Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,615 members, 7,820,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? (14488 Views)

Did The Bible Really Say That A Woman Must Marry Her Rapist? / Hey Christians, How Much Can You Really Say To Defend Your Religion? / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Sman37(m): 9:41am On Jul 15, 2018
izzou:

Go to the dictionary.

Read up the meaning of the word JUDGE

Then come back and see it what you typed makes any sense
r is for t of tape = rapee and caught and if o+u+r pastor---- if we can't judge is what xtians practice why many churches here and oversea punished many thieves caught stealing from churchs and from their homes and shops hann?
I beg make wuna stop corruption, no wonder Ebele jothan said corruption is not a stealing/crime
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by henryobinna(m): 9:41am On Jul 15, 2018
very correct and well explained write-up of that ever misquoted and missunderstood verse of the Bible, even by unbelievers​ who've never read a verse of the Bible Before
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by alBHAGDADI: 9:41am On Jul 15, 2018
englishmart:
who made you a judge over others?
Are you a magistrate, or a village head, or a judge? Why would you even want to judge someone for something you are also guilty of
But you can judge when you are not guilty of the same sin.

It helps us all know what is wrong from right.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by ollah2: 9:41am On Jul 15, 2018
Jerrypolo:
A Christian thread on a Sunday morning with a Muslim OP.

This is how they come misquoting the Bible and deceiving the gullible. This same set of people you must swear before an Oracle to comment on their thread.

Christians need to wake up from this foolishness.

Easy with the hate. It will further consume you.

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by tempest01(m): 9:42am On Jul 15, 2018
B
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:42am On Jul 15, 2018
I agree with the op just that I have a few edits I'd like to point out.

you see, Christ came to deal with sin and not sinners.

if u understand this concept u r already half way there.!!!
the concept of sin is quite technical cos apart from the basic fundamental sins that tend to kill u spiritually(fornication, adultery, covetousness, perversion, Idolatery, etc) there exists other relative sins....

like when Moses decreed (as he was instructed to) the 10 commandments, Thou shall not kill was there abi? but several other people killed and it was not counted unto them as sin! look at the life of David, it was not stated explicitly tho but when fighting wars it is expected that you either kill or be killed. Cain killed Abel his brother and it was counted as sin, Moses killed also and it was not counted as sin....

take also lying, a lie is not necessarily fake news or opposite of truth..... half truths are lies, perverted truths are lies etc...

the concept of sin is very relative.

when Jesus said we should not judge, was he not aware that Moses judged and all other judges of Israel? was he telling us that all those judges were not from God? Even Jesus judged when he overthrew the money changer tables in the temple.

For us to understand the concept of sin in totality we have to first understand what MOTIVE is and it's major role in conceiving sin.

what was Cain's motive for killing Abel? what was Abraham's motive for lying that Sarah WASN'T his wife(i intentionally left out the fact that he actually told a half truth, Sarah was his sister kinda but that wasn't the question) ? what was Moses' motive for killing? what was David's motive for killing in wars? what was David's motive for killing one man and heaven was thrown in chaos?

I hope we are following? The misalignment from the ops post is innocence allows u judge!!! NO it doesn't!

all sin is sin, if u r not doing one and doing all others u r still sinning and that doesn't give u outright permission or justification to judge.

back to the matter.
for u to be allowed to judge someone u need to have the right motive. u need to judge the sin and not the sinner, embrace the message and not the messenger. Jesus is the message, all others propagating the message are messengers. (Tori for another day)
so when u judge someone's attitude, dressing or actions, do it with the intent of showing the person the negativity in the act and not the actor(which is the trend today).

if I continue with this lalasticlacla will have to beg me to start a thread cos this topic is too broad to explain with such a finite medium

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by alBHAGDADI: 9:42am On Jul 15, 2018
izzou:
grin grin grin

Should I tag this the dumbest explanation I have ever seen? grin

Don't judge anyone Oga. Simple

Which one be as long as you are not committing the same sin? undecided Rubbish

A thief will eventually go to hell. An adulterer will eventually go to hell. So what's the point of the thief judging an adulterer when both of them will eventually end in hell if they don't repent?

