Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,448 members, 7,819,658 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics - Sports (74) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics (103851 Views)

Super Falcons Beat Banyana Banyana (0-1 Agg) - Qualify For Paris 2024 Olympics / Nigeria's D’Tigress Finish 8th At FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup / D’tigress Beats Argentina And Qualifies For Quarter Final, Makes History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (99) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 12:31pm On Mar 03, 2022
PDPGuy:

Yes, the ladies would need to spend some extra time in the gym to build up their endurance (and body mass cos these European/American players always look bigger than our players).

As to your point on scouting early, I would say no more than 16 players should be invited to the pre-tournament camp, because the squad only needs 2-3 more quality perimeter/3-point shooters. And also because we wouldn’t want excessive disruption to the chemistry of the team that has been together for the last 4-5 years
.. Also if the camp start early let say 4 weeks camp, by the end of 1st weektowards end of 2nd week,we should have our 12 players. Except for injuries, it will stay the same to the tournament.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 1:34pm On Mar 03, 2022
PDPGuy:

Definitely
But I believe the ladies will advance to the quarterfinals by a slim margin.
...if we have our house in order, we should.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 2:09pm On Mar 03, 2022
Tough Group!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 10:05pm On Mar 03, 2022
Fun fact:

D'Tigress have scored 744 points, and conceded 889 points in world cup play (over 2 tournaments in 2006 and 2018)...
The team should record their 1000th ever WC point by their 4th group game.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 4:28pm On Mar 10, 2022
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided...here we go again folks, sad much....

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 5:07pm On Mar 10, 2022
carbonado:
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided...here we go again folks, sad much....

This isn't a new development. Otis has been accomodating and patient. He wasn't supposed to be in Belgrade for the qualifiers as he wasn't carried along and or course hadn't been paid for his previous engagements. He was there because of the girls at personal cost. It's likely they'll sort this out before the world cup but it's sad that we get to treat players and coaches alike this way

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 3:28am On Mar 11, 2022
Tough love ❤️
Na wah for this country,. It's almost as if the country doesn't give a damn about basketball,.
She only cares about football ☹️

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by larablog: 7:18pm On Mar 18, 2022
Shooting my shot, are there any Nigerians in Nigeria intrested in WNBA and NCAA women's basketball. Let me know, I am trying to start a community of like minded enthusiasts. Drop a comment under this post.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 12:14am On Mar 19, 2022
larablog:
Shooting my shot, are there any Nigerians in Nigeria intrested in WNBA and NCAA women's basketball. Let me know, I am trying to start a community of like minded enthusiasts. Drop a comment under this post.

Thank you
May i ask what you do in the basketball world, a scout, coach, analyst, former player and what precisely are u planning on doing.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 2:40am On Mar 19, 2022
carbonado:
May i ask what you do in the basketball world, a scout, coach, analyst, former player and what precisely are u planning on doing.
Good question!!
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by larablog: 11:39am On Mar 19, 2022
carbonado:

I do nothing in the basketball world. I enjoy the game and I am looking for like minded nigerians to share the love of the game with (Maybe join whatsapp group, have a podcast and host watch parties.)

I can't be the only one who likes Women's basketball?

I do have a YouTube channel where I analyze the games though. But that just for fun
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 11:49pm On Mar 19, 2022
larablog:

I do nothing in the basketball world. I enjoy the game and I am looking for like minded nigerians to share the love of the game with (Maybe join whatsapp group, have a podcast and host watch parties.)

I can't be the only one who likes Women's basketball?

