Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,650 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics - Sports (80) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics (103953 Views)

Super Falcons Beat Banyana Banyana (0-1 Agg) - Qualify For Paris 2024 Olympics / Nigeria's D’Tigress Finish 8th At FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup / D’tigress Beats Argentina And Qualifies For Quarter Final, Makes History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (99) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 2:07pm On Aug 28, 2022
somehow:

What I don't get is; why should our best players never available during qualifiers only to be present when or if we qualify?

All the serious countries playing qualifiers have their best players representing them so what's the excuse here?

Our best players are in the NBA, and from what i observed, it's mostly non Americans in yhe NBA that take playing for their national teams serious.. I mean European players.. The likes of Giannis, Jokic and Doncic are with their national teams for the qualifiers and also the EuroBasket that's starting soon..
Even USA itself hardly use NBA players for their qualifiers..At times they use college players..
Maybe some of our players have the same mentality..Or maybe they just don't want to risk it...Even if we qualify for the world cup, some may not care to participate...
IMO, the NBA holds too much power over FIBA such that it's players can do as they like...Unlike FIFA

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 2:12pm On Aug 28, 2022
Danielnino00:

Our best players are in the NBA, and from what i observed, it's mostly non Americans in yhe NBA that take playing for their national teams serious.. I mean European players.. The likes of Giannis, Jokic and Doncic are with their national teams for the qualifiers and also the EuroBasket that's starting soon..
Even USA itself hardly use NBA players for their qualifiers..At times they use college players..
Maybe some of our players have the same mentality..Or maybe they just don't want to risk it...Even if we qualify for the world cup, some may not care to participate...
IMO, the NBA holds too much power over FIBA such that it's players can do as they like...Unlike FIFA

Like you said, most non-American players showed up for their countries. All the known names in the NBA are repping their countries. The so called NBA power didn't stop these ones.

Players far better than our own players, so their excuses for not turning up is sad!

Didn't start this year, seems to be a norm for years now.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 2:15pm On Aug 28, 2022
lovewins:

Angola aren't unbeatable, but are obviously going into this game as the favourite. If everyone in the team wakes up and try to do the simple things then we may just win.

The 2 games played so far with these current set of players leave me with no confidence.

We have like 4 players in the whole squad that know what they are there to do. The rest are just not there for business!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 2:19pm On Aug 28, 2022
somehow:

The 2 games played so far with these current set of players leave me with no confidence.

We have like 4 players in the whole squad that know what they are there to do. The rest are just not there for business!

Their play so far is just nauseating. Turning over the ball like amateurs.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 2:30pm On Aug 28, 2022
Angola is implementing the exact Cote d'Ivoire playbook. This is exactly the same thing Cote d'Ivoire did, pressure us with double/triple man making forcing turnovers. Sadly it worked with Cote d'Ivoire, hopefully it doesn't this time cause Angola isn't so good today
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 2:46pm On Aug 28, 2022
Watching these guys play is torture. Again, this game is theirs to lose as Angola has been terrible. When insist on 3 point balls and ignore easy layups? Why complicate simple things.

Just tired
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 3:14pm On Aug 28, 2022
lovewins:
Watching these guys play is torture. Again, this game is theirs to lose as Angola has been terrible. When insist on 3 point balls and ignore easy layups? Why complicate simple things.

Just tired

19/3 three pointers
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 3:14pm On Aug 28, 2022
lovewins:

Their play so far is just nauseating. Turning over the ball like amateurs.

So beating Angola to me remains a tall order.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 3:37pm On Aug 28, 2022
How do you blow a 7 point lead to a 5 point deficit.

I'm done

Will just wait for the final score. These guys shouldn't be at the world cup.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 3:40pm On Aug 28, 2022
What a joke...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 3:45pm On Aug 28, 2022
lovewins:
How do you blow a 7 point lead to a 5 point deficit.

I'm done

Will just wait for the final score. These guys shouldn't be at the world cup.

Believe me if they eventually make it there 90% may likely not make the trip.

It's either they don't qualify at all if the above is the plan.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 3:46pm On Aug 28, 2022
17 turnovers so far.

That Iroegbu keeps falling like someone with one leg.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 4:09pm On Aug 28, 2022
70:67

22 turnovers.

When you lack good ball handlers, don't expect to win important games.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 4:11pm On Aug 28, 2022
We have to win our remaining three games...or it's over...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 4:14pm On Aug 28, 2022
Finishing third in our group won't he good...cus the teams in group G will have the advantage of having played more games...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 4:15pm On Aug 28, 2022
Danielnino00:
Finishing third in our group won't he good...cus the teams in group G will have the advantage of having played more games...

3rd can't go on playoff or how do you mean?
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 4:17pm On Aug 28, 2022
somehow:

3rd can't go on playoff or how do you mean?
The third best placed teams in both groups will qualify for the world cup... Africa has 5 slots...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by somehow: 4:21pm On Aug 28, 2022
Danielnino00:

The third best placed teams in both groups will qualify for the world cup...
Africa has 5 slots...

