Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation (19515 Views)

Amend Constitution, Reform Judiciary, INEC — Nigerians / Aliyu: Why Nigeria Must Amend Constitution To Deal With Political Prostitution / Lawal Yahaya-Gumau: We Will Amend Constitution To Allow Buhari Be Life President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Coolbreeze2000: 7:34am On Jul 04, 2018
I was watching AIT and a man said: "If the government doesn't restructure Nigeria, Nigeria will restructure itself".

I am beginning to believe that notion.

2 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Deadlytruth(m): 7:41am On Jul 04, 2018
blimeyVic:

The senate should critically examine the risks associated with establishing these forces.

Certainly, settling for a local security force that is knowledgeable about the terrain of the surrounding and the culture of the people would be an added advantage. It would further create an opportunity for matching the number of security personnels required to the average population of people settled in the locality to be covered.

However, we should also evaluate the impact of this possible development on our country as a whole. We are a people of many differences. With the separatist movement in the south and atrocious killings in the north, we don't need drivers that would further break us apart, rather we need to focus on things that would help us stick closer - united in our awesome diversity.

Though we bow to the pressure of economic/political/what-have-you restructuring, the structure for security in Nigeria should maintained and controlled only by the FG.

The core values held by the citizenry serve as indicators that prove that we aren't yet ready for a decentralised security structure.

#God bless my country.
# Soldier come, Soldier go, Barrack remain.
# Education shines the light.
A regionalized army is what makes separatist movements result oriented.

When Ojukwu declared secession he did not hope to rely on the Eastern Region's police to defend it but the Eastern wing of the Nigerian Army which had assumed a Regional status.
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by deboysben(m): 7:42am On Jul 04, 2018
figment232:
if ur Bubu does not sign he wud be vetoed
story... Although am not a Bubu fan. Check it out how many times have they vetoed buhari with the ones he refused to sign.

Fact is these Senates are toothless bulldog
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Deadlytruth(m): 7:46am On Jul 04, 2018
gabbasin:
I hope this issue of state police is well thought out, our politicians are not matured enough for each state governors to be put in command of their various states' police, imagine a state official who commits a crime with the backing of the governor and the federal police is on his trail then the the state police under the command of the governor is used to shield him from arrest. and during election governors can use them to intimidate opponents.

Is this consideration more important than the need to put an end to this daily massacre of innocents by aliens? Elections happen seasonally, but these killings are happening everyday.
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Deadlytruth(m): 8:01am On Jul 04, 2018
khadaffi:

The problem you highlighted is what many are not seeing. We are about to move from frying pan to fire. Let's take the state NEC for example, how many of them have been able to conduct elections since inception and those that conducted the elections, were they free and fair? Today most people are agitating that LGA elections are returned back to federal because states are not credible. A situation where more than half of the states in Nigeria cannot comfortably pay their workers. We arr talking of something like this. Before we changed to federal police what were the problems we encountered with regional police. An example is that during election, opposition were arrested on flimsy or no reason at all. Can we guarantee that something of this nature will cease? Saraki and his mates have been trying but until I see the complete bill this might just be more problems

Unfortunately, the bigger problem you are not seeing is the capacity of this currently ongoing bloodshed in the Middle Belt to disintegrate Nigeria which you so love. How will elections be held at all under perpetual massacres let alone being rated credible or otherwise on account of which kind of police supervised it?

So now, are these issues of SIEC's failure which comes to the fore just once in four years more important than the need to stem the current bloodletting which occurs daily? And how disciplined has the FG itself been in its use of the federal police? Was it not this same centralized police that was used to rig presidential and guber elections by Obasanjo in pursuit of his do or die elections?

1 Like

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by ivanG07(m): 8:11am On Jul 04, 2018
Amarabae:
I pity rivers state if this law comes into place
yes because people like you killers and herdsmen sympatizer will be flush out and river will wash you away,you idiot.
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by menix(m): 8:24am On Jul 04, 2018
Deadlytruth:

As for the bolded, it will likely be the case only in Core Northern States. That will signal the need for Southerners resident in the Core North to return home and contribute to the development of their own states thus demographic restructuring.

I Don't Oppose southerners returning But let me quickly Ask, the one's already in their state, how re they faring with live Hope u know they re coming back to start all over coupled with the uselessness of state Governors we have..

My people re basically traders, if they all return to open Shops who buys From who..
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by toye440: 8:31am On Jul 04, 2018
immagine wre we throway our sense abeg. State wey no fit pay common teachers wan get then own police, what r d chances dat state governors like rochas and wike wont use this tugs to harass political oppositions.
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by crispus09(m): 10:03am On Jul 04, 2018
after the bill they should just sign peace cops to function in that manner
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by oomar(m): 11:32am On Jul 04, 2018
hahaha a minimun wages is giving them wahala how they go pay state police talkles of money to purchase aparatus
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Deadlytruth(m): 5:52pm On Jul 04, 2018
menix:

I Don't Oppose southerners returning But let me quickly Ask, the one's already in their state, how re they faring with live Hope u know they re coming back to start all over coupled with the uselessness of state Governors we have..

