Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,162 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments (11781 Views)

China Limits Video Gaming Hours For Minors To Three Hours A Week / 6 Biggest Lies Ever Told In Video Gaming History / Valentine: 10 Greatest Love Stories In Video Gaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Nobody: 11:01am On Jul 24, 2018
https://www.gameskinny.com/0nwmx/we-need-more-black-protagonists-in-gaming

[img]https://1.bp..com/-5QdU4jJ-Ic8/WGMjSNDvhoI/AAAAAAAAAYk/qUnhQgmFZ_MQCY3mHG4JdmoARsctxq3iACLcB/s1600/black-video-game-characters-2016.jpg[/img]

Once upon a time in 2005, I saw my brother playing a game he called Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas . I shouldn't have been watching this game since I was only eight and there were massive amounts of violence and profanity. But there was something that really resonated with me at that time: my brother was playing as someone that was black.

This was surprising since in most games I would play, it was either an animal-like character or a white person that I controlled. The only games that I can remember playing from that time that had black playable characters were Beyond Good and Evil and the WWE games. But I felt like Carl Johnson, the main character in GTA: San Andreas, resonated with me because he looked like me.

Using the movie as a reference, the Hollywood movie industry has been shy of black protagonist for decades until the advent of the ground breaking Black Panther. In case you're having trouble keeping up Black Panther is currently the fourth top grossing movie of all time that just how profitable the potrayal of the black culture in movies could get.

But why can't we get same in video games?

Modern gaming is certainly guilty of playing things too safe. For every Lucio, CJ, Lee Everett or an RPG where you have free reign over skin colour and gender, there are endless white protagonists.
There’s nothing WRONG with this, but try and list any well-known black protagonists, or female black protagonists. We’re in desperate need of projects that not only exude interest and engagement through everything I’ve mentioned, but to create games that wear these qualities on their sleeve, empowering, educating and progressing society in tow.

I remember the first time I played Mass Effect when I was 14, and I looked up to the character David Anderson. He was just this father figure and sort of a mentor to Commander Shepard, and he went against all the stereotypes of a black male in gaming at the time. I feel like he was a great representation of what a black male can be without verging into stereotype territory.

And let me not forget to say he was so damn cool.

I didn't get into the Final Fantasy series until just a few years ago, but I will always remember Final Fantasy VII because of how turned off I was from the game due to Barrett Wallace. He was loud, as the speech text would make him seem. He would curse at people like Cloud when he was mad, and he was also big and muscular. This seriously disappointed me, because it is not uncommon to find black stereotypical characters in Japanese media.

Understanding what makes these things offensive and not playing into stereotypes of black people is something Japanese developers and anime writers need to learn before feeding into it.

Developers also have a problem with making black people the main antagonist or an "evil character" in games. One of the biggest offenders in this regard is Resident Evil 5. Since this game takes place in Africa, you are expecting to see a lot of black people. The problem is, you are playing as Chris Redfield , a white man cry , in the game who is killing a multitude of black people throughout.

This led to controversy and backlash when the game was first shown to the public. I remember being on the playground in school back when I was in Jss3 talking about this to friends, because I was such a big Resident Evil fan and this came as a huge shock.

The same can even be said for Resident Evil 4, which has you killing a bunch of Spanish people as a gruff, white man.

We need developers to start adding more black, playable characters in gaming, be they black males or females. We need more characters like Lincoln Clay and Marcus Holloway because there aren't many, and that is a shame.

4 Likes

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by MobileGees: 12:03pm On Jul 24, 2018
so what should we do with this piece of information angry

3 Likes

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by joganut(m): 1:39pm On Jul 24, 2018
[s]
Vasaratti16:
[img]https://1.bp..com/-5QdU4jJ-Ic8/WGMjSNDvhoI/AAAAAAAAAYk/qUnhQgmFZ_MQCY3mHG4JdmoARsctxq3iACLcB/s1600/black-video-game-characters-2016.jpg[/img]

Once upon a time in 2005, I saw my brother playing a game he called Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas . I shouldn't have been watching this game since I was only eight and there were massive amounts of violence and profanity. But there was something that really resonated with me at that time: my brother was playing as someone that was black.

