Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,853 members, 7,817,525 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA (39129 Views)

119 Villages Abolish Osu Caste System Practice In Nsukka / Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System / Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Westbestside: 11:57pm On Jul 18, 2018
baddosky1:

Igbos have never been cannibals before and the corpse water drinking has been abolished too!

Look for another line! tongue
Lol, see this one, Go and tell ngwa people how they like human flesh. You say werin, abolish wetting. How and when did you think I knew about such barbaric tradition in igbo land. You can keep deceiving yourself here on nairaland.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Teacher1776(m): 4:24am On Jul 19, 2018
ikennaf1:
One of the disadvantages of Christianity at the time. The people regarded as osu are just people who devoted themselves and family and future families to the worship of a fetish deity.... mostly due to safety reasons or hunger.

Due to influx of Christianity at the time, those people were therefore declared outcasts. They and their descendants. It's all shades of wrong. Whatever one does in a bid to protect himself, he should not be judged for it. During the civil war, a whole community dedicated themselves to a deity when their community fell to Nigerian soldiers. They shouldn't be judged for it, but they are. Religion is not hypocritical but it turns on the hypocrisy in us.

Christianity didn't declare them as outcasts... it was the hypocrisy in humans that did.

As a matter of fact, most Nigerian Christians will want to distance themselves from people whose families are said to have dedicated themselves to one deity or the other.
I don't think you have the correct version of what the osu caste system is.. I first read about it in chinua achebe's Things Fall Apart. It is not entirely about Christianity and paganism. It is mainly about freeborns and slaves. It is quite complex.
Do more research on the subject matter please.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by laliga01: 7:28am On Jul 19, 2018
KillaBeauty:
What a joke! It might be abolished but trust Igbo people to still subconsciously practice it. The Indians abolished their own caste system and infact made it illegal many years ago but till today, people are still treated according to the caste system they belong to. Let a “free born” first try and get married to a person that is an osu, you’d see how the free born’s whole family will kick against it. Abolished my yansh grin

Give change a chance baby.
There is no harm trial.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by baddosky1: 7:38am On Jul 19, 2018
Westbestside:
Lol, see this one, Go and tell ngwa people how they like human flesh. You say werin, abolish wetting. How and when did you think I knew about such barbaric tradition in igbo land. You can keep deceiving yourself here on nairaland.

Because that is what your parents told you! But day in and day out, we see the atrocities committed by gbegiri guzzlers a.k.a sophisticated m0rons on the pages of the newspapers and the internet.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 19, 2018
Westbestside:

Is that all you know?
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Westbestside: 8:07am On Jul 19, 2018
[s]
baddosky1:

Because that is what your parents told you! But day in and day out, we see the atrocities committed by gbegiri guzzlers a.k.a sophisticated m0rons on the pages of the newspapers and the internet.
[/s]Oga ade, my parents never been to igboland, I was the one that have been there. I saw the tradition with my eyes. No amount of shout can cover all that sheat. Even chioma my gf told me about such barbaric tradition which she never knew I know of. I served in eastern part of Nigeria, so I saw it with my eyes. Leave innocent parent out of it. They careless of your existence. You are hyperventilating, if you are not doing such barbaric tradition, it won't pain you this way. Being a 21st century idiots can deal with your brain. That your sister really gave you perfect description. 21st century idiot grin

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by adecz: 8:17am On Jul 19, 2018
Fianze93:

Your last paragraph is a fat lie... I'm Igbo and I dine and sleep in the house of a lot of Ọsụ friends that I have... And my family knows about it.

In all sincerity, the only thing I have been 'indirectly' warned against is marriage to an Osu. The warning wasn't from my father... But from my paternal grandmother, who is a core Igbo traditional religion member. And I believe most non osu's have been warned directly or indirectly against intermarriage...

As for my maternal home, being good Christians with an Anglican Archdeacon(Priest) as the oldest man and several other priest as members of the extended family... They give no f*ck about the caste system... There are Atleast one of my mothers 2nd cousin who is married to an Osu.

I am made to understand that when
any of your family or extended family marries
an Osu, it automatically turns you all
to Osu.

Correct me if I'm right.

