Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian (3856 Views)

Tongues: A Fundamental Flaw In Pentecostalism / Is Speaking In Tongues Compulsory? / Is Speaking In Tongue Learnt Or Received? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by gbagudara: 7:09am On Jun 10, 2010
Some christian denominations believe in speaking in tongues.
What if you didn't or couldn't have this experience, does that mean you are a sinner or you are not special enough?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by ud4u: 8:34am On Jun 10, 2010
Speaking in tongue is one of the numerous gifts of the Holy Spirit, but is not requirement for a Christian. My friend, please don't go and learn how to speak in tongue because I heard that there is a school for speaking in tongue. People can never cease to amuse us.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by adegoketes: 5:39pm On Jun 11, 2010
speaking in tongues is a necessity for every christian because it's an evidence of the in filling of the Holy Spirit,. That is , you cannot receive the Holy Spirit and not speak in tongues. And we know that it's hard for a christian to live HOLY without the Holy Spirit for the Holy Spirit is the spirit of Holiness, and without holiness no one can see the LORD. (1 sam2:9) " It's not by power, nor by might but by my spirit", saith the LORD.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by ogajim(m): 7:24pm On Jun 11, 2010
adegoketes:

speaking in tongues is a necessity for every christian because it's an evidence of the in filling of the Holy Spirit,. That is , you cannot receive the Holy Spirit and not speak in tongues. And we know that it's hard for a christian to live HOLY without the Holy Spirit for the Holy Spirit is the spirit of Holiness, and without holiness no one can see the LORD. (1 sam2:9) " It's not by power, nor by might but by my spirit", saith the LORD.

Whoever taught you that must be STOPPED, The Holy Spirit gives each and every Christian different gifts:

1 Corinthians 12:7-11 (King James Version)

7But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

1 Corinthians 14:13-28 (King James Version)

13Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

14For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

16Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

17For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

20Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

21In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

22Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

23If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

24But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

25And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

26How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

If you need to speak in tongues, the Holy Spirit will give it to you, be careful for many are oout to lead others astray
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by noetic16(m): 10:20pm On Jun 11, 2010
adegoketes:

where did u get all these from?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by indie22(f): 11:37am On Jun 12, 2010
Speaking in tongues is not a necessity for a christian, its a gift of the holy spirit, if you have the gift then by all means use it, A lot of people dont have the gift but just dont want to feel left out thats why you see them jumping up and down in the church, kabasshing all over the place.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by Tgirl4real(f): 12:23pm On Jun 12, 2010
gbagudara:

Some christian denominations believe in speaking in tongues.
What if you didn't or couldn't have this experience, does that mean you are a sinner or you are not special enough?

NO
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by yommyuk: 6:38pm On Jun 12, 2010
1 Corin 13:1
If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or clanging cymbal.

Speaking in Tongues is not the requirement needed.
The main Christain requirement is "Love" for his neigbour. Be it believer, Non believer, Friend or enemy.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by gbagudara: 7:26am On Jun 14, 2010
I hear you there yommyuk. Your idea is spiritually yummy.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by eddy1977(m): 5:53am On Jun 16, 2010
if you speak english,you are already speaking a tongue unkown to your ancestors. if you spoke a nigerian vernacular or even pidgin in a chinese congregration,you wil sound giberish to them,they will beleive that u r speaking in tongues.

i just dont understand why most folks who claim to speak in tongues almost sound the same,something like:

barabara bashi bababa shibaba barabashinto babababaye
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by Nobody: 8:28am On Jun 16, 2010
adegoketes:

speaking in tongues is a necessity for every christian because it's an evidence of the in filling of the Holy Spirit,. That is , you cannot receive the Holy Spirit and not speak in tongues. And we know that it's hard for a christian to live HOLY without the Holy Spirit for the Holy Spirit is the spirit of Holiness, and without holiness no one can see the LORD. (1 sam2:9)

These are the kinds of fallacies that some of these funky, modern-day pentecostal churches fill in peoples' brains. I once had a girlfriend that shared the above belief, and claimed to be a "born-again" filled with the Holy Spirit (as evidenced by speaking in tongues). Yet, she was stubborn, proud, unsubmissive and generally obnoxious in behaviour. I'd ask her if the fruits of the Holy Spirit begins and ends with speaking in tongues; whether humility, selflessness, tenderness, obedience, compassion and other such behavioural virtues do not come with the package. Rather than address these issues, she'll stubbornly waive those aside and latch on to this speaking in tongues mumbo-jumbo. I can't stand that kind of hypocritical crap; deliberately emphasizing portions of the Bible that suits your selfish purpose and then ignoring the rest.

