Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Mary Is Not The Mother Of God - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mary Is Not The Mother Of God (21279 Views)

Catholic Are 100% Right By Saying Mary Is The Mother Of GOD! / There Is A Logical Fallacy In The Argument That Mary Is The Mother Of God / RCCG's 'Office Of The Mother In Israel'. Folu Adeboye's Title: Meaning? (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by blueAgent(m): 6:07pm On Sep 24, 2018
solite3:
plus read John 1:1

John1:1 matches Proverbs8:22

Both describes in the beginning of creation.
God was with someone(Word,Son, Jesus Christ) verse 8
before the depths and foundation of the Earth were made God was with his Son JesusChrist.

I would like you to consider
◄ Philippians 2:6
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not
robbery to be equal with God.

In other words Jesus had the essence and attributes of God,as a result of been born by God also makes him God but he never saw himself equal with God(father)

Also consider
1 Corinthians 15:28 that Christ
will be subject to God forever: When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

I don't accept or totally agree with the trinity doctrine.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 24, 2018
blueAgent:

John1:1 matches Proverbs8:22

Both describes in the beginning of creation.
God was with someone(Word,Son, Jesus Christ) verse 8
before the depths and foundation of the Earth were made God was with his Son JesusChrist.

I would like you to consider
◄ Philippians 2:6
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not
robbery to be equal with God.

In other words Jesus had the essence and attributes of God,as a result of been born by God also makes him God but he never saw himself equal with God(father)

Also consider
1 Corinthians 15:28 that Christ
will be subject to God forever: When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

I don't accept or totally agree with the trinity doctrine.
so if Jesus is not God who is he?
how does proverb 8:22 matches John 1:2
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by MuttleyLaff: 8:08pm On Sep 24, 2018
Syncan:
Wow! Where have I been.
Took time to read through the whole thread, read through the wheat and weed alike.
If I may ask, Muttleylaff, has this always been your belief on this topic?
www.nairaland.com/attachments/7709849_img20171102162431edit_jpegbb0d985a572d439b089da36ae6da5bc9
"Pussy cat, pussy cat, where have you been? ...
I've been to London to visit the Queen.
"

Aside taking you down memory lane with the above nursery rhyme,
please Syncan, enjoy the skit cartoon too above it

Objectively? Yes, always, has been my belief on the topic
My comments are a dead giveaway, that's my belief

"37For nothing will be impossible with God.”
38“I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered.
“May it happen to me according to your word.”
Then the angel left her.
"
- Luke 38:37-38

God had a mother, the minute, Mary in, Luke 38:38 agreed
and gave permission for this to happen with the "May it happen to me according to your word." remark

1 Like

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by UbiPetrus: 8:34pm On Sep 24, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/7709849_img20171102162431edit_jpegbb0d985a572d439b089da36ae6da5bc9
"

Then the angel left her.
"

and gave permission for this to happen with the "May it happen to me according to your word." remark
And I stand with you on this.
It is simply the truth of the word of God.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by UbiPetrus: 8:43pm On Sep 24, 2018
And the duo above Muttleylaff can hardly agree on the Trinity doctrine. Yet, they argue against the truth of Mary's motherhood, parading a false unity.
A house divided against itself...
It's funny how protestants have a common enemy... And funny enough, that enemy is not even the Devil. It is the Catholic Church and the truth of God's word, instead.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Gggg102(m): 9:01pm On Sep 24, 2018
solite3:
dodging what? your question is silly
keep dodging.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 9:36pm On Sep 24, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
"

Then the angel left her.
"

you can also say that David is the father of God

Matthew 1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

Matthew 22:42 Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The son of David.

Matthew 22:43 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,

Matthew 22:45 If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

Mark 12:35 And Jesus answered and said, while he taught in the temple, How say the scribes that Christ is the son of David?

Mark 12:36 For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Mark 12:37 David therefore himself calleth him Lord; and whence is he then his son? And the common people heard him gladly.

Luke 20:41 And he said unto them, How say they that Christ is David's son?

Luke 20:42 And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Luke 20:44 David therefore calleth him Lord, how is he then his son?

Romans 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

I love the bible so much, it always confound the wisdom stupidity of learned men.

