Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,456 members, 7,823,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages (16023 Views)

Innoson Displays More CNG And LNG Powered Vehicles(photos) / Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages / Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by gevans(m): 4:20pm On Jul 23, 2018
domack99:
I don't understand, you said better fuel economy as one of the advantage and still mentioned high cost of Diesel as a disadvantage.
fuel consumption in diesel engine is more economical than pms, on the other hand a litre of diesel is more expensive than a litre of pms here in Naija.

God bless Nigeria
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Blackfire(m): 4:28pm On Jul 23, 2018
I think autojosh deserve one plate of nkwobi and 3 cold small stout ...and a chikito to mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Nice exposé

1 Like

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Nonnyflex(m): 4:37pm On Jul 23, 2018
Koolking:

I think, the above are contradictory. I understand smoke is Carbon monoxide. AutoJosh, you may have convincing explanation
There's a difference between carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide and in most cases carbon monoxide is invisible and the very dangerous compared to dioxide even though the dioxide comes with thicker denser smoke and very visible
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by umuna(m): 5:36pm On Jul 23, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
Petrol or diesel-powered vehicle?

This is one buying decision that sometimes confront us.

Indeed, here in Nigeria, we have come to associate the diesel engine with big trucks and buses. Diesel cars - especially those acquired for private use - are rare Nigeria, but they are, indeed, available.

According to a research carried out by Edmunds.com: in the US, only 3% of new cars sold there are diesel-powered. Meanwhile, the opposite is the case in Europe.

Also according to the report by Edmunds.com, in Europe over 50% of the new cars sold there have diesel engines.

So, is there something that the Europeans know that the rest of us do not know?

Well, vehicles running on diesel are notorious for their clattering sound and smoke belching. However, in recent times, there have being remarkable improvements in that regard. In newer diesel cars – even an untrained ear will find it difficult to differentiate between a car running on diesel or high-octane petrol. Even emission controls have improved for diesel cars.

Anyway, let analyze some advantages and disadvantages of the diesel-powered vehicles.

Better Fuel Economy

Diesel vehicles can travel further distances with little fuel. They can can deliver up to 25% to 30% better fuel economy compared to vehicles that are powered by petrol engines. However, it is important to note that the model and automotive technology of the engine also plays a huge part when it comes to fuel economy performance. Otherwise, diesel engines typically consume far less fuel than similarly performing petrol-engines.

Tougher and Rugged Engines

Diesel engines are rugged. They are designed to withstand the challenge of higher compression. They perform better, that is why they are used in vehicles designed for commercial transportation. What diesel-powered vehicles lack in speed (indeed, they are slower than petrol-powered vehicles) they make up in strength.

Less Carbon-Monoxide Emission

Diesel engines emits far less carbon monoxide than petrol-powered engines. This particular advantage is why diesel engines are preferred in some non-automotive machines in environments that carbon monoxide can prove dangerous. For example, in power generators, in submarines, in mines, etc. However, this does not mean that they do not emit carbon monoxide, but not in the potentially fatal amount like petrol engines do.

Higher Torque

Torque is a rotating force produced by a vehicle engine’s crankshaft. This translate into strong pulling power. The more torque an engine produces, the greater its ability to perform work, towing objects or carry heavy load. Torque becomes more important as vehicles get larger and heavier. Diesel-powered engines offer a higher torque than petrol-driving engines. This is the reason why larger vehicles – or vehicles designed for towing or carrying heavy loads – tend to be fitted with diesel engines. Diesels engines offer more torque at lower revs than petrol engines. A small car can easily cruise along with very little torque, whereas a big SUV, truck and toying vehicles needs a lot of torque to get it moving. Diesels engines are known for their exceptional torque delivery even at low RPMs.

Diesel is Safer

Diesel vehicles have proven significantly safer than regular petrol vehicles for several reasons. For instance, diesel is more difficult to catch on fire or burn than petrol and it will not normally explode when exposed to a high heat source. Since diesel fuel does not release fumes like petrol, the possibility of diesel vapours igniting and causing a vehicle fire is much lower. All of these factors contribute to providing increased protection for motorists in the event of a major car accident when driving their vehicles.

Excellent for Towing

Vehicles that are manufactured to use diesel as fuel are typically produced to have a lot of torque (pulling power) at low engine speeds. For instance, a 4-cylinder diesel vehicle can produce as much torque as a 6-cylinder petrol engine.