If one is TRULY filled with the Holy Spirit, IT WILL SHOW IN ONE'S ATTITUDE, not by concocting some strange language to deceive yourself and gullible on-lookers.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by Joagbaje(m): 3:58pm On Jun 17, 2010
speaking in tongues is a necessity for every christian. Benefits of speaking in tongues are numerous. such as edifying the believer, helping the believer to pray aright. Praying in tongues is the most perfect way to pray in the will of God.

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by JeSoul(f): 4:36pm On Jun 17, 2010
Joagbaje:

speaking in tongues is a necessity for every christian. Benefits of speaking in tongues are numerous. such as edifying the believer, helping the believer to pray aright. Praying in tongues is the most perfect way to pray in the will of God.

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Another scripture verse yanked outta context.

If SIT is a necessity then what in the world did Paul mean here?

1 Cor 11:1Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant . . . 28And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?

The gift of tongues is NOT given to every christian. The above verse makes that abundantly clear.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by Joagbaje(m): 6:20pm On Jun 17, 2010
JeSoul:

Another scripture verse yanked outta context.
The gift of tongues is NOT given to every christian. The above verse makes that abundantly clear.

You are correct. The gift of tongues is not for everybody. But You are missing something out.
The gift of speaking with Tongues is different from. The general speaking in tongues, which is a manifestation and evidence of recieving the holyghost. So there is a general praying or speaking in tongues for every christian by which he edifies himself this is not a gift on its own, but a manifestation of receiving the holyghost as gift, but there is also a special Gift of Speaking WITH Tongues. Which gives a man ability to communicate in an earthly language which he never learnt . there is another part by which the person speaks non earthly language but an heavenly one. For such he needs to interpret it to the church in a known language.

1 Cor. 12:30
Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

There is difference between Speaking IN Tongues and speaking WITH Tongues.

All Christians may not have this but the general one of Edifying oneself is neccessary for all christians.

So in a nutshell. Speaking in Tongues Edifies the Christian but Speaking WITH Tongues Edifies the Church especially when interpreted.

But if in speking to God alone by myself ,I dont need to interpret to anybody

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by noetic16(m): 6:29pm On Jun 17, 2010
^^^ I will let Jesoul do justice to the above and wait on the sidelines in amusement.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by Joagbaje(m): 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2010
There is a difference between speaking in tongues ,speaking with and praying in tongues and praying with tongues.
They may have been interchangably used on few occasions. But an open hearted person can easily know the difference
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by JeSoul(f): 7:59pm On Jun 17, 2010
noetic16:

^^^ I will let Jesoul do justice to the above and wait on the sidelines in amusement.
See this boy, you want to enjoy show lol.
I didn't want to get drawn into a tussle hence my initial hesitation to reply the thread . . . but lemme answer Pastor Joe.

Joagbaje:

You are correct. The gift of tongues is not for everybody. But You are missing something out.
The gift of speaking with Tongues is different from. The general speaking in tongues, which is a manifestation and evidence of recieving the holyghost. So there is a general praying or speaking in tongues for every christian by which he edifies himself this is not a gift on its own, but a manifestation of receiving the holyghost as gift, but there is also a special Gift of Speaking WITH Tongues. Which gives a man ability to communicate in an earthly language which he never learnt . there is another part by which the person speaks non earthly language but an heavenly one. For such he needs to interpret it to the church in a known language.

I ask only one thing, that you show this clearly by scripture. I don't see where in 1 Cor 12 there is a distinction made btw what you're terming "speaking in vs. with tongues". It's a matter of word choice in the translation and certainly not an attempt to describe a different kind of gift of tongues. (indeed different translations osscilate back and forth btw 'in' & 'with' in that particular verse). Also note we're not talking about the purpose nor practice of tongues ie, tongues prayed to God, tongues spoken in a congregation etc. Lets just focus on the claim it is necessary for salvation or that all believers should speak it, lest the waters get muddy.

