Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,710 members, 7,809,694 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:24 PM

Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance (20454 Views)

Peter Obi Invited To Tinubu’s Inauguration By Presidential Inaugural Committee / Tinubu, Atiku, Kwankwaso And Obi Invited As Speakers At NBA Event / MC Oluomo Invited As A 'Special Guest' In UNILAG (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by emmy9688: 8:50am On Jul 27, 2018
Former Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi yesterday appeared before the Onitsha Office of the Anambra State Internal Revenue Service (Tax office) today.

Obi was summoned by Mrs Nwakpudolu Juliet, the Chief Tax Officer coordinating GRA Phase 2 Onitsha as a Senior Business Manager.

Our correspondent on another mission at the tax office was there when Obi entered with his Media Adviser, Mr. Valentine Obienyem.

Confirming the visit at the tax office amidst heavy down pour at 10 am, Obi said he was summoned to appear before the tax office at 10: 00 am hence he had to run from Lagos to Onitsha to meet up the appointment.

When probed on his feelings on the invitation, Obi said “Nothing to worry. As a citizen, I can visit any office in the country, including those in my state when I have issues to sort out.”

He even commended the conduct of the chief Tax officer who he said was polite and did her duties professionally.

Further, Obi said he was asked to show his six years tax clearance which this newspaper sighted the receipts totaling N205 Million.

‘’I am happy the professional way Juliet conducted herself. It was a first class conduct and this is the kind of person that every International organization should hire. I am sure she was not anticipating that I will answer her summon. But as a good citizen who knows the importance of taxation for government to operate, I honoured her summon.

‘’I wish other people could be like her in attending to clients and tax payers the professional way she attended to me.”

On the issue of tax evasion, former Anambra Governor, Obi appealed to citizens to pay their taxes regularly, lamenting that those evading tax are shortchanging the people and government because government can only do great work for the masses when citizens pay taxes.

He however appealed to government to ensure smaller businesses are not crippled by tax as over burdening of smaller businesses kills them. He said wealthy people should be encouraged to pay taxes adequately.

Mrs Nwakpudolu who confirmed the invitation, said her office requested evidence of payment of taxes in the last six years from the former Governor.

She said the government of Chief Willie Obiano was doing a great developmental work hence the taxes were needed to support him, thus informing the invitation to prominent citizens like Obi.

Mr. Obi came with evidence of payment for the last 20 years and left the assessor regretting that she would have easily met her N80 Million target for the year if Obi had paid such huge amounts he paid yearly to her office rather than Enugu state.

Read more on the and pictures http://enigeria.com.ng/former-governor-obi-appears-before-tax-office-in-onitsha-on-tax-evasion-charges/

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by hisgrace090: 9:02am On Jul 27, 2018
This mans way of life always humbles me the more since I knew him till date.

180 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by nzeobi(m): 9:17am On Jul 27, 2018
one of the cleanest politicians you can meet in Nigeria today, a governor that invited both EFCC and ICPC to see his books before he handed over.
even as a member of PDP 2015 presidential campaign committee, you don't see any of the security agencies going after him not because he defected to APC but because he is clean.

imagine if it's another Nigerian politician that was invited, they will turn it to a media affair claiming persecution from their successors.

154 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by gidgiddy: 9:36am On Jul 27, 2018
hisgrace090:
This mans way of life always humbles me the more since I knew him till date.

Although I don't like some of his politics, the truth is that he is one of the very few politicians in Nigeria who has any integrity.

When he was Governor, he could pass your house house and you wouldn't know a Governor went past

125 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by slimghost(m): 9:49am On Jul 27, 2018
One of the very few Nigerian politicians with any iota of integrity.

82 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by nnachukz(m): 9:50am On Jul 27, 2018
Imagine bringing 20yrs clearance as against the requested 6yrs. Also not saying any bad thing about his invitation and the present State government.

