Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,706 members, 7,823,990 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? (6073 Views)

Did "Jesus" Tell A "LIE"??? / Good Friday Crucifixion Of Jesus In Nigeria / From Disciples To Brethren (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by TayoD1(m): 6:47pm On Dec 20, 2007
@babs787,

You have never provided any proof but exposed the fraud in your bible. Now if you are saying that he was not referring to physical sword, why did he tell that it was ok when shown one?
Luke 22 v 38: Then they said: “Lord, look! here are two swords.” He said to them: “It is enough.”
What do you think he meant by 'it is enough'/ Was he not referring to the physical swords shown to him/ Common, you read to understand and not to argue blindly.
Now let's provide some answers to the riddle that is turning your beard grey. The first thing we need to look at is the phrase "it is enough". What does it betoken? The best way to know is to see how the same phrase is used in other places. Let's look at Mark 14:41 - And he cometh the third time, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough, the hour is come; behold, the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. It is clear from here that the phrase is just an expression to indicating that all things are already taken care of and needs no input from others. Otherwise, we might say that jesus statement ther is contradictory because on the one hand He said they should continue sleeping, and on the other He said "it is enough". The same phrase clearly shows also that Jesus wanted them to hold their peace, which is what He had in mind when the Disciples showed him 2 swords.

Now lets go to the Luke 22:
35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. 36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. 37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end. 38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough. Now reading through the entire verse, one can safely conclude that Jesus was talking to at least 70 Disciples becuase it was the 70 he sent out without purse and scrip and shoes. You will find the reference in Luke 10. Now it beggars belief to say that Jesus said 2 swords are enough when He just told each of the 70 to get a sword. How can the two be reconciled? The only way is if He was not talking about the same thing. Jesus obviously meant the Word of God when He talked about buying swords. Anyone who knwos the Bible know very well that the sword is interchangeable with the Word of God. And the fact that Jesus stopped Peter from bloodshed and even healed the man that was struck only supports this notion further.

And why would Jesus want to defend Himself when He said in the same passage that ALL that was written of Him concerning His death must come to pass? It is incredulous at best that the violent slaves of allah are so eager to pin Jesus and violence. All they need do is provide us one proof where Jesus killed anyone or even attempted to kill anyone. Chikena.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by babs787(m): 7:14pm On Dec 20, 2007
@Tayo-d

babs787,

I have helped you already to understand simple timeline from my response above. Jesus identified Himself to the troops only after Judas betrayed Him already with a kiss. That fact is very clear.

You havent but making obvious denial. The denial there was Judas leading them to where Jesus was. The arrest wouldnt have been possible if done in the presence of crowd but had to use Judas that knew when he would be lonely.

First you claim I should show you the scripture which I did. Instead of you to acknowledge the fact that indeed jesus does not need swords to defend Himself, you are claiming there is no way He could have defended Himself without His creator. If I may ask, is it not the same Creator who confirmed that Jesus willingnly submitted Himself to death on the cross by displaying such power that caused the entire troop to fall just by the spoken word of Jesus?

Brother, Why did he tell them that it was enough when shown the sword?
Jesus couldnt save himself hence his begging his creator and let me have the verses where the creator authorised his death by crucifixion.

He didn't rebuke Peter the same way He would not rebuke me today if I carry a gun around legitimately. I'll answer the questions about sword separately after this.

But why did he say it was enough when shown same when he wasnt referring to a physical sword?

If I should provide you with all the scriptures that showed Jesus expressly talking about His death and that He came to die, we would have to keep turning pages on this topic.

You may carry on please. I want you to know that he never bargained for crucifixion and if you think he did, let me have any of his prediction on death by hanging.

Again, your lack of knowledge of the Bible is evident from the statement.

Is that what you think/ How many years have you been reading the bible and I will tell you that I read it more than you do and I am still reading.

It is one thing to be killed and it is another to die at the right time. The right time was after the Garden of Gethsemane which is the only reason why Jesus gave Himself up to the troops.

No brother, he didnt give himself up willingly. Remember his prayer that should lift the cup from him and we learnt in another verse that 'the fervent prayer of the righteous availeth much'. God heard his prayer and couldnt allow him to die such a humiliating death. He didnt want to die, he positioned his dicsiples and tell them to keep watching the enemies. Lastly on the cross, he shouted, 'my God, my God, why has thou forsaken". To you, what does that means if he actually wanted to die?

Again, your ignorance of the scriptures shines through here. Jesus never cried 'why has thou forsaken me when the Jews wanted to kill Him. Rather, that statement was made on the cross after he was crucified by the Romans. And in any case, His statement of "Why has thou forsaken me" is what is called a rhetorical question. I trust you know what that means?

I dont and you may please lecture me on that. If he was willing to die and knew what he came to do, why did he shouted to God and cried 'my God, why thou forsakeen me/ What did God forsake him for? How could someone that knew his mission be shouting God forsaking him!!!

Again, you are going on rampage with ignorance here.

You are the one showing your ignorance and running away from the truth.