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by baddosky1: 8:22am On Jul 19, 2018
Westbestside:
[s][/s]Oga ade, my parents never been to igboland, I was the one that have been there. I saw the tradition with my eyes. No amount of shout can cover all that sheat. Even chioma my gf told me about such barbaric tradition which she never knew I know of. I served in eastern part of Nigeria, so I saw it with my eyes. Leave innocent parent out of it. They careless of your existence. You are hyperventilating, if you are not doing such barbaric tradition, it won't pain you this way. Being a 21st century idiots can deal with your brain. That your sister really gave you perfect description. 21st century idiot grin

So you mean you actually passed through the four walls of a university and still have a horrible English lexis based on your structure of words? You are representation of what the South-Waste educational system is. Now tell me son...who is the idiot here? cheesy
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Geesaintagape: 8:26am On Jul 19, 2018
People of Ukwani in delta igbo still practice OSU caste system in marriage n leadership.
Igbos have deep rooted problem

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by bigfrancis21: 9:00am On Jul 19, 2018
Geesaintagape:
People of Ukwani in delta igbo still practice OSU caste system in marriage n leadership.

Ishilove please can you verify this?
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Ishilove: 10:25am On Jul 19, 2018
bigfrancis21:

Ishilove please can you verify this?
I am shocked, nay, mortified at such a dangerously bold and recklessly reckless lie. Hian
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Ishilove: 10:26am On Jul 19, 2018
Geesaintagape:
Pray tell, which parts of Ukwuani land practice Osu system? shocked embarassed
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by baddosky1: 11:34am On Jul 19, 2018
[s]
mercyville:

Continue to hide behind your index finger.
Cannibalism,OSU and anything that has to do with human skull and flesh are all cultures of the Igbos.White missionaries confirmed these in the 'history of the Igbos '...Among the Ibos of Nigeria...
Excerpt:

THE IBO COUNTRY 39

sionary, in order that he might receive instruction. In
the course of his remarks he solemnly asserted that it
would be of great benefit to his son if he were provided
with human flesh sometimes as part of his diet. He
maintained that, if this were done, a proper man's spirit
would develop in the lad.

The Royal Niger Company concluded many treaties with
native chiefs and kings during their period of administra-
tion of the country. By these treaties certain rights were
conceded to the Company, and they in return, granted
among other considerations, a promise of protection.
The people of Awkuzu had ever been a truculent crowd,
and raided not only on their own account but went further,
and procured bands of Abams to assist them in their
predatory excursions. An appeal to the Company for
protection was made by a town in the neighbourhood, and
in due course troops were dispatched to cool the ardour
of the disturbers of the peace.

The majority of the carriers employed for the soldiers
were Onitsha men, and this is the story related concerning
some of them. After some preliminary fighting, the
troops entered Awkuzu and settled into camp. When all
was apparently quiet a party of carriers considered the
time was opportune for them to secure their share of the
loot, and they went away bent on plunder. But the Awku-
zus were wily men. They had anticipated the move and
had planned a deliberate trap for possible looters. Some
goats were placed in one of the compounds and the Awku-
zus secreted themselves in the neighbourhood. Presently
the gang of carriers arrived, attracted by the goats, and
they walked right into the ambush. Some fought their
way back to camp, but seventeen were left dead or alive,
in the hands of the Awkuzu braves. The story is that of
these the dead were eaten first, and later the wounded
followed the fate of their comrades. Those who were
uninjured were trussed up like fowls, and in this way kept
until required.

Towards the south, cannibal tendencies assumed a
worse aspect. All that has been said hitherto relates to
the prevalent custom of feasting upon captives taken in

40 THE 1BO COUNTRY

war. In the southern districts a regular traffic in human
flesh was carried on. Strangers were caught, or slaves
purchased, with the deliberate intention of converting
them into food. Human flesh was a marketable com-
modity, and a common article of diet. It is not long
since a certain chief managed to get possession of one of
his opponents against whom he had a grudge of long
standing. He derived satisfaction from first lopping off
the captive's ears and nose, and then flaying him alive.
The carcase was eaten and the skin converted into a drum-
head.

