Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,610 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu (14227 Views)

Female Soldier 'Who Is Too Pretty' For The Work She Does Speaks (Video) / NSCDC Queries Staff Over Assault Of Journalists At NIMC Office In Abuja / Lawyer Who Posed With Buhari's Daughter In Hijab During Bar Programe Speaks.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by Ebeano49(m): 1:55pm On Jul 06, 2018
So this kpengele guy came to your office, locked you up and all your staff said and did nothing??

Oga lawyer, continue lying. We are listening...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by Didcot: 1:55pm On Jul 06, 2018
The damage is done Mr Olawore.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by Nezero(m): 1:57pm On Jul 06, 2018
For the fact that the video was released it shows that members of staff are sympathetic with Karimu and side with him.

They probably feel Karimu was not fairly treated

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by enemachris(m): 2:00pm On Jul 06, 2018
look at his face Like Femi Adesina grin , He called those armed robbers called SARS on the poor fellow. He didn't want to pay him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 06, 2018
Oluyomi, you lied.

That boy deserved his cash, even if you gave him a check and had money in your account, you would have opened the check for him to withdraw, but now you lie that you wanted him to deposit it. Meaning that you didnt have money in the account.

What does it take to sign the check and let him go and cash instead of saying go and deposit when you know the boy needs cash.

Very silly excuse. And we can see through it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by blaise26abj(m): 2:15pm On Jul 06, 2018
FlirtyKaren:
Oluyomi Olawore LLP, the law firm allegedly behind the assault on lawyer Kunle Karimu has finally spoken out after a video, which showed Karimu being assaulted by the Nigerian Police allegedly on their orders, went viral and sparked outrage.

In the new statement Lailasnews.com exclusively received from Mr. Oluyomi Olawore, what he says truly happened is totally different from the narration that went viral with the video.

You recall, Kunle Karimu was said to have been assaulted by the police after he confronted his former boss to demand for his salary.

Please read below the statement Lailasnews.com received from Oluyomi Olawore LLP:

Alleged Contracted Assault on Mr Kunle Karimu 
Preamble:

I have watched the viral video of Mr. Kunle Karimu (my former colleague in chambers) being assaulted by Policemen and I state without equivocation that I did not give any instruction to that effect and find his treatment reprehensible.

The assault of any person (whether by a private citizen or law-enforcement officer) is unacceptable and should be deprecated.

I have become aware that a lot of public condemnation has followed the publication of the viral video, and much of that condemnation and opprobrium has been visited on me.

It has been alleged that I treated Mr. Karimu badly as an employee and when he called at my office to demand his rights, I invited the Policemen to assault and threaten him.

Mr Karimu has also put forward his own story making a number of allegations against me. I make bold to state, categorically, that the allegation that I contracted Policemen to assault him is untrue and an unwarranted smear campaign.

What really happened between Oluyomi Olawore LLP & 
Kunle Karimu?

Mr. Kunle Karimu was employed in my law firm and assumed work on 3rd July, 2017 a

LIKE WE don't know how nigerian employers feel like they are doing you a favour for paying you your salary. This man is a big liar. He should be disbarred if found guilty.
He even threw the officers under the bus. He then said "subtle threat " after making it sound like he was taken hostage by a maniac .
Werey lawyer

2 Likes

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by kingthreat(m): 2:24pm On Jul 06, 2018
Karimu, no one will want to employ you. Start enterpreneurship grin
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by Ricmayak1: 2:26pm On Jul 06, 2018
Police came, didn't meet him lock you in your office, didn't ask you questions first but started slapping him. Na wa o.
We know the attitude of typical Nigerian employers. Selfish and wicked!

And who recorded the incident if not another aggrieved employee who is just bearing?

1 Like

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by greatbuc(m): 2:28pm On Jul 06, 2018
The footage that went viral must have been from one of his workers which means Mr ola oloriburuku has gotten away with so many of this ugly situations and is not loved by anyone around him. I suggest he hangs himself in his office while the same officers receive a call to exhume his stupid carcass. Am I speaking the mouth of the wise ones?

2 Likes

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by holuphisayor(m): 2:30pm On Jul 06, 2018
obviously he called the police to oppress this young man.

1 Like

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by esbjaygmailco(m): 2:38pm On Jul 06, 2018
atleast he was beaten in you office and the whole world saw it........Mr senior Lawyer, pele

1 Like

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by NairaChronicles: 2:46pm On Jul 06, 2018
realborn:

Well written rebuttal.

Who do we believe?

I think Mr Olawore should have obliged Mr Karimu by opening the cheque at the outset. Being obdurate yielded negative outcomes for both parties.

Everyone now knows Mr Karimu may be incompetent and as alleged, may be damn very aggressive and dramatic.

