Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. (6321 Views)

Kogi Poll: Resign Now, PDP Tells AGF, INEC Chair / New INEC Chairman: Buhari Is A Sectional Leader, Says Fayose / Prof Mohamood Yusuf: Top 10 Things You Need To Know About The New INEC Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by sley4life(m): 1:59pm On Jun 09, 2010
Very good Nomination. He is a non partisan
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 09, 2010
A lot of people don't seem to get it. It is not a question of being a Northern or not. It is all about putting the right people in right positions. Nlanders.
We kicked against Iwu's administration, despite being a Southern. we re in support of support of Jega, cos we all know he fits d bill.
So pls spare us tribal talk, there is no basis for comparing Yardua's appointments with that of Jonathan.
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by farouqb(m): 2:14pm On Jun 09, 2010
Jega's nomination as INEC chairman is 50% to having a credible leader in the 2011 polls the other 50% is left for

the political parties to allow credible candidates to emanate as their flag bearers and the govt to allow inec to

operate independently.

Jega is the right man for the job.
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jun 09, 2010
Xavier.:

A lot of people don't seem to get it. It is not a question of being a Northern or not. It is all about putting the right people in right positions. Nlanders.
We kicked against Iwu's administration, despite being a Southern. we re in support of support of Jega, cos we all know he fits d bill.
So pls spare us tribal talk, there is no basis for comparing Yardua's appointments with that of Jonathan.

Don't mind Jarus, it simply shows you that even the most brilliant amongst us can be sentimental at times.

Jonathan's Nominations so far is no where comparable to that of Yar'adua.

If Jega was an Ijaw man who went to perhaps the same University as Jonathan and probably read geology and never had any experience whatsoever of running anything then it would have also been fair to accuse Jonathan of Ijawnization of Nigeria. (this behaviour is usually Yar'adua's playbook and it got so bad that even El-Rufai [himself a Northerner] has admitted).

But Jega is a Professor of Political Science (most importantly); has no history of private relationship with Jonathan (at least to the extent we know), a current University Vice Chancellor and thus will have experience of running people-oriented
systems and designing them, and as a former ASUU chairman he is by default a former civil society leader and thus should have an appreciation of Nigeria's democratic struggles in which he Jega has been a kingpin of those struggles.

Jega has all the tools at his disposal to succeed except he Jega chooses to be your cynical Nigerian by collecting money or playing to sentiments or nepotism; I have every reason to think he can do his best if he wants to. I also think Nigerians in general will also have to rise to the occassion because it is not all about one man.
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by lovemoneyn: 7:06pm On Jun 09, 2010
LOVE MONEY PRODUCTION

Excuse me Sugar Daddys and Sugar Mummys.
Do you need Young Guys & Babes, Sweet 16 or Energetic young lovers within your state/location in Nigeria.
Then contact us at lovemoneyNigeria@yahoo.com and we shall get u hooked up immediately.

To Sign up:
Send your State/Location, Age,Sex and Phone number(optional) to lovemoneyNigeria@yahoo.com and we shall get back to you immediately.

Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by CarlosVent(m): 9:00pm On Jun 09, 2010
hope he will return goodluck jonathan to d office cos dats what we want
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by DisGuy: 10:11pm On Jun 09, 2010
CarlosVent:

hope he will return goodluck jonathan to d office cos dats what we want

you and who?
well i guess as long as a southern is elected it doesn't matter
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by bibiking1(m): 11:26pm On Jun 09, 2010
i shall observe first!
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by Miketomi: 7:43am On Jun 10, 2010
Read the piece below, if this is true then we still have a long way to go

We at Intersociety are finally vindicated over recent fears expressed by our Organization that every indication pointed to the fact that President Goodluck Jonathan is searching for an amenable person, a willing tool for that matter, as the new INEC boss. The announcement and confirmation of Prof. Attahiru Jega, a well-known consultant to Prof. Iwu’s INEC, and his close ally, did not come to us as a surprise. When Prof. Jega was ASUU President, Prof. Iwu was his deputy, and when Prof. Iwu became INEC boss, he reportedly made Jega an INEC consultant, which he reportedly remained till date.,  ,

Source; http://www.saharareporters.com/reports/exclusive/6239-prof-attahiru-jegas-appointment-as-inec-boss-another-prof-maurice-iwu-has-emerged-.html
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by nex(m): 8:13am On Jun 10, 2010
This is good news. These are the type of men that will die for our votes. I don't know Professor Jega himself, but I knew hie som Muhammadu Jega back in Secondary School, and even as a teenager, the boy was too strict. I can only imagine his father.
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by Hadone(m): 10:08am On Jun 10, 2010
[size=18pt]Congrats to Jega and the country as well. I hope he will retain his integrity and serve Nigeria well.[/size]
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by Homonide: 1:27pm On Jun 10, 2010
Remii:

Just like Sam Egwu, who was ASUU president in the East when Jega was national President we all know what he did as a minister of education under Yar Adua, but to some extent the task of INEC chairman should more less political, he should just be an impartial umpire simple.

