Stats: 3,152,830 members, 7,817,428 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Evacuation Almost Done On Otedola Bridge After Fuel Tanker Explosion. Photos - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Evacuation Almost Done On Otedola Bridge After Fuel Tanker Explosion. Photos (50405 Views)

Fire On Otedola Bridge Guts Multiple Vehicles (Video) / Ikeja Under Bridge After Okada And Keke Ban (Photos) / Kids Playing On 3rd Mainland Bridge After Being Shut (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

Re: Evacuation Almost Done On Otedola Bridge After Fuel Tanker Explosion. Photos by bixton(m): 6:53pm On Jun 29, 2018
ademoladeji:

Bridges are not buildings and I can tell you the structural integrity can not be hampered by the fire incident that lasted less than 6hrs as there was no hit/impact.

In fire, concrete performs well – both as an engineered structure, and as a material in its own right. It has the highest fire resistance classification (class AI) under EN 13501-1:2007- A1:2009.

Concrete does not burn – it cannot be set on fire and it does not emit any toxic fumes when affected by fire. Concrete is proven to have a high degree of fire resistance and, in the majority of applications, can be described as virtually fireproof. This excellent performance is due, in the main, to concrete’s constituent materials (cement and aggregates) which, when chemically combined within concrete, form a material that is essentially inert and, importantly for fire safety design, has relatively poor thermal conductivity. It is this slow rate of conductivity (heat transfer) that enables concrete to act as an effective fire shield not only between adjacent spaces, but also to protect itself from fire damage.

Fire does not affect concrete per se. But in the triangle/tetrahedron of fire , we have heat.
Heat may likely have an effect on concrete/RC depending on its span and thickness. In the instance where the span/thickness of concrete is much and the absorbed heat caused by the fire when it cools in the concrete does not overlap proportionally along the span of the concrete it will result to cracks within which will become visible.

You can liken it to the local way of mining granite. In areas where igneous rocks are visible and within reach, local miners pour liquid fuel and ignite it. It's left to catch fire for some time and afterwards they go with small handy hammers and hit on the rock to cause cracks and to get the rocks into tiny sizes to be used .
Re: Evacuation Almost Done On Otedola Bridge After Fuel Tanker Explosion. Photos by ademoladeji(m): 7:03pm On Jun 29, 2018
bixton:

Fire does not affect concrete per se. But in the triangle/tetrahedron of fire , we have heat.
Heat may likely have an effect on concrete/RC depending on its span and thickness. In the instance where the span/thickness of concrete is much and the absorbed heat caused by the fire when it cools in the concrete does not overlap proportionally along the span of the concrete it will result to cracks within which will become visible.

You can liken it to the local way of mining granite. In areas where igneous rocks are visible and within reach, local miners pour liquid fuel and ignite it. It's left to catch fire for some time and afterwards they go with small handy hammers and hit on the rock to cause cracks and to get the rocks into tiny sizes to be used .

ademoladeji:

The wearing course- ASPHALT of course

Now going with your submission, with raging fire with time less than 6hrs, the concrete for me is still in order.

From experience, I was opportuned to work on a burnt section of Marine beach bride, Ijora, Lagos. Both destructive n NDT were carried out in relation to unburnt section. Result shows relatively same compressive strength of concrete both for the piers, girders n deck.

We were required to produce concrete jacketting to the existing structure as need arises for increase in both static and dynamic load. Also, additional post tension cable was installed as well as replacement of bearings carried out.

Client: Federal Ministry of Works
Contractors: Buildwell Plants and Equipment
Project start date: 2nd December, 2013
My capacity: Project Lead Engineer for Contractor

Re: Evacuation Almost Done On Otedola Bridge After Fuel Tanker Explosion. Photos by semitunde: 7:18pm On Jun 29, 2018
ademoladeji:

The wearing course- ASPHALT of course

Now going with your submission, with raging fire with time less than 6hrs, the concrete for me is still in order.

From experience, I was opportuned to work on a burnt section of Marine beach bride, Ijora, Lagos. Both destructive n NDT were carried out in relation to unburnt section. Result shows relatively same compressive strength of concrete both for the piers, girders n deck.