My people re basically traders, if they all return to open Shops who buys From who..

The bolded is just one of the Nigerian stereotypes. In actual fact every tribe has majority of their men and women involved in retail trading. Tell me which single tribe is renowned for majority of its natives having white collar jobs or employed in the extractive industry?

The only difference is that all other tribes' retail traders are based at home unlike those of Igbo extraction.

2 Likes

Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by arcnomec(m): 6:17pm On Jul 04, 2018
Amarabae:
I pity rivers state if this law comes into place

Pity your state first,Charity they say begins at home.
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by khadaffi(m): 9:29pm On Jul 04, 2018
Deadlytruth:

Unfortunately, the bigger problem you are not seeing is the capacity of this currently ongoing bloodshed in the Middle Belt to 77 disintegrate Nigeria which you so love. How will elections be held at all under perpetual massacres let alone being rated credible or otherwise on account of which kind of police supervised it?

So now, are these issues of SIEC's failure which comes to the fore just once in four years more important than the need to stem the current bloodletting which occurs daily? And how disciplined has the FG itself been in its use of the federal police? Was it not this same centralized police that was used to rig presidential and guber elections by Obasanjo in pursuit of his do or die elections?

@ the bolded. You well so. Why do most of you kids think people against the state police support one Nigeria. IPOB and their warped mind will not cease to amaze me. If you have travelled to most states in Nigeria, tell me one state where the ordinary citizens in the street support one Nigeria. North or south. Such things only exist in the internet. I'm talking about how a useless policy might endanger my life, you are talking of one Nigeria. Look at the SARS for example. How are you enjoying them? State govts don't have money to pay staffs whether security or not. The reality is that when you give a man a gun and consistently make him sad, he will one day vent his anger on you and the disaster you are seeing now will be like child's play compare to what you will see.

Although I'm still waiting to read the full bill cause I trust the senate would have also seen the problems am talking about and there should be steps to handle such crisis if it emerges
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Deadlytruth(m): 10:44am On Jul 05, 2018
khadaffi:

@ the bolded. You well so. Why do most of you kids think people against the state police support one Nigeria. IPOB and their warped mind will not cease to amaze me. If you have travelled to most states in Nigeria, tell me one state where the ordinary citizens in the street support one Nigeria. North or south. Such things only exist in the internet. I'm talking about how a useless policy might endanger my life, you are talking of one Nigeria. Look at the SARS for example. How are you enjoying them? State govts don't have money to pay staffs whether security or not. The reality is that when you give a man a gun and consistently make him sad, he will one day vent his anger on you and the disaster you are seeing now will be like child's play compare to what you will see

Although I'm still waiting to read the full bill cause I trust the senate would have also seen the problems am talking about and there should be steps to handle such crisis if it emerges

You are obviously demented enough to assume that whoever is against "one-Nigeria" in its present fraudulent and lopsided form must be an IPOBian. Before you make conclusions a NL member's ethnic origin or ideological leanings common sense dictates that you first read through some of his posts on other topics. But you obviously lack this common sense.

On the first bolded: I guess this menace of Fulani Herdsmen doesn't endanger your life, right? You must be a Fulani man yourself therefore.
Isn't it silly that you fear the danger of a system we started with at independence and got good results but are okay with an opposite system which has evidently contributed to the present insecurity and its sustenance?

For the second bolded: Are SARS not still an arm of the current centralized police? What you fail to realize is that police brutality and extrajudicial murders by them is encouraged by the fact that policemen operate in areas where they have no family or cultural ties to the natives courtesy of the centralized system. A SARS police from the South posted to the North could easily kill an innocent Northerner because deep down in him he views a Northerner as an alien to whom he really doesn't owe any moral duty obligation. Can a SARS officer operating in his hometown or LGA of origin be so brutal in his duties knowing fully well that he will never be transferred away from there?

On the third bolded; your likes complain that the security votes governors collect are too humongous for them not to be allowed to spend without giving account yet you assume states have not enough funds to run their own security outfits. How contradictory!
With N4b security vote available to every governor judiciously and transparently spent on state police, do you think any of them will be hungry enough to become trigger happy? Where do you place the fact that those recruited will be graduates and will undergo a lot of tests on emotions handling rather than through the one-Nigeria quota system and who-you-know means?
Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result amounts to insanity.
Re: State, Community Police: Senate To Amend Constitution To Allow Its Creation by Thazard(m): 1:28pm On Jan 24, 2020
hisgrace090:
No number of security is too much. Nigeria need state police but some don't need it so that their headers can kill without challenge.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tribunal Judgements: Upset In LP Over Massive Sack Of Lawmakers / Lagos-ibadan Expressway Ready In 24 Months –fashola / Money Laundering: CCB Invites Festus Keyamo Over Petition Against Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.