Well said. I guess the least we can do this time round is to hope that this man is the real deal, the "incorruptible activist". The problem is that power has a way of corrupting the minds of public office holders in Nigeria. Let's hope Prof Jega would succeed where other "radicals" failed.
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by Moves: 2:14pm On Jun 10, 2010
mikeansy:

Don't mind Jarus, it simply shows you that even the most brilliant amongst us can be sentimental at times.

Jonathan's Nominations so far is no where comparable to that of Yar'adua.

If Jega was an Ijaw man who went to perhaps the same University as Jonathan and probably read geology and never had any experience whatsoever of running anything then it would have also been fair to accuse Jonathan of Ijawnization of Nigeria. (this behaviour is usually Yar'adua's playbook and it got so bad that even El-Rufai [himself a Northerner] has admitted).

But Jega is a Professor of Political Science (most importantly); has no history of private relationship with Jonathan (at least to the extent we know), a current University Vice Chancellor and thus will have experience of running people-oriented
systems and designing them, and as a former ASUU chairman he is by default a former civil society leader and thus should have an appreciation of Nigeria's democratic struggles in which he Jega has been a kingpin of those struggles.

Jega has all the tools at his disposal to succeed except he Jega chooses to be your cynical Nigerian by collecting money or playing to sentiments or nepotism; I have every reason to think he can do his best if he wants to. I also think Nigerians in general will also have to rise to the occassion because it is not all about one man.
Good Analysis
To those seeing Jega role or relationship to Iwu as an issue; may I remind you that Fashola was Tinubu's COS; I believe Jega's selection is faultless, the guy was the on the Uwais Panel whose recommendation most civil society are clamouring for; and the full implementation of its recommendation was voted down by the National Assembly, short of appointing Uwais ~who was discounted due to his age ~ I think Jega is the best option,
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by porka: 8:57pm On Jun 10, 2010
Most Nigerians dont want to address issues, just personalities. Now before you begin to change your mind about Jega after these eulogies, consider these;

a) Voter registration - how do you convince villages, towns, local governments and states not to cook up figures in "my place is more populous than yours" mentality?

b) What do you do with the excess votes of those who might not come to vote as a result of one thing or another - sickness, out of station commitment, or apathy?

c) How do you get ballot materials to Manbilla Plateau from Yola - a journey of 8 hours - before ballot closes without jeopardizing the integrity of the papers? Votes open 8am and close 4pm.

d) How do you keep away guns, dangerous weapons, and pliable party agents from election venues?

e) How do you tell an unprepared politician that he cannot just win election where he has not done much ground work?

f) How do you convince an average politician that he cant win every time he contests?

Attahiru Jega's nomination may not solve most of these problems. It's deeper than we are willing to admit.
Re: Attahiru Jega, New Inec Chair. by RodoroDordeda(m): 8:01pm On Nov 17, 2011
ugg bailey button
This excellent technology allows persons in order to get web access off anywhere while in usually the state. Doing it is really i would say the most reliable prestation around in addition to the this method is ordinarily also fast so affordable. These are already all important things because of Pennsylvania residents. uggs on sale
All over short, this particular person over a newly purchased network is usually sending photos and also emails faster, getting downloads without a very hitch, watching things live in addition to having a definite lot more fun. To receive specific person who likes with socialize, this approach network must be developed relating to you. http://www.uggbaileybuttonface.com
Ultimately, those social but educational welfare of this students at the particular school was some sort of major priority, so so it typically is imperative of the fact that steps be taken to finally ensure that will your current future leaders towards tomorrow have all opportunities to finally succeed possible.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Efcc Discovers World's Costliest Toilets / Kano Destroys 42,000 Bottles Of Alcoholic Drinks / FG Needs N921.4bn To Complete 195 Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.