Don't judge anybody oga. Because you are not gay doesn't mean you will enter heaven. You and a gay might go to hell. That's the point
You are the one who has displayed dumbness not to have realized that the sermon is not about going to hell or heaven.

Pls go and read the OP again.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by khalhokage(m): 9:46am On Jul 15, 2018
"Christ didn't say we shouldn't judge. He only said we shouldn't judge if we know we are partaking in the same kind of sin."

This was where I stopped reading, you're just deperately trying to justify your vices.

Jesus said he who is without sin should cast the 1st stone, not he who is without the same sin.

As a human you have no right to judge another human, you're not omniscient only God is, don't presume to do his job for him.

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by alBHAGDADI: 9:46am On Jul 15, 2018
Jerrypolo:
A Christian thread on a Sunday morning with a Muslim OP.

This is how they come misquoting the Bible and deceiving the gullible. This same set of people you must swear before an Oracle to comment on their thread.

Christians need to wake up from this foolishness.
I am not a Muslim. Check my profile.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by alBHAGDADI: 9:50am On Jul 15, 2018
khalhokage:
"Christ didn't say we shouldn't judge. He only said we shouldn't judge if we know we are partaking in the same kind of sin."

This was where I stopped reading, you're just deperately trying to justify your vices.

Jesus said he who is without sin should cast the 1st stone, not he who is without the same sin.

As a human you have no right to judge another human, you're not omniscient only God is, don't presume to do his job for him.
Casting the first stone has to do with condemning, not judging.

If you had read the entire OP, you would have seen where I explained this your point, almost as if I knew someone would bring it up.

Ho and complete the OP
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by alBHAGDADI: 9:51am On Jul 15, 2018
ollah2:

Easy with the hate. It will further consume you.
The below verse needs your attention.

https://www.nairaland.com/4618381/verse-which-peoole-try-use
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by henryobinna(m): 9:51am On Jul 15, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

the concept of sin is quite technical cos apart from the basic fundamental sins that tend to kill u spiritually(fornication, adultery, covetousness, perversion, Idolatery, etc) there exists other relative sins....

like when Moses decreed (as he was instructed to) the 10 commandments, Thou shall not kill was there abi? but several other people killed and it was not counted unto them as sin! look at the life of David, it was not stated explicitly tho but when fighting wars it is expected that you either kill or be killed. Cain killed Abel his brother and it was counted as sin, Moses killed also and it was not counted as sin....

take also lying, a lie is not necessarily fake news or opposite of truth..... half truths are lies, perverted truths are lies etc...

when Jesus said we should not judge, was he not aware that Moses judged and all other judges of Israel? was he telling us that all those judges were not from God? Even Jesus judged when he overthrew the money changer tables in the temple.

For us to understand the concept of sin in totality we have to first understand what MOTIVE is and it's major role in conceiving sin.

what was Cain's motive for killing Abel? what was Abraham's motive for lying that Sarah WASN'T his wife(i intentionally left out the fact that he actually told a half truth, Sarah was his sister kinda but that wasn't the question) ? what was Moses' motive for killing? what was David's motive for killing in wars? what was David's motive for killing one man and heaven was thrown in chaos?

I hope we are following? The misalignment from the ops post is innocence allows u judge!!! NO it doesn't!

all sin is sin, if u r not doing one and doing all others u r still sinning and that doesn't give u outright permission or justification to judge.

back to the matter.
for u to be allowed to judge someone u need to have the right motive. u need to judge the sin and not the sinner, embrace the message and not the messenger. Jesus is the message, all others propagating the message are messengers. (Tori for another day)
so when u judge someone's attitude, dressing or actions, do it with the intent of showing the person the negativity in the act and not the actor(which is the trend today).

if I continue with this lalasticlacla will have to beg me to start a thread cos this topic is too broad to explain with such a finite medium
very nice, your explanation actually broadened my knowledge, thanks

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 15, 2018
Thank you brother. God bless you for the clarity

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Olatara(f): 9:57am On Jul 15, 2018
post=69394701:
YES, Jesus said so..... Luke 6:37.