128 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by SolutionMee: 9:58am On Jul 27, 2018
lol
Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by slimghost(m): 10:29am On Jul 27, 2018
Mynd44. Move to front page please. We need to celebrate decent politicians like this.

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by CyynthiaKiss(f): 10:40am On Jul 27, 2018
Old age nocking .. He used to be very handsome.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by BruncleZuma: 10:49am On Jul 27, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by 9jeria: 10:50am On Jul 27, 2018
Let's make this man the president of this country. My fellow Hausa please

108 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by coluka: 10:50am On Jul 27, 2018
A clear conscience fears no accusation. Ride on sir!!! Okwute!!!

88 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by Uchenaija: 10:50am On Jul 27, 2018
Every good deed surely gets rewarded.

Do know First City Monument Bank can help you achieve your dream of schooling abroad this year?

Fcmb’S Study Abroad Exhibition Arrives Lagos State On July 27-28, 2018

1 Like

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by baddosky1: 10:51am On Jul 27, 2018
Peter Obi...you can't just have anything against this man

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by deebsman1(m): 10:52am On Jul 27, 2018
That's what we are talking about, if you know you have nothing hidden, don't trivialize or politicize simple minor issues. As simple as ABC.

#Sai Baba

8 Likes

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by OsuEbonyi: 10:52am On Jul 27, 2018
If it were to be that pomo

1 Like

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by ChiefSweetus: 10:52am On Jul 27, 2018
cool
Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by OsuEbonyi: 10:52am On Jul 27, 2018
If it were to be that pomo cutting clown now... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
The only Peter I know is Peter Obi

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by JoannaSedley(f): 10:53am On Jul 27, 2018
Because he is as clean as a whistle.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by Mutemenot(m): 10:54am On Jul 27, 2018
My best governor so far as far as naija is concerned

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by itchie: 10:54am On Jul 27, 2018
What manner of a man is this?

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 27, 2018
If only we were collectively sane in this country....

A man that perused every detail of govt expense down to A4 paper and made sure the awarded amount tallied with the market..

A man that contract payment was only approved if that local govt approved a satisfied project..

If only we were collectively sane in this country...

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by Yoshy: 10:54am On Jul 27, 2018
Obi is a man of integrity and wisdom. Go to Anambra, every village has atleast an accessible road.

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 27, 2018
Buhari would have hired 20 SAN ....

Same goes for majority of others both PDP and APC..

If you have it... show it.

Its that simple

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by Olukat(m): 10:55am On Jul 27, 2018
There are signals Peter Obi may be chosen as VP to anybody that emerges on the opposition party shocked shocked
This is just the beginning of numerous invitation that will come Peter Obi's way.
But there's nothing to worry about cos Obi is a diligent bookkeeper and the worst 'aka gum' ever voted into Gov's office shocked shocked
Sue him before 'Sango' he will be there with documents that will shock you grin grin grin grin grin
I love him though wink wink

125 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by StudentsNG: 10:56am On Jul 27, 2018
A worthy mentor. I hope we take a moment to acknowledge men like this. Every sane Nigerian should encourage men like this to come up and clean the mess in our central executive. Let’s look beyond tribes, people!

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by Richdad50(m): 10:57am On Jul 27, 2018
Sad
Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by maestroferddi: 10:57am On Jul 27, 2018
Peter Obi is a leader worthy of emulation.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by mexxmoney: 10:57am On Jul 27, 2018
A man of integrity

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax Evasion: Peter Obi Invited, As He Presents 20-Year Tax Clearance by Sprumbabafather: 10:58am On Jul 27, 2018
Well, until I see the 20 years tax clearance of
Tinubu
Dangote
Danjuma

I will still think Nigeria is persecuting the Igbos with tribal bigotry.

49 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gbenga Daniel Wins Polling Unit For APC Candidate, Dapo Abiodun / President Buhari Arrives Lisbon Ahead Of State Visit (Photos) / I Will Support Tinubu Without Apologies – PDP Chieftain, Bwala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.