I do have a YouTube channel where I analyze the games though. But that just for fun
.. Fair enough, your initial message sounded more like you looking for players for NCAA or posible WNBA. You are most welcome. This place might be quiet for now, however, trust me a few days to a major tourney, it comes alive. As regards NCAA womens basketball, hopefully, you get people that watch, however, most games are not on tv here, even the wnba. Once again, welcome, also what is your youtube page, if i may ask..
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by SlyCharlie(m): 10:02am On Mar 21, 2022
larablog:

Thank you
yoo... i also follow womens basketball especially ncaa and national teams.
its march madness season and the women's side be springing more upsets this season. yesterday, Creighton upset Iowa, South Dakota upset Baylor.
it isn't really easy following the wnba from Nigeria, its actually easier to catch womens and mens college games as Espn 2 on startimes and dstv has sort of been dedicated to the ncaa since the start of march, it happens every year tho, and of course the nba itself on Espn, no such luck for wnba..
anyways it good to know there's another college ball aficionado in these parts... big ups.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by larablog: 11:31am On Mar 21, 2022
SlyCharlie:

yoo... i also follow womens basketball especially ncaa and national teams.
its march madness season and the women's side be springing more upsets this season. yesterday, Creighton upset Iowa, South Dakota upset Baylor.
it isn't really easy following the wnba from Nigeria, its actually easier to catch womens and mens college games as Espn 2 on startimes and dstv has sort of been dedicated to the ncaa since the start of march, it happens every year tho, and of course the nba itself on Espn, no such luck for wnba..
anyways it good to know there's another college ball aficionado in these parts... big ups.
Yay, finally found someone

The tournament has been crazy this year, the Baylor upset was even more shocking than Iowa, I had Baylor in my final four! My bracket is done.
Who are you rooting for, I am rooting for Uconn to win it all this year.

For some reason I find it easy to watch all the games using some free TV sites.

Try live94today.com or usgo.tv for free streaming of most games. You can check the ESPN website to find out where each game will be aired. Thank me later

For those intrested, my channel is https://youtube.com/channel/UC1wu7hgAn1-ex85bhogHfgg

Nothing fancy, just commentary.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 12:07pm On Mar 21, 2022
larablog:

The tournament has been crazy this year, the Baylor upset was even more shocking than Iowa, I had Baylor in my final four! My bracket is done.

Try live94today.com or usgo.tv for free streaming of most games. You can check the ESPN website to find out where each game will be aired. Thank me later

For those intrested, my channel is https://youtube.com/channel/UC1wu7hgAn1-ex85bhogHfgg

One way I believe you can garner interest is to beam the light on players of Nigerian origin presently playing in the NCAA who can potential represent Nigeria in the nearest future.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by SlyCharlie(m): 3:47pm On Mar 21, 2022
larablog:

thanks for the links....
i watch sportscenter every day on espn for round up of games i missed tho
ngl, baylor was in my bracket too to get to sweet 16... but Stanford has been my favorite to win, then South Carolina before uConn.
well we'd. see how it goes.

lovewins:

One way I believe you can garner interest is to beam the light on players of Nigerian origin presently playing in the NCAA who can potential represent Nigeria in the nearest future.
larablog u should consider this...
but i think you'd find more luck in ncaa mens tournament, Nigerians there could form a mini league...lmao
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 4:45pm On Mar 21, 2022
SlyCharlie:

thanks for the links....
i watch sportscenter every day on espn for round up of games i missed tho
ngl, baylor was in my bracket too to get to sweet 16... but Stanford has been my favorite to win, then South Carolina before uConn.
well we'd. see how it goes.

larablog u should consider this...
but i think you'd find more luck in ncaa mens tournament, Nigerians there could form a mini league...lmao

My curiosity led me to do a rather rigourous search of female players of Nigerian decent currently playing in the WNBA, and they were quite a lot. I imagine that someone who follows the league will see a lot more than I did
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by SlyCharlie(m): 7:30pm On Mar 21, 2022
lovewins:

My curiosity led me to do a rather rigourous search of female players of Nigerian decent currently playing in the WNBA, and they were quite a lot. I imagine that someone who follows the league will see a lot more than I did
true that tho....
but in the mens game its on another level. lool
in some games ud see as much as 5 players of Nigerian descent playing for both teams
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by larablog: 12:19am On Mar 22, 2022
SlyCharlie:

true that tho....
but in the mens game its on another level. lool
in some games ud see as much as 5 players of Nigerian descent playing for both teams
I don't follow the Men's games but the WNBA has some quality players, NCAA too. Ashley Owusu from Maryland is my favorite right now. Unfortunately most the stars are are already pledged with Team USA. Who wouldn't, Nigeria does not pay their players.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 4:18am On Apr 02, 2022
The FIBA Women’s World Cup match schedule is out!