For Mr Olawore, very bad publicity for his firm. A cross section of the public will maintain he treats his members of staff poorly!

Best comment I have read in a long time. I. am sure written by a lawyer as well. God bless you.
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by jaxxy(m): 3:02pm On Jul 06, 2018
Mr olawore doesn't look like a man who treats his colleagues with respect as he claims if not he wud have simply opened the check and there wud be not need for this drama. Unless ur intention was not to pay him then let us know.

All he wanted was for u to open the check and u called police like he came to kidnap u. All ur long grammar is meaningless.

1 Like

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by detta: 3:04pm On Jul 06, 2018
this oluyomi olawore is also the owner of meat hub at prince ebeano supermarket and other outlets. his employees do not have anything good to say about him. he is very vindictive

1 Like

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by harmbhrosz(m): 3:05pm On Jul 06, 2018
greatbuc:
The footage that went viral must have been from one of his workers which means Mr ola oloriburuku has gotten away with so many of this ugly situations and is not loved by anyone around him. I suggest he hangs himself in his office while the same officers receive a call to exhume his stupid carcass. Am I speaking the mouth of the wise ones?
which Stuppid wise one? You are speaking for yourself o
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by detta: 3:13pm On Jul 06, 2018
Organism000:
Oluyomi, you lied.

That boy deserved his cash, even if you gave him a check and had money in your account, you would have opened the check for him to withdraw, but now you lie that you wanted him to deposit it. Meaning that you didnt have money in the account.

What does it take to sign the check and let him go and cash instead of saying go and deposit when you know the boy needs cash.

Very silly excuse. And we can see through it.
[b][/b]

he lied! walk into any meat hub shop and ask about him.
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by legalwealth(m): 3:20pm On Jul 06, 2018
bedspread:
To my Little Understanding, This sounds like a Huge LIE!!

Seconded! !!

2 Likes

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by Sterope(f): 3:29pm On Jul 06, 2018
Another question

How did the policemen gain access?

Also, he claimed it happened outside but the video showed that the assault happened right in the office.

oluwayimika123:
This is a blatant lie. From d long essay
He held u hostage in ur office d 1st time and d oda staffs were standing outside watching. He went outside ur office locked the main door then he still went inside ur office where u were seated waiting 4 him to come back and d oda staffs were watching him after he had held u hostage d 1st time. HOW NA

From ur narration, u didn't mention anywhere he came with an harmful object so afar oga boss. Odas were just dia watching him.

Anoda question is who recorded d fiasco with d SARS officials cos in d whole story u didn't mention dat he came with people.

All this long essay Na lies 4rm d pit of hell

2 Likes

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by Yinkagbo(m): 3:41pm On Jul 06, 2018
Untainted007:
We dont knw who to believe again but what I know is that most LAWYERS are LIARS in suits. If a liar sorry I mean Lawyer lies against you ehn, it takes only God to vindicate you. I sense some lies in this write up. He just want to cover up for his ill behaviour towards the guy. It was not the guy who decided not to do the mandatory one month notice of resignation you were the one who stopped him, why didnt you pay him the token you are paying and allow peace to reign abi the token you are paying to the poor guy is up to what u spend on ur oloshos?
Bro, you are very much right...... All I see in his writeup are lies lies lies.......chai oga lawyer

1 Like

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by GeorgeTheCoder: 4:11pm On Jul 06, 2018
Lies
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by realborn(m): 4:13pm On Jul 06, 2018
NairaChronicles:

Best comment I have read in a long time. I. am sure written by a lawyer as well. God bless you.

Gracias.

I am not a Lawyer though smiley
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by treshilicious: 4:32pm On Jul 06, 2018
how exactly did he hold you hostage? was he armed? what are you even saying? i smell lies sha
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by doctokwus: 5:08pm On Jul 06, 2018
oshe11:
See Essay
You quoted the whole stuff just to type this nonsense. You should be sent on asylum

1 Like

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by rayobaba(m): 6:01pm On Jul 06, 2018
Untainted007:
We dont knw who to believe again but what I know is that most LAWYERS are LIARS in suits. If a liar sorry I mean Lawyer lies against you ehn, it takes only God to vindicate you. I sense some lies in this write up. He just want to cover up for his ill behaviour towards the guy. It was not the guy who decided not to do the mandatory one month notice of resignation you were the one who stopped him, why didnt you pay him the token you are paying and allow peace to reign abi the token you are paying to the poor guy is up to what u spend on ur oloshos?
I no believe the boss too. If d guy did all wat he said, he can't easily tell d police to leave d guy. Na lie. Boss will want to prove boss
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by gabbasin: 6:14pm On Jul 06, 2018
FlirtyKaren:
Oluyomi Olawore LLP, the law firm allegedly behind the assault on lawyer Kunle Karimu has finally spoken out after a video, which showed Karimu being assaulted by the Nigerian Police allegedly on their orders, went viral and sparked outrage.