1 Corinthians 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

1 Corinthians 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

the bible reveals that there is something called father in the flesh,
meaning that the fatherhood of David to Jesus has to do with his flesh not his divinity, hence Jesus asked the people how did the Christ became the son of david? since David call the Christ Lord, here Jesus was separating his eternal Sonship which from his earthly sonship something you folks term as impossible.

how did Jesus became son of David?
through Mary
how did Jesus become son of God?
he didn't become the son, he was so from everlasting.

Jesus heavenly Sonship is different from his earthly sonship hence the phrase 'son of man' and 'Son of God
hence Mary is the mother of Jesus according to the flesh.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Gggg102(m): 4:58am On Sep 25, 2018
solite3:

Matthew 1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

Matthew 22:42 Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The son of David.

Matthew 22:43 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,

Mark 12:35 And Jesus answered and said, while he taught in the temple, How say the scribes that Christ is the son of David?

Mark 12:36 For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Mark 12:37 David therefore himself calleth him Lord; and whence is he then his son? And the common people heard him gladly.

Luke 20:42 And David himself saith in the book of Psalms, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Romans 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

I love the bible so much, it always confound the wisdom stupidity of learned men.

1 Corinthians 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

1 Corinthians 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

meaning that the fatherhood of David to Jesus has to do with his flesh not his divinity, hence Jesus asked the people how did the Christ became the son of david? since David call the Christ Lord, here Jesus was separating his eternal Sonship which from his earthly sonship something you folks term as impossible.

through Mary

Jesus heavenly Sonship is different from his earthly sonship hence the phrase 'son of man' and 'Son of God

REPEATING THE SAME FALSE ARGUMENT IN A DIFFERENT FORMAT WON'T MAGICALLY MAKE IT TRUE.

1 Like

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by MuttleyLaff: 5:36am On Sep 25, 2018
solite3:

meaning that the fatherhood of David to Jesus has to do with his flesh not his divinity,
hence Jesus asked the people how did the Christ became the son of david?
since David call the Christ Lord, here Jesus was separating his eternal Sonship which from his earthly sonship something you folks term as impossible.

through Mary

With the exception of God,
no other spirit(s), whether good or evil ones (e.g. demons, satan angels, other celestial being) can, has or had become flesh (i.e. incarnation)
This is a first and last one of a kind, thing

35While Jesus was teaching in the temple courts, He asked,
“How can the scribes say that the Christ is the son of David?
36Speaking by the Holy Spirit, David himself declared:
‘The Lord said to my Lord,
“Sit at My right hand until I put Your enemies under Your feet.”’
37David himself calls Him Lord.
So how can He be David’s son?”
And the large crowd listened to Him with delight.

- Mark 12:35-37

Jesus, is said to be the Seed of David, because courtesy of Mary's bloodline, He has a line of descent traced to David.

About Jesus being addressed as Seed or Son on of David, or Jesus calling Himself, Son of Man, these are just titles.
The former (i.e. Son of David), is describing Him, as descended from a David seed, which is via Mary
and the latter (i.e. Son of Man), is Him, solemnly declaring verbally His incarnation, as being a male version of the human-being product.

Returning to the original discussion, technically, and in a biological manner, Mary, is the mother of God
Technically and/or biologically wise, David, on the other hand, isnt the father of God
Mary gave birth to God and a human being, David has not and never did

David cant be referred to as the Father of God because of the cogent reason illustratively made clear by Jesus in Mark 12:35-37 above

1 Like

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 7:18am On Sep 25, 2018
Gggg102:

REPEATING THE SAME FALSE ARGUMENT IN A DIFFERENT FORMAT WON'T MAGICALLY MAKE IT TRUE.

the truth obviously hurts. It hurts so much that you typed in all caps but it remains the truth.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Gggg102(m): 7:23am On Sep 25, 2018
solite3:

the truth obviously hurts. It hurts so much that you typed in all caps but it remains the truth.

NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU DENY IT, MARY REMAINS THE MOTHER OF GOD.
the all caps and bold is so that is would be easier for your blinded eye and mind to see.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Gggg102(m): 7:25am On Sep 25, 2018
solite3:

you've still not told us the moment you became a human being after your mother gave birth to flesh alone.

and if your mother gave birth to flesh alone, does that not mean you were stillborn?
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by UbiPetrus: 7:28am On Sep 25, 2018
solite3:

And his truth hurt you badly.

2 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Gggg102(m): 7:30am On Sep 25, 2018
UbiPetrus:
And his truth hurt you badly.
not even my truth, it is the truth.