There is not a shadow of doubt that, could the history
of the Ibo country be clearly traced, a host of suchlike
stories would have to be recorded. I have become ac-
quainted with many erstwhile cannibals, and quite good-
natured folk most of they are. One week-end I was stay-
ing at a town a few miles S.E. of Onitsha. My quarters
were very circumscribed, the only accommodation available
being a tiny thatched lean-to shed against the compound
wall, usually occupied by the goats and fowls. My boys
and carriers shared the limited accomodation, lying at
night alongside the camp-bed. After the evening meal,
we settled down for the night, long before our customary
bedtime ; consequently the men chattered freely. Pre-
sently I became interested in the conversation, and
amongst other items of news, gathered that they had all
had a share in cannibal feasts.
[/s]

You are bringing out ancient outdated articles from an archive! What about Adeyemi Alao who used his girlfriend for rituals and buried her under his bed about a week ago? Your people are savages who are lazy and believe that wealth is acquired from fetish means such as money rituals and dismembering human parts! cheesy

Hide your face in shame!! embarassed embarassed

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by olowobaba10: 12:38pm On Jul 19, 2018
ikennaf1:
One of the disadvantages of Christianity at the time. The people regarded as osu are just people who devoted themselves and family and future families to the worship of a fetish deity.... mostly due to safety reasons or hunger.

Due to influx of Christianity at the time, those people were therefore declared outcasts. They and their descendants. It's all shades of wrong. Whatever one does in a bid to protect himself, he should not be judged for it. During the civil war, a whole community dedicated themselves to a deity when their community fell to Nigerian soldiers. They shouldn't be judged for it, but they are. Religion is not hypocritical but it turns on the hypocrisy in us.

Christianity didn't declare them as outcasts... it was the hypocrisy in humans that did.

As a matter of fact, most Nigerian Christians will want to distance themselves from people whose families are said to have dedicated themselves to one deity or the other.

STOP THIS FALLACY AND GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT, CHRISTIANS WERE THE FIRST PEOPLE TO EMBRACE
THE SO CALLED OSU PEOPLE, BROUGHT THEM INTO THE CHURCH AND INTEGRATED WITH THEM TO THE DISAPPROVAL OF TRADITIONAL WORSHIPERS.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Geesaintagape: 1:31pm On Jul 19, 2018
Teacher1776:

I don't think you have the correct version of what the osu caste system is.. I first read about it in chinua achebe's Things Fall Apart. It is not entirely about Christianity and paganism. It is mainly about freeborns and slaves. It is quite complex.
Do more research on the subject matter please.
Yes exactly
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by africanusvu(m): 1:51pm On Jul 19, 2018
Hope the king is ready to face the gods and ancestors? This is easier said than done so far Igbo land is concerns. Eze uchegi dikwaya
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by mercyville: 5:59pm On Jul 19, 2018
baddosky1:
[s][/s]

You are bringing out ancient outdated articles from an archive! What about Adeyemi Alao who used his girlfriend for rituals and buried her under his bed about a week ago? Your people are savages who are lazy and believe that wealth is acquired from fetish means such as money rituals and dismembering human parts! cheesy

I thought you said cannibalism is not your culture.. grin

2 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by mercyville: 6:02pm On Jul 19, 2018
baddosky1:
[s][/s]

Igbos and skulls are like 1&2.No wonder they exported it to other regions like SW grin

2 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by mercyville: 6:12pm On Jul 19, 2018
africanusvu:
Hope the king is ready to face the gods and ancestors? This is easier said than done so far Igbo land is concerns. Eze uchegi dikwaya

Shut up! Which foolish gods?All these barbarian cultures should be done away with because they have further stagnated the blacks.Even the foolish Oro they occasionally do in Lagos and a few Yorubaland.

