Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,013 members, 7,835,435 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Why I Visited Buhari – South African President Ramaphosa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Visited Buhari – South African President Ramaphosa (530 Views)

Buhari: South-West People Would Have Been Trekking, If I Hadn’t Intervened / N3.9b Paris Club Refund For Salaries Was Released After Fayemi Visited Buhari / "Na Them Dey Rush Buhari": List Of Heads Of State Who Visited Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Why I Visited Buhari – South African President Ramaphosa by cruzzkhater(m): 9:41am On Jul 12, 2018
The South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa, who visited President Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja on Wednesday has given reasons for his first trip to the Nigerian capital.
Mr Ramaphosa, who addressed the press after the meeting, said his trip to Abuja was the first outside the Southern Africa region.
Mr Ramaphosa, who was the leader of the governing African National Congress (ANC) party, assumed office as South African president on February 15 following the resignation of former President Jacob Zuma.
He said he decided to visit Nigeria, first to send a signal that his government intends to pursue an Africa focused foreign policy.
“But in pursuing that African focused foreign policy, we would like to deepen our relationship with Nigeria, seeing that Nigeria is the most populous country on the whole continent whose economy is the largest on our continent,” he said.
The South African leader said it is important for the two countries to develop and deepen the relationship between them.
“Deepen them at a people to people level but also at an economy level and of course underpinned by good political relations between the two countries,” he said.
At the economic level, Mr Ramaphosa said various companies from South Africa are already doing business in Nigeria and are in a way “diplomats of our country.”
At the political level, he said he took advantage of the visit “to thank the people of Nigeria and the leadership of Nigeria over many years for the support they gave to our struggle.”
South Africa experienced long years of apartheid regime in which minority whites ruled over the majority black population, leading to long years of struggles.
The apartheid regime came to an end with a democratic election held in 1994, which saw the ANC under the leadership of late Nelson Mandela come into power.
Mr Ramaphosa on Wednesday said “today, we are a free and independent country and this is largely due to the support that we got from a number of countries around the world but more especially on the African continent.
“Nigeria which is six hours away from South Africa was proudly regarded as a front line state because it was really at the front line of our titanic struggle against apartheid.
“Nigeria and indeed Nigerians never flinched for a minute in support of our struggle. In fact Nigerians even took it a little further, President Buhari related that Nigerians through their households contributed money into the Organisation of African Union Fund to support the struggle against apartheid.
“So, I took time to thank President Buhari and Nigerians for the support that we received during our struggle”.
What we discussed
The visiting president also gave an insight of what he discussed with his host.
He said they decided to deepen the relations between the two countries.
“To this end, we are going to focus on the Bi-National Commission that was set up between our two countries and make sure that the place where it is elevated to at the president level, is where the action should happen,” he said.
He also said top officials from the two nations will further discuss the technical part of a number of things related to the Bi-National Commission.
He said ministers from both countries will work on the various areas needed to deepen cooperation through agreements.
He said after all that, another meeting will be held at the presidential level so that what should be signed by the two presidents will be signed and implementation carried out.
“In this regard, we will like to have our next Bi-National Commission in South Africa. I have invited President Buhari to come for a state visit later this year when our Bi-National Commission will then take place,” he said.
He also said the meeting exchanged views on a number of important economic matters, particularly with regards to the oil industry and how South Africa can be part of the whole process.
He said they also exchanged views on how to deepen trade between the two countries and a number of other areas.
“So, a

Re: Why I Visited Buhari – South African President Ramaphosa by OLORIPAPA: 9:43am On Jul 12, 2018
Ok
Re: Why I Visited Buhari – South African President Ramaphosa by Babiod: 9:49am On Jul 12, 2018
cruzzkhater:
The South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa, who visited President Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja on Wednesday has given reasons for his first trip to the Nigerian capital.
Mr Ramaphosa, who addressed the press after the meeting, said his trip to Abuja was the first outside the Southern Africa region.
Mr Ramaphosa, who was the leader of the governing African National Congress (ANC) party, assumed office as South African president on February 15 following the resignation of former President Jacob Zuma.
He said he decided to visit Nigeria, first to send a signal that his government intends to pursue an Africa focused foreign policy.
“But in pursuing that African focused foreign policy, we would like to deepen our relationship with Nigeria, seeing that Nigeria is the most populous country on the whole continent whose economy is the largest on our continent,” he said.
The South African leader said it is important for the two countries to develop and deepen the relationship between them.
“Deepen them at a people to people level but also at an economy level and of course underpinned by good political relations between the two countries,” he said.
At the economic level, Mr Ramaphosa said various companies from South Africa are already doing business in Nigeria and are in a way “diplomats of our country.”
At the political level, he said he took advantage of the visit “to thank the people of Nigeria and the leadership of Nigeria over many years for the support they gave to our struggle.”
South Africa experienced long years of apartheid regime in which minority whites ruled over the majority black population, leading to long years of struggles.
The apartheid regime came to an end with a democratic election held in 1994, which saw the ANC under the leadership of late Nelson Mandela come into power.
Mr Ramaphosa on Wednesday said “today, we are a free and independent country and this is largely due to the support that we got from a number of countries around the world but more especially on the African continent.
“Nigeria which is six hours away from South Africa was proudly regarded as a front line state because it was really at the front line of our titanic struggle against apartheid.
“Nigeria and indeed Nigerians never flinched for a minute in support of our struggle. In fact Nigerians even took it a little further, President Buhari related that Nigerians through their households contributed money into the Organisation of African Union Fund to support the struggle against apartheid.
“So, I took time to thank President Buhari and Nigerians for the support that we received during our struggle”.
What we discussed
The visiting president also gave an insight of what he discussed with his host.
He said they decided to deepen the relations between the two countries.
“To this end, we are going to focus on the Bi-National Commission that was set up between our two countries and make sure that the place where it is elevated to at the president level, is where the action should happen,” he said.
He also said top officials from the two nations will further discuss the technical part of a number of things related to the Bi-National Commission.
He said ministers from both countries will work on the various areas needed to deepen cooperation through agreements.
He said after all that, another meeting will be held at the presidential level so that what should be signed by the two presidents will be signed and implementation carried out.
“In this regard, we will like to have our next Bi-National Commission in South Africa. I have invited President Buhari to come for a state visit later this year when our Bi-National Commission will then take place,” he said.
He also said the meeting exchanged views on a number of important economic matters, particularly with regards to the oil industry and how South Africa can be part of the whole process.
He said they also exchanged views on how to deepen trade between the two countries and a number of other areas.
“So, a
xenophobia is a big issue overthere,I hope Buhari although dull reiterated that every Nigeria live matters but dem seeing all this fulani massacre all over the news.i sincerely hope they don't take it as a pinch of salt,their president condemning the act is a good act.atleast better than their former old fool.
Re: Why I Visited Buhari – South African President Ramaphosa by Mynd44: 9:57am On Jul 12, 2018

(1)

APC Leader Falls Off Two-storey Building, Dies / 2019: Why Northern PDP Must Produce One Presidential Candidate – Wike / APC Leading Aspirant In Osun, Oyetola Casting His Vote #osunapcdecides

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.