Christ didn't say we shouldn't judge. He only said we shouldn't judge if we know we are partaking in the same kind of sin. It's the same as a thief judging a thief, or a rapist judging a rapist. If you are the type that loots company's money, you have no right to judge politicians who loot public funds because you are alike. If you open your mouth to state that a politician should be jailed for looting, then same will be your punishment for looting.

Hmmmm! Otoo lopa
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:57am On Jul 15, 2018
if u read the Bible like a story book then u can never gain any meaningful interpretation to its texts.

u need divine inspiration to understand what the Bible is all about..... hence all these several doctrines here and there......

it's quite unfortunate tho, I have a lot of mysteries to explain to you all, unfortunately there is not enough time.

like when the Bible tells us in Genesis that God told Adam and eve that if they eat the fruit, they will die........ Satan came and perverted the truth (a different sweetened rendering of the same instruction, just carefully structured to create the right kind of impression).

if u read the Bible like a story book it'll look like Satan was right..... But Adam and eve actually died because to God and the heavens..... death is not the destruction of our mortal bodies, it's a far much more devastating thing...... Absence of God in your life.....

immediately that happened God set a plan in motion to revive his creation.. albeit a long term plan.

to douse ur curiosity, we humans (spirit body) live forever. we only change planes dimensionally. we need this body to exist in this plane much like we need an astronaut's suit to survive in outer space.... though that's still on this physical plane

as difficult as this is to admit, it's the bitter and plain truth.... undiluted !!!
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by alBHAGDADI: 9:58am On Jul 15, 2018
izzou:

Go to the dictionary.

Read up the meaning of the word JUDGE

Then come back and see it what you typed makes any sense
What you are saying in essence is that we shouldn't have opinion, because that's part of the didn't consider meaning of the word Judge.

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by khalhokage(m): 9:59am On Jul 15, 2018
alBHAGDADI:
Casting the first stone has to do with condemning, not judging.

If you had read the entire OP, you would have seen where I explained this your point, almost as if I knew someone would bring it up.

Ho and complete the OP

I won't finish it, you're using semantics to console yourself.
What does a judge do after judging a case? He makes a pronouncement and condemns whoever he thinks is guilty.

As I said before, you have no right as a human to judge another, what you are supposed to do as a Christian is to show sinners the path to Christ.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Olatara(f): 10:00am On Jul 15, 2018
izzou:
grin grin grin

Should I tag this the dumbest explanation I have ever seen? grin

Don't judge anyone Oga. Simple

Which one be as long as you are not committing the same sin? undecided Rubbish

A thief will eventually go to hell. An adulterer will eventually go to hell. So what's the point of the thief judging an adulterer when both of them will eventually end in hell if they don't repent?

Don't judge anybody oga. Because you are not gay doesn't mean you will enter heaven. You and a gay might go to hell. That's the point
Are you gay?
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by tartar9(m): 10:01am On Jul 15, 2018
I'm still searching for where it says you shouldn't judge if you committed exactly the same sin undecided-your entire argument rests upon this.

Anyways,aren't you saying a court judge shouldn't,for example,judge a thief because he is secretly a thief
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by jnrbayano(m): 10:02am On Jul 15, 2018
Don't judge how people behave, correct the erring ones simple. Key word is CORRECT.

Learn from "The Parable of the Wheat and Tares"

Matthew 13:24-30
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 15, 2018
grin grin

The Op rants and curses daily on Nl threads but Knows Tonto Dike is living in sin, Wants to be patted on the head when he goes bashing tonto et al....

Talk of double standards!
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by alBHAGDADI: 10:04am On Jul 15, 2018
khalhokage:

I won't finish it, you're using semantics to console yourself.
What does a judge do after judging a case? He makes a pronouncement and condemns whoever he thinks is guilty.

As I said before, you have no right as a human to judge another, what you are supposed to do as a Christian is to show sinners the path to Christ.

Judging a case doesn't mean you have to do it like a court judge who pronounces condemnation. It is condemnation Jesus warned about when he said the person without a sin should cast the first stone. That's why being a judge in court is a huge task in life. You have to be sinless to make condemnation .

But to judge, you can cos it also means making a decision e.g right or wrong.

