Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,587 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

Autism - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Autism (1123 Views)

Register To Attend The 5th Annual Gtbank Autism Conference / Down Syndrome, Autism....let's Discuss / Dyslexia, Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Brain Injury, Stroke And Hbot In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Autism by gem87(f): 5:52am On Mar 25, 2007
first of all, it's called autism not autistic,
Autism is characterized by impaired social interaction, problems with verbal and nonverbal communication, and unusual, repetitive, or severely limited activities and interests, the intensity varies from case to case.
it's sad though, poor Toni.
Re: Autism by Nobody: 5:56am On Mar 25, 2007
another american invention to over drug our children and keep doctors and pharmaceutical companies in business.
Re: Autism by gem87(f): 6:00am On Mar 25, 2007
no it's not it's just dat africa is a bit behind to recognize this as a serious issue, they prefer to stigmatise the family or blame people for it
u must agree that social interaction is necessary to achieve gud living and a lack of social skills affects the quality of life.
Re: Autism by Nobody: 6:06am On Mar 25, 2007
gem87:

no it's not it's just that africa is a bit behind to recognize this as a serious issue, they prefer to stigmatise the family or blame people for it
u must agree that social interaction is necessary to achieve good living and a lack of social skills affects the quality of life.

This is irrelevant. in what way has africa neglected to recognize autism as a serious issue? Can you conclusively describe he symptoms of autism?
Up till tomorrow, even US scientists can only speculate on what they think causes the "disease".

Have you heard of the restless legs syndrome? Another scientific invention to keep our doctors in business.
Have you heard of the newly manufactured disease "PMDD"?

What constitutes autism? What is the accepted standard for childhood behaviour? Why has Africa no recognised the "seriousness" of autism? Is it does not exist?
Re: Autism by gem87(f): 6:12am On Mar 25, 2007
I'm not saying americans don't make something out of nothing i'm just saying that autism is a serious issue and just because africa fails to recognise it, doesn't mean it's irrelevant, every psychological issue is not seen as relevant in africa until it becomes a psychiatric case.
Re: Autism by Nobody: 6:21am On Mar 25, 2007
gem87:

I'm not saying americans don't make something out of nothing i'm just saying that autism is a serious issue and just because africa fails to recognise it, doesn't mean it's irrelevant, every psychological issue is not seen as relevant in africa until it becomes a psychiatric case.

Africa fails to recognize what? This attitude we all get of Africa being a backward place and taking everything the white man says to be true hook line and sinker the minute we take a 12hr flight from Lagos to Europe is appalling.

The problem is the thin line between being healthy and having a medical problem has been so eroded that from the day we are born, we are being diagnosed of one ailment or the other whether we are perfectly healthy or not.
America and her European neighbours are falling daily into the trap of over diagnosis. Who is an autistic child? One who likes to stay on his own and makes very few friends? Since when did that become a disease?
What of children diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? What are the symptoms?
What of Attention Deficit Disorder? Is a child who is naturally restless and hyperactive automatically classified as having ADHD and promptly placed on a cocktail of medication?
Re: Autism by gem87(f): 6:26am On Mar 25, 2007
listen u're always looking 4 beef, and arguing unnecessarily, this thread is abt Toni and her autistic child,
how u feel about the americans and their invention of diseases is irrelevant in this case
I rep africa everyday everytime, my being in europe doesn't change that and whether u like it or not africa is still backwards in various aspects
this is a hierarchy thing, america identifies these problems because they are at a stage where they can do whateva they want
affrica has to make sure all her children have a chance at a better life before worrying about their social interaction skills
Re: Autism by Nobody: 6:31am On Mar 25, 2007
gem87:

listen u're always looking 4 beef, and arguing unnecessarily, this thread is about Toni and her autistic child,
how u feel about the americans and their invention of diseases is irrelevant in this case
I rep africa everyday everytime, my being in europe doesn't change that and whether u like it or not africa is still backwards in various aspects
this is a hierarchy thing, america identifies these problems because they are at a stage where they can do whateva they want
affrica has to make sure all her children have a chance at a better life before worrying about their social interaction skills

Stop saying absolute nonsense! If you are ignorant about an issue pls say so and stop using "arguing unecessarily" as an excuse. I took a few classes in autism so please i wont sit back and watch ignorant folks keep running off with the usual "africa is backward" nonsense as soon as they are fortunate to purchase a flight ticket.
Since you rep Africa everyday why dont you go back and help her children's social skills. Of people i dislike the most, hypocrites come top!