1 Like

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by UbiPetrus: 7:30am On Sep 25, 2018
Gggg102:

you've still not told us the moment you became a human being after your mother gave birth to flesh alone.

and if your mother gave birth to flesh alone, does that not mean you were stillborn?
He obviously can't answer that. It makes a mess of his entire argument. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by UbiPetrus: 7:31am On Sep 25, 2018
Gggg102:

not even my truth, it is the truth.
O yes, brother. The truth.

2 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Gggg102(m): 7:31am On Sep 25, 2018
UbiPetrus:
He obviously can't answer that. It makes a mess of his entire argument. grin grin grin

that's why he is hiding under the banner of "silly question".
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Syncan(m): 7:37am On Sep 25, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
"

Then the angel left her.
"

Thanks for the warm welcome cheesy cheesy, even God's mother would be too humble to collect more than God cheesy cheesy

Why do you think other non-Catholics such as the OP find it difficult to accept this, reading through this thread, you can see posts that could make the mother of the poster cringe with horror, just because the poster wants to deny that Mary is the mother of God. I have read people taking motherhood to "pre-existence" times, whatever that means. I have read people say that once the people leave earth you stop calling them mother of their children. Why do you think your bible passages did not suffice?
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 25, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
With the exception of God,
no other spirit(s), whether good or evil ones (e.g. demons, satan angels, other celestial being) can, has or had become flesh (i.e. incarnation)
This is a first and last one of a kind, thing

35While Jesus was teaching in the temple courts, He asked,
“How can the scribes say that the Christ is the son of David?
36Speaking by the Holy Spirit, David himself declared:
‘The Lord said to my Lord,
“Sit at My right hand until I put Your enemies under Your feet.”’
37David himself calls Him Lord.
So how can He be David’s son?”
And the large crowd listened to Him with delight.

- Mark 12:35-37

Jesus, is said to be the Seed of David, because courtesy of Mary's bloodline, He has a line of descent traced to David.

About Jesus being addressed as Seed or Son on of David, or Jesus calling Himself, Son of Man, these are just titles.
The former (i.e. Son of David), is describing Him, as descended from a David seed which is via Mary
and the latter (i.e. Son of Man), is Him, solemnly declaring verbally His incarnation, as being a male version of the human-being product.

Returning to the original discussion, technically, and in a biological manner, Mary, is the mother of God
Technically and/or biologically wise, David, on the other hand, isnt the father of God
Mary gave birth to God and a human being, David has not and never did

David cant be referred to as the Father of God because of the cogent reason illustratively made clear by Jesus in Mark 12:35-37 above
you have shifted to technically, when I said mary motherhood of Jesus only applied biologically, Benedictus and Co opposed themselves now you have come to terms with it.
nice one.
now is God a biological entity?
did Jesus divine nature as one without father or mother change after his incernation ?

Christ is the promised seed of David not mary.
no sir Jesus son of David is not just a title unless you want to deny that Christ is not David's seed.
here what Christ said,

Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

Revelation 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

following your logic, david can technically be referred to as father of God biological wise
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Syncan(m): 8:10am On Sep 25, 2018
In about the year 429AD, a certain Bishop called Nestorius ran into the same difficulty as some posters here. Note that before this time, no one had disputed calling Mary "Mother of God". In response to this Bishop, an extract from Bishop Cyril's letter to him read thus:

"the holy fathers... have ventured to call the holy Virgin Theotokos, not as though the nature of the Word or his divinity received the beginning of their existence from the holy Virgin, but because from her was born his holy body, rationally endowed with a soul, with which [body] the Word was united according to the hypostasis, and is said to have been begotten according to the flesh"

(Cyril's second letter to Nestorius).

No be today Hausa with bow and arrow.

2 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by blueAgent(m): 2:36pm On Sep 25, 2018
solite3:
so if Jesus is not God who is he?
how does proverb 8:22 matches John 1:2

I never said Jesus is not God. what i mean Jesus the son of God is different from God the father it is not one being playing two roles as Catholic are trying to say. but One God who has a Son Jesus.
of course been born by God makes him God also.
In john1:2 and proverbs8:22 both talks about in the begining and they mention two beings a father and a son.

God also calls his son God.

