Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics - Sports (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics (103871 Views)

Super Falcons Beat Banyana Banyana (0-1 Agg) - Qualify For Paris 2024 Olympics / Nigeria's D’Tigress Finish 8th At FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup / D’tigress Beats Argentina And Qualifies For Quarter Final, Makes History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (99) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 10:54pm On Aug 06, 2022
lovewins:

If you remember, I said it will take a miracle for us to feature in the world cup and that folks should rather make peace with the fact that we won't be in Australia and a miracles happens than eagerly anticipate and be disappointed.

The reason you didn't hear anything is cause there was nothing to hear really. We had no standing to petition FIBA for a return and Mali obviously will rather participate in the world cup than play sisterhood.

As for Liz leaving the LA sparks, it had nothing to do with the Ogumikes, neither does it have anything to do with the incident that happened with team Nigeria prior to the Olympics. It's Liz just being Liz

To be honest, I was just being hopeful... Looking at it critically, assuming it was FIBA that banned us rather than us withdrawing,then it would have been easier to reinstate us..But in this case, we pulled out ourselves..so there's no way back in... It's unfortunate..

As for the Liz issue, well I didn't really say the Ogwumikes had a hand in it, but around the time the issue came to light and she joined the Sparks, the Ogwumikes were signaled out largely due to their connection with Nigeria.. There was even a video posted online during one of the Sparks press conference that was interpreted as Chinney Ogwumike having issues with Cambage.. To be honest, Cambage has always been the type..
I'm just sad we won't see the Ogwumikes play for us again...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 1:54am On Aug 13, 2022
Danielnino00:

The top 3 teams from each group in the first round were paired against each other... Group A teams and group C...Group B with group D ..
So we now have group E(top 3 in A and C) and group F (top 3 in B and D)..
Since Mali result has been annulled, we,alongside Cape Verde and Guinea are adjudged to have played 4 games as against 6 games by the other group members.. This put us at a disadvantage..
For instance,we are on 6 points...Ivory Coast who top the group are on 12 points...
It doesn't make any sense...

We have to finish in the top 2 to qualify for the world cup ...3rd place means we will be ranked against the 3rd ranked team in group F....Given the circumstances, it also put us at a disadvantage..

Mali seem to be all out to pour sand in our garri for both the male and female team grin

I believe we can still qualify for the Men's Basketball World Cup. Ivory Coast, Cape Verde, Guinea and Angola are not our mates in basketball. We just need to select a good squad that will be regular for this stage of the qualifiers. The problem is we have not been selecting a gifted but regular squad since the qualifiers started. The players have to show commitment at this stage of the qualifiers of we desire to be at the World Cup. Here is my list of players 18 man squad the NBBF can use to pick up a ticket for the FIBA Men's World Cup.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 2:22am On Aug 13, 2022
The DTigers Squad to be formed

1. Obi Emegano
2. Stan Okoye
3. Ike Iroegbu
4. Tosin Mehinti
5. Keith Omoeirah
6. Mekwuolu
7. Al Farooq Aminu
8. Benjamin Emelogu
9. Deji Akindele
10. Michael Gbinije
11. Chimezie Metu ( captain ).
12. Josh Okogie.

The above is my dream squad for the next round of qualifiers. NBBF should try and invite the players listed above. It is a crack squad that can deliver the goods for us.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 2:32am On Aug 13, 2022
The 6 players on the reserve that can be called in if some players do not turn up.

1. Ben Uzoh
2. Andy Ogide ( part of the 2015 Afro basket team . He is still playing well. He plays in Spain now ).
3. Uche Iroegbu
4. Stephen Domingo
5. Ike Nwamu
6. TK Edogi ( Very reliable player ).

What is crucial at this stage is that we need consistency. This squad should be used throughout this last stage of the qualifiers. Players must make themselves available .We must get the ticket at all costs. Thanks.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 8:36am On Aug 13, 2022
Redman44:

1. Obi Emegano
2. Stan Okoye
3. Ike Iroegbu
4. Tosin Mehinti
5. Keith Omoeirah
6. Mekwuolu
7. Al Farooq Aminu
8. Benjamin Emelogu
9. Deji Akindele
10. Michael Gbinije
12. Josh Okogie.

