Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,078 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. (716 Views)

If Most Nigerians Become Atheists,What Do You Think Will Happen? / Atheists, What's Your Opinion On This One? / Ex-christians Now Atheists, What Was The Craziest Thing You Did Out Of Faith? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by Martinez19(m): 7:55pm On Jul 08, 2018
Given the following:
1) you suddenly saw #547,000,000 in your bank account.
2) you can take the money secretly, no one will found, the money would be yours forever and there won't be any consequences.

Would you take the #547m or will you give it back to the rightful owner?
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by 1stola: 8:00pm On Jul 08, 2018
Martinez19:
Given the following:
2) you can take the money secretly, no one will found, the money would be yours forever and there won't be any consequences.

Senseless question

1 Like

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:04pm On Jul 08, 2018
Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 08, 2018
1stola:

Senseless question
Very senseless question.
Lazy youths everywhere... Smh

1 Like

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by festwiz(m): 8:11pm On Jul 08, 2018
I would give it back. I know I can't answer the tumultuous "how'd you get all that money" question.

I like my peace.
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by tartar9(m): 8:11pm On Jul 08, 2018
Why direct it specifically to atheists as if the average Christian won't pocket the money without giving a second thought.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by hopefulLandlord: 8:12pm On Jul 08, 2018
In a perfect world I'd definitely send it back, inafct the mistake of sending money to your account couldn't have happened in that world

But in this imperfect world, What I'd do is return it to the rightful owner but I'd make sure its the rightful owner I'm returning it to not a criminal who would take advantage of it like if you return found money to the Nigeria police you're just making who you handed over the money to rich as he's not the rightful owner and all they'll tell you is that they would return the money to whoever reports missing money but that's the end of it

For such a big amount of money like you stated its too big for you to even run away with as its close to $2M which means you can be rest assured it would be rectified unless it was intentionally put there by a generous person who just wanted to dish you such an amount and you can always trace such to the sender if you so desire

I'd wait for a few days to see if bank would contact me or rectify it. if they don't I'd presume someone really just sent me the money, although I'd consult my lawyer to find out the legality of my possessing the money to avoid legal troubles and if I'm in the clear its mine

Note that what you think you'd do when imagining such scenario and what you'd do if such scenario comes up might actually differ from each other

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by Martinez19(m): 8:18pm On Jul 08, 2018
tartar9:
Why direct it specifically to atheists as if the average Christian won't pocket the money without giving a second thought.
lol. I am an atheist. I am very aware of the hypocrisy of christians.
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by hopefulLandlord: 8:19pm On Jul 08, 2018
tartar9:

The average Muslim too wink

Infact the average human

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by Martinez19(m): 8:20pm On Jul 08, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
In a perfect world I'd definitely send it back, inafct the mistake of sending money to your account couldn't have happened in that world

But in this imperfect world, What I'd do is return it to the rightful owner but I'd make sure its the rightful owner I'm returning it to not a criminal who would take advantage of it like if you return found money to the Nigeria police you're just making who you handed over the money to rich as he's not the rightful owner and all they'll tell you is that they would return the money to whoever reports missing money but that's the end of it

For such a big amount of money like you stated its too big for you to even run away with as its close to $2M which means you can be rest assured it would be rectified unless it was intentionally put there by a generous person who just wanted to dish you such an amount and you can always trace such to the sender if you so desire

I'd wait for a few days to see if bank would contact me or rectify it. if they don't I'd presume someone really just sent me the money, although I'd consult my lawyer to find out the legality of my possessing the money to avoid legal troubles and if I'm in the clear its mine

Note that what you think you'd do when imagining such scenario and what you'd do if such scenario comes up might actually differ from each other
True. Sometimes we surprise ourselves.
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by Evangkatsoulis: 8:33pm On Jul 08, 2018
Martinez19:
Given the following:

If the money is not traceable. I won't return it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by 1stola: 8:52pm On Jul 08, 2018
DontBeStupid:
Very senseless question.
Lazy youths everywhere... Smh

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by johnydon22(m): 10:30pm On Jul 08, 2018
Martinez19:
Given the following:

I'm taking it.

Why?
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by johnydon22(m): 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Hapu all this long talk. His question was based on the assumption that you can hold the money if you wish easily. Forget ihe it can be rectified
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by Martinez19(m): 10:45pm On Jul 08, 2018
johnydon22:

I'm taking it.

Why?
grin grin grin so you won't give the owner? Na to start balling in Enugu be the way forward? grin
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by johnydon22(m): 11:08pm On Jul 08, 2018
Martinez19:
grin grin grin so you won't give the owner? Na to start balling in Enugu be the way forward? grin
You know it.

Which owner?