No Ignition Tune-ups Required

Diesel-powered vehicle do not need ignition tune-ups, this is because they do not have spark plugs or distributors. This is a big advantage for diesel engines. Diesel fuel automatically ignites to power the engine. It is for this reason that it does not require a spark plug or distributor – and by extension, the overall maintenance costs of diesel-powered vehicles are significantly lowered as compared to petrol-powered cars and trucks.

More Reliable And Last longer

Indeed, diesel engines have proven to be more reliable than petrol powered engines. They also tend to last longer. This is because they are generally built stronger than petrol engines. One reason for this is the fact that diesel engines does not require a high-voltage ignition system. Also, they also do not emit RF (radio frequency) that can cause issues with a vehicle’s electronic system. As long as car owners keep up with oil changes and other routine maintenance on the vehicle, it is not unheard of to see a diesel engine far outlast the other components in a vehicle.

Diesel Costs More Than Petrol

In some countries like Nigeria, the most obvious disadvantage of using a diesel powered-vehicle is the relative higher cost. They tend to cost more than petrol.

Regular Maintenance

For the fact that they do not have spark plugs or distributors, a diesel vehicle does not need ignition tune-ups. However, the absence of these elements also means you have to do more when it comes to maintaining your vehicle. In other words, the vehicle would need to have the oil, air and fuel filters changed on a regular basis.

Slower Speed Performance
If you are expecting high-speed performance from your diesel-powered car, then you might be disappointed. Diesel vehicles, though more efficient, stronger and more enduring, tend to be slower in speed performance than petrol-powered vehicles. It is for this reason that sport cars are rarely designed to use diesel.

Noisy Engine

The engines of diesel vehicles tend to produce a lot of noise, especially the clattering type. Although manufacturers today are getting good at using sound-muffling insulation in their diesel cars. That notwithstanding, diesel engines still have a bit of that characteristic diesel clatter.

They Generate a Lot of Smoke and Smell

Diesel vehicles are notorious for generating a lot of smoke. This is primarily due to the low-tech diesels found in older vehicles. However, today’s diesels are far more refined and are almost entirely smoke- and odor-free. This is due to cleaner (low sulfur) diesel, special exhaust additives, and advanced catalytic converter technology, today’s modern diesel car are more environmentally friendly than its gasoline

Scarcity of Good Diesel Mechanics

Unlike petrol-powered vehicles, mechanic who are proficient in repairing diesel powered vehicle are hard to come by.

Source:

https://autojosh.com/diesel-powered-vehicles-their-advantages-and-disadvantages/

Nice write up. But you forgot to add that a diesel powered car owner must have a good rewire, because the engine hardly gives problem when you do regular service, but wiring problems.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by ewawumi(f): 5:41pm On Jul 23, 2018
Nonnyflex:

There's a difference between carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide and in most cases carbon monoxide is invisible and the very dangerous compared to dioxide even though the dioxide comes with thicker denser smoke and very visible
Pls are you saying cars emit co² too?
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 23, 2018
oglalasioux:
It's not true that diesel cars go slower. Let your engine warm up for at least five minutes in the morning before moving. It will run like every other car.

The noise is usually during idle mode. Once the car is revved it smooths out.

Diesel is more expensive than petrol but it burns slower giving you more miles on less fuel. Besides you can never be stranded, fuel wise, with a diesel car. Kerosene is sold everywhere in Nigeria. 5 litres of kerosene can take you to the nearest fuel station from wherever you are.

The only disadvantage of diesel cars is the low number of technicians in Nigeria that know how to service it.

Did you say kerosene?
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by erico2k2(m): 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2018
Mutemenot:
Diesel powered cars are cheaper . I may give one a try afterall I'm not chasing anyone so the speed dies not matter to me
Wrong Diesel cost more.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by erico2k2(m): 6:38pm On Jul 23, 2018
umuna:

Nice write up. But you forgot to add that a diesel powered car owner must have a good rewire, because the engine hardly gives problem when you do regular service, but wiring problems.
The wiring is 90%_same .
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by erico2k2(m): 6:40pm On Jul 23, 2018
Octaves:
modern diesel cars are not slow but compared to their petrol equivalents are a bit slower
Not anymore bro .
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by erico2k2(m): 6:42pm On Jul 23, 2018
profosenogoboy:
Buy diesel engine car at your own parrel l hate that dot with passion
You must be talking old diesel cars . I jst changed my BMW to diesel model 320D
Noise almost gone frm cold start . No need to wait for glow plug to warm up anymore

