Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,129 members, 7,811,193 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse (2253 Views)

Honda Accord (EOD)2005 Gear Disengage While Still On Drive / Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse / Mazda MPV 4plugs For Sale 280k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by convenant15(m): 4:30pm On Jul 15, 2018
Pls help, i have a mazda mpv, yesterday i took it to a mechanic to help me change the engine oil and the radiator cos the radiator is leaking, after everytin, i decided to take off but the car does not select gear, if i put it in drive it will not move but if i press the accelerator it will move a bit and stop, it only engage in reverse, i dont knw wat to do, but it is still with the mechanic, he said he does not repair gear, any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by AutoElectNG: 4:33pm On Jul 15, 2018
Scan for codes brother
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by convenant15(m): 4:40pm On Jul 15, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Scan for codes brother
Av spoken with a mechanic, he said he will help me with it, just want to knw what might be the cause, is it the transmission or electrical, thanks
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by AutoElectNG: 4:42pm On Jul 15, 2018
convenant15:

Av spoken with a mechanic, he said he will help me with it, just want to knw what might be the cause, is it the transmission or electrical, thanks
I just told you where to start...a scan should answer that question
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by convenant15(m): 4:43pm On Jul 15, 2018
Ok thanks, i will get back on that
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by Mutemenot(m): 4:52pm On Jul 15, 2018
It's not far from gear. The fibre is gone so better start savings now. Meanwhile you can chexk if it's the engine oil.mechanic changed or he mistakenly change fear box oil

2 Likes

Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by AutoElectNG: 4:56pm On Jul 15, 2018
Mutemenot:
It's not far from gear. The fibre is gone so better start savings now. Meanwhile you can chexk if it's the engine oil.mechanic changed or he mistakenly change fear box oil

Worst case scenario OP may need to replace the transmission...which is it 2000/2001 or 2002 to 2006.

Your suggestion makes sense
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by EngRichie: 3:32am On Jul 16, 2018
The Mechanic may have mistakenly drained sufficient transmission oil before realizing but kept it to himself.
Check transmission oil level first.

I hope he remembered to connect the transmission oil cooler lines if he had to remove them and also did not cause sufficient fluid loss at that place.

EngRichie
For: Automobile Help Desk.
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by AutoElectNG: 3:47am On Jul 16, 2018
EngRichie:
The Mechanic may have mistakenly drained sufficient transmission oil before realizing but kept it to himself.

I hope he remembered to connect the transmission oil cooler lines if he had to remove them and also did not cause sufficient fluid loss at that place.

EngRichie

On point...I got into the business after so-called and well-renowned expert technicians repeatedly failed to connect transmission oil cooler lines and I grenaded three transmissions in tow, so I got into root cause analysis, I went over everything, and I then got my eureka moment

Second reason why I got into this business is I couldn't quite get it why replacing a transmission should mess up with the transmission electronics, so I went into root cause analysis mode and found out negligent repair total disregard and disrespect for electrical wiring harnesses subjecting the same to stresses they were not designed for causing them to fail

Needless to say, I got all the equipment and replaced the transmission at home the next time it failed and there is no going back for me since then

I have done lots of in-depth R&R that are I have decided not to put up here....but I had to narrate this...technicians are not infallible, they make mistakes and the sooner we live with that fact and take that into cognizance in our dealings with them, the better for all concerned.

God alone knows how many have suffered and paid for the mistakes of technicians...now owner is going to pick the tab...that you can point to this as a possible cause-and-effect makes me respect you the more!
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by EngRichie: 5:46am On Jul 16, 2018
AutoElectNG:

On point...I got into the business after so-called and well-renowned expert technicians repeatedly failed to connect transmission oil cooler lines and I grenaded three transmissions in tow, so I got into root cause analysis, I went over everything, and I then got my eureka moment

Second reason why I got into this business is I couldn't quite get it why replacing a transmission should mess up with the transmission electronics, so I went into root cause analysis mode and found out negligent repair total disregard and disrespect for electrical wiring harnesses subjecting the same to stresses they were not designed for causing them to fail

Needless to say, I got all the equipment and replaced the transmission at home the next time it failed and there is no going back for me since then

I have done lots of in-depth R&R that are I have decided not to put up here....but I had to narrate this...technicians are not infallible, they make mistakes and the sooner we live with that fact and take that into cognizance in our dealings with them, the better for all concerned.

God alone knows how many have suffered and paid for the mistakes of technicians...now owner is going to pick the tab...that you can point to this as a possible cause-and-effect makes me respect you the more!