As owu dey blow me reach? Nonsense and ingredients angry
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by Martinez19(m): 11:18pm On Jul 08, 2018
johnydon22:
You know it.

Which owner?

As owu dey blow me reach? Nonsense and ingredients angry
grin
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by AgentOfAllah: 9:13am On Jul 09, 2018
Martinez19:
Given the following:

I agree with the assessment that this question does not convey any sense because it is not self-consistent. My reasons are laid out as follows:

(1) To suggest there would be no consequence, as the second clause does, implies that the sudden remission would neither have a positive nor a negative effect. In other words, no one will suffer any harm by the remission, and at the same time, the money won't be useful to anyone in any way. This is an absurd clause that immediately makes the question of no practical relevance.

(2) Let's say we address the absurdity with the axiom that "for every event, there is a consequence". We would then be able to reframe the second clause of the question with a more appropriate predicate; that is, there would be no NEGATIVE consequence. This then exposes the paradoxical nature of the question because there still remains the problem of certainty which is imposed by the second clause. Here, it is implied that the recipient is certain that there is an absence of harm. The only pathway through which this is humanly possible is if the previous owner voluntarily ceded ownership to me, the recipient, and made me aware of this concession. In this case, the question of returning it to its "rightful owner" makes no sense because I am now the rightful owner.

I see no other way through which my certainty of the absence of harm can coexist with the idea that I am not the rightful owner, but it is also possible that I may not have been exhaustive in my reasoning. So maybe op can make further clarifications.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by Martinez19(m): 9:24am On Jul 09, 2018
AgentOfAllah:

I agree with the assessment that this question does not convey any sense because it is not self-consistent. My reasons are laid out as follows:

(1) To suggest there would be no consequence, as the second clause does, implies that the sudden remission would neither have a positive nor a negative effect. In other words, no one will suffer any harm by the remission, and at the same time, the money won't be useful to anyone in any way. This is an absurd clause that immediately makes the question of no practical relevance.

(2) Let's say we address the absurdity with the axiom that "for every event, there is a consequence". We would then be able to reframe the second clause of the question with a more appropriate predicate; that is, there would be no NEGATIVE consequence. This then exposes the paradoxical nature of the question because there still remains the problem of certainty which is imposed by the second clause. Here, it is implied that the recipient is certain that there is an absence of harm. The only pathway through which this is humanly possible is if the previous owner voluntarily ceded ownership to me, the recipient, and made me aware of this concession. In this case, the question of returning it to its "rightful owner" makes no sense because I am now the rightful owner.

I see no other way through which my certainty of the absence of harm can coexist with the idea that I am not the rightful owner, but it is also possible that I may not have been exhaustive in my reasoning. So maybe op can make further clarifications.
Calm down. This philosophy is way too much. When I said "have no consequences", I simply meant no consequences to you if you abscond with the cash. You won't be caught and no one would know you stole the money. That's the meaning of the assumption.
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by dalaman: 10:03am On Jul 09, 2018
99 percent of people do things for fear of retribution not the other way round. If we will all get away with doing what ever we want 99%of people will violate laws. But the fear of being caught or facing retribution in what ever way is what makes people to be law abiding. That is what religion tries to tell people, that if they get away from the law there'a this invisible being that is watching you and you can't get away from him. All in an effort to make people do the right thing.

If nobody will know and I won't endanger anybody and myself by taking the money, why shouldn't I?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by budaatum: 1:28pm On Jul 09, 2018
Martinez19:
Given the following:

Silly, really. Ordinary, I'm walking down the street and find a 1000 Naira note. How many of us of any ideology would shout "na who get dis 1000 Naira!?"

If the money is in my account, I will leave it there unless in the imperfect world of your analogy 2) really applies. Though, how I would know it does confounds me. Do I get a note perhaps saying "no one will know if you secretly take the money" ? And what constitutes "secretly" ? And how the heck do I know the "rightful owner"? And why isn't the "rightful owner" asking for their money back?

After a while, like a few weeks, though I bet no more than 3 days, I'll take 10million. And if nothing happens, then 100 and so on until I have taken it all.

