Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,077 members, 7,838,718 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Self Righteousness Means What To U In The Light Of The Christian Holy Scripture? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Self Righteousness Means What To U In The Light Of The Christian Holy Scripture? (795 Views)

12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today / The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria / Scripture Library: Scriptures from the Bible and their meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Self Righteousness Means What To U In The Light Of The Christian Holy Scripture? by chinedumo(m): 2:16pm On Jun 14, 2010
I have cause to ask this question cos i have come to notice a discrepancy in the meaning and use of phrase "self righteousness". so lets start with what it means to u or what it ought to mean or even what it meant to u i.e what u thought it meant. after that then This is where my grievance goes to. When someone is making effort to be holy, dedicated, serious in the things of God, allows the LORD to use him and flow through him, doing the work of the ministry and edify the body of Christ. when he find himself among luckworm nominal "sunday sunday" christians, they count his as self righteous. is this discrimination accurate?
Re: Self Righteousness Means What To U In The Light Of The Christian Holy Scripture? by 5solas(m): 9:24pm On Jun 17, 2010
chinedumo:

I have cause to ask this question cos i have come to notice a discrepancy in the meaning and use of phrase "self righteousness". so lets start with what it means to u or what it ought to mean or even what it meant to u i.e what u thought it meant. after that then This is where my grievance goes to. When someone is making effort to be holy, dedicated, serious in the things of God, allows the LORD to use him and flow through him, doing the work of the ministry and edify the body of Christ. when he find himself among luckworm nominal "sunday sunday" christians, they count his as self righteous. is this discrimination accurate? 

The average believer (I believe) sees a person as self-righteous if they are trusting in what they do to get them to heaven (''make heaven''), especially if they do not profess to be religious (for example, if they are moralists). But self-righteousness indeed (to my understanding ) goes beyond that. If a person is converted and living as a believer should and thinks they will get they as a result of such good works,such a righteousness as they have can be called self-righteousness.
It is the attitude that is the difference, where the trust is. It must remain on Jesus even after believing.

True righteousness does not help us ''make heaven'' rather having ''made heaven'' by faith, we are able to bring fought true righteousness.

I sincerely don't mean to confuse you or anyone else,please. Just trying to make some necessary distinctions.
Re: Self Righteousness Means What To U In The Light Of The Christian Holy Scripture? by 5solas(m): 3:04pm On Jun 18, 2010
Self-righteousness as the term signifies is the righteousness that is from self.
Re: Self Righteousness Means What To U In The Light Of The Christian Holy Scripture? by chinedumo(m): 5:16pm On Jun 24, 2010
let me ask u something some one who tries to be self righteous and someone who makes no effort at all who is better?
Re: Self Righteousness Means What To U In The Light Of The Christian Holy Scripture? by 5solas(m): 11:03am On Jun 26, 2010
chinedumo:

let me ask u something some one who tries to be self righteous and someone who makes no effort at all who is better?

Aha, Chinedumo! Want to derail your own post? I have graciously (wink) offered you my understanding of the term and instead of acknowledging it as

true or rejecting it as false, you turn aside and come up with the above. Are u trying to wear me down? sad
Re: Self Righteousness Means What To U In The Light Of The Christian Holy Scripture? by chinedumo(m): 4:38pm On Jun 26, 2010
5solas:

Aha, Chinedumo! Want to derail your own post? I have graciously (wink) offered you my understanding of the term and instead of acknowledging it as

true or rejecting it as false, you turn aside and come up with the above. Are u trying to wear me down? sad

i want to show u the difference cos u call the two the same in your words. learn to differentiate btw in the two. we are not here to pull the other down but to pull the other up in the faith
this question is in line with the topic. i am more in the position to decide if the topic is being derailed i.e no more representing the idea i am demonstrating

(1) (Reply)

My Friends, I Seek Your Help / Davinci Code / Misconceptions : christian Suffering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.