Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" (883 Views)

Pls Help! Remedy For Somebody That Mistakenly Rubbed Pepper On Private Part! / In Nigeria, You’re Either Somebody Or Nobody / Is It Possible For Somebody To Help Pay For Toefl Exam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by Mkpotu(m): 10:03am On Jun 17, 2010
A serious argument ensued in my office after we conducted an interview for new entrants into our firm, while some of the people interviewed said they will 'work for us', one or two persons said they will 'work with us