If some sort of guilt sets in, I might become a Christian just so I can ask for forgiveness, but trust that I would have made sure to have utilised a large portion of the money so that repentance does not mean paying it all back. I might move to a country that has no extradition rights with the country my account is in before that though. I am sure that when I am basking in the sun on an Hawai beach (if it has no extradition rights, mind, and I will check first!), remorse is the last thing I'd feel. If I do, a Pina Colada would quickly cure me of it!
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by budaatum: 1:36pm On Jul 09, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

What you think you'd do is different from what you'd actually do? What lies! What I'd actually do is exactly what I'd do once I get over the fear of being caught! Not many would consider not keeping the money. And even if I considered giving it back, it would be after negotiating a finders fee of 50% And that would be only because for some reason, my finders fee is not a hundred percent!
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by budaatum: 1:39pm On Jul 09, 2018
Martinez19:
lol. I am an atheist. I am very aware of the hypocrisy of christians.
Well, perhaps just be aware of the hypocrisy of human beings in future!
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by Martinez19(m): 1:45pm On Jul 09, 2018
budaatum:

Well, perhaps just be aware of the hypocrisy of human beings in future!
personal, I know that religion or no religion, most humans are deceitful, wicked and should never be trusted.
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by MuttleyLaff: 1:48pm On Jul 09, 2018
budaatum:
Silly, really. Ordinary, I'm walking down the street and find a 1000 Naira note.
How many of us of any ideology would shout "na who get dis 1000 Naira!?"

If the money is in my account, I will leave it there unless in the imperfect world of your analogy 2) really applies.
Though, how I would know it does confounds me.
Do I get a note perhaps saying "no one will know if you secretly take the money" ?
And what constitutes "secretly" ? And how the heck do I know the "rightful owner"?
And why isn't the "rightful owner" asking for their money back?

After a while, like a few weeks, though I bet no more than 3 days, I'll take 10million.
And if nothing happens, then 100 and so on until I have taken it all.

If some sort of guilt sets in, I might become a Christian just so I can ask for forgiveness,
but trust that I would have made sure to have utilised a large portion of the money so that repentance does not mean paying it all back.
I might move to a country that has no extradition rights with the country my account is in before that though.
I am sure that when I am basking in the sun on an Hawai beach (if it has no extradition rights, mind, and I will check first!), remorse is the last thing I'd feel.
If I do, a Pina Colada would quickly cure me of it!
Budaatum!
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by hopefulLandlord: 1:51pm On Jul 09, 2018
budaatum:

What you think you'd do is different from what you'd actually do? What lies! What I'd actually do is exactly what I'd do once I get over the fear of being caught! Not many would consider not keeping the money. And even if I considered giving it back, it would be after negotiating a finders fee of 50% And that would be only because for some reason, my finders fee is not a hundred percent!

What I mean is that how you'd think you'd do in theory might not be what you'd do if the situation really comes up. I spoke generally and not just restricted to the OP's question

for instance you'd hear someone say they'd run and tackle a shooter shooting up a school then say those that froze and didn't do anything while the shooter kept killing people are cowards. Such person calling others cowards may have frozen too if he were in that situation but sitting at the comfort if his own laptop with his heart pumping normally and his head totally clear made him think he would've been the hero. Some people that think they would've also frozen may actually develop the courage to tackle the shooter if the situation really comes up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by AgentOfAllah: 1:54pm On Jul 09, 2018
Martinez19:
Calm down. This philosophy is way too much. When I said "have no consequences", I simply meant no consequences to you if you abscond with the cash. You won't be caught and no one would know you stole the money. That's the meaning of the assumption.
Okay, this is a more concise formulation. In this case, it simply boils down to an examination of conscience. Absconding would be a haunting thought to me because of the uncertainty that doing so could be injurious to someone else. As I previously argued, there's no practical way to be certain of this without involving the consent of the initial owner. Whether or not anyone notices is immaterial.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by Martinez19(m): 1:59pm On Jul 09, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

What I mean is that how you'd think you'd do in theory might not be what you'd do if the situation really comes up. I spoke generally and not just restricted to the OP's question

for instance you'd hear someone say they'd run and tackle a shooter shooting up a school then say those that froze and didn't do anything while the shooter kept killing people are cowards. Such person calling others cowards may have frozen too if he were in that situation but sitting at the comfort if his own laptop with his heart pumping normally and his head totally clear made him think he would've been the hero
Eg. Those that once told themselves "no matter what happens, I will never commit suicide" and some years later things happened in their lives and they understood the state of mind of suicide victims.
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by HappyPagan: 1:59pm On Jul 09, 2018
Martinez19:
Given the following:

If you win a lottery, would you return the prize money?

Gonna spend that free cash like a bitch.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by hopefulLandlord: 2:01pm On Jul 09, 2018
Martinez19:
Eg. Those that once told themselves "no matter what happens, I will never commit suicide" and some years later things happened in their lives and they understood the state of mind of suicide victims.
that's an excellent example!
Re: Atheists, What Would You Do? Let's Be Sincere. by proudevil: 3:09pm On Jul 09, 2018
I will give it to the Nigerian police.

(1) (Reply)

You Should Be Able To Make Fun Of Religion / What You Need To Know About Psalm 151 / Are We Missing Something?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.