Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,542 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Nigerian Electricity Under Construction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Electricity Under Construction (4465 Views)

Senate Orders Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission To Suspend 40% Hike / Akpabio: N/delta Sacrificed $1.5bn For Electricity Under Jonathan, Yet No Change / Major Projects Under Construction In Nigeria (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by Fadajasi(m): 10:07am On Mar 25, 2007
Is it true that the nigeria electricity is under construction?
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by GNature(m): 10:48am On Mar 25, 2007
Nigeria is currently revamping its power infrastructure through the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP).

For more details on this:-

http://www.fmps.gov.ng/projs/projects_power.htm

http://www.lahmeyer.de/e/units/ge/ps_ge4_e_230340_niger_delta_2006_10.pdf
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by desertboom(m): 12:23pm On Mar 26, 2007
story story= to story
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by iice(f): 3:17pm On Mar 26, 2007
Once upon a time? time time. . . .Tales by moonlight jare
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by Seun(m): 8:49pm On Mar 26, 2007
Privatization is the answer. The government should face its primary responsibilities and leave power to us. wink
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by sleekdot(m): 10:28pm On Mar 26, 2007
Seun,
What are the primary responsibility of government??
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by GNature(m): 12:37am On Mar 27, 2007
desertboom:

story story= to story

Why respond to this thread if you are not going to make any meaningful contribution ?
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by 9ja4eva: 7:36pm On Mar 28, 2007
Tired of reading prefer action.They have been saying dis for ages.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by BigB11(m): 8:20pm On Mar 28, 2007
Definitely, privatization is the obvious and only solution. Waste time not, NEPA should be divided into 3 parts and privatized immediately.
Dividing it into 3 parts will promote positive competition between the 3 organizations and this will also give Nigerian citizens option to bargain between the organizations for the best services.

If you don't think this is the answer, please think back 10 to 14 years back, when people used to line up to make phone calls at their neighbor's house and see what we've done lately with our telecommunication.

No need to rely on baseless federal government, most of these officials have Generator to supplement power failure; they don't give a rassss. Allow investors who are capable of developing and taking our electricity resource to the next level.

I say "PRIVATIZATION"
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by 9ja4eva: 9:00am On Mar 29, 2007
Do u tink d government wld do dt?How stable will b d rate if private investors come in?
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by dayokanu(m): 9:35am On Mar 29, 2007
OBJ promised us this in 1999 that by December 2001 we would have uninterrrupted electricity MArch 2007 electricity is at its worst in the history of this country
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by BigB11(m): 1:17pm On Mar 29, 2007
Do u think d government would do dt?How stable will b d rate if private investors come in?

Just because something is privatized doesn't mean that it is fully controlled by the private sector.

NEPA could be privatized with strict Federal Government regulations to protect the citizens.

There is absolutely nothing to be scared of, this is the only way to change constant power failure for better and forever.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by Bankole01(m): 2:21pm On Mar 29, 2007
Privatisation in the Nigerian sense means public utility or parastal auctioned to well ppositioned thieves who proceed to buy the entity with stolen money. The end result is Nigerians get the shaft. Even if a foreign producer wants to buy Nigeria's utilities, they would be stifiled with the endless bribes they have to give, for their shortage of outstretched arms. Changing the name of the electric company with the same incompetent management amounts to an exercise in futility. Obasanjo has failed woefully.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by BigB11(m): 2:25pm On Mar 29, 2007
Dude, what is your point?
Stay in the dark for 5 days out of the week?
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by Bankole01(m): 2:56pm On Mar 29, 2007
My point Mr Big is a change of government. Falae would have done a better job than Obasanjo. Buhari will do a good job, managaing the present day utility as is without selling to anyone. The entity needs good managers, auditors and good government oversight and funding.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by BigB11(m): 3:55pm On Mar 29, 2007
Good point, but I'm not sure if it is an excellent recommendation to resolve this problem.

As we all know, this power failure issue has been an on-going problem in Nigeria for more than 40 years; during these years we've had different leaders or different regimes and it seems that none of this era is competent enough to come up with a solid strategy to rectify this power failure issue forever.

To me, I think it's time to move on and allow private sector to invest their money to fully develop the electric power in Nigeria.

How long are we willing to wait for these incompetent leaders?
How long are we willing to wait for Federal Government (the invisible entity) to start performing magic?

Privatizing NEPA will give a sense of responsibility to the private sector and will also give Nigerian citizens tangible premise to hold someone (an organization) responsible for power failure.

At the moment, I do not think anyone is responsible for this failure, but the invisible Federal Government.
How long do we want to live like this?

Enough is enough, it's time to change things for better and forever; I say 100% PRIVATIZATION
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by BigB11(m): 4:09pm On Mar 29, 2007
15 months after the privatizing transition of NEPA has been completed, I predict that Nigerian citizens will experience 80% improvement in power supply through out the nation.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by 9ja4eva: 3:31am On Apr 01, 2007
Big B1:

Just because something is privatized doesn't mean that it is fully controlled by the private sector.

NEPA could be privatized with strict Federal Government regulations to protect the citizens.

There is absolutely nothing to be scared of, this is the only way to change constant power failure for better and forever.

I get it though.Jst kinda curious.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by GNature(m): 9:28pm On Apr 01, 2007
Big B1:

15 months after the privatizing transition of NEPA has been completed, I predict that Nigerian citizens will experience 80% improvement in power supply through out the nation.

Have you really thought this through ? Complete privatization will not automatically bring our generated power to 10,000 MW, so how can we experience 85% improvement as you stated ?
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by BigB11(m): 10:59pm On Apr 01, 2007
I said 80%, not 85%.