It is funny that you claim that America and her invention of disease does not affect the Toni Braxton case:
1. she's American
2. Autism today remains a hotly contested issue depending on which side of the prism you are looking at.

Anyway, i thought i was talking to an individual that was given to a little thinking. . . sorry to bother you.
Re: Autism by gem87(f): 6:43am On Mar 25, 2007
davidylan:

Stop saying absolute nonsense! If you are ignorant about an issue please say so and stop using "arguing unecessarily" as an excuse. I took a few classes in autism so please i wont sit back and watch ignorant folks keep running off with the usual "africa is backward" nonsense as soon as they are fortunate to purchase a flight ticket.
Since you rep Africa everyday why don't you go back and help her children's social skills. Of people i dislike the most, hypocrites come top!

It is funny that you claim that America and her invention of disease does not affect the Toni Braxton case:
1. she's American
2. Autism today remains a hotly contested issue depending on which side of the prism you are looking at.

Anyway, i thought i was talking to an individual that was given to a little thinking. . . sorry to bother you.

1st of all u're incredibly rude and i am definitely not ignorant or a hypocrite
if u knw so much abt autism den y on earth do u think it's one of america's means to drugn children n keep doctors n pharm firms in business?
besides i neva mentioned dat america's invention of diseases doesn't affect Toni or dat d causes of autism have been establishd.
finally, i am absolutely given to MUCH thinking - a fact u don't seem to realize or appreciate
aparently we're looking at d same thing but from diff. angles but u prolly think u know it all to accomodate some1 else's views and opinions
i'll desist from replying you any further because it doesn't change anything anyway and sorry to bother u too!
Re: Autism by Nobody: 6:52am On Mar 25, 2007
gem87:

1st of all u're incredibly rude and i am definitely not ignorant or a hypocrite
if u knw so much about autism den y on earth do u think it's one of america's means to drugn children n keep doctors n pharm firms in business?
besides i never mentioned that america's invention of diseases doesn't affect Toni or that d causes of autism have been establishd.
finally, i am absolutely given to MUCH thinking - a fact u don't seem to realize or appreciate
aparently we're looking at d same thing but from diff. angles but u prolly think u know it all to accomodate someone else's views and opinions
i'll desist from replying you any further because it doesn't change anything anyway and sorry to bother u too!

u're so ignorant you keep going round in circles and tripping your own feet. Rude to you? shocked You're just a 20 yr old kid! My youngest brother is way older than you. Pele grin

I dont know all about autism dear, but i know a bit to be aware of the fact that it is another case of over-diagnosis for thousands of poor kids who dont know left from their right and are at the mercy of pharmaceutical companies. Obviously YOU know very little so you assume you can just walk in here and spout nonsense about Africa being too bakward to recognise autism as a "serious issue"! I dont blame you, now that you have been fortunate enough to land in Europe you can now look down on the continent you claim to "rep everytime".

Each time i read your posts i get the increasing feeling we really are not looking at the same thing from different angles, you dont even know what you are looking at. Learn first before jumping, you just never know who is reading. The best you can do next time is to use google before you claim to be the fountain of knowledge on an issue. Trust me, know one will be able to guess.

By the way, welcome to the UK!
Re: Autism by gem87(f): 6:54am On Mar 25, 2007
:-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x
Re: Autism by 1k001(m): 4:30pm On Mar 29, 2007
Again davidylan is on somebody's case. Why do you go around picking on people. Granted you do appear knowledgeable on quite a few issues, but attacking people personally is not the way to go about it, at least not in my opinion. I get irked myself when people parade themselves as knowing a lot when they're in fact ignorant but haba relax.You should just state the facts and let the ignoramus choose to take them on board or not. Clear up misconceptions but don't start personal attacks please.
Re: Autism by gem87(f): 2:21am On Mar 31, 2007
So now what are we calling people names?
who's the ignoramus here?
Thanks for the back up anyways if it was well intended that is,

P.S: I definitely did not start this thread! What's with that?

(1) (Reply)

Typhoid / Doctor Jailed For Obasanjo's Death / Fennel Tea Wanted For Purchase In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.