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by erico2k2(m): 6:48pm On Jul 23, 2018
omar22:
Advantages

They are stronger/ Durable /reliable

They give you more miles to the gallon than petrol

Disadvantage

They are slow off the line

The engine are noisy

They are not as rapid as the petrol engine

Trouble starting them in the cold weather

I stopped using petrol engine cars since 2008. On my diesel I spend as much as someone using a 1.2 petrol engine car on my 2.0 Peugeot 407
Correct dude . They dnt know the advantages of diesel . My 2ltr drives like a 1.2 engine plus I now pay 17 pounds per month rd tax compared to my 2ltr petrol that cost 26 pounds per month
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Octaves(m): 6:58pm On Jul 23, 2018
erico2k2:

Not anymore bro .
check some new car specs with diesel and petrol engines of the same capacity
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by erico2k2(m): 8:07pm On Jul 23, 2018
Octaves:
check some new car specs with diesel and petrol engines of the same capacity
I bought a brand new diesel car 2012,so I k now what Im talking about.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by umuna(m): 8:23pm On Jul 23, 2018
erico2k2:

The wiring is 90%_same .

You are not clear please.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by erico2k2(m): 8:30pm On Jul 23, 2018
umuna:

You are not clear please.
U said re wire, I said the diesel and petrol are of same wire up to the percentage I gave
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Nonnyflex(m): 8:47pm On Jul 23, 2018
ewawumi:
Pls are you saying cars emit co² too?
Of course
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by oglalasioux(m): 9:07pm On Jul 23, 2018
greyham:

Did you say kerosene?

Kerosene powers diesel engines very well. Disadvantages are black smoke and bad nozzles.

Besides, corrupt fuel dealers mix large quantities of kerosene or DPK to diesel or AGO to make high profits sometimes at 50-50 ratio during the days of DPK subsidy. Back then DPK sold at 50 naira per litre pump price and AGO was 85 naira. Making 45 naira per litre profit drove the dealers crazy. AGO was almost DPK back then. Telecom companies were the cash cows back then for fuel dealers.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Tommynkem(m): 9:55pm On Jul 23, 2018
mean while you can contact me if u want diesel at #228/ltr. whatsapp or call 08030539050. over 33,000 ltrs available. it's legit.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Octaves(m): 10:11pm On Jul 23, 2018
erico2k2:

I bought a brand new diesel car 2012,so I k now what Im talking about.
would you care to state the car model. let's compare with the petrol versions
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by erico2k2(m): 10:15pm On Jul 23, 2018
Octaves:
would you care to state the car model. let's compare with the petrol versions
Range Rover Sport Autobiography.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by zyphr(m): 10:19pm On Jul 23, 2018
.[/quote]

shocked
oglalasioux:
Besides you can never be stranded, fuel wise, with a diesel car. Kerosene is sold everywhere in Nigeria. 5 litres of kerosene can take you to the nearest fuel station from wherever you are.

shocked Kerosene Are you for real?
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Antichristus: 10:50pm On Jul 23, 2018
I’m already riding a hybrid. grin grin grin
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Octaves(m): 11:23pm On Jul 23, 2018
erico2k2:

Range Rover Sport Autobiography.
unfortunately the car doesn't have direct petrol equivalents I.e all the petrol versions have capacity of above 4.0l while the diesel versions are all below 4.0. but the diesel engines are quite advanced no doubt. but in an era where many engines including diesel engines are turbocharged. it is difficult to get a balanced comparison. anyways in my experience with engines. diesel usually have lower HP than petrol and petrol less torque than diesel (everything being equal). in reality this translates to diesel have more towing power and petrol performing better speedwise.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by oglalasioux(m): 1:04am On Jul 24, 2018
zyphr:

:oBesides you can never be stranded, fuel wise, with a diesel car. Kerosene is sold everywhere in Nigeria. 5 litres of kerosene can take you to the nearest fuel station from wherever you are.

shocked Kerosene Are you for real?

I'm shocked many people don't know kerosene drives diesel engines. Jet fuel is high quality kerosene.