85% will be too much, but 80% is doable.

On a serious note: Strict government regulation will make this (80% improvement\15months) happen effectively and efficiently.

We've been in the darkness off and on for over 40 years; enough is enough, it's time to do something different.
Bring on the privatization.

Privatization will increase high skilled employment opportunity, it will motivate Nigeriansw from all over the world to come back home, it will restore Nigeria as an attractive country once again, it will also attract investors from all over.

We have absolutely nothing to lose.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by 9ja4eva: 7:40am On Apr 02, 2007
Yu right.Its so so frustrating.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by GNature(m): 9:58am On Apr 02, 2007
@BigB1

Please explain how we will meet 80% of our power needs within 15 months of privatization. Don't get me wrong, I am all for privitization, but there is no way 80% of our power needs can be met within 15 months of privatization.

We might see good improvement within 3 years (after heavy investment by the private entities), but definately not 80% within 15 months. But you can explain your rationale.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by 9ja4eva: 6:34pm On Apr 02, 2007
Its looks almost impossible but with good plans and organization it is possible.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by GNature(m): 8:49pm On Apr 02, 2007
If the problem was just planning & organization, may be, but unfortunately, that is not just the problem.

The problem entails more than that.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by BigB11(m): 9:35pm On Apr 02, 2007
GNature:

Is it going to make you feel better if I say " it will take 15 years instead"?

My point: It doesn't matter, as long as the improvement is visible within a short period.
At this point, my man, anything is better. Let's move forward by implementing privatization as soon as possible.

With strict Fed Government regulation, I'm 100% sure that it will not take 40 years to stabilize things.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by GNature(m): 9:38pm On Apr 02, 2007
Alright BigB1, I get your point  wink

Lets just cross our fingers and hope our new incoming President continues with the privitization initiative.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by BigB11(m): 9:53pm On Apr 02, 2007
He (next President) has no choice, but to move forward with it. It is clear that without it, Nigeria as a nation will continue to crumble.

The advantages of Privatization in Nigeria at this point is overwhelming and one has to be totally blind and dumb not to see it.

This is a win win win situation: The investors will make money, standard of living in Nigeria will improve drastically and the Federal Government (current administration) will also look like a superman.
This can even promise a guarantee 2nd term for the next president.

Absolutely nothing for us to lose and no reason to panic.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by GNature(m): 9:57pm On Apr 02, 2007
I understand, its just that sometimes an incoming administration tries to undo some of the policies of the former.

But you are right, I don't think any incoming President really has any other choice.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by 9ja4eva: 9:51am On Apr 03, 2007
Exactly.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by chidichris(m): 10:35am On Apr 05, 2007
Seun, since privatization has become the answer to everything, let them privatize governance too.
there is government because of the presence of the public limited laibility companies like Nafcon, Nitel, Nepa and water board.
if we succeed in privatizing all these including the nnpc, there will not be anything to be managed by governement hence government becaomes useless.
remember all these authorities are left in the hands of governement to provide the average citizens of a country with the basic armenities of life at a very reduced rate(subsidy) so tell me what happens when the prices of all these basic armenities are fixed by profit oriented businessmen men, what will be the fate of the poor citizens?
about the issue of nigerian electricity been under construction and reconstruction, i want to confirm that here because it has been under construction since i was been and i think as long as the same political idiots are in control of the country's affairs, it will remain under construction as it is serving them well in their campeign days.
obj campeigned with nigerian electricity promising to stablize it within his first year in office and this is eight uninterupted years. now we have yar adua, like father like son, he is here with electricity campaign. i think it is time we know them by their campaign topics.
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by Backslider(m): 10:54am On Apr 05, 2007
@Big B1

You are Much Loved by me. I am tired of the fake life. Nigeria is home. We can make it. We are so Ingenuous we can succeed. I know this for a fact. I am a Believer in Nigeria and I know we can make it.

Corrupt leaders or not corrupt leader we can make it.

Let us privatize with Nigerian Local Content.

YES THE RICH PEOPLE WILL SPEND THE MONEY IN NIGERIA AND WILL PROVIDE JOBS FOR THE MASSES. WE MUST BE OPTIMISTIC. IF THEY TOOK (STOLE) THE MONEY FROM US AND THEY ARE SPENDING IT ON US WITH A GOOD GOVERNMENT WATCH DOG AND COMPETITION WE WILL BENEFIT.

IT IS BETTER TO WORK WITH YOUR NEIGHBOR THAN TO WORK WITH SOMEONE YOU DON'T
Re: Nigerian Electricity Under Construction by BigB11(m): 3:47am On Apr 08, 2007
@Backslider, one love.

New development:
I was informed that NEPA has already been sold, and it was sold to just one entity.
I'm totally against this move (selling NEPA to an organization instead of 3 or more organizations is not the right strategy); I truly believe that this latest Federal Government move will only promote monopolization in Nigeria and this is the last thing we need at this time. The first priority of the FG is to protect the citizens of this great nation, but if this information is correct, I do not think this move will be beneficial to the citizens.
I was also informed that the big dogs behind the production and sale of diesel are not too happy about stabilizing electric supply in Nigeria.
As we all know, stabilizing electric supply in Nigeria also means the demand and supply of diesel/ generator units will decrease drastically.

FYI: This infomation has not been confirmed, but if you know something please do not hesitate to share.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos National Stadium To Be Named After M.K.O Abiola / Don’t Come To Jos, Police Warn Buhari / Nigeria And United Kingdom Working On Counter-Terrorism Strategy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.