The above is my dream squad for the next round of qualifiers. NBBF should try and invite the players listed above. It is a crack squad that can deliver the goods for us.

What about Nwora and Gabe Vincent? I don't think Aminu has played pro basketball since he was traded to the Bulls last year..
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 9:37pm On Aug 13, 2022
Danielnino00:

What about Nwora and Gabe Vincent? I don't think Aminu has played pro basketball since he was traded to the Bulls last year..

I am not sure if Nwora and Gabe Vincent have indicated that they will make themselves available for this stage of the qualifiers. Metu and OKOGIE have indicated that they will play in this month's qualifying window.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 10:26pm On Aug 13, 2022
Redman44:

I am not sure if Nwora and Gabe Vincent have indicated that they will make themselves available for this stage of the qualifiers. Metu and OKOGIE have indicated that they will play in this month's qualifying window.

Oh..So it's by indication...I see...

This is the major issue with depending on oversea based players, especially the NBA... They aren't always available.. Though most times it depends on the players themselves... Giannis and some NBA top European players have been camping since the start of the week for the qualifier and EuroBasket that's starting next month.. I hope our guys will be available too... We can't keep losing to the likes of Cape Verde because we can't parade better players...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 12:33am On Aug 14, 2022
Redman44:

1. Obi Emegano
2. Stan Okoye
3. Ike Iroegbu
4. Tosin Mehinti
5. Keith Omoeirah
6. Mekwuolu
7. Al Farooq Aminu
8. Benjamin Emelogu
9. Deji Akindele
10. Michael Gbinije
12. Josh Okogie.

The DTigers team above will beat Cape Verde. You can take that to the bank. We just need a good coach to inspire the team. Cheers.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 3:27pm On Aug 15, 2022
The @nbbfonline has released a 15-man list for the 2023 FIBA World Cup Qualifiers billed for Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire from 26-28 August.

D’Tigers will play against host Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea and Angola on 26, 27 and 28 respectively

Source: Queen Moseph

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 11:46pm On Aug 15, 2022
lovewins:
The @nbbfonline has released a 15-man list for the 2023 FIBA World Cup Qualifiers billed for Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire from 26-28 August.

D’Tigers will play against host Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea and Angola on 26, 27 and 28 respectively

This squad is better than the last one.. I'm confident we will qualify..
it's a shame we won't be seeing Nwora, Vincent and Achiuwa...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 8:47pm On Aug 16, 2022
lovewins:

So ivory Coast is hosting smiley. I believe we will overcome the ivorians. Angola is just rebuilding their team. Don't know much about Guinea. It should be 3 wins for DTigers.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Redman44(m): 8:51pm On Aug 16, 2022
Egekeze and Abdul Malik Abu are not bad players. I would have loved it if Gabe Vincent made himself available. Vincent is really good.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Queenslander(f): 6:25am On Aug 25, 2022
❣️

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 8:35pm On Aug 25, 2022
Chima Moneke and KZ Okpala are now with the Sacramento Kings.. That makes it three Nigerians who were coached by Mike Brown at the Olympics now with the Kings...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 5:31pm On Aug 26, 2022
Checking the qualifier format again, I can see that we won't be playing the teams we played in the first round anymore i.e Cape Verde and Uganda.. If we beat Ivory Coast tonight,we move to third in the group, cus Angola are currently beating Uganda...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 5:48pm On Aug 26, 2022
Danielnino00:
Checking the qualifier format again, I can see that we won't be playing the teams we played in the first round anymore i.e Cape Verde and Uganda.. If we beat Ivory Coast tonight,we move to third in the group, cus Angola are currently beating Uganda...