I was thinking the 3rd best from both group gets to do a playoff.

Dang!

But this is not fair since we'd be left with less games /points being that we are 2 games short.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 4:22pm On Aug 28, 2022
Danielnino00:
We have to win our remaining three games...or it's over...

I am sincerely not as invested anymore. I really do not think we should go to the world cup. This team is horrible
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 4:25pm On Aug 28, 2022
somehow:

I was thinking the 3rd best from both group gets to do a playoff.

Dang!

But this is not fair since we'd be left with less games /points being that we are 2 games short.

Maybe FIBA will reconsider... But normally, we shouldn't be worried...na we do ourselves
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 4:27pm On Aug 28, 2022
lovewins:

I am sincerely not as invested anymore. I really do not think we should go to the world cup. This team is horrible

I miss the team of 2015... That was the best male basketball team we've ever had...They weren't exactly elite, but they had the hunger,just like D'tigress...
These ones we are parading are just there..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 4:32pm On Aug 28, 2022
Danielnino00:

I miss the team of 2015... That was the best male basketball team we've ever had...They weren't exactly elite, but they had the hunger,just like D'tigress...
These ones we are parading are just there..

I thought I was alone when I expressed my disgust. Just checking twitter now and I realized a number of persons stopped watching after a while. It's not so much that we lost, it's that they played terribly. I watch the WNBA and they give a far better display that what these guys did.

Angola was horrible, we were just more horrible
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 12:12am On Aug 29, 2022
Looking at the table again, it appears that winning our remaining three games won't be enough for us to qualify.. Ivory Coast have already qualified from the group..That leaves one slot left...

Our only hope is for Guinea and Uganda to beat Cape Verde and Angola..... Realistically,that's very unlikely...

Let's focus on the women afrobasket...
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by justicechichex: 10:03am On Sep 23, 2022
Omoh still can't believe that the D'tigress are not part of this ongoing world cup after all their suffer in qualifying. Monkey dey work, baboon dey chop.

Big Shame to Sunday Dare and the NBBF for all of this. So gutted.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 10:12am On Sep 23, 2022
justicechichex:
Omoh still can't believe that the D'tigress are not part of this ongoing world cup after all their suffer in qualifying. Monkey dey work, baboon dey chop.

Big Shame to Sunday Dare and the NBBF for all of this. So gutted.

Omo e dey pain o... Look at Mali that took our spot.. Dem dey collect anyhow..
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by justicechichex: 10:18am On Sep 23, 2022
Danielnino00:

Omo e dey pain o... Look at Mali that took our spot.. Dem dey collect anyhow..

Normal normal they suppose collect, nobody for there be there mate. Not even sure they had adequate preparations cos i heard there federation was in crisis.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 10:23am On Sep 23, 2022
justicechichex:

Normal normal they suppose collect, nobody for there be there mate. Not even sure they had adequate preparations cos i heard there federation was in crisis.

They had no business in Australia. Nigeria being there was a chance to put African basketball on a better pedestal, thanks to Dare that didn't happen. Mali could also have given back the slot, guess the feeling of participating in the world cup is enough achievement for them.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by justicechichex: 10:32am On Sep 23, 2022
lovewins:

They had no business in Australia. Nigeria being there was a chance to put African basketball on a better pedestal, thanks to Dare that didn't happen. Mali could also have given back the slot, guess the feeling of participating in the world cup is enough achievement for them.

Omoh i won't blame them if they don't give the slot back. No one would reject that kind offer. Who knows when they'll be at a world cup again.
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by Danielnino00(m): 1:13pm On Sep 23, 2022
justicechichex:

They just lost 58-118 to Australia cheesy cheesy

D'tigress may not beat Australia...but we sure can't lose to them by that margin...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by lovewins: 2:49pm On Sep 23, 2022
Danielnino00:

D'tigress may not beat Australia...but we sure can't lose to them by that margin...

Funny thing is, this was the tournament the girls were bound to succeed. This particular bunch of players have been playing for at least 3 years together. They have gone to the Olympics playing top rather sides, won the Afrobasket, beat top rated France in the qualifiers and have lost narrowly to the US twice. They had everything on their side and would most assuredly have come out of the group and cause major upsets. Sadly Dare killed that momentum

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by justicechichex: 5:51pm On Sep 23, 2022
Danielnino00:

For sure.. But wait oh, so the next WC will be 2027 right?
Re: Nigeria Basketball Thread - D’Tigress At The 2024 Olympics by carbonado(m): 5:58pm On Sep 23, 2022
justicechichex:

For sure.. But wait oh, so the next WC will be 2027 right?
....2026...a lot of players from this class might not be able to attend.....Sad much...However, there is still olympics in 2 years...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (99) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Spain - Confederations Cup: (0 - 3) On 23rd June 2013 / How To Turn #150 Into #4,000,000 This Weekend + (bet9ja Booking Number) / Libya Vs Nigeria: AFCON Qualifiers - 2 - 3 (Full Time)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.