This was surprising since in most games I would play, it was either an animal-like character or a white person that I controlled. The only games that I can remember playing from that time that had black playable characters were Beyond Good and Evil and the WWE games. But I felt like Carl Johnson, the main character in GTA: San Andreas, resonated with me because he looked like me.

Using the movie as a reference, the Hollywood movie industry has been shy of black protagonist for decades until the advent of the ground breaking Black Panther. In case you're having trouble keeping up Black Panther is currently the fourth top grossing movie of all time that just how profitable the potrayal of the black culture in movies could get.

Modern gaming is certainly guilty of playing things too safe. For every Lucio, CJ, Lee Everett or an RPG where you have free reign over skin colour and gender, there are endless white protagonists.
There’s nothing WRONG with this, but try and list any well-known black protagonists, or female black protagonists. We’re in desperate need of projects that not only exude interest and engagement through everything I’ve mentioned, but to create games that wear these qualities on their sleeve, empowering, educating and progressing society in tow.

I remember the first time I played Mass Effect when I was 14, and I looked up to the character David Anderson. He was just this father figure and sort of a mentor to Commander Shepard, and he went against all the stereotypes of a black male in gaming at the time. I feel like he was a great representation of what a black male can be without verging into stereotype territory.

I didn't get into the Final Fantasy series until just a few years ago, but I will always remember Final Fantasy VII because of how turned off I was from the game due to Barrett Wallace. He was loud, as the speech text would make him seem. He would curse at people like Cloud when he was mad, and he was also big and muscular. This seriously disappointed me, because it is not uncommon to find black stereotypical characters in Japanese media.

Understanding what makes these things offensive and not playing into stereotypes of black people is something Japanese developers and anime writers need to learn before feeding into it.

Developers also have a problem with making black people the main antagonist or an "evil character" in games. One of the biggest offenders in this regard is Resident Evil 5. Since this game takes place in Africa, you are expecting to see a lot of black people. The problem is, you are playing as Chris Redfield , a white man cry , in the game who is killing a multitude of black people throughout.

This led to controversy and backlash when the game was first shown to the public. I remember being on the playground in school back when I was in Jss3 talking about this to friends, because I was such a big Resident Evil fan and this came as a huge shock.

The same can even be said for Resident Evil 4, which has you killing a bunch of Spanish people as a gruff, white man.

We need developers to start adding more black, playable characters in gaming, be they black males or females. We need more characters like Lincoln Clay and Marcus Holloway because there aren't many, and that is a shame.

[/s]

6 Likes

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by sureteeboy(m): 1:40pm On Jul 24, 2018
Vasaratti16:
[ Black Panther is currently the fourth top grossing movie of all time

Where did you get this information from? The last time I checked, Black Panther isn't in the top 5 highest grossing movies of all time.

8 Likes

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by TheUbermensch: 1:41pm On Jul 24, 2018
I have never seen a problem with things like this.

First question is who makes these games? Who funds it? Who's in charge of creative design and story development? As per race it's the white man. So you don't expect him to place a black man as the protagonist.

If a black person creates a game that involves shooting a bunch of white people, heaven will not fall.

We should stop asking for the Whiteman to be unnecessarily sympathetic.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Sardonicus: 1:42pm On Jul 24, 2018
Nothing is stopping black people from making one for themeselves.

The white does not have to always build and sell their own black pride to them.

7 Likes

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by rhythyson: 1:42pm On Jul 24, 2018
MobileGees:
so what should we do with this piece of information angry

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by omamush(f): 1:44pm On Jul 24, 2018
I don't know what this information is all about, all I know is games and black panther
Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by usmanktg2(m): 1:44pm On Jul 24, 2018
The blacks kill its own. I developed a game "The Sky Island", 12 years ago when I was in JSS3. No sponsorship, No support even from family members. I ended up being the only player of my game cheesy cheesy cheesy

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 1:45pm On Jul 24, 2018
factual
Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by manny4u(m): 1:46pm On Jul 24, 2018
That would make sense.