There is one gift of tongues - and it is used in various ways, some of which you mentioned, speaking to God, speaking to the church etc. This does not constitute different gifts of tongues - just one gift, applied/used in different ways.

Taking the entire chapter in context, Paul is speaking about how God assigns different gifts and offices to different members of the body of Christ. And that all people do not have ALL the gifts. Gal 6 tells us clearly the biblical sign of salvation - and it is a person who exhibits the fruit of the Spirit - not one that speaks in tongues.

Cheers.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by Enigma(m): 8:24pm On Jun 17, 2010
Of course my good friend pasiitor Joagbaje is talking through the wrong part of his anatomy again - as ever.   grin
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by Joagbaje(m): 9:08pm On Jun 17, 2010
JeSoul:

See this boy, you want to enjoy show lol.
I didn't want to get drawn into a tussle hence my initial hesitation to reply the thread . . . but lemme answer Pastor Joe.

I ask only one thing, that you show this clearly by scripture. I don't see where in 1 Cor 12 there is a distinction made btw what you're terming "speaking in vs. with tongues". It's a matter of word choice in the translation and certainly not an attempt to describe a different kind of gift of tongues. (indeed different translations osscilate back and forth btw 'in' & 'with' in that particular verse). Also note we're not talking about the purpose nor practice of tongues ie, tongues prayed to God, tongues spoken in a congregation etc. Lets just focus on the claim it is necessary for salvation or that all believers should speak it, lest the waters get muddy.

There is one gift of tongues - and it is used in various ways, some of which you mentioned, speaking to God, speaking to the church etc. This does not constitute different gifts of tongues - just one gift, applied/used in different ways.

Taking the entire chapter in context, Paul is speaking about how God assigns different gifts and offices to different members of the body of Christ. And that all people do not have ALL the gifts. Gal 6 tells us clearly the biblical sign of salvation - and it is a person who exhibits the fruit of the Spirit - not one that speaks in tongues.
Cheers.

You have to be open enough on this matter. Let me ask a question. Is every christian supposed to evangelise or only few?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by nuclearboy(m): 9:38pm On Jun 17, 2010
All the turenchi gives me headaches!

@Joagbaje

"And these signs shall follow them that believe". TRUE! Follow them "where", chairman? To bed where you drive out demons, heal the sick or get bitten by lions? tongue

The context in which Christ was speaking was evangelical. Add that to the Spirit giving as He wills and what you get is the WHOLE truth.

Let me explain - The Apostles and believers today would encounter situations where things out of the ordinary would be required for their missionary "go ye out into all the world" mission to be fulfilled. e.g. when Paul was bitten by a poisonous snake, something had to happen to convince his audience. At THAT TIME, deadly creatures could not harm him. During the festival of Pentecost when the HS came down, something had to happen to convince Peter's audience. At that time, "speaking in tongues". When Peter met the cripple by the Temple. At that time, the sick (crippled) was healed. During the inquisitions of the RCC when some were told to drink poison to no avail (just so people would see AND believe) etc. In essence, DURING the fulfillment of the WORK CHRIST GAVE US, THESE SIGNS WOULD MANIFEST!

What you guys have with your "eba no yellow akpu with dodo hungry rice and baked beans monsters looking at me with no nose" kabbashing is malnultrition-delusions (some is over-bellyful delusions sha grin). "Miracle working" is a gift for "SOME". So also is "Speaking in Tongues" a 'Gift of the Spirit' for some who, lets just say "can use it" at will for whatever purpose but NOT FOR ALL Christians. However, during evangelism and IF NEEDED as determined by the HS, all Christians CAN/WILL show any/all of these for the purpose of the Gospel.