There are dozens of prophecies relating to Jesus' death and resurrection in the OT. Perhaps you want to start with the fact that His statement on the Cross of "why has thou forsaken me" is taken directly from the OT prophecy relating to Jesus in the Psalms. Maybe you should start from there.

You will be the third christian I will be asking this question. I asked cgift but no response yet and another chriatian. Please let me have the prophecy of his death, crucifixion and resurrecting after the third day from the OT.

Now let's provide some answers to the riddle that is turning your beard grey. The first thing we need to look at is the phrase "it is enough". What does it betoken? The best way to know is to see how the same phrase is used in other places. Let's look at Mark 14:41 - And he cometh the third time, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough, the hour is come; behold, the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

Brother, ma fi numi, mo mo je. Thou shall not lie or try giving the word of God another meaning. Why are you still denying the truth about the sword/ The verse should not be mistaken to be the same as that of Mark 14 v 41. Jesus told them to sell what they might be having and use it to buy sword.

But Peter showed and told him that he was having two swords.

Jesus after having been told of the physical sword with him, he said, it was enough.

Now, we all know that Jesus made the statement' it was enough' after being shown the sword and not your own roundabout argument. Jesus made that statement in relation to the sword he requested for.

In case you still missed, here it goes

38 Then they said: “Lord, look! here are two swords.” He said to them: “It is enough.”

They told him about the physical sword and he said that it was ok.

Now if he wasnt referring to the physical sword, he would have made it known from his response to he made to them when shown same.

It is clear from here that the phrase is just an expression to indicating that all things are already taken care of and needs no input from others.

Na lie. Read the whole verses again.

Otherwise, we might say that jesus statement ther is contradictory because on the one hand He said they should continue sleeping, and on the other He said "it is enough". The same phrase clearly shows also that Jesus wanted them to hold their peace, which is what He had in mind when the Disciples showed him 2 swords.

Dont bring that one here grin.

Let us re-read the verses again:

Luke 22v 36-38
36 Then he said to them: “But now let the one that has a purse take it up, likewise also a food pouch; and let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one.

He told them here to sell whatever they are having and buy sword.

38 Then they said: “Lord, look! here are two swords.” He said to them: “It is enough.”

They showed him the sword and he told them that it was ok.

Can anything be as clear as this?

Now lets go to the Luke 22:
35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. 36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. 37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end. 38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

l have highlighted the key words therein.

Now reading through the entire verse, one can safely conclude that Jesus was talking to at least 70 Disciples becuase it was the 70 he sent out without purse and scrip and shoes. You will find the reference in Luke 10. Now it beggars belief to say that Jesus said 2 swords are enough when He just told each of the 70 to get a sword. How can the two be reconciled? The only way is if He was not talking about the same thing. Jesus obviously meant the Word of God when He talked about buying swords. Anyone who knwos the Bible know very well that the sword is interchangeable with the Word of God. And the fact that Jesus stopped Peter from bloodshed and even healed the man that was struck only supports this notion further.

Haba brother, why these deception? Do you have your proof that he was talking to 70 people at that time and please why did he make the statement after he was shown the sword. If he was not referring to physical swords, he would have rebuked Peter for showing him that and trying to give his message different meaning because that is what you are trying to say now that he never meant that and if he didnt, he would have made reference to Peter showing him the sword and his replying him that IT WAS ENOUGH meant that his response was towards Peter's statement 'here are the swords'

And why would Jesus want to defend Himself when He said in the same passage that ALL that was written of Him concerning His death must come to pass? It is incredulous at best that the violent slaves of allah are so eager to pin Jesus and violence. All they need do is provide us one proof where Jesus killed anyone or even attempted to kill anyone. Chikena.

Was he willing to die and if he was, why the shout on the cross and the prayer at Gethsemane?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by dafidixone(m): 5:41pm On Jan 11, 2008
Please can someone tell me why Jesus told his disciples to sell what they have and buy swords? I think its in Matthew i read that!

Father lord! I pray that this ones may understand your word through an inspiration from you. Amen.

28Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations.

29And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

30That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

31And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

32But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

33And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death.

34And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.

35And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.

36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

37For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

38And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

39And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him.

40And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.

41And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,

42Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

43And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.

44And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

45And when he rose up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them sleeping for sorrow,

46And said unto them, Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptatio

I wish you would read the axact quote form this in King james version of the Holy Bible.

I want you to know something, "SIN is Poisonous" At this time in this Biblical account Jesus Christ has taken up the Sin of the World (of you and I) upon Himself as a Sacrificial life. ANd at this time God being too Holy to behold Iniquities isnot watching over His only son because of the Sin of the World He was carrying upon Himself.

At this time, flesh was trying to set in but Christ was too strong for the devil. He asked them to buy sword but you will see that when the disciples told Him they had two swords, He took control over the flesh and He said will two sword be enough?

If you read futher, He prayed in argony brought by the same flesh, but quickly He said Father Thy will be done. this was the begining of the Victory.

Having told you about this things I want to let you know if not that Jesus is truely the Son of God, at that momment He would have fall into sin.