Hebrews 1:8 King James Version (KJV)
8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom

Read from verse 1

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; 1:4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? 1:6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. 1:7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire. 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Syncan(m): 2:43pm On Sep 25, 2018
blueAgent:

I never said Jesus is not God. what i mean Jesus the son of God is different from God the father[b] it is not one being playing two roles as Catholic are trying to say[/b]. but One God who has a Son Jesus.
of course been born by God makes him God also.
In john1:2 and proverbs8:22 both talks about in the begining and they mention two beings a father and a son.

Please clarify yourself without bringing Catholics in, you don't know what we say. Stop telling lies against us, except the devil is your father.

John1:1, they mentioned two beings according to you, yet you didn't see where they said that:

1. That second being was with God
2. That Second being is God.

2 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by blueAgent(m): 2:45pm On Sep 25, 2018
Syncan:

Please clarify yourself without bringing Catholics in, you don't know what we say. Stop telling lies against us, except the devil is your father.

John1:1, they mentioned two beings according to you, yet you didn't see where they said that:

1. That second being was with God
2. That Second being is God.

Explain to me how A was with B and yet A is B.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Syncan(m): 2:57pm On Sep 25, 2018
blueAgent:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Again, according to your added posts above, God also calls his son God in Heb1:8, and I agree, because his son is the Word, who was with him from the beginning, and who was made flesh (in the womb of the Virgin Mary), and dwelt among us, John 1:14.

I just quoted scripture, are you quarreling with it?

1 Like

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by UbiPetrus: 3:00pm On Sep 25, 2018
blueAgent:

You got your question directed wrongly. You should direct them to the Scriptures, instead.

"In the beginning was the word, the word was with God and the word was God." John 1:1.

You are obviously chewing a cord larger than your mouth.
I'm watching you from a distance grin grin

1 Like

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by UbiPetrus: 3:02pm On Sep 25, 2018
Syncan:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Again, according to your added posts above, God also calls his son God in Heb1:8, and I agree, because his son is the Word, who was with him from the beginning, and who was made flesh (in the womb of the Virgin Mary), and dwelt among us, John 1:14.

Yes, he is. grin

1 Like

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Syncan(m): 3:53pm On Sep 25, 2018
UbiPetrus:
Yes, he is. grin

Ah, then I don comot hand for him matter o

2 Likes

Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 4:25pm On Sep 25, 2018
Syncan:
In about the year 429AD, a certain Bishop called Nestorius ran into the same difficulty as some posters here. Note that before this time, no one had disputed calling Mary "Mother of God". In response to this Bishop, an extract from Bishop Cyril's letter to him read thus:

"the holy fathers... have ventured to call the holy Virgin Theotokos, not as though the nature of the Word or his divinity received the beginning of their existence from the holy Virgin, but because from her was born his holy body, rationally endowed with a soul, with which [body] the Word was united according to the hypostasis, and is said to have been begotten according to the flesh"

(Cyril's second letter to Nestorius).

No be today Hausa with bow and arrow.

who invented the title mother of God?

at bold no one had a dispute calling Mary mother of God because such title was not known in the churches.

no one dispute the fact that Mary is the mother of Christ but NOT the mother of God.

mary mother of God is not scriptural, it is an imported pagan practice.

Christ himself ask a question to challenge people who equate his earthly sonship to his heavenly sonship.

no special attention or veneration was placed on Mary.
Mary never referred to herself as mother of God neither did others.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2018
why Mary is not the mother of God

