat of d moment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by femi4: 2:02pm On Jun 29, 2018
VAR doesn't make mistake, interpreters of VAR do

2 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Christmasdon(m): 2:25pm On Jun 29, 2018
we should not cry much, lets folds our hand on our chin, and watch along as the VAR they have set will come back to hunt them. and as for ENGLAND not wanting to adopt the var, i tell this won't stop them also t0 their normal uk pools. If you know what i mean.
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by boxypane(m): 2:28pm On Jun 29, 2018
To me, VAR was wrong in not awarding that penalty against Argentina. Is it our fault that Rojo made a mistake? Wat are we saying!!!!
Ppl just looking for ways to convince us. VAR was wrong and VAR was wrong. How many yellow card foul calls against Argentina d ref didn't give or d fact DAT a bleeding player like Mascherano wasn't sent off d field to tend his injured face!
It was Nig1-(Agr1+Ref1)2

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Dennismaria(m): 2:55pm On Jun 29, 2018
Handball and foul is handball and foul. Intentional or not, it depends on the referee if he wants to award a kick or not. VAR is just they to make a review for for him
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by trainingict: 3:06pm On Jun 29, 2018
VAR is the best thing to happen in the world cup. I remembered Maradona's hand of God goal in a World cup match. Maradona escaped because of lack of VAR.

I believed there are lazy youths in Nigeria always thinking along yahoo Yahoo or short cut mentality. In the match against Argentina, a qualifying match for either of the two teams. Nigeria focused on the handball by Rojo that was not tactical nor intentional & our ATTACKER was there with him, he made attempt to score but a bad player who did not have the skill, it was after a failed attempt to score, he now remembered it was a foul ball. If he had scored that goal, he would have run, shouted & danced. Mikel & other team mates would have overshadowed him with jubilation. In the premiership, players complained immediately not after a failed attempt. Also, refree may not blow foul if the ball is still at the advantage of the player being foul.

Nigerians did not see a foul against Argentina in our box 18 which the Argentina & Maradona drew the attention of referee in the 2nd half.

If Nigerian can win Argentina, they should win tactically & scored tactical goals not missing opportunities & now looking for penalty

1 Like

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Rajosh(m): 3:08pm On Jun 29, 2018
@OP if you had said that a ball hitting a player's head before touching the hand isn't a penalty, I may have believed you. But you're saying the hand ball wasn't intentional. Must a hand ball be intentional before being penalized? if that's the case, then many penalties given arising from hand balls are erroneous because only on very few occasions have players touched the ball with their hands intentionally.

3 Likes

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by trainingict: 3:16pm On Jun 29, 2018
Rajosh:
@OP if you had said that a ball hitting a player's head before touching the hand isn't a penalty, I may have believed you. But you're saying the hand ball wasn't intentional. Must a hand ball be intentional before being penalized? if that's the case, then many penalties given arising from hand balls are erroneous because only on very few occasions have players touched the ball with their hands intentionally.

Brother, so many things go into football to improve the game at every world cup. Apart from people monitoring VAR, there is a committee as well. Human psychology is part of football.

In the match against Argentina, a qualifying match for either of the two teams. Nigeria focused on the handball by Rojo that was not tactical nor intentional & our ATTACKER was there with him, he made attempt to score but a bad player who did not have the skill, it was after a failed attempt to score, he now remembered it was a foul ball. If he had scored that goal, he would have run, shouted & danced. Mikel & other team mates would have overshadowed him with jubilation. In the premiership, players complained immediately not after a failed attempt. Also, refree may not blow foul if the ball is still at the advantage of the player being foul.

Argentina also got penalty advantage that was ruled out by the referee
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Rajosh(m): 3:23pm On Jun 29, 2018
trainingict:

Brother, so many things go into football to improve the game at every world cup. Apart from people monitoring VAR, there is a committee as well. Human psychology is part of football.

In the match against Argentina, a qualifying match for either of the two teams. Nigeria focused on the handball by Rojo that was not tactical nor intentional & our ATTACKER was there with him, he made attempt to score but a bad player who did not have the skill, it was after a failed attempt to score, he now remembered it was a foul ball. If he had scored that goal, he would have run, shouted & danced. Mikel & other team mates would have overshadowed him with jubilation. In the premiership, players complained immediately not after a failed attempt. Also, refree may not blow foul if the ball is still at the advantage of the player being foul.

