Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,445 members, 7,819,646 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Is Igbo Language A Dying Language? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Igbo Language A Dying Language? (3614 Views)

What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire / Why Is Igbo Language Going Extinct? / Europeans And Asians Learning Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Igbo Language A Dying Language? by MorningStar233: 9:53pm On Aug 12, 2018
CryptoClub2018:

Lol, why did u put sha there grin
Do u mind dropping your whatsapp number? You can erase it as soon as I get it

Re: Is Igbo Language A Dying Language? by CryptoClub2018: 9:54pm On Aug 12, 2018
MorningStar233:

Lol.....pm me pls..that will be better

Ok, I will follow you then you follow back then I can pm u
Re: Is Igbo Language A Dying Language? by MorningStar233: 9:57pm On Aug 12, 2018
CryptoClub2018:

Ok, I will follow you then you follow back then I can pm u

I have done that

1 Like

Re: Is Igbo Language A Dying Language? by PweetyMj(f): 4:29pm On Aug 17, 2018
LadySarah:
I speak Igbo and English to my kids and so they are able to speak both.My one plus Yr old son used to say "take" but nowadays he says "eenwee(trying to say were) .Even when we travel to the East for hols ,I insist Igbo should be spoken to them.
My husband hated it at first even my bil warned me to stop speaking Igbo to them saying it will confuse them.but now dh is proud when he hears how they easily change for m Igbo to English and vice versa.I'm still waiting for him to teach them his dialect(me don't even understand It too)

I tell them abt their identity regularly and I'm not sorry abt it at all.
Nwanne dalu, jisi Ike. I bu ezigbo nwafor

2 Likes

Re: Is Igbo Language A Dying Language? by ItzBIM(m): 6:26pm On Aug 19, 2018
Read somewhere Igbo language will be extinct in the next 100 years. The evidence are there, parents only speak English to their kids I also noticed recently especially celebrities no one is naming their kid African names anymore.
Re: Is Igbo Language A Dying Language? by WhoRUDeceiving: 8:42pm On Aug 19, 2018
When you speak Yoruba to a Yoruba speaker and make mistake, Yoruba are happy you tried. Same with someone speaking Spanish to a native Spanish speaker.

Igbo on the other hand are quick to mock you and even criticize. How then can others want to learn it...
Re: Is Igbo Language A Dying Language? by Fatherofdragons: 12:59pm On Aug 20, 2018
WhoRUDeceiving:
When you speak Yoruba to a Yoruba speaker and make mistake, Yoruba are happy you tried. Same with someone speaking Spanish to a native Spanish speaker.

Igbo on the other hand are quick to mock you and even criticize. How then can others want to learn it...

yes it's quite annoying but u must understand that igbo is a tonal language, and one word can mean more than one thing eg akwa(clothe), akwa (egg), akwa (cry).

it all depends on the tones, and if gotten wrongly could be pretty funny and quite discouraging to the learner.

but that is not enough excuse not to learn tho, I myself never cared.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Finding Nigerian Roots / Nigeria Has Over 500 Languages / The Nairaland Culture Carnival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.