In the 4th century, when Constantine the Great appointed himself Pontifex Maximus – supreme head – of the Christian Church, pagans and their pagan beliefs began infiltrating Christendom. Among the most influential of the new “converts” were those from the Mediterranean and Middle East areas where worship of the “Great Mother Goddess” and the “Divine Virgin” had existed since Babylon. According to Britannica, these groups:
“….found within the Christian Church a new possibility of expression in the worship of Mary as the virgin mother of God, in whom was achieved the mysterious union of the divine Logos with human nature. ” (Britannica,
Christianity : The doctrine of the Virgin Mary and holy Wisdom.)
By the end of the 4th century, Mary the mother of Jesus, known prior to the advent of Constantine as the Christ-bearer, (Greek
Christotokos, ) was being referred to as the God-bearer, ( theotokos .) Thus was born the doctrine of Mary, mother of God, a title foreign to Scripture where she is called only the mother of Jesus. At first, this matter drew little attention, but in AD 428, Anastasius, a presbyter in the church at Constantinople, raised objections to the theotokos appellation, and thereby originated a controversy that continues to exist here in the 21 st century.
Anastasius was immediately supported in his position by Nestorius, bishop of the Constantinople church, who believed that the
theotokos title adversely affected the fact of our Lord’s full humanity. Cyril, powerful bishop of Alexandria, motivated as much by envy of Constantinople’s standing among the eastern churches as he was by the theological aspects of the controversy, joined battle over the issue with Nestorius, outflanked him at the AD 431 First Council of Ephesus, and succeeded in confirming Mary as the mother of God. Nestorius, falsely accused of separating Christ’s two natures – human and divine – subsequently was excommunicated, then sacked as bishop of Constantinople by the emperor, Theodosius II, who had appointed him in the first place. He died in exile, but the controversy lives on. Is Mary the mother or Jesus? Or is she, a created being, the mother of eternal God?
The Roman Catholic Church and certain mainline churches that split from Rome during or following the Reformation, declare unequivocally that Mary is, in fact, the mother of God. Those historically and currently who oppose this teaching are accused, as was Nestorius, of “dividing Christ” into an “earthly Jesus” and a “heavenly Jesus,” thereby denying the essential unity of our Lord’s two natures. But that is merely an unproved and unprovable accusation. Christ, in fact, had two distinct natures fused into a single human body, a mystery quite as hidden to man as three distinct persons comprising a single Godhead. To say that Mary was the mother of Jesus only is no more a division of Christ’s two natures than acknowledging Christ as the only begotten Son of the Father is a division of the Godhead. Both are mysteries akin to that of a virgin being with child allegedly conceived by that same unborn child because He is a member of the Godhead. Shades, in other words, of the Babylonian “Mystery” religion.
In a document entitled, The Mother of Jesus , published by the Catholic Information Service of the Knights of Columbus, justification for calling Mary the mother of God is capsulized in the following two paragraphs:
In the natural and normal process of human reproduction, when both maternal and paternal functions unite, God simultaneously creates the human soul which enlivens the fecundated ovum in the woman’s womb, and thus a human person is conceived. It is always an individual’s human nature – a person who possesses human nature. (Emphasis added.)
It matters not that the woman has no part in the production of the spiritual element
(directly created by God) in the human nature of the person she conceives. It suffices that she has supplied the bodily substance which goes into the constitution of human nature possessed by the person, that she rightly acquires the title of mother. (Emphasis added.)
No one disputes the fact that Mary is the mother of the human Jesus even though she was not the “supplier” of His human soul. Nor is there any question that the man Christ Jesus was created human in body, soul and spirit. What is disputed is the extension of the title “mother” to a divine nature that eternally existed and was not created in the womb of the virgin. A mother is only the mother of what originates within her womb. The second person of the blessed trinity did not originate in Mary’s body. He is without beginning – has always existed – and has no mother.
“Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.) (Psalm 90:2) “Thy throne is established of old: thou art from everlasting.” (Psalm 93:2)
“But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him,” (Psalm 103:17) “Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting: and let all the people say, Amen. Praise ye the LORD.” (Psalm 106:48)
That Jesus had two natures – one created and one eternal - united in a single human body is beyond question. That only one of those two natures originated in Mary’s womb also is beyond question. And why she cannot then be called the mother of God finds an exact parallel in Christ’s relationship to King David.
“He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David :” (Luke 1:32) “And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?” (Matt 12:23) “And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David ; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.” (Matt 15:22) “And, behold, two blind men sitting by the way side, when they heard that Jesus passed by, cried out, saying, Have mercy on us, O Lord, thou son of
David.” (Matt 20:30) “And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the son of David : Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.” (Matt 21:9)
In these Scriptures it is clearly established that the nation of Israel expected their Messiah to derive – as prophesied - from the tribe of Judah and the house of David, thereby attributing fatherhood of the Messiah to David in accordance with their method of reckoning descent. But David cannot be called the father of God because of his relationship to the man Christ Jesus. Our Lord Himself preempted any possibility of that erroneous belief.
“While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The son of David. He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool? If David then call him Lord, how is he his son? And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions.” (Matt 22:42-46) Parallel accounts of this episode are found in Mark 12: 35-37, and Luke 20:41-44.
In these Scriptures, our Lord has done what Roman Catholic apologists say may not be done. He has clearly drawn a line between the human nature and the eternal nature of Christ. He has clearly established the fact that David is NOT the father of God, because he is NOT the father of the second person of the blessed trinity. He has clearly shown this distinction of natures to be a mystery – one the Jews of His day could not comprehend any better than the Roman Catholics or Christians of the 21st century. This mystery of the two fused but separate natures manifest in Christ finds another reference in the following excerpt from the Gospel of John. When confronted by the Jews and constrained to identify himself, John the Baptist’s response included this interesting disclosure: “For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him .” (John 3:34) Certainly the Holy Spirit could not have been given to the Second Person of the trinity for He is part of that trinity. So the Holy Spirit that was given without measure was given only to the
man Christ Jesus.
It stands to reason, then, that like King David – to whom fatherhood ONLY of the
man Christ Jesus is attributed - Mary is the Mother ONLY of the man Christ Jesus. To prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt, let us insert Mary’s name in place of King David’s in the previously cited Scriptures:
“While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The son of MARY . He saith unto them, How then doth MARY call him Lord, saying, My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. (Luke 1:46, 47) If
MARY then call him Lord, how is he her son? And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions.”
To insist that Mary is Christotokos only and not theotokos is not to separate Jesus into a “heavenly Jesus” and an “earthly Jesus” as Roman Catholicism contends. It is merely recognizing what Jesus Himself made clear, that David was not the father of God, and by parallel reasoning, Mary was His earthly mother only, and not a Goddess or Queen of Heaven worthy of the title mother of God.
Because the Second Person of the blessed trinity is an eternal being having neither a beginning nor an ending, it was the man Christ Jesus who suffered as the second Adam on Calvary and died for the sins of the world. The Second Person of the trinity did not die, cannot die or be put to death. And it’s the man Christ Jesus – not the Second Person of the trinity - who is said Scripturally to be the one mediator between God and man. (1 Tim 2:5) He who is eternal, who could not and cannot die, could not be, and was not, born of the virgin.
Conclusion: Jesus Christ the man is the son of Mary. The Second Person of the Trinity is her God, not her son, for He did not originate in her womb.
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 25, 2018
The Roman Catholic Church frequently refers to Mary as "The Mother of God." The phrase is associated with the Greek theotokos which means God-bearer. It is intended to be a term of exaltation and reverence to Mary who bore the Messiah and is especially used by Catholic theologians.
Called in the Gospels "the mother of Jesus", Mary is acclaimed by Elizabeth, at the prompting of the Spirit and even before the birth of her son, as "the mother of my Lord". In fact, the One whom she conceived as man by the Holy Spirit, who truly became her Son according to the flesh, was none other than the Father's eternal Son, the second person of the Holy Trinity. Hence the Church confesses that Mary is truly "Mother of God" (Theotokos), (Catechism of the Catholic Church, par. 495).
Now, there is a problem with the term. The phrase "Mother of God" does not occur in Scripture . However, the phrase "mother of my Lord" does. "And how has it happened to me, that the mother of my Lord would come to me?" (Luke 1:43 ). So is the title "Mother of God" warranted of Mary? It depends on what is meant by the phrase, as well as what is attached to it.
Mary is called the mother of God in the Catechism of the Catholic Church 29 times in the following paragraphs: 466, 467, 469, 493, 495, 509, 721, 963, 966, 971, 975, 1014, 1020, 1138, 1161, 1172, 1187, 1192, 1195, 2131, 2177, 2502, 2619, 2675, 2677, 2678, 2725, 2827, 2853. Within these paragraphs that call Mary the mother of God, we see some pretty bold statements about her.
1. "the all-holy ever-virgin Mother of God, is the masterwork of the mission of the Son..." (CCC 721)
2. "the Holy Mother of God, the new Eve, Mother of the Church" (CCC 975)
3. "our inviolate Lady, the holy Mother of God..." (CCC 1161)
4. "This spiritual beauty of God is reflected in the most holy Virgin Mother of God..." (CCC 2502)
Such exalted praises of Mary cannot be justified from Scripture. Instead, they are inventions of the Roman Catholic Church. Yes, Mary bore the Messiah who is God in flesh, but she is not the "mother of God" in the sense that she was before Him and/or superior to Him as is what motherhood implies.

The Mother of God

God Himself is a supreme being, and the emotional inference of being the "mother of" someone carries with it authority over, maturity beyond, and even superiority. This kind of attitude has led to further errors.
1. She is called the second Eve, (Mystici Corpois Christ, par. 110)
2. expressed devotion to Mary, (CCC 971)
3. They pray to Mary, (CCC 2679)
4. Mary sits at the right hand of Christ, "(Pope Pius X, 1835-1914, Ad Diem Illum Laetissimum, 14)
5. Mary is second only to Jesus, (Handbook for Todays Catholic, p. 31)
6. "so no man goeth to Christ but by His Mother," (Vatican Website: Encyclical of Pope Leo 13th on the Rosary, Octobri Mense, Pope Leo 13th, 1903-1914)
Problems with "Mother of God"
As you can see from the above quotes, Mary is highly exalted. Along with her exaltation is the implication that Mary has better access to Jesus because she is his mother and Jesus will listen to his mother. I've heard countless Roman Catholics tell me this. Add to this the error that no one goes to Christ but through Mary (Pope Leo 13th), and it should be clear that Mary is being idolized beyond what is appropriate. That is why Roman Catholicism advocates praying to Mary (CCC 2679). This is a problem because this leads to people putting their focus, hope, and prayers in Mary instead of Jesus. This is heresy. It is idolatry.
An additional problem is found when we compare Mary in relation to God the Trinity (the teaching that there are three persons in the Godhead, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). When the Catholic Church says that Mary is the "mother of God" there is the possibility of implying that Mary is the mother of the Trinity . Since this is not logically possible, the Catholics would have to understand the term in a different sense. They would, of course, say that Mary is only the mother of the second person of the Trinity, the Word. But they don't clarify this very often. Instead, they continually use the phrase "mother of God" and leave it open that somehow Mary has a special relationship to God Himself by being the mother of Christ. Again, this is dangerous since it encourages people to take their eyes off of Christ, putting on to the creature: Mary.
God is the preeminent one, the most important and praiseworthy being in the universe. God has no "mother." He is the creator of all things. Motherhood, on the other hand, is a biological function (as it is used in the context of Mary in Roman Catholicism), not one dealing with the nature and essence of God as it relates to a human being who is a mother. But, God has no mother. There is nothing and there is no one before Him, equal to Him, or comparable to Him. We must guard his glory and not give it to another.
Finally, the term "mother of God" runs the risk of suggesting that Mary is somehow divine and part of the Godhead. So far, the Roman Catholic Church does not teach this, but there is a movement within Catholic adherents to exalt Mary to the level of divinity. The Roman Catholic Church, so far, has rightly denounced this proposal, but it does not mean that later on there might be a movement that succeeds in elevating her to divinity or semi-divinity. After all, consider the above references that exalt her far beyond what the Scriptures teach. If the Roman Catholic Church can go beyond what is written in Scripture ( 1 Corinthians 4:6 ) in disregard to it, who is to say that it won't eventually elevate her to the status equal to a goddess?
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by blueAgent(m): 6:22pm On Sep 25, 2018
UbiPetrus:
You got your question directed wrongly. You should direct them to the Scriptures, instead.

"In the beginning was the word, the word was with God and the word was God." John 1:1.

You are obviously chewing a cord larger than your mouth.
I'm watching you from a distance grin grin

Hypocrite you only refer to the scripture when you want to hide your lies but will not accept any bible verse that contradicts your false Church doctrine.

Let me ask you if Jesus was God the father and son at the same time then who did Jesus tell his disciples sent him to Earth? who did Jesus say his will be done shortly before he was to die, he prayed that this cup should pass over him.

just before Jesus was
arrested. In the garden Jesus
prayed to his Father three times,
saying, “My Father, if it is
possible, may this cup be taken
from me. Yet not as I will, but as
you will”—the KJV says, “Let this
cup pass from me” (Matthew
26:39). A little later, Jesus prays,
“My Father, if it is not possible for
this cup to be taken away unless I
drink it, may your will be
done” (Matthew 26:42).

Thirdly if Jesus is the same person acting as God the father than who was sitting next to God in Heaven?

Ephesians 1:20
that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places,
Re: Mary Is Not The Mother Of God by blueAgent(m): 6:23pm On Sep 25, 2018
Syncan:

So you finally accept that Jesus is not the same as his father God?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

How Can Jesus Give Everlasting Life To Immortal Beings? / How God Used My Premature Baby (5 Months, 2 Weeks; 790grams) To Bring Me Closer / Do You Think Someone Can Actually Bewitch Or Curse Another Person?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 194
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.