We were required to produce concrete jacketting to the existing structure as need arises for increase in both static and dynamic load. Also, additional post tension cable was installed as well as replacement of bearings carried out.

Client: Federal Ministry of Works
Contractors: Buildwell Plants and Equipment
Project start date: 2nd December, 2013
My capacity: Project Lead Engineer for Contractor

My brother, even this your reply is an indictment on what you initially said.

The most important point there is that tests, both destructive and non destructive pundit tests, were done BEFORE ascertaining that the road was still OK. Same way tests were carried out on the Festac bridge and a portion of the bridge deck way removed for reconstruction.

In whatever field you are in, engineering or not, never be absolute in your reaction. Leave room for uncertainties. In this case, the uncertainties are high. Don't confidently come out anywhere and assure people on the safety of what can take many lives at once, without adequate checks to be sure you're on point.

That's why I asked (even though I knew you were wrong) how you were so sure without any tests being carried out.

Now to the example you used. Structures and their reaction to the elements will always be different. This can be due to many factors and these factors will determine how they will fare after due tests are carried out.:

1. Age of the structure. The older the structure, the more its susceptible to degrading.

2. The design of the structure. ( some can have fire retardant incorporated in the concrete, some can have designed concrete mix to take care of fire, some can have more than usual concrete cover, remember steel is weak under fire and its what needs protection most importantly).

3. Wear and tear /use of the structure. If some part of the structure is already damaged and especially exposes the reinforcement, the structure will be more susceptible to fire damage in those areas. In fact the duration and intensity of the fire, and the type of fire (chemical, fuel etc) can also affect how the structure will fare.

I can go on but I'm not paid for this grin

All in all, be more circumspect in your reactions in future. smiley

Re: Evacuation Almost Done On Otedola Bridge After Fuel Tanker Explosion. Photos by CaptainKodak(m): 7:35pm On Jun 29, 2018
dingbang:
Buhari please also evacuate petrol tankers from roads during day time. Thank you.

What I've been clamouring all these while. It'll go a long way to reducing tanker and fire accidents. Let's leave the roads for them ALONE at nights and go hibernate during daytimes.
Re: Evacuation Almost Done On Otedola Bridge After Fuel Tanker Explosion. Photos by suremanpatriot: 11:08pm On Jun 29, 2018
...why are these tanker drivers so defiant. DON'T MOVE FUEL FILL TANKER AT SUN TIME,THEY WON'T HEAR... undecided

FRSC ,YOU PPL WATCH LOADED TANKERS MOVING BY DAY AGAINST PROHIBITED TIME.

WHY CANT FRSC GO AND STATION THEMSELVES AT LOADING DEPOT TO STOP THIS BREACH AND WRECKLESS DESTRUCTION.GOD FORBID BAD THINGS LIKE THIS FOR NAIJA O! NA WAOOO!
Re: Evacuation Almost Done On Otedola Bridge After Fuel Tanker Explosion. Photos by 900warriorz: 12:07am On Jun 30, 2018
Organism000:

So God is dead ?
and I believe you're matured man sad just listen to yourself.
Re: Evacuation Almost Done On Otedola Bridge After Fuel Tanker Explosion. Photos by Larrykaysail(m): 1:43am On Jun 30, 2018
SalamRushdie:

I was talking of LASEMA and not your local govt sir ..LASEMA is the best run govt parastatal in Nigeria and they do world class job with world class equipment obtainable in any part of the world
sorry sir i don't have local govt, thanks anyway you have a point.
Re: Evacuation Almost Done On Otedola Bridge After Fuel Tanker Explosion. Photos by chimpad: 5:36am On Jan 28, 2023
Rip to the dead. Evacuation scene really looks Professional and world class. Thank you LASG for putting this in place. We hope all other states in the country do the same.

NB: Don't quote me with the BAT or God bless Asiwaju bullcrap! I'm Obidient to the bone just appreciating the good work of a functioning govt.

Vadoma: The Ostrich People Of Zimbabwe Who Have Just Two Toes / Lekki Toll Hike Causes Lock-Down On Lagos Island (Photos) / Ore-Interchange Flyover Cracks: Was Built By Akeredolu & Commissioned By Buhari