Bonus:

Nigerian crude oil is so high quality it can drive diesel engines without refining; another advantage of diesel cars.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by BentSpoon(m): 2:09am On Jul 24, 2018
Mutemenot:
Diesel powered cars are cheaper . I may give one a try afterall I'm not chasing anyone so the speed dies not matter to me
laffs... Devil forgive u if robbers pursue u with petrol powered engine
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by erico2k2(m): 9:10am On Jul 24, 2018
Octaves:
unfortunately the car doesn't have direct petrol equivalents I.e all the petrol versions have capacity of above 4.0l while the diesel versions are all below 4.0. but the diesel engines are quite advanced no doubt. but in an era where many engines including diesel engines are turbocharged. it is difficult to get a balanced comparison. anyways in my experience with engines. diesel usually have lower HP than petrol and petrol less torque than diesel (everything being equal). in reality this translates to diesel have more towing power and petrol performing better speedwise.
The reason above was the reason I said only old diesel cars could be described as being slow . The diesel engine is by far rugged than the petrol Engine cos of the way it's built . In terms of cold start . This was taken care of by a clever device called the webesto . Ie Boiler . Like I said I have and SUV diesel and a saloon diesel . I also own a petrol SUV in 9ja . I can tell of the difference . If not for the diesel fuel challenge you are better off driving diesel . My one is a 3 ltr diesel range rover . But my fuel consumption is same as that of camry 2ltr in cash money . I took fee pics on my saloon it says howmany mikes I gt b4 I run out complete on fuel
See bellow
64 miles for that little but of diesel left

Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by erico2k2(m): 9:15am On Jul 24, 2018
oglalasioux:

I'm shocked many people don't know kerosene drives diesel engines. Jet fuel is high quality kerosene.

Bonus:

Nigerian crude oil is so high quality it can drive diesel engines without refining; another advantage of diesel cars.
Not the newer diesel with Euro6 ratings . I understand what you mean though as a good old Gen set use such at the Mrs . But I Euro 6 diesel Engines which would anything above 2010 would die.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Octaves(m): 2:04am On Jul 25, 2018
erico2k2:

The reason above was the reason I said only old diesel cars could be described as being slow . The diesel engine is by far rugged than the petrol Engine cos of the way it's built . In terms of cold start . This was taken care of by a clever device called the webesto . Ie Boiler . Like I said I have and SUV diesel and a saloon diesel . I also own a petrol SUV in 9ja . I can tell of the difference . If not for the diesel fuel challenge you are better off driving diesel . My one is a 3 ltr diesel range rover . But my fuel consumption is same as that of camry 2ltr in cash money . I took fee pics on my saloon it says howmany mikes I gt b4 I run out complete on fuel
See bellow
ok. that's great
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 25, 2018
oglalasioux:

Kerosene powers diesel engines very well. Disadvantages are black smoke and bad nozzles.

Besides, corrupt fuel dealers mix large quantities of kerosene or DPK to diesel or AGO to make high profits sometimes at 50-50 ratio during the days of DPK subsidy. Back then DPK sold at 50 naira per litre pump price and AGO was 85 naira. Making 45 naira per litre profit drove the dealers crazy. AGO was almost DPK back then. Telecom companies were the cash cows back then for fuel dealers.

Wow! These guys really brought the "d" in DPK

This is why diesel has a bad rep in Nigeria unless you're buying from a verified source.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jul 25, 2018
erico2k2:

Correct dude . They dnt know the advantages of diesel . My 2ltr drives like a 1.2 engine plus I now pay 17 pounds per month rd tax compared to my 2ltr petrol that cost 26 pounds per month

That e90 won't last a year in Nigeria.
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 25, 2018
erico2k2:

See bellow

Regarding cold starts, how does your car cope with winter? What grade of engine oil do you use? Does it matter?
Re: Diesel-powered Vehicles: Their Advantages And Disadvantages by erico2k2(m): 8:28pm On Jul 25, 2018
greyham:

Regarding cold starts, how does your car cope with winter? What grade of engine oil do you use? Does it matter?
they have something that warms up the Engine pretty fast
Oil 5W30

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help, What Are The Dangers Of Using Cars Coverted From Right To Left Hand Drive / Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? / 7 Useful Car Accessories Under 6k Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.