It appears we have to win all our games to qualify. Mali pulling out apparently didn't give us the advantage. If Mali had remained we would have topped our group with more points. The implication of Mali pulling out is that our win against them didn't count, and Cape Verde's loss also didn't count.

Hoping for the best.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 6:06pm On Aug 26, 2022
lovewins:

It appears we have to win all our games to qualify. Mali pulling out apparently didn't give us the advantage. If Mali had remained we would have topped our group with more points. The implication of Mali pulling out is that our win against them didn't count, and Cape Verde's loss also didn't count.

Hoping for the best.

I just checked the group again o..All the teams currently there are ranked as having played the same number of games..
Central Africa Republic who finished last in group C had their results nullified....So as it stands,all the teams in our group have played the same number of games (4) though Cape Verde and Guinea played their 5th today
I think they did so because of Mali pulling out of group A ...So as to give the teams from group A fair chance...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 6:07pm On Aug 26, 2022
Danielnino00:

Oh, and about rankings, if we beat Cote d'Ivoire we could go second on the table. Our point difference just has to be more than Angola's. Angola seem to be blowing Uganda out though
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 6:09pm On Aug 26, 2022
Danielnino00:

I just checked the group again o..All the teams currently there are ranked as having played the same number of games..
Central Africa Republic who finished last in group C had their results nullified....So as it stands,all the teams in our group have played the same number of games (4) though Cape Verde and Guinea played their 5th today
I think they did so because of Mali pulling out of group A ...So as to give the teams from group A fair chance...

Just noticed that as I was typing my last comment. Now it makes sense. Was trying to rap my head around how exactly this will work.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 6:12pm On Aug 26, 2022
lovewins:

Oh, and about rankings, if we beat Cote d'Ivoire we could go second on the table. Our point difference just has to be more than Angola's. Angola seem to be blowing Uganda out though

You're quite right ..We could go second...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 6:14pm On Aug 26, 2022
lovewins:

Just noticed that as I was typing my last comment. Now it makes sense. Was trying to rap my head around how exactly this will work.

It all make sense now .And to be fair, it's the right thing to do ..Cus it would have given the teams from group C an unfair advantage..

I hope they can use this kind of format in football too . Reminds me of the 2017 AFCON that we missed because Chad pulled out of our group.. We could have qualified as second best finisher in the group if not for that...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 7:32pm On Aug 26, 2022
Danielnino00:

It all make sense now .And to be fair, it's the right thing to do ..Cus it would have given the teams from group C an unfair advantage..

I hope they can use this kind of format in football too . Reminds me of the 2017 AFCON that we missed because Chad pulled out of our group.. We could have qualified as second best finisher in the group if not for that...

Any hope of watching it on cable TV?
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 7:49pm On Aug 26, 2022
somehow:

Any hope of watching it on cable TV?
As far as I know, it will be live on startimes...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 8:21pm On Aug 26, 2022
14 -14 1st qtr..
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:34pm On Aug 26, 2022
We are beginning to turn over the ball a lot. Could be a big problem.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 8:35pm On Aug 26, 2022
Danielnino00:

As far as I know, it will be live on startimes...

Thanks but got no times.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:40pm On Aug 26, 2022
We've been finding it very difficult to drive into their paint. But for the 3 point throws we would be in trouble. Thankful for Metu
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 8:46pm On Aug 26, 2022
Not looking good.

Seems we don't have bodies for the paints.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 8:51pm On Aug 26, 2022
We have 14 turnovers in the first half, 5 more than CIV. Not good at all.

We shouldn't take anything away from CIV, they have been doing the work defensively, especially since out offense quite frankly hasn't been inspiring.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 9:15pm On Aug 26, 2022
Nigeria doing exactly what we should be doing.

Drive into the paint and make them commit fouls.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 9:22pm On Aug 26, 2022
our defense is poor...

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (99) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Spain - Confederations Cup: (0 - 3) On 23rd June 2013 / How To Turn #150 Into #4,000,000 This Weekend + (bet9ja Booking Number) / Libya Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifiers - 2 - 3 (Full Time)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.