You want to earn passive income before the end of today? please check my signature
Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 24, 2018
Great write up and points succintingly made! smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 24, 2018
Horus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYdVutCKigQ

'Black Panther' becomes top-grossing superhero film of all time
don't be ignorant bruv Black panther is not the top grossing super -hero movie of all time.

Where you wan put Star Wars? Even Black panther is not among the top 5 grossing
Movies of all time undecided

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/movies/the-biggest-box-office-hits-of-all-time-1.5369007

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Premiumwriter: 1:57pm On Jul 24, 2018
Sardonicus:
Nothing is stopping black people from making one for themeselves.

The white does not have to always build and sell their own black pride to them.
exactly.

Imagine one dude was arguing that why don't we have a keyboard in our local language, saying the white art turning us into "intellectual slaves"

I was like, so it's the white that'll invent keyboards for every African language

2 Likes

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by karllemah44(m): 2:00pm On Jul 24, 2018
usmanktg2:
The blacks kill its own. I developed a game "The Sky Island", 12 years ago when I was in JSS3. No sponsorship, No support even from family members. I ended up being the only player of my game cheesy cheesy cheesy
how did u develop it...I'm interested
Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Sharpshooota: 2:00pm On Jul 24, 2018
Good one

Op no mind these lazy youths

1 Like

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Offpoint: 2:07pm On Jul 24, 2018
Like saying Yoruba man should be the one sewing igbo cultural dresses..... what happen to Yoruba sewing their cultural dresses?

If you need a black character... create one..... simple

1 Like

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Proffdada: 2:08pm On Jul 24, 2018
Most games are now customisable
Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Proffdada: 2:09pm On Jul 24, 2018
karllemah44:
how did u develop it...I'm interested
are you a fan of programming and 3d design?
Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 24, 2018
Vasaratti16:

where did you get this your information from? Cause Black panther is not the 4th grossing movies of all time currently. undecided

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/movies/the-biggest-box-office-hits-of-all-time-1.5369007

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Feranchek(m): 2:15pm On Jul 24, 2018
Like someone already said, if the black man develops a game where blacks are the protagonists, and the whites antagonists, heaven won't fall!! I'm the developer, so I hold the knife and the yam. If e dey pain you as I rake cut my yam, goan buy your own knife and your own yam. Shikina

3 Likes

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by BedLam: 2:20pm On Jul 24, 2018
Entitlement. Why are blacks not developing games ?

1 Like

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by franklingud(m): 2:30pm On Jul 24, 2018
sureteeboy:

Where did you get this information from? The last time I checked, Black Panther isn't in the top 5 highest grossing movies of all time.
Black panther is now 4th highest grossing movie.
Google it again.
Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by pyxon(m): 2:33pm On Jul 24, 2018
sureteeboy:

Check again!
Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 24, 2018
Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Horus(m): 2:48pm On Jul 24, 2018

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by sureteeboy(m): 2:53pm On Jul 24, 2018
franklingud:

Google it again.
Lol. Black Panther grossed less than 1.4 Billion.
1. Avatar (2009) $2,787,965,087
2. Titanic (1997) $2,187,463,944
3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) $2,068,223,624
4. Avengers: Infinity War) 2018) $2,043,009,571
5. Jurassic World (2015) $1,671,713,208
Black Panther is the 9th highest grossing film of all time with a worldwide gross of $1,346,596,927
Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by derrydinny: 2:53pm On Jul 24, 2018
nairaland mods and collecting money to move things to front page are like 5&6

abeg help me with that zuma meme

4 Likes

Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by teewhydope(m): 2:59pm On Jul 24, 2018
Horus:

don't be ridiculous. where will u put titanic, avatar, star wars, avengers 1& 2
Re: Video Gaming Desperately Needs It's "Black Panther" Moments by Gmajor(m): 3:01pm On Jul 24, 2018
franklingud:

Google it again.
The way people spew factual inaccuracies with authoritativeness just baffles me.
The 4th highest grossing movie of all time is Avengers.Infinity.War.2018.
A simple google search could have saved you the embarrassment.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cheat Codes For 'God Of War' On PS2 / Get The Answer And Win Recharge Card!!! / Monopoly Lagos Version Launched In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.