Argentina also got penalty advantage that was ruled out by the referee
ok. I guess the part of the referee not giving the penalty was because we were still at advantage to score which we squandered. In that regards, I rest my case.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by SirBunky85(m): 3:50pm On Jun 29, 2018
sunnyeinstein:
I am one who hates player coning the referee to win crucial penalties or score phantom goals... VAR has made me enjoy my football once again. Now I watch, knowing that if a player tries to do something out of order in the box, VAR go catch am.
Oh! And VAR helped us to see the beauty of Davidson Sanchez's tackle on Saido Mane yesterday to win the ball while Mane simply fell like a pack of cards looking for a penalty which VAR correctly denied... best tackle of the tournament!
I was initiallt fuming and shouting red card and penalty against sanchez,but after d var replay,i come melo down
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by SirBunky85(m): 3:52pm On Jun 29, 2018
Koolking:
Brazil vs Costa Rica – Neymar dives for a penalty

Verdict: Correct decision for not giving the penalty, Wrong decision for not giving Yellow Card to Neymar

was saido mane given a yellow card after he dived vs colombia?
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by wink2015(m): 3:56pm On Jun 29, 2018
Nice share!
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 29, 2018
anigold:
am sure EPL will never use the VAR.. WE KNOW THE REASON..ALL ABOUT THE MONEY grin grin grin

Thats why no refree is from England nor Uk
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Koolking(m): 4:31pm On Jun 29, 2018
SirBunky85:
was saido mane given a yellow card after he dived vs colombia?

Sadio Mane didn't dive. There was contact with opponent but wasn't enough to award a penalty. In Neymar's, he clearly dived without any contact whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by SirBunky85(m): 4:34pm On Jun 29, 2018
Koolking:

Sadio Mane didn't dive. There was contact with opponent but wasn't enough to award a penalty. In Neymar's, he clearly dived without any contact whatsoever.
clap for urself.u chose d one dat suits u and discard the one dat doesnt suit u abi?
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Dikeocha9: 4:58pm On Jun 29, 2018
True write-up,
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Koolking(m): 5:09pm On Jun 29, 2018
SirBunky85:
clap for urself.u chose d one dat suits u and discard the one dat doesnt suit u abi?

I was not talking based on emotion.

Watch these videos and tell us your honest opinion who deserves a Yellow Card. Pretend for a second you are not Neymar's fan

1. Neymar in penalty box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYxlI40KoIE

2. Sadio Mane in Penalty box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0lYdin4vUg
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by SirBunky85(m): 5:15pm On Jun 29, 2018
Koolking:

I was talking based on emotion.

Watch these videos and tell us your honest opinion who deserves a Yellow Card. Pretend for a second you are not Neymar's fan

1. Neymar in penalty box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYxlI40KoIE

2. Sadio Mane in Penalty box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0lYdin4vUg
both of dem deserve yellow cards
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Icon79(m): 6:27pm On Jun 29, 2018
Nonsense!

A handball doesn't have to be "intentional" to be a penalty. No one can interpret intent. Hence the rule of thumb remains "if you hand was not in a natural position when you make contact with the ball, then it's a penalty". And in that case, Rojo's hand was definitely NOT in a natural position.

O pari
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by oyetpel(m): 6:28pm On Jun 29, 2018
Rojo's Handball was a penalty but was not given.
Op you are a fool.
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Dongbolahan: 7:12pm On Jun 29, 2018
horlahsunbo225:
bro you made a mistake, according to Wikipedia var can turn over the decision of a refree

The standard for overturning the referee's original decision is that there has been a "clear error", sometimes expanded to "clear and obvious error

source wikipedia
guess this can only works in a situations of mistaken identity which can be justified as a clear and obvious error . other issues can't be justified during the match until analyst can make verdicts on it
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by Rocktation(f): 7:44pm On Jun 29, 2018
I dont understand what you're going on about intentional and unintentional foul play...Would a player who conspicuously hit an opponent in his bid to reach the ball, be let off the hook completely, on the bases of how good a heart he has? Foul play is foul play abegi...
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by joshmee4real(m): 9:09pm On Jun 29, 2018
See this people o, I even thought this VAR is a computerised stuff, so its same humans that re inside there making decisions and you expect them not to take wrong decisions altogether?
Meanwhile is there any African among those VAR people? Arent they all whites?
Re: VAR Technology In Football: What Every Nigerian Should Know. Techcapon by bensowe(m): 9:33pm On Jun 29, 2018
The ref broke a FIFA rule by allowing Machirano to remain in the field with blood on his face

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Arsenal Chiefs 'set To Meet Barca Officials To Thrash Out Coutinho Loan Deal' / UEFA Women's Champions League Draws. See Who Nigerians Are Playing Against / Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.