In the new statement Lailasnews.com exclusively received from Mr. Oluyomi Olawore, what he says truly happened is totally different from the narration that went viral with the video.

You recall, Kunle Karimu was said to have been assaulted by the police after he confronted his former boss to demand for his salary.

Please read below the statement Lailasnews.com received from Oluyomi Olawore LLP:

Alleged Contracted Assault on Mr Kunle Karimu 
Preamble:

I have watched the viral video of Mr. Kunle Karimu (my former colleague in chambers) being assaulted by Policemen and I state without equivocation that I did not give any instruction to that effect and find his treatment reprehensible.

The assault of any person (whether by a private citizen or law-enforcement officer) is unacceptable and should be deprecated.

I have become aware that a lot of public condemnation has followed the publication of the viral video, and much of that condemnation and opprobrium has been visited on me.

It has been alleged that I treated Mr. Karimu badly as an employee and when he called at my office to demand his rights, I invited the Policemen to assault and threaten him.

Mr Karimu has also put forward his own story making a number of allegations against me. I make bold to state, categorically, that the allegation that I contracted Policemen to assault him is untrue and an unwarranted smear campaign.

What really happened between Oluyomi Olawore LLP & 
Kunle Karimu?

Mr. Kunle Karimu was employed in my law firm and assumed work on 3rd July, 2017 as a Junior Counsel.

In my view as his supervisor, his performance on the job was less than satisfactory but as a responsible employer and a much older lawyer, I was loathe to dismiss him as I did not want to have his record tainted with a dismissal and I felt that he could be encouraged to improve.

Eventually, it became clear that he could no longer continue with us and rather than dismiss him, he was advised at the end of May, 2018, to resign. He sent in his letter of resignation in early June and it was accepted.

He was to work for the whole of June 2018 and receive his salary for June. I felt that he could use the one month period to look for another job.

Upon acceptance of his resignation in early June 2018, I issued him a cheque post-dated to 29th June, 2018 for his total June salary (which he accepted) – so that at the end of the month there would be a clean break.

By our practice, salaries are paid either by cheque (which are pre-crossed from the bank) or bank transfer. Mr. Karimu did not complain about the cheque being crossed.

About a week into June, 2018, Mr. Karimu became very disruptive in the office and was distracting the other staff. He was told to stop work on Friday 8th June, 2018 but still keep the salary already tendered to him for the whole of June 2018.

Surprisingly, on Monday 11th June, 2018, he came to the office. When I saw him I insisted that his employment had ceased and he should leave. He left the office.

On the 29th of June, 2018, Mr. Karimu sent the cheque back through my secretary, who had gone to the bank for some transactions – with a message that I should open the cheque. I replied that he should pay in the cheque as he could well do ordinarily.

He then barged into our office, came to my inner office and demanded forcefully that I open the cheque. He cut-off the CCTV monitor, locked the door to my inner office leaving me alone with him.

I was apprehensive of what he might do and given that it was a glass door, I called out to one of the lawyers to proceed to Lion Building Police Station for help – fearing a breach of the peace and likely assault on my person.

I did not call in thugs or engage in self-help. I believe that as a responsible citizen and officer of the law, I was entitled to call for the Police to arrest a worsening situation.

However, I had no interaction with the policemen before the incident or during the incident.

Whilst waiting for the Police to arrive, Mr. Karimu suddenly unlocked the door to my inner office and went out. I thought it was all over, not knowing until much later that he actually went to lock up the main door to the office. He returned to my inner office to lock me in with him again and became agitated and started making phone calls.

I heard him asking the person(s) on the other end of the phone whether they were set. He then called my secretary and told her to let my wife know what was happening to me.

Subsequently, he demanded that I make an immediate online transfer to him, which I refused to do (being apprehensive of the risk of logging into my online account under duress).

My other colleagues in the office were calling and at a point I answered the phone and put it on speaker for the people outside to speak to Mr. Karimu, but he refused to engage with them and they could not enter my office, hence I eventually succumbed to his harassment and aggression and opened the crossed cheque to enable him cash same over the counter.

This event transpired over a period of about 2 hours and my emotional state (being locked into my office and threatened by an aggressive and very hostile young man) could only be imagined.

Mr. Karimu then unlocked the door and left my office whilst I was still petrified and quavering about the drama that had just unfolded. At that point, two of the lawyers came to my office to inform me that Policemen were slapping him, and I instructed them to immediately tell the Policemen that they should leave Mr. Karimu alone and I was in any event not pressing any charges.

