Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

Thermofluid/power Plants Vs Industrial/production Engineering. Advice Needed. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Thermofluid/power Plants Vs Industrial/production Engineering. Advice Needed. (587 Views)

About Industrial Production Engineering / Please I Need Advise On A Course(mechanical/production Engineering) / Just Got Admitted To Study Production Engineering,what Are The Job Opportunites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thermofluid/power Plants Vs Industrial/production Engineering. Advice Needed. by CED1: 5:47pm On Jul 04, 2018
Good day Experience Machines.

I am a graduate mechanical Engineer with an HND Mech Engine (Automotive) and PGD mech Engine. Currently i plan to do a masters degree but i m not too certain of the proper field to gain mastery. I have a foundation and good experience in automotive/power plants. No Manufacturing/production experience. However, i am having the feeling that Production/industrial has a much wider scope compared to power plants. I intend running a PhD in any of these fields. I need a good advice to help make a proper decision.

Please provide reasons for advising a field.

Thank you
Re: Thermofluid/power Plants Vs Industrial/production Engineering. Advice Needed. by CED1: 9:09am On Jul 06, 2018
I hope to get advise on this from this forum.
Re: Thermofluid/power Plants Vs Industrial/production Engineering. Advice Needed. by lastmessenger: 12:15pm On Jul 06, 2018
There are two factors for you consider when choosing areas of specialization in your masters program.
1. You need to determine your areas of strength
2. You need to determine your research interest.
By areas of strength,you need to find courses in your HND and PGD that you really love and easily excel in.for example when I registered for my masters degree in mechanical engineering, I decided to go for materials technology and the simple reason was because,thermodynamics was kind of difficult for me in my undergraduate days meanwhile courses like materials science, mechanics of materials etc was more like a walkover. My advice is this if you love courses like thermodynamics,heat and mass transfer,fluid mechanics etc then you can go for thermofluid as your masters option.
Again remember that masters program goes beyond class work. You are going to be carrying out a research work. It is always advisable to be aware of your research interest before embarking on a master degree program. Do not just jumb into the band wagon as most people do. If your research interest has relationship with thermodynamics,fluid mechanics etc then you can choose thermofluid as your option.
Lastly no matter the option you choose, you success will depend largely on the quality of research work you carry out. Your research can open up tremendous opportunities for you. This is the much I can say based on my little experience as a postgraduate student.I wish you good luck as you enter the world of research.

1 Like

Re: Thermofluid/power Plants Vs Industrial/production Engineering. Advice Needed. by CED1: 2:17pm On Jul 06, 2018
lastmessenger:
There are two factors for you consider when choosing areas of specialization in your masters program.
1. You need to determine your areas of strength
2. You need to determine your research interest.
By areas of strength,you need to find courses in your HND and PGD that you really love and easily excel in.for example when I registered for my masters degree in mechanical engineering, I decided to go for materials technology and the simple reason was because,thermodynamics was kind of difficult for me in my undergraduate days meanwhile courses like materials science, mechanics of materials etc was more like a walkover. My advice is this if you love courses like thermodynamics,heat and mass transfer,fluid mechanics etc then you can go for thermofluid as your masters option.
Again remember that masters program goes beyond class work. You are going to be carrying out a research work. It is always advisable to be aware of your research interest before embarking on a master degree program. Do not just jumb into the band wagon as most people do. If your research interest has relationship with thermodynamics,fluid mechanics etc then you can choose thermofluid as your option.
Lastly no matter the option you choose, you success will depend largely on the quality of research work you carry out. Your research can open up tremendous opportunities for you. This is the much I can say based on my little experience as a postgraduate student.I wish you good luck as you enter the world of research.

Thank you last messenger.
I have good analytical and theoretical skills in both fields. I v always had a passion for engines. One of my motivation for these course. however, recently i am considering a change of interest. I have a feeling that production is wider in scope. I NEED TO PROVE THIS FACT. again as said early, i ll be a novice in production if i eventually settle for this

(1) (Reply)

Does A Students CGPA Reveals His/her Intelligence? / How To Disable Trend Micro Antivirus On My System? / Unilorin Screening Results, 2018/2019 Out!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.