Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) (38195 Views)

Yahoo Boy Reports Another Yahoo Boy To Police For Scamming His Client (Photos) / Kingsley Onuorah Arrested For Raping Job Seekers In Lagos & Taking Their Nudes / 67-year-old American Posing As ‘nigerian Prince’ Arrested For Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) by dominique(f): 12:10pm On Jul 27, 2018
safarigirl:
lol, that one is a US citizen, dem no fit tie am to us. If you ask now, they will say Weeks mastermindedthe whole thing and McKay was none the wiser about it grin

As long as he has a Nigerian name, they will emphasize that he's Nigerian. He's probably equal partners with the McKay guy but it was his life story they focused on.
Re: Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jul 27, 2018
Born2Breed:

Imagine the slave mentality. McKay is probably white,hence the bias behind the story. No-one is supporting the crime but the reportage is biased and one sided,if you don't see anything wrong with that then you ain't smarter than a neonate.
thank you! you have made your opinion, only unlike you, you have taken the issue so personal to have resorted to making derogatory remarks about me, but that's fine, because that tells me that you have lost the Argument. hence the obnoxious remarks grin it's fine if it helps you get through the day believing that everything white is racist even though you are not sure if Mckay is white. have a cup of tea you will be fine. grin they are racist but they let a crooked nigerian live in their country. shocked

Good luck!
Re: Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) by Amberon11: 12:23pm On Jul 27, 2018
You don't have sense. Benin people have a common ancestry with the yorubas.
tyson98:
Flatoscopic element eweka
Re: Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) by mexzony: 1:38pm On Jul 27, 2018
So this guy came to Nigeria did elaborate wedding and probably intimidated some guys here in naija. Was watching the wedding video and heard he has 2 companies in america. A consulting firm and the other one I can't remember.
Now we know it was all fraud. Na wa o.
E good make person just dey enjoy the little money e dey make in peace and with joy and gratitude while working hard legitimately for more.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 27, 2018
theoldpretender:
Once again, another scam artist gives Nigerians a bad name.

Lock him up
From my personal experience, I can boldly say 95% of YOU NIGERIANS ARE SCAMMERS.
Re: Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) by theoldpretender(m): 2:55pm On Jul 27, 2018
Noel1:
From my personal experience, I can boldly say 95% of YOU NIGERIANS ARE SCAMMERS.

Not all of us.

I'm not, and so are many of my countrymen. I even despise scammers.

The internet is not representative of the world.
Re: Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) by winsh: 3:21pm On Jul 27, 2018
Not everyone. The peole that do well don't come back to form. Na the ones wey dey do all kind of illegals dey come back to form coz na that forming dey motivate them to enter these nonsense
chinavs9ja:
These are wetin dem dey do for foreign countries, they will come back here forming.....mtcheew

Check my signature if you need a website for your business...I am a web designer / developer
Re: Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) by Rhea(f): 10:19pm On Jul 27, 2018
Explorers:
Eweka, 31, appeared in a Manhattan court on Thursday where he pleaded guiltyto charges of larceny and scheme to defraud.

According to court documents, Eweka and McKay used office space in the Empire State Building and another building on fifth avenue to run two bogus employment agency firms, Stamford Consulting Firm and Howard Consulting Group.

They also used fake names, according to the New York Post. Eweka went by the name Sean Jackson and McKay reportedly used the name Tyrone Hayes.

Prosecutors said they would invite their victims to their office for an interview and then have them pay a fee, ranging between $300 and $700, the Post reports.

Prosecutor Catherine McCaw said they told victims the fee would cover the cost of uniforms, training and background checks.

They also said that paying the high fee would result in higher-paying jobs.

'But in reality, there was no such job,' she said at Eweka's arraignment on Thursday in Manhattan Supreme Court.

After collecting the money, the men would send the job seekers to different businesses, where they were turned away by employers who weren't expecting them.

The victims then found that they could no longer get in contact with the alleged fraudsters or the consulting firm.

According to authorities, Eweka and McKay duped 250 people.

Prosecutors said they never provided a single job.

They ran the alleged scam from January to June 2018.

Eweka is a prince from the Benin royal family in Nigeria, according to reports, and a United States citizen living in New Jersey.

McKay is from the Bronx.

Both men were indicted on charges of larceny and scheme to defraud. McKay was arraigned last week and released on $200,000 bail, theNew York Times reports.

In 2016, Eweka married attorney Imade Igbinedion in an elaborate wedding ceremony in Nigeria.

Representatives from the Benin family told the Times they could not confirm whether Eweka was a family member because the 'it is a very large family'.

The baga don islamize for jail, abi na form e dey form cheesy cheesy grin
Ole
Re: Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jul 28, 2018
But the Igbinedions are sure he is their son-in-law. . . IDENTITY ESTABLISHED
Re: Nigerian Prince Arrested For Scamming Hundreds Of Job Seekers In New York(Pics) by AlphaTaikun: 11:13am On Apr 18, 2022
Explorers:
A Nigerian prince and his accomplice are accused of bamboozling hundreds of job seekers out of thousands of dollars by promising them high-paying gigs in New York.

The Manhattan District Attorney's Office said Osmond Eweka, 31, a prince from the Benin royal family in Nigeria, according to reports, and a United States citizen living in New Jersey and his friend Kamel McKay, 27, pretended to run two consulting firms in Manhattan telling clients that if they paid a fee they would be placed at various jobs across New York City.

Prosecutors said some of the jobs Eweka and McKay promised their victims were for hotel housekeeping and front desk receptionists.

The men used the popular job-seeking website Indeed.com to find their victims.
The tri-state criminal enterprise. SMH

Too many scammers out there falsely claiming to be princes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Beats A Danfo Driver For Bashing His Jeep In Lagos / Man Strips Naked As Electricity Officials Disconnect His Light / Assassins Paid N300,000 To Murder London-Based Nigerian Arrested In Lagos (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.