Here are D’Tigress games (all times in Nigerian time):

September 22: Japan v Nigeria at 5:00am
September 23: Nigeria v Australia at 11:30am
September 25: Nigeria v France at 5:30am
September 26: Serbia v Nigeria at 4:30am
September 27: Nigeria v Canada at 7:00am
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:44am On Apr 02, 2022
PDPGuy:
The FIBA Women’s World Cup match schedule is out!

Here are D’Tigress games (all times in Nigerian time):

September 22: Japan v Nigeria at 5:00am
September 23: Nigeria v Australia at 11:30am
September 25: Nigeria v France at 5:30am
September 26: Serbia v Nigeria at 4:30am
September 27: Nigeria v Canada at 7:00am

The USA team are currently in camp, I believe in Minnesota. Success is no accident, I really do hope the NBBF have a plan for these girls

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 9:12am On Apr 02, 2022
lovewins:

The USA team are currently in camp, I believe in Minnesota. Success is no accident, I really do hope the NBBF have a plan for these girls
Is their league going to be on break till then?
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 10:03am On Apr 02, 2022
somehow:

Is their league going to be on break till then?

The WNBA has been on break since last year. They won't be resuming until May/June. Some players of course are currently in Europe plying their trade with different European teams, but most are in the US.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 10:34am On Apr 02, 2022
lovewins:

The WNBA has been on break since last year. They won't be resuming until May/June. Some players of course are currently in Europe plying their trade with different European teams, but most are in the US.

OK, now I understand why they are in camp this early.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by PDPGuy: 7:39pm On Apr 12, 2022
Yesterday, two Nigerian female players - Faustine Aifuwa (center), and Queen Egbo (center) - were drafted to WNBA teams, Las Vegas Aces and Indiana Fever respectfully. Aifuwa stands at 6’5”, while Egbo is 6’3”

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 8:02pm On Apr 12, 2022
PDPGuy:
Yesterday, two Nigerian female players - Faustine Aifuwa (center), and Queen Egbo (center) - were drafted to WNBA teams, Las Vegas Aces and Indiana Fever respectfully. Aifuwa stands at 6’5”, while Egbo is 6’3”

I see, Cool,. We know they're Nigerians, buh the problem is, Will they play for Nigeria?? That's the million dollar question
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:05pm On Apr 12, 2022
Queenslander:
I see, Cool,. We know they're Nigerians, buh the problem is, Will they play for Nigeria?? That's the million dollar question

They most likely will. I think they just need to be extended an invitation. They are part of the very few who identify simply as Nigerians and not Nigerian Americans. Frankly speaking, they also do not have a shot at playing for the US so Nigeria seem to be their only option.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:06pm On Apr 12, 2022
PDPGuy:

....Nice height, let see how they proceed with their international careers.....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:09pm On Apr 12, 2022
lovewins:

They most likely will. I think they just need to be extended an invitation. They are part of the very few who identify simply as Nigerians and not Nigerian Americans. Frankly speaking, they also do not have a shot at playing for the US so Nigeria seem to be their only option.
....even if they do play, you might not play more than a competition and that is it, unlike other countries, America churns them out way too much, even Nnekka who is a legend was served breakfast.....

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 8:16pm On Apr 12, 2022
lovewins:

Hmmm,. God help they play for Nigeria,. If not for anything,. For their height.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 8:19pm On Apr 12, 2022
carbonado:
....Nice height, let see how they proceed with their international carriers.....
Careers,. Your welcome ❤️

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (99) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Spain - Confederations Cup: (0 - 3) On 23rd June 2013 / How To Turn #150 Into #4,000,000 This Weekend + (bet9ja Booking Number) / Libya Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifiers - 2 - 3 (Full Time)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.