Throughout the incident (from the time Mr. Karimu barged in and locked the door up to the time the Policemen came and left with him), I was in my inner office and did not know or see what had happened as he had earlier cut-off the CCTV monitor.

I state categorically that I did not order his beating as I had no right or power to and in any event that is not in my character. I am a firm believer in the rule of law and would not take any unlawful action against anybody (and especially not against a fellow colleague).

In this matter, I was a victim of the aggression and harassment of Mr. Kunle Karimu who had a valid cheque properly signed by me in his hand but insisted on holding me hostage and under subtle threat in my office until I opened the cheque for him to cash over the counter.

If I had been strangled or harmed in any other way by him, I guess the narration would be very different now.

Now, however, I have been vilified and called all manner of names by some colleagues and others who have not bothered to hear my own side of the story. Happily, there are witnesses who can testify as to what happened in my office that day.

I end by reiterating that the Policemen were invited to prevent a breakdown of law and order within the confines of the law.

Source - https://lailasnews.com/exclusive-oluyomi-olawore-llp-lawyer-behind-alleged-assault-on-kunle-karimu-finally-speaks/

I can smell lies here
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by mapet: 7:17pm On Jul 06, 2018
azeezInfo:
Even though I am not a lawyer, I have some questions for you Sir.

Why did you give out a closed post dated cheque? though you claimed "so that at the end of the month there would be a clean break"

How were you able to call someone to get you the police to harass the guy when held hostage in your office?

Bros,

Your questions are bother-line not thought-provoking and answers are not far-fetched.
1. The reason why he gave him a "crossed" (closed) cheque is well explained in the statement. You can opt to get crossed-cheques by default from your bank as a personal or business security measure. That he issued crossed-cheque should have signaled to the recipient that such cheque should be paid into a current account if not opened.
My only exception here with Olawore LLP is that when you laid him off, you should have paid him off immediately and close hia case for good. The "come back at month-end" arrangements is not well thought-through and "unprofessional".

2. Secondly that he called the police is within the limits of the law. If police went beyond their remits is not hia own making.

3. The Karimu guy can also be prosecuted if the police establishes that he indeed held his Boss hostage. There are saner ways to pursue his greviances (and social media is not even one of them). How come he's demanding that a closed cheque be opened when he can simply pay it into hia account? Is it that he's overdrawn his account and this payment was going to wipe out hia deficit? Something doesn't add up here
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by shine96: 7:24pm On Jul 06, 2018
omocalabar:
Keep lying to yourself... I wish the guy had Enuf resources to Sue the hell out of u.... Lack of job opportunities have turned opportunist like u into demi-gods... Fool

The boss is a bloody liar
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by mapet: 7:27pm On Jul 06, 2018
Nezero:
For the fact that the video was released it shows that members of staff are sympathetic with Karimu and side with him.

They probably feel Karimu was not fairly treated

Beyond SM sympathy, Karimu may turn out to be the looser here. What a lot of you fail to realize is that Olawore LLP has put out an official statement that absolves them of having any hand in the police brutality. That, they have well explained. The police will reprimand the officers involved....... then what? The police can decide to prosecute Karimu for disturbing public peace...... a situation where he will then realize he's on his own.

Secondly, we should all learn to be deep thinkers and proactively reflect before we act. Karimu better go and start his own law firm........ Cos no firm will want similar SMish drama and besides lawyers in practice cannot trust his level of sanity

1 Like

Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by mapet: 7:34pm On Jul 06, 2018
NairaChronicles:

realborn:

Well written rebuttal.

Who do we believe?

I think Mr Olawore should have obliged Mr Karimu by opening the cheque at the outset. Being obdurate yielded negative outcomes for both parties.

Everyone now knows Mr Karimu may be incompetent and as alleged, may be damn very aggressive and dramatic.

For Mr Olawore, very bad publicity for his firm. A cross section of the public will maintain he treats his members of staff poorly

Deep.

Olawore messed up. He should have severed him properly on the 11th. When you lay off a staff, you don't tell them to wait till month end...... One of Brian Tracy's law comes to mind - "Hire carefully...... Fire quickly". A troublesome staff can only bring calamity to the image/brand of a firm.
Re: Oluyomi Olawore Speaks On Assault On Kunle Karimu by mapet: 7:40pm On Jul 06, 2018
All of you saying "you don't believe" Olawore LLP statement don't get the bigger picture. This official statement is not to seek "a believable" story...that ship has long sailed in...... The strategy is to absolve the law firm if complicity in the assault in Karimu. After that, Olawore LLP ia done and dusted with him.

Lessons for many young folks who thinks "agidi" can solve issues.....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chevron Nupeng Members Block Entrance Due To Non Payment Of Dues (photos) / What Can A Young Graduate Gainfully Engage In Apart From Tech? / 6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.