Now, how can you show sinners the path to God if you don't point out their wrongs? Pointing out their wrongs is judging them, but stoning them for that is condemning them.

How can you preach to the world if you can't tell it that it is sinful?
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by jnrbayano(m): 10:05am On Jul 15, 2018
obekediamondfuto:

back to the matter.

Abraham did not lie in those times with Ambimalek and Pharaoh.

Is Sarah not his sister?
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by alBHAGDADI: 10:06am On Jul 15, 2018
SonOfAfonja:
grin grin

The Op rants and curses daily on Nl threads but Knows Tonto Dike is living in sin, Wants to be patted on the head when he goes bashing tonto et al....

Talk of double standards!
Where have you seen me curse on nairaland?

You must have me mixed with someone else.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by aribisala0(m): 10:07am On Jul 15, 2018
Many forget that the New Testament was not written in English. It was written in Greek.

Jesus did not speak in Greek rather he spoke Aramaic

So any bible you read in English is two translations away from the original speaker

The word "Judge" has so many different meanings in English that in other languages would have different words.

For example one may
judge that it is safe to cross the road
One may judge that Sister Nkiru is a better Sister than sister Nonye
One may judge amala to be better than fufu

So when we talk about judgment we must also remember that the word has a latin root and is not an original English word.
Judgments come in many forms and are part of human life.

Certainly something is being misunderstood from the overtranslation

Therefore to understand the words one must go to the context.

Jesus was talking about hypocrisy a theme which was captured in the scene elsewhere when some people sought to stone a woman for adultery.
Judgment the way Jesus used it was to talk about those who condemn and seek to punish when they are not clean themselves and no one is clean. He was talking especially about punshment UNDER THE LAW .
He said he who is without sin should cast the first stone and they fled. At the time he made the statement about judgment he said remove the beam from your eye frst before the mote in your brother's eye

The message is very clear

No one is without sin of their own and therefore no one is qualified to judge another's sin. One may advise or correct but that is not judgment so the OP's exxample of correcting your children is not judgment.

He said " with what judgment ye jjudge ye shall be judged"

What does this mean?

Well what did he do to the adulterous woman?

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Again

" with what judgment ye jjudge ye shall be judged"

With what judgment did Jesus judge her?

So the word judge in the "Judge not" speech is about condemnation UNDER THE LAW.]

There are other meanings of the word judgment but when you say this person is going to hell because they are a thief the question is WHERE ARE YOU GOING? ARE YOU CLEAN

In that regard I must say that the OP has distorted the words to synthesize a needless argument

Anyway I have read the bible so many times and I remain devoted to

Ogun

Ogun Lakaaye Oshinmole
Irunmale ti n ru minini
Olomi n ile f'eje we
alaso ni ile fi imokimo bora

Ogun will bathe with my enemies blood before next Friday

3 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Nobody: 10:08am On Jul 15, 2018
It came at the right time. You made a coherent explanation on this issue of "judge not" even when Jesus Christ says in John 7:24
Do not judge by appearance, but judge with right judgement
some will still go ahead to say judge not.

Thank you for this thoughtful post.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:09am On Jul 15, 2018
I still see people going the wrong direction here....
peeps read and digest my write-up there.

so many mysteries..... Truly God's people are perishing in numbers for lack of knowledge.... when u come to an understanding of what this life is truly all about, u will be amazed at how u managed to survive in ignorance all these while.

for the Christians, study to show thyself approved. the same chapter of the Bible can generate millions of inspirations. even the same verse!

when Jesus to us that mere looking at a woman and harbouring carnal thoughts have already made one culpable, does that mean that we should not look at women again? NO, constructive admiration and visual self-sexual-sensual provocation are two distinct concepts.

some men today can look at a woman with X-ray eyes.... can u imagine?

MOTIVE is everything as regards the subject matter

hmmmmmph I just wish I had more time

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 15, 2018
blessed arth thou brother!
The issue is that the seemingly guilty are quick to quote those not holier-than-thou lines! I have always shied away from using that phrase "don't judge" vos I know its a wrong idea from most users perspective! perps who are quick to say font judge are perps who tends to be very unrepentant!
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by alBHAGDADI: 10:12am On Jul 15, 2018
tartar9:
I'm still searching for where it says you shouldn't judge if you committed exactly the same sin undecided-your entire argument rests upon this.

Anyways,aren't you saying a court judge shouldn't,for example,judge a thief because he is secretly a thief

3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye?
5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Did you read the verses above?

Now, if you see your son smoking, will you not caution him against such and tell him it is wrong? Yes you will.

Why not let him be since you do some other kind of sin?

We are not all perfect because we sin everyday and our righteousness is like filthy rags before God. That doesn't mean we can't correct each other. But when you smoke as well, you won't be able to stop your child because he is going to point out that you smoke too.

It's the same as trying to beat your child and he says you can only spank him if you are without sin. That measn all children will become spoilt rotten.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by anselm791(m): 10:13am On Jul 15, 2018
I'm going to judge you and your write up now; this is nonsense, can only come out from a nonsense person with a nonsense way of reasoning. try and have some sense please. thank you for letting me judge, it actually feels good.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:17am On Jul 15, 2018
aribisala0:
Many forget that the New Testament was not written in English. It was written in Greek.

Jesus did not speak in Greek rather he spoke Aramaic

So any bible you read in English is two translations away from the original speaker

The word "Judge" has so many different meanings in English that in other languages would have different words.

For example one may
judge that it is safe to cross the road
One may judge that Sister Nkiru is a better Sister than sister Nonye
One may judge amala to be better than fufu

So when we talk about judgment we must also remember that the word has a latin root and is not an original English word.
Judgments come in many forms and are part of human life.

Certainly something is being misunderstood from the overtranslation

Therefore to understand the words one must go to the context.

Jesus was talking about hypocrisy a theme which was captured in the scene elsewhere when some people sought to stone a woman for adultery.
Judgment the way Jesus used it was to talk about those who condemn and seek to punish when they are not clean themselves and no one is clean. He was talking especially about punshment UNDER THE LAW .
He said he who is without sin should cast the first stone and they fled. At the time he made the statement about judgment he said remove the beam from your eye frst before the mote in your brother's eye

The message is very clear

No one is without sin of their own and therefore no one is qualified to judge another's sin. One may advise or correct but that is not judgment so the OP's exxample of correcting your children is not judgment.

He said " with what judgment ye jjudge ye shall be judged"

What does this mean?

Well what did he do to the adulterous woman?

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Again

" with what judgment ye jjudge ye shall be judged"

With what judgment did Jesus judge her?

So the word judge in the "Judge not" speech is about condemnation UNDER THE LAW.]

There are other meanings of the word judgment but when you say this person is going to hell because they are a thief the question is WHERE ARE YOU GOING? ARE YOU CLEAN

In that regard I must say that the OP has distorted the words to synthesize a needless argument

gracias, u have a keen understanding as well.

I wanted to also point this out, that he was trying to rectify the perversions of the synagogue as at that time......

the renderings of the today's bible sometimes do not conform to the intent....
judge as used in that scripture was meant to signify condemnation.

stoning in itself is not judgement.... judgement is actually forming an opinion on whether something or someone is right or wrong..
now the punishment for everyone who violates is given in the constitution... which is different from judgement....

administration of the law/constitution is of the judge actually.... but judging someone in its simplest form is determining if someone is right or wrong

modified
I just saw where u said u worship ogun.

well, this is not the time nor the place. but I hope to see u someday and we'll have a nice lil talk about this.
Re: Did Jesus Christ Really Say We Shouldnt Judge Other People? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 15, 2018
alBHAGDADI:
Where have you seen me curse on nairaland?

You must have me mixed with someone else.

With the Landlord, tin-something and co....

But I think, you only want to be justified by people when you bash others. So for me it's not about judging or rebuking, what you want is the license to condemn, troll and bash at will, while people cheer you on.Live and let live

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

OPM Trains Members, Non-members For Free, Use Tithe Money For Sewing Machines / NAKED CHURCH UNVEILED, Opens Branches In Abuja, Lagos, P/harcourt / TB Joshua Didnt Foresee Atta Mills Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.