So Bro, when next you start your kabbashing in church, tell yourself - "how daft we all are admiring the Emperor's new clothes" grin grin (hope that joke doesn't pass you by)

No be everybody must speak in tongues. But the potential is there and it'll happen if the conditions are right.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by JeSoul(f): 10:28pm On Jun 17, 2010
Joagbaje:
You have to be open enough on this matter. Let me ask a question. Is every christian supposed to evangelise or only few?
In regards to the topic at hand, I am open to the extent the scriptures afford, which will be from Genesis to Revelation. I will deliberately avoid the diversionary question of evangelism you threw up there. The issue is tongues ain't it? no wrenches in the wheel allowed. I would appreciate a response to my last post, if you're up to it sir smiley.

Cheerios.

NuclearSir,
the emperor's new clothes smiley . . . so many have fallen alike, hook line and sinker. Anyways, how you dey?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by nuclearboy(m): 10:50pm On Jun 17, 2010
I'm fine, Ma'am. You?

Will be watching to see Pastor's response to you but I think he ought be let off (this time). Problem is its likely him that'll insist on tying himself in knots. Never seen people so unwilling to listen to others yet so needful of it. Whatever happened to the idea that none of us is perfect and that iron sharpens iron? Come to think of it, baby-teeth like mine can't sharpen Nada.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by Joagbaje(m): 10:58pm On Jun 17, 2010
JeSoul:

In regards to the topic at hand, I am open to the extent the scriptures afford, which will be from Genesis to Revelation. I will deliberately avoid the diversionary question of evangelism you threw up there. The issue is tongues ain't it? no wrenches in the wheel allowed. I would appreciate a response to my last post, if you're up to it sir smiley.

The point I was trying to make is. That thesame way every Christian is called into evangelistic ministry, is the same way the infilling of the holy spirit gives every Christian that has recieved to speak in tongues , but the fact that every Christian is call to evangelism does not mean every Christian is called into the office of an Evangelist. So all Christians are supposed to recieve the holyghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues . Speaking in tongues has two sides . Tongues of men / tongues of angels.  

Chapter 13 :1
Though I speak with the[b] tongues of men and of angels,[/b] and have not charity, I am become[ as] sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by Joagbaje(m): 11:10pm On Jun 17, 2010
The question really is not even about speaking in tongues persé but rather about receiving the holyghost. If you recieve the holyghost, you ought to be able to speak in tongues. It is one major sign of the infilling of the spirit
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by Nobody: 9:21am On Jun 18, 2010
@pastor agbaje

when the apostles received the holy ghost tongues of fire appeared and rested on the apostles head.Does it now mean that if tongues of fire does not appear one has not received the gift of the holy ghost?

The gift of speaking in tongues has only being recorded only once since the end of apostolic times by st Vincent Ferrer in the fifteenth century.what people call speaking i tongues today is a far cry from what happened on the Pentecost day when the apostle spoke in languages they had not previously learned and people actually understood them.what obtains today is that people indulge in all forms of indecipherable
gibberish which no one(including themselves) understand and call it speaking in tongues.

Mind you speaking in "tongues" is not the only gift of the holy spirit over the years of Christianity people have been blessed with a variety of gifts like Levitation,bi location which is today rare.But that does not mean if one does not levitate or bi locate he does not have the holy spirit.

By the way when you speak in tongues which language do you speak in ?does anyone actually understand you?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by JeSoul(f): 6:23pm On Jun 18, 2010
Joagbaje:

The point I was trying to make is. That thesame way every Christian is called into evangelistic ministry, is the same way the infilling of the holy spirit gives every Christian that has recieved to speak in tongues , but the fact that every Christian is call to evangelism does not mean every Christian is called into the office of an Evangelist.
Nice analogy, but it is fundamentally flawed.

Comparing speaking in tongues to evangelism can be likened to comparing apples to oranges. Evangelism is a charge (or command if you will) given to all christians, evangelism is not a gift, speaking in tongues is. Yes some may be particularly skilled in articulating the gospel (evangelism), but we are all commanded to evangelize, and on the other hand we are all certainly not called to speak in tongues, infact 1 Cor teaches us just the exact opposite.