The lesson here is that we Christain must know that, Flesh will always try to dominate our decisions about obeying God but through Christ we can overcome every temptation.

Should we need to throw more light on this ? grin point the areas. God is here already to inspire us all about His words.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by Horus(m): 3:04pm On Aug 04, 2009
Please can someone tell me why Jesus told his disciples to sell what they have and buy swords? I think its in Matthew i read that!

So what is the reason?
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by JeSoul(f): 3:37pm On Aug 04, 2009
Go and condemn the savage, barbaric acts of your fellow brethren here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-304903.0.html

. . . instead of resurrecting well-answered topics from two years ago.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by banom(m): 3:42pm On Aug 04, 2009
May be they needed the sword for robbery.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by Abuzola(m): 4:59pm On Aug 04, 2009
Jesus strategized to battle the roman army but on getting there, strategy fail because 500 soldiers versus 12 disciples is a must failure war and thats why he quickly put back the ear of the soldier peter slew. Hahaha i thought he said Prayer can move a mountain. What a fairy tale.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 04, 2009
Abuzola:

Jesus strategized to battle the roman army but on getting there, strategy fail because 500 soldiers versus 12 disciples is a must failure war and thats why he quickly put back the ear of the soldier peter slew. Hahaha i thought he said Prayer can move a mountain. What a fairy tale.

yeah . . . allah probably understood that suicide bombers, terrorism and boko haram could move mountains faster than meaningless arabic incantations.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by javalove(m): 11:02am On Aug 05, 2009
LMAO!!!!!

Men this thread has got to be the most interesting thread i v read in this section. . . Se as babs dey lecture dem sha and dem dey dribble. . .

Meeennn babs, may Allah reward u abundantly. . .

davidylan:

yeah . . . allah probably understood that suicide bombers, terrorism and boko haram could move mountains faster than meaningless arabic incantations.

wetin dey do dis one. . .
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by timmy7(m): 11:32am On Aug 05, 2009
Whc allah b dat or whc reward r u talking abt
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by dadde(m): 3:19pm On Aug 05, 2009
@babs787. Can you tell us in your own view why Jesus needed those swords. Pls your reason should have biblical or quoranic(if any) proves.

what this islimic apologist are trying to do is just to tie Jesus to violence. The whole world knows that mohammed is a blood thirty freek,that is why no other religiön (except islam) can recorn with him when peace is mensiond.

all muslims should cover their face in shame
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by dadde(m): 3:21pm On Aug 05, 2009
@babs787. Can you tell us in your own view why Jesus needed those swords. Pls your reason should have biblical or quoranic(if any) proves.

what this islimic apologist are trying to do is just to tie Jesus to violence. The whole world knows that mohammed is a blood thirty freek,that is why no other religiön (except islam) can recorn with him when peace is mensiond.

Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by olabowale(m): 4:20pm On Aug 05, 2009
@Davidylan: « #39 on: Yesterday at 05:24:57 PM »
What incantations?

@timmy7: « #41 on: Today at 11:32:36 AM »
Whc allah b dat or whc reward r u talking abt
Islam Allah. He says the work of believers will not go unrewarded.

@dadde
Thats not the responsibility of Babs787, to proof your Bible's veracity, reading hiding meanings to it. What is clear is clear. Jesus in the Bible said to his disciples, buy swords. They went and bought swords. Whats there to try to interprete aginst this very command and obey statements in the Bible?

what this islimic apologist are trying to do is just to tie Jesus to violence.
No muslim is trying to tie Jesus to any violence, other than what are recorded in the Bible: Physical violence visited on the "Money Changers when he was a little boy." At least it was a sign of temper tantrum. As an adult, he prepared, like Messengers and prophets of the Children of Israel before him, he acquired the best weapons at that time, swords, except that he did not have the conventional power to match; population. The only reason America has not tried to subdue China; shear population.

The whole world knows that mohammed is a blood thirty freek,that is why no other religiön (except islam) can recorn with him when peace is mensiond.
There are human expectations. The yoruba says only a fool will not get angry in extreme circumsatnces. If you push a coward to the extreme and have no way to avoid you, he may just turn to you and roar like a lion. A goat cornered may just turn and bite or head butt you. And even Jesus could not contain his preparedness, except that he was overpowered and Allah intervened for him.

Why? You coudn't even turn the other cheek on this one. So much for obeying Jesus. So much putting Bible into its actual practise.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by Horus(m): 7:25pm On Aug 05, 2009
A sword ? shocked This Jesus was calling for a holly war.
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by Abuzola(m): 8:07pm On Aug 05, 2009
What is sword meant for ? Cutting nails i guess. Lol
Re: Why Did Jesus Tell His Disciples To Buy Swords Before Crucifixion? by Omnivalent(m): 9:27pm On Dec 28, 2019
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Jesuit Oath That The New Pope Has Taken - Is This Biblical? / Mysterious Bones Discovered At Mowe. Fossil? (Pics) / Atheist Is An Open Declaration Of Evil Intent? Discuss?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.