Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,776 members, 7,824,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors (18802 Views)

What Legitimate Online Hustle Can I Do With A Stable Power Supply / SEC Concludes Oando Investigation: Bars Group CEO For Five Years / TOWNS IN RIVERS STATE WITH STABLE POWER SUPPLY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by CANDYDADDY(m): 5:46pm On Jul 24, 2018
The Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors, says that Nigeria may not have stable power supply in the next five years except the challenges confronting the sector are addressed.

Mr Sunday Oduntan, the Executive Director, Research and Advocacy of ANED disclosed this at a news conference in Lagos on Tuesday.

According to Oduntan, there are challenges inhibiting power sector efficiency and they include liquidity gap of N1.3 trillion, lack of improved generation due to mismatched electricity pricing.

“Lack of much needed investment in transmission and distribution network and rising energy theft among others.

“Except these challenges are addressed, we may not have stable power supply in the next five years,’’ he said.

Oduntan said that the illiquidity in the sector must be prioritised because the sector could not afford to collapse.

“If the power sector collapses, many banks will collapse because in 2013 during privatisation, only one Distribution Company obtained foreign loan, others took loans from local banks in dollars.

“Privatisation was based on 30 per cent equity and 70 percent loan.

“The model was borrowed from New Delhi, India and it is working as we speak. If it is successful in India, why is it not working in Nigeria,’’ he added.

Oduntan decried the prevalent non-reflective tariff and called on the government to prevail on the military, Ministries, Department and Agencies (MDAs) to pay for energy consumed.

According to him, MDAs owe about N72 billion and the military has refused to pay since August 2017, when the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola say the Federal Government will settle all legacy debts by MDAs.

“Afterwards, nothing has been paid by the military.

“It is important to also state that the mismatch in electricity pricing has resulted into inability of the Discos to settle their obligations to the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Traders (NBET).

“What we get from NBET is usually higher than what the Discos charge to consumers because we don’t have control over tariff.

“Government determines what we charge power consumers.

“Until we have a review of electricity tariff which ought to have been taken place every six months, there can’t be cost-reflective tariff and without cost reflective tariff, Discos can’t settle their debts to NBET.’’

On the controversies surrounding eligible customers’ policy, Oduntan argued that tariffs for industrial consumers were structured to be subsidised.

“The eligible customer policy will take the industrial customers off the Discos’ network and this will affect the revenue of the Discos.

“If the policy will take away the industrial customers from the Discos’ network, then, there must be a review of the tariff to guarantee liquidity in the sector,’’ he said.

http://punchng.com/nigeria-may-not-have-stable-power-supply-in-five-years-says-electricity-distributors/

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by deleo16(m): 5:51pm On Jul 24, 2018
shocked
Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by lobell: 6:46pm On Jul 24, 2018
And that idiot said Nigerians have too much electricity they can not use it all up.

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by TeeTeem: 7:06pm On Jul 24, 2018
What is really wrong with our country? Nothing is working in this country except corruption......Like we have been using the light before undecided.

24 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by Oyindidi(f): 7:06pm On Jul 24, 2018
grin

5 years too small, them say them go fix am in 1983 or so... E don pass 30 years we still dey wait

39 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by emeijeh(m): 7:06pm On Jul 24, 2018
Misleading topic..... As if we had stable power supply before now.
No government can tackle power and succeed

Nigeria must be a cursed country, because I don't think the cabals importing generator sets will ever make us have stable uninterrupted power.

Buhari why?

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by BruncleZuma: 7:06pm On Jul 24, 2018
grin grin grin grin

[img]https://i./9ofz.gif[/img]

...and Straight into the dust bin ~ @FirstBank

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by Oblitz(m): 7:07pm On Jul 24, 2018
Fashola has failed

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by Mariangeles(f): 7:07pm On Jul 24, 2018
I'm still wondering what is so hard in the power sector that they can't seem to get right...

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by BabaIbo: 7:07pm On Jul 24, 2018
LoL, e don set
Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by dkronicle(m): 7:07pm On Jul 24, 2018
Transmission transmission the song just dey ring for my head

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by Shortyy(f): 7:07pm On Jul 24, 2018
Have we been having stable power supply? Iranu

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by neweraomo: 7:08pm On Jul 24, 2018
The best country ever .... ironically

1 Like

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by tunjijones(m): 7:08pm On Jul 24, 2018
This is the 18th year into 21st century, while other developed countries are worried about how to improve on robotics technology, improved health care system etc my dear Nigeria is still battling with power supply.

I weep for this country

39 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by beethoven: 7:08pm On Jul 24, 2018
Abeg change that 'may not' to "will not" and the "5 years" to 'Forever'.

Putting it together "Nigeria will not have stable electricity forever".

No be curse oooo, na obvious fact. Before democracy we thought military rule was bad, and that they embezzled our money, but democracy is even worse off. Senators embezzle openly, I read recently that we are planning to spend 245billion to conduct elections (that will not be free and fair) just to elect another batch of corrupt fools. God help us

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by slegend(m): 7:08pm On Jul 24, 2018
on behalf of Nigerians, I am saying NO PROBLEM...

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by Robbin7(m): 7:09pm On Jul 24, 2018
Is Fashola aware of this? Minister of everything. He said he will fix power in 2 years and 4 years wan waka, we still dey find light......

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by tstx(m): 7:09pm On Jul 24, 2018
Na new thing

See my signature
Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by Oluwatosin678(m): 7:09pm On Jul 24, 2018
iranu. we Nigerians wont complain...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by itiswellandwell: 7:09pm On Jul 24, 2018
Chai! This is serious. What have they been addressing with those huge bills they gave to consumers?

www.nairaland.com/4629803/clean-samsung-s7-edge-sale#69567532
Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by sweetkev(m): 7:10pm On Jul 24, 2018
Five years is even short cos I know we not gonna have stable electricity in this shithole country until I see a fowl with pampers undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by sawdi: 7:10pm On Jul 24, 2018
shocked
Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by feldido(m): 7:10pm On Jul 24, 2018
I'm done with this country... Can anything ever work in this country?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by dbynonetwork: 7:11pm On Jul 24, 2018
Truth...
PDP and APC have failed Nigerians...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by tstx(m): 7:11pm On Jul 24, 2018
feldido:
I'm done with this country
welcome
Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by mynamewilfred(m): 7:12pm On Jul 24, 2018
Have we ever enjoyed stability of power before in this country? Let these distributors go to hell, what exactly are they distributing?
Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by Ibukunmer: 7:12pm On Jul 24, 2018
The best solution is to adopt similar arrangements ti Uk by allowing independent distributor network operators.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by wj26584(m): 7:12pm On Jul 24, 2018
A country ruled by Mediocre......
Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by EmekaBlue(m): 7:12pm On Jul 24, 2018
"Will not" for sure not "May not"

Meanwhile

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian May Not Have Stable Power Supply In Five Years - Distributors by Karidqueen(f): 7:14pm On Jul 24, 2018
Like say we dey have am before grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Many Kilos Are In 1 Liter Of Palm Oil And What Is The Average Price ? / 5 Legitimate Ways Nigerians Can Build Residual Income On The Internet / Aloy Chife Asks CBN To Abolish Official FOREX Market, Allow Naira Float

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.