Joagbaje:

The question really is not even about speaking in tongues persé but rather about receiving the holyghost. If you recieve the holyghost, you ought to be able to speak in tongues. It is one major sign of the infilling of the spirit
Yes, speaking in tongues is a sign of the infilling of the Holy Spirit - it is not the sign. There is a big difference between "a" and "the". I reiterate, the ultimate sign of the indwelling of the Spirit, is one who exhibits the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Gal 6).

nuclearboy:

I'm fine, Ma'am. You?
I am well oh oga, incredibly busy with so many life changes. Also been under the weather a bit but getting some strength back. Certainly, your funny posts all over this section frequently administers that potent drug called laughter smiley obrigado!

Will be watching to see Pastor's response to you but I think he ought be let off (this time). Problem is its likely him that'll insist on tying himself in knots. Never seen people so unwilling to listen to others yet so needful of it. Whatever happened to the idea that none of us is perfect and that iron sharpens iron? Come to think of it, baby-teeth like mine can't sharpen Nada.
I'm in the mood for some knots smiley lets see his comeback . . .
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by mbaemeka(m): 11:24pm On Jun 18, 2010
IS IT NECESSARY TO SPEAK IN TONGUES?

CAVEAT EMPTOR: MANY HAVE BEEN ROBBED OF THE BLESSING GOD HAS FOR THEM BY BELIEVING THAT SPEAKING IN TONGUES ISNT FOR EVERYBODY, OR THAT IT IS ONE OF THE LESSER GIFTS.

There is more to being filled with the holyspirit than speaking in tongues, but tongues are an integral and important part of receiving the holyspirit. Paul said, “i thank my God, i speak with tongues, ”(1Cor.14:18).
So the question is, “is it necessary for all to speak in tongues?”

EMPHATICALLY YES!, why?

I know some profess to believe in tongues, but do not believe that tongues are necessary for all christians. They use the argument from first Corinthians 12:30 “, do all speak with tongues?” however, one could take part of a verse or even an entire verse of scripture out of its setting and prove anything. We must read the entire passage to understand what it really means.
12:27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

12:28 And God has set some[seperated some for a particular function] in the church, first apostles, secondarily
prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of
healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all
workers of miracles?

12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all
interpret?

In verse twenty- eight Paul is talking about the ministry gifts that God has set in the church. “Apostles” is not a spiritual gift, but an office, or a ministry gift. “prophets” is not a spiritual gift, but a ministry gift to minister to the body of christ.
In the first part of this chapter, Paul does list spiritual gifts.
12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another
the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of
healing by the same Spirit;

12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to
another discerning of spirits; to another different kinds of tongues;
to another the interpretation of tongues:

It is certainly true that the gifts of the spirit maybe manifested through laymen, because Paul said, “, the manifestation of the spirit is given to EVERY MAN to profit withal” (1Cor. 12:7)

There are also those in the ministry who are equipped with the gifts of the spirit. We do not call these people “spiritual gifts”. As Paul says here God has set ministries- five ministry gifts-in the church.

In writing to the church at Ephesus, paul lists these gifts. He said that when jesus ascended on high he gave some, apostles; and some prophets; and some evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers” (Eph. 4:11).

When paul wrote to the corinthians about these ministry gifts, we notice that neither the ministry of an evangelist nor a pastor is listed (1Cor. 12:28). Since the pastor is head of the church, his ministry gift is included in the office of governments. The working of miracles and gifts of healings are included in the office of an evangelist.

Philip is a type of new testament evangelist. We read of him: “
8:5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ
unto them.

8:6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which
Philip spoke, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.

8:7 For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that
were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were
lame, were healed.

Later philip was called an evangelist.

If a person is a new testament evangelist he is equipped with such supernatural gifts as working of miracles or gift of healings. It takes these gifts to constitute his office. Many times we call people evangelists when they are really exhorters. (paul speaks of exhorters in the book of romans.) those who just exhort sinners to get saved- but have no working of gifts of healings or miracles or the supernatural in their lives-are not evangelists but exhorters.

As we have pointed out, paul is speaking about a ministry gift of diversities of tongues(incorporated in the prophetic office) in first corithians 12:29,30. He isnt talking about being filled with the holy spirit and speaking with tongues. He asks, are all apostles? [no.]are all prophets? [No.] are all teachers? [No] are all workers of miracles?[No] have all gifts of healings?[no.]