2 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by baddosky1: 8:24pm On Jul 19, 2018
mercyville:

Igbos and skulls are like 1&2.No wonder they exported it to other regions like SW grin

Yoruba and r@pe, hired killing, skull mining and internet fraud are like 5&6. No wonder they export it to other countries like UK and US.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7388499_ycrime_jpeg7452c1618eb17775440b914c2eebd42d

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7322449_cdatausersdefappsappdatainternetexplorertempsavedimagesajenifuja_jpeg89aa23ecf602c573722ca30a8165a2c0
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Westbestside: 7:37am On Jul 20, 2018
baddosky1:

So you mean you actually passed through the four walls of a university and still have a horrible English lexis based on your structure of words? You are representation of what the South-Waste educational system is. Now tell me son...who is the idiot here? cheesy
Lol, every attempt to divert from the point in of discussion won't work. I know 21st century idiots have no sense. They will talk of your English but won't ever try to do the correction to show how they are good in their own aba made English. All these south least people eh. Drinking corpse water is a serious issue grin. Oga ade, go and ask your sister that gave you and your lineage the perfect name. 21st century idiot. grin
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Iamdeagle: 8:45am On Jul 20, 2018
[left][/left][s][/s]
ikennaf1:

Osu has nothing to do with Christianity. It existed before the missionaries came to Igboland.

They are a group of people or families dedicated to serve the gods. This responsibility is passed on down generations. It's like the Levites in the Bible times.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by baddosky1: 10:00am On Jul 20, 2018
Westbestside:
Lol, every attempt to divert from the point in of discussion won't work. I know 21st century idiots have no sense. They will talk of your English but won't ever try to do the correction to show how they are good in their own aba made English. All these south least people eh. Drinking corpse water is a serious issue grin. Oga ade, go and ask your sister that gave you and your lineage the perfect name. 21st century idiot. grin

It's not my duty to correct you! Come to the South East which is known for their outstanding performance in SSCE and JAMB examinations and enroll for Primary School lessons all over again. At least we'd be sure that you won't finish with an oluwole certificate like Thief-nubu and oluwole discharge certificate like Kemi Ode-osun who you scoundrels from the south-waste compare to Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala who just got appointed in the board of Twitter after many numerous awards and recognitions internationally grin

But just promise you won't go there and start mining skulls or rape children like your savage ancestors and relatives. grin grin
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by MiriamMoney(f): 9:41pm On Jul 21, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
who's this awa? I guess that's why you are not married yet, because you're an osu
First of all, I am a freeborn, full one o! My grandad got the highest title of 'ozo' before his demise.
Secondly, I'm a Christian and there is no slave in Christ.

I'm 22, very much young for marriage. Marriage will come but, I have a lot to do before then.
Your sisters, cousin and even your mother that is married, how are their lives?
I'm sure no one will even agree to marry you because of your very distasteful character. Aturu!
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jul 21, 2018
MiriamMoney:

First of all, I am a freeborn, full one o! My grandad got the highest title of 'ozo' before his demise.
Secondly, I'm a Christian and there is no slave in Christ.

I'm 22, very much young for marriage. Marriage will come but, I have a lot to do before then.
Your sisters, cousin and even your mother that is married, how are their lives?
I'm sure no one will even agree to marry you because of your very distasteful character. Aturu!
you're 22 with this your old face.

I pity you, freeborn my foot, we know what you and your Eastern sisters do for a living "ashi that's what you're
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by MiriamMoney(f): 10:18pm On Jul 21, 2018
Princeofnigeria:

I pity you, freeborn my foot, we know what you and your Eastern sisters do for a living "ashi that's what you're

� You're just plain pathetic! And if I have never prostituted in my life, may you never see the end of 2018, Amen!

Your mother will be 'proud'.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by MiriamMoney(f): 10:26pm On Jul 21, 2018
Princeofnigeria:

You're just plain pathetic! And if I have never prostituted or anything of sort, may you never see the end of 2018.

Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jul 21, 2018
MiriamMoney:

You're just plain pathetic! And if I have never prostituted or anything of sort, may you never see the end of 2018.

you'll never see the end this very month
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 22, 2018
Princeofnigeria:

Mr respect urself....Is very pathetic u bounding words with a lady.
Re: Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA by MiriamMoney(f): 7:39pm On Jul 23, 2018
Princeofnigeria:
I agree, that is if I have ever prostituted or a prostitute.
If not, you life will be miserable. You will be involved in a fatal accident that will destroy your manhood for life! No jokes!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife, His Wife And High Chiefs Worship At A Church In Canada. Photos / Obi Of Onitsha: I Was Saved From Attacked Train Through Phone Call / Nigerian Doll Created By Taofik Okoya Now Outselling White Dolls Barbie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.