Thanks a lot. I eye your valuable contributions also especially technical analysis.
Best wishes.
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by Kashif(m): 8:58am On Jul 16, 2018
convenant15:
Pls help, i have a mazda mpv, yesterday i took it to a mechanic to help me change the engine oil and the radiator cos the radiator is leaking, after everytin, i decided to take off but the car does not select gear, if i put it in drive it will not move but if i press the accelerator it will move a bit and stop, it only engage in reverse, i dont knw wat to do, but it is still with the mechanic, he said he does not repair gear, any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Tell your mechanic to carefully inspect his job and see what he failed to reconnect after the job, or disturbed during the job.
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by Kashif(m): 9:03am On Jul 16, 2018
EngRichie:

EngRichie

If fluid loss is the issue, he should not have reverse also; given that reverse always demands higher pressure.

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by AutoElectNG: 9:14am On Jul 16, 2018
Your headline is Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse

When you say "select" are you referring to its not moving forward only?

OR TO/AND OR what is happening on the instrument cluster?

How about what is showing on the dashboard instrument cluster?

Does the gear lever select all the possible positions?

P R N D 1 2

No double selections? i.e., boxes around multiple gear positions

such as P and R at the same time?

Or N and D at the same time?

Or D and 1 at the same time?

See thread on how to describe an automotive problem properly: https://www.nairaland.com/4617920/how-california-ensures-sanity-automotive#69404349
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by convenant15(m): 10:40am On Jul 16, 2018
Thanks all for your suggestions, i topped the transmission oil, later it started working again.
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by AutoElectNG: 10:44am On Jul 16, 2018
convenant15:
Thanks all for your suggestions, i topped the transmission oil, later it started working again.

What is the connection between engine oil change and transmission oil shortage?

If not tampering, a vehicle goes in with no transmission problems but comes out with transmission trouble when there was no job order with respect to the transmission, my brother if I were in your shoes, I would begin to have second thoughts about my choice of technician

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by convenant15(m): 10:48am On Jul 16, 2018
AutoElectNG:

If not tampering, a vehicle goes in with no transmission problems but comes out with transmission trouble when there was no job order with respect to the transmission, my brother if I were in your shoes, I would begin to have second thoughts about my choice of technician
he said there was a leakage while fixing the radiator
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by Kashif(m): 4:04pm On Jul 16, 2018
convenant15:

So why didn't your mechanic check something as basic as atf before telling you he does not fix gears? angry
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by diportivo: 7:31pm On Jul 16, 2018
AutoElectNG:

convenant15:
Pls help, i have a mazda mpv, yesterday i took it to a mechanic to help me change the engine oil and the radiator cos the radiator is leaking

oga rewire,calm down and read na.... OP already stated a job that can cause loss of ATF.

the mechanic is a slowpoke tho....

or,he needs some money and decided to play a fast one on the op grin
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by AutoElectNG: 7:37pm On Jul 16, 2018
diportivo:

My point is simple...since he knew some transmission oil had leaked...why didn't he try that first,why did he say that there is a gear problem needing to be solved, I was thinking either internal transmission faults or external wiring issues, the neutral safety switch is quite close to one of the radiator hoses, it is not water proof, so that was the path I was leading him to only to learn that it was a case of fluid loss, wasn't he aware of it in the first place, why the alarm and scare except he was being mischievous or at his wits end, which puts a question mark on his competence
Re: Mazda Mpv Does Not Select On Drive But Engage Well On Reverse by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:37pm On Jul 16, 2018
Kashif:

So why didn't your mechanic check something as basic as atf before telling you he does not fix gears? angry

the boss, na xo oh.....
immediately I saw the thread, I already knew how I'd go about troubleshooting this kinda issue.

radiator was changed, engine oil was also changed....
I'd have started there immediately to check gear fluid level.....

u see, these kazeems don't know the difference between gear fluid and engine oil.... I'm sure it wasn't just a mistake, it was a deliberate mistake.....

maybe the boy that was sent to drain oil... immediately he saw oil from the oil cooler line after radiator was removed and decided to drain the remaining oil.

probably the oga got to know after but refused to take the blame, hence the tranny change option.

If I narrate my experience at naze mechanic village, where a Kazeem messed up an 08 Camry and the owner was later forced to sell the car to this same kazeem ehn, u go just weep for the nation.

PS this also happens in the medical world

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Most Expensive Cars In The World: Top 5 List 2013 (photo) / Mercedes-benz Ml 350 (2006-2010 Model) / I Am Hoping To Buy My First Car With A Budget Of #1m To #2.5m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.