Then he asks, “do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? According to what he is talking about here, the answer is no. He is not talking about people being filled with the holy spirit and speaking with tongues. He is talking about ministering tongues in a public assembly with interpretation. Everybody doesnt do that! Everybody wasnt called into the ministry gifts/offices, God himself calls people. However, every christian needs to be filled with Gods spirit and the evidence of the infilling (scripturally) is speaking in tongues. What can a christians life be without speaking in tongues-such a christian will be powerless, carnal etc to say the least. How can such a christian effectively worship God? How can such a person charge the persons spirit? Why is this issue being argued in the first place? Soon they would argue that heaven is not neccessary for every christian. If you think its not possible then explain to me how that some people go about masqurading as christians and saying theres no hell, everybody will go to heaven, there are different levels of heaven-crap!

You may not agree with me now, but surely many other guests on this forum will because its the word of God. I thought like most of you before until Gods spirit began to show me from his word that i needed to be filled with the holyspirit and that when i got filled i would speak in tongues!
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by ogajim(m): 12:47am On Jun 19, 2010
Pastor Joagbaje, do you speak like this on Sundays?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7cye4wzZVw
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by yommyuk: 6:40am On Jun 19, 2010
Now before I go any further I will like every reader to focus on the actual statement that started this thread

"IS SPEAKING IN TONGUES A REQUIREMENT FOR A CHRISTAIN"

"A REQUIREMENT" meaning a "Necessity" or "Obligatory" or "Demand" - basically meaning what one can do without.

To fully understand what the Bible is saying about speaking in tongues you have to look at the setting. When the apostles set out after Pentecost, they preached to a mass of people from many countries and different languages. Tongues served as a communication tool and a sign. Many Jews that lived in different countries came to Jerusalem for worship and feast days. Most were bilingual. They spoke in the language of their home and because of the laws of the Roman Empire they also spoke Greek. The sign of tongues was not to show that the apostles had salvation, but to bear witness to a culture that had countless religions. No god but our God could take uneducated men and give them understanding about the plan of salvation and equip them to speak in the native tongues of lands they had never visited and speak a language they had no knowledge of.

Look at 1 Corinthians 14:22, "Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe." There is no way to misinterpret this scripture. Tongues are an evangelistic tool not a sign of salvation. When the people gathered at Jerusalem saw unlearned men speaking their language, they were convinced that the Jesus being preached was real and had the power to do this miracle.

The answer is found in 1 Corinthians 14:4-5

4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

Verse 5 gives a strong example as to why the doctrine of tongues for salvation is in error: "I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied". Clearly Paul is acknowledging that other believers have not spoken in tongues and clearly he is saying that prophesying is a greater benefit than tongues are

Conclusively, In 1 Corin 14:26 "Well my brothers and sisters, lets summarize. When you next meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, One will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all.

Speaking in tongues is an amazing gift because it is a sign of the holy spirit in ones life. That is why it is stated clearly in 1 Corin 14: 39 "So, my dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and don't forbid speaking in tongues. However in 14: 40 it also states that everything should be done properly and in order.

The key requirement for every christain is in the begining of the 1 Corin 14:1 " Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special ability to prophesy.

Vs 2 For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won't be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the spirit, but it will all be mysterious.

Now my question is which one will u desire? Being mysterious to the body of christ or having the ability to strengthen the entire church. I will aim for the latter but will not forbid the other.

There used to be a man in our church who will start speaking in tongues very loudly during the service. The Elders of the church quickly recognised that this was not appropriate. They applied 1 Corin 14:40 to rectify the situation by praying for the man by making the spirit that was manifesting subject to the order of service.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Requirement For A Christian by nuclearboy(m): 9:38am On Jun 19, 2010
@yommyuk:

God bless you! balanced, makes sense and true!

Not noise making intended for recreation or to "show". Evangelical BUT some have it as a gift and manifest as though normal to them.

BTW, I speak in tongues so its not like I'm complaining. Lets just know the truth not believe in this rubbish "kabbashing"

(1) (2) (Reply)

Practical Christian Life Counselling / Who Said Angels Don't Have Sexual Feelings? / The Jewish Holocaust Hoax(did Six Million Jews Actually Die?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.