Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,588 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics - Sports (73) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics (103847 Views)

Super Falcons Beat Banyana Banyana (0-1 Agg) - Qualify For Paris 2024 Olympics / Nigeria's D’Tigress Finish 8th At FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup / D’tigress Beats Argentina And Qualifies For Quarter Final, Makes History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (99) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 2:28pm On Feb 13, 2022
lovewins:

Convincing her won't be difficult, she's appears to be very pro-Nigeria. She only needs to be approached.

I also think we need size in the team. We should intentionally scout for tall players. That's what gives teams like the USA an advantage

Yes, we absolutely need size. How I wish Felicia Aiyeotan’s career wasn’t cut short due to a chronic illness, because standing at 6’7”, she would have been a massive asset against a player like Brittney Griner or Liz Cambage.

If there is a decent 6’5” or 6’6” Naija player in the NCAA or even in Europe, she should be checked out by the coaching crew

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 2:32pm On Feb 13, 2022
lovewins:
Congratulations Nigeria

Terrible 4th Quarter. How exactly did we let go of a 21 point lead?

The ladies a tenacious but we need fresh faces in the team. In my opinion we need to find replacement for the following players

1. Atonye
2. Pallas
3. Musa
4. Nkem
Thank you.. especially Pallas,.

I don't know what the Nigeria Basketball federation is about Michaela though,.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 2:45pm On Feb 13, 2022
PDPGuy:

Yes, we absolutely need size. How I wish Felicia Aiyeotan’s career wasn’t cut short due to a chronic illness, because standing at 6’7”, she would have been a massive asset against a player like Brittney Griner or Liz Cambage.

If there is a decent 6’5” or 6’6” Naija player in the NCAA or even in Europe, she should be checked out by the coaching crew

Wow. Had to read up on her. She seemed to have an impressive collegiate career. Sad to have been cut short by a genetic disease.

Like you reaffirmed, we really need size in the team.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 4:41pm On Feb 13, 2022
lovewins:

Wow. Had to read up on her. She seemed to have an impressive collegiate career. Sad to have been cut short by a genetic disease.

Like you reaffirmed, we really need size in the team.

It was really really sad.

In addition to height, our ladies need to bulk a bit, because that’s another area where the top 3 or 4 teams have an advantage over D’Tigress.
I watched the game vs the USA at the last Olympics, and most of our ladies looked like teens - physique wise- compared to the Americans. I will say a 7-10 lb gain in muscle won’t be bad, especially when D’Tigress come up against teams that are both technically and physically dominant

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 4:43pm On Feb 13, 2022
Here’s the format for the 2022 FIBA Women’s World Cup.

The teams will be split into two groups of six.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 7:35pm On Feb 13, 2022
lovewins:

Convincing her won't be difficult, she's appears to be very pro-Nigeria. She only needs to be approached.

I also think we need size in the team. We should intentionally scout for tall players. That's what gives teams like the USA an advantage

I agree with you on this one cool cool cool cool.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 7:43pm On Feb 13, 2022
Queenslander:
Thank you.. especially Pallas,.

I don't know what the Nigeria Basketball federation is about Michaela though,.

Onyenwere can be convinced to play for D'tigress at the World Cup. Let the NBBF and the Coaching crew get to work concerning recruitment.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 7:49pm On Feb 13, 2022
What's even the status of the Ogwumike sisters playing for us??
I understand that Erica is no longer playing at a pro level cus of school,but what about the elder ones?

We really need to fill up the team with more quality players before the world cup.. Big women and good shooters

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 9:21pm On Feb 13, 2022
Danielnino00:
I understand that Erica is no longer playing at a pro level cus of school,but what about the elder ones?

We really need to fill up the team with more quality players before the world cup.. Big women and good shooters

I don't think we need the Ogumike sisters in the team moving forward. They would have been necessary for the Olympics, bur including them at this point doesn't really make sense.

Nneka is 31, Chiney is almost 30, we need to focus on building a team for the future not including those close to retirement. As it is right now, almost half the team on the current roaster Is over 30, we need younger and fresher blood in the team. We should focus on Arike and Oyenwere in the WNBA and players of Nigerian decent in the NCAA

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 10:08pm On Feb 13, 2022
lovewins:

I don't think we need the Ogumike sisters in the team moving forward. They would have been necessary for the Olympics, bur including them at this point doesn't really make sense.

Nneka is 31, Chiney is almost 30, we need to focus on building a team for the future not including those close to retirement. As it is right now, almost half the team on the current roaster Is over 30, we need younger and fresher blood in the team. We should focus on Arike and Oyenwere in the WNBA and players of Nigerian decent in the NCAA

Completely agree.

However, I’m not sure if Arike would ever suit up for D’Tigress cos she seems adamant on playing for the US.
Maybe some financial incentive from either the NBBF or the team’s sponsors or Naija billionaires may induce the likes of Arike, Onyenwere and some other talented Nigerian-Americans to don the GWG

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Horus(m): 10:11pm On Feb 13, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_W_QDFUXDc

Nigeria - France | Highlights #FIBAWWC 2022

One of the best games ever, the Nigeria lady qualified for the Fiba world cup after beating world number 4 France, what an incredible game

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 10:36pm On Feb 13, 2022
Hey guys..

Wassap with China V France?

Any update?
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 11:54pm On Feb 13, 2022
Queenslander:
Hey guys..

Wassap with China V France?

Any update?

China won by 103-70
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 12:12am On Feb 14, 2022
PDPGuy:
Here’s the format for the 2022 FIBA Women’s World Cup.

The teams will be split into two groups of six.
.......chai, this is the tradition method,it is usually brutal, you play 5 games in about 6 or 7 days or there about, the last method to me was better to me, less games,you do not worry too much about fatigue, hence you can rest a little bit more but this one, by the end of a two weeks tournament, you would have played 8 games...Chai....well our queens are up for it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 12:16am On Feb 14, 2022
Danielnino00:

...to be honest, i think we should move on, we should look for quality young players to add to the team, players that we can easily get a good decade from or there about.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 4:45am On Feb 14, 2022
PDPGuy:

China won by 103-70
wow, 103? tongue That's some NBA sh**! Did France manage to qualify??
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 5:05am On Feb 14, 2022
Queenslander:
wow, 103? tongue That's some NBA sh**! Did France manage to qualify??
Yeah, France qualified.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 11:07pm On Feb 15, 2022
The draws for the 2022 Women’s World Cup will hold on March 3…

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 7:36pm On Mar 02, 2022
The draws for the FIBA Womens World Cup will be held tomorrow
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 9:38am On Mar 03, 2022
Draws for the womens world cup

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 10:03am On Mar 03, 2022
D’Tigress WC fixtures:

September 22: Japan v Nigeria
September 23: Nigeria v Australia
September 25: Nigeria v France
September 26: Serbia v Nigeria
September 27: Nigeria v Canada

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 10:04am On Mar 03, 2022
carbonado:
Draws for the womens world cup
Group B is the “group of death” due to the number of teams in FIBA’s top 10

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 10:08am On Mar 03, 2022
PDPGuy:
D’Tigress WC fixtures:

September 22: Japan v Nigeria
September 23: Nigeria v Australia
September 25: Nigeria v France
September 26: Serbia v Nigeria
September 27: Nigeria v Canada
....Chai, 5 matches in 6 days....we pray against injuries.....Brutal, i must admit.....The girls need to take thier fitness a notch higher because of this method, no 2-3 days rest. Also the coaches have to start making their scouting report from now, you can t wait for the world cup proper to start, that will be too much work to do. France will be waiting for Nigeria.. cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 10:13am On Mar 03, 2022
PDPGuy:

Group B is the “group of death” due to the number of teams in FIBA’s top 10
..yeap.....its going to be hard.......
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 10:17am On Mar 03, 2022
carbonado:
....Chai, 5 matches in 6 days....we pray against injuries.....Brutal, i must admit.....The girls need to take thier fitness a notch higher because of this method, no 2-3 days rest. Also the coaches have to start making their scouting report from now, you can t wait for the world cup proper to start, that will be too much work to do. France will be waiting for Nigeria.. cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

Yes, the ladies would need to spend some extra time in the gym to build up their endurance (and body mass cos these European/American players always look bigger than our players).

As to your point on scouting early, I would say no more than 16 players should be invited to the pre-tournament camp, because the squad only needs 2-3 more quality perimeter/3-point shooters. And also because we wouldn’t want excessive disruption to the chemistry of the team that has been together for the last 4-5 years

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 10:20am On Mar 03, 2022
carbonado:
..yeap.....its going to be hard.......
Definitely
But I believe the ladies will advance to the quarterfinals by a slim margin.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by SlyCharlie(m): 10:24am On Mar 03, 2022
i dunno why fiba reintroduced this their opd format of two groups. the last format used in spain 2018 was waay better imho...
well, while watching the draws i made up my mind that there wasn't gonna be any easy drawz for naijas tigress and what do u know... we fac Australia France and Canada again in group b.
coach otis and his crew have a whole lot to do b4 September.

on a side note, i wonder who fiba is gonna pick to replace Russia

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by SlyCharlie(m): 10:26am On Mar 03, 2022
PDPGuy:

Definitely
But I believe the ladies will advance to the quarterfinals by a slim margin.
2 group stage wins should be enough tho...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 10:38am On Mar 03, 2022
SlyCharlie:
i dunno why fiba reintroduced this their opd format of two groups. the last format used in spain 2018 was waay better imho...
well, while watching the draws i made up my mind that there wasn't gonna be any easy drawz for naijas tigress and what do u know... we fac Australia France and Canada again in group b.
coach otis and his crew have a whole lot to do b4 September.

on a side note, i wonder who fiba is gonna pick to replace Russia

My cynical mind says it’s probably the NBBF that influenced FIBA to use this format in order to guarantee extra days of earning estacode, as compared to the 4-team per group format. grin
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by SlyCharlie(m): 10:43am On Mar 03, 2022
PDPGuy:

My cynical mind says it’s probably the NBBF that influenced FIBA to use this format in order to guarantee extra days of earning estacode, as compared to the 4-team per group format. grin

naija don finish u, i swear....lmaoooooo
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 11:10am On Mar 03, 2022
PDPGuy:

Yes, the ladies would need to spend some extra time in the gym to build up their endurance (and body mass cos these European/American players always look bigger than our players).

As to your point on scouting early, I would say no more than 16 players should be invited to the pre-tournament camp, because the squad only needs 2-3 more quality perimeter/3-point shooters. And also because we wouldn’t want excessive disruption to the chemistry of the team that has been together for the last 4-5 years

I agree with you. As an addendum, I think we need someone tall and effective in the paint. Our forwards seem to miss a lot of layups as it is, that's aside the fact that they struggle when we play teams with very tall players. I'll seriously advice that Otis to introduce players that will fit these roles while ensuring the teams chemistry isn't disrupted

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 12:28pm On Mar 03, 2022
PDPGuy:

.. The scouting reports i talked about means you finding out how your opponent plays, thier weakness and strength. Basically, with such information, you try to take away their strength away and let them play to their weakness. As regards camp, i hope not more than 20 players of the best forms of their lives, that are eligible, basically 4 best players at each position.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) ... (99) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Spain - Confederations Cup: (0 - 3) On 23rd June 2013 / How To Turn #150 Into #4,000,000 This Weekend + (bet9ja Booking Number) / Libya Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifiers - 2 - 3 (Full Time)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.