Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,171 members, 7,811,399 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation (19516 Views)

Amend Constitution, Reform Judiciary, INEC — Nigerians / Aliyu: Why Nigeria Must Amend Constitution To Deal With Political Prostitution / Lawal Yahaya-Gumau: We Will Amend Constitution To Allow Buhari Be Life President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by ChristineC: 9:02pm On Jul 03, 2018
Good. We'll get it right gradually.
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by MahatmaGhandi: 9:04pm On Jul 03, 2018
worksmart:
So Rogue governors like Gov Wicked of Rivers state will now control their police as well?

Am I the only one seeing this as a plot for corrupt governors to use police machinery to influence elections in 2019?

What of states owing workers salaries? How can they be trusted to adequately fund the police?

Are you saying Buhari deserves to control police more than Wike.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by yinnyme(m): 9:05pm On Jul 03, 2018
It's a good move but imagine what will happen when state police are being owed 6 months salaries.

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Felixv: 9:07pm On Jul 03, 2018
so who would fund these state and local police forces ---he who plays the piper dictates the tune..is this country matured enough to have an independent state police force. I see this as a populist agenda from the senate ---the crooks are looking for favor.

in spite of the short comings of the current set-up it's still better than a state force that could inadvertently be turned into a local militant group.

2 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by ubox: 9:10pm On Jul 03, 2018
Next move should be the law to let state government distribute and transmit electricity,
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by bakaredc: 9:11pm On Jul 03, 2018
H
despi64:
Will that old man assent to it? This review go take months if not years to arrive at a conclusion

I think the President himself innitiated that process, recall he met with Saraki and Dogara few days after the Plateau killings and the statement Dogara made after on the outcome of the meeting was about restructuring the security apparatus of the country..

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Bluffly: 9:19pm On Jul 03, 2018
worksmart:
So Rogue governors like Gov Wicked of Rivers state will now control their police as well?

Am I the only one seeing this as a plot for corrupt governors to use police machinery to influence elections in 2019?

What of states owing workers salaries? How can they be trusted to adequately fund the police?
For the funding, once state police is established, NPF workforce will reduce thereby reducing the allocation to NPF, this will create more savings for distribution, while hoping our block head governors create revenues

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by menix(m): 9:20pm On Jul 03, 2018
Dance While it Last but when The Demerits of State police starts surfacing don't cry..

Note: religion would Play a major role in setting Up state police in Some States nd I am sure we both know Rights Would be Trampled on..

Every thing with merit has its demerits..

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by weyreypey: 9:22pm On Jul 03, 2018
menix:
Dance While it Last but when The Demerits of State police starts surfacing don't cry..

Note: religion would Play a major role in setting Up state police in Some States nd I am sure we both know Rights Would be Trampled on..

Every thing with merit has its demerits..
Shut up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by menix(m): 9:25pm On Jul 03, 2018
weyreypey:

Shut up

Go home, look ur father In the eyes nd Tell Him same..

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by weyreypey: 9:26pm On Jul 03, 2018
menix:

Go home, look ur father In the eyes nd Tell Him same..
Shut up I say!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by docadams: 9:28pm On Jul 03, 2018
Bluffly:
For the funding, once state police is established, NPF workforce will reduce thereby reducing the allocation to NPF, this will create more savings for distribution, while hoping our block head governors create revenues

Good to have state police but there are bound to be many challenges. On funding your suggestion will not work. Funding must be taken from the hands of state govts. That means making police funding a first line charge as is done for the judges. In that way, police won't be owed salaries or retirement benefits. Additionally, state CP should become an elective office, same for area commanders and DCOs.restructuring must be total.

3 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by menix(m): 9:28pm On Jul 03, 2018
weyreypey:

Shut up I say!

Certainly, u re a teen..
Well, run Along with ur Friends..

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by weyreypey: 9:29pm On Jul 03, 2018
menix:

Certainly, u re a teen..
Well, run Along with ur Friends..
Kip quayet!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by prince13: 9:34pm On Jul 03, 2018
This is long overdue, I pray and hope that they have the courage to do it without fear or whatever from the presidency.

WisdomFlakes:
http://punchng.com/senate-to-amend-constitution-to-allow-for-state-community-police/

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Charly68: 9:37pm On Jul 03, 2018
I think you people were playing politics with it before now..
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Ojiofor: 9:40pm On Jul 03, 2018
worksmart:

Advantages of state police supersedes any disadvantages.
It will kill off Fulani herdsmen terrorism for example.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by BabaRamota1980: 9:51pm On Jul 03, 2018
weyreypey:

Thank God for the errant IGP

If this State Police thingy pass through we should applaud "transmission" for involuntarily becoming a "change agent" and making Dino and Saraki feel our pain on the street.

4 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by abu12: 9:53pm On Jul 03, 2018
state police is a prelude to the disintegration of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by figment232(m): 9:55pm On Jul 03, 2018
Amarabae:
I pity rivers state if this law comes into place
wot about Kaduna and imo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by deboysben(m): 10:02pm On Jul 03, 2018
These senates are toothless bulldog. If buhari no endorse am it can't see light of the day

Abeg hold it

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by tosinet(m): 10:05pm On Jul 03, 2018
Good. But the creation of additional police systems should be well researched and thought out. Clear jurisdictions and hierarchies should be established to avoid unnecessary frictions. Checks and counter checks should be in place to curb corruption, vices and excesses.

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by flexyrule(m): 10:07pm On Jul 03, 2018
Amarabae:
98% of Rivers State Police would be cultists, who would be at the service of their paymaster.

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by tosinet(m): 10:12pm On Jul 03, 2018
worksmart:

Checks should be in place to curb abuse and excesses. Also the federal police will have overall outlined authority where there are established cases of power abuse and corruption, but overall state and local govt and community policing will go a long way in stopping most crimes in its track.

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by maxzzo1(m): 10:15pm On Jul 03, 2018
Amarabae:
Pity your family
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by bigpicture001: 10:16pm On Jul 03, 2018
sassysure:
The best news that has ever come out of Nigeria since 1960.
Gradually power will leave the centre and go back to the people.

With state police comes it's advantages and disadvantages but it will spiral to lots of amendment in federal and state constitutions while new ones will be created.

We are going to resource control era in no distance time if this works.
...those that travel outside their states knows better than others on d implications..its not a gud tin at all for very ethnicised Nigeria.
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by obadee4you(m): 10:17pm On Jul 03, 2018
docadams:

Good to have state police but there are bound to be many challenges. On funding your suggestion will not work. Funding must be taken from the hands of state govts. That means making police funding a first line charge as is done for the judges. In that way, police won't be owed salaries or retirement benefits. Additionally, state CP should become an elective office, same for area commanders and DCOs.restructuring must be total.
docadams:

docadams:

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by figment232(m): 10:29pm On Jul 03, 2018
deboysben:
These senates are toothless bulldog. If buhari no endorse am it can't see light of the day

Abeg hold it
if ur Bubu does not sign he wud be vetoed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by toniok: 10:43pm On Jul 03, 2018
This bill will affect the Igbos negatively. They are more outside their states. The locals will use the state police against them and they may not have anybody to complain to. Abroad where this state police work, the people see themselves as one. They speak same language, have common culture and way of life. In Nigeria and many African countries, we see ourselves as different - different languages, culture, religion etc. I will rather advise that more personnel be employed into the police force and policemen and officers be as much as possible posted to their state of origin.

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by BabaRamota1980: 10:45pm On Jul 03, 2018
prince13:
This is long overdue, I pray and hope that they have the courage to do it without fear or whatever from the presidency.

I hope "transmission" keep on their @$$, in fact he should pick one other member of the Saraki-Melaye gang up and put in Alagbon for a week.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by HAH: 10:49pm On Jul 03, 2018
States like kano will turn their religious police called hisbah to state police,

If state can't handle ordinary state electoral commission without interference how much of police.

This are my fears about state police if not it looks fantastic

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by BabaRamota1980: 10:50pm On Jul 03, 2018
toniok:
This bill will affect the Igbos negatively. They are more outside their states. The locals will use the state police against them and they may not have anybody to complain to. Abroad where this state police work, the people see themselves as one. They speak same language, have common culture and way of life. In Nigeria and many African countries, we see ourselves as different - different languages, culture, religion etc. I will rather advise that more personnel be employed into the police force and policemen and officers be as much as possible posted to their state of origin.

There is clash between others need on their home turf and Igbos need as a visitor on that home turf.

This is where Igbo should dramatize negotiation skills and diplomacy, instead of offending others with disparaging labels and disrespect. Igbo is at mercy of others here and must succumb to reality of civic contracts in a functioning orderly society.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Money Laundering: CCB Invites Festus Keyamo Over Petition Against Atiku / Tribunal Judgements: Upset In LP Over Massive Sack Of Lawmakers / Leadership Crisis Brews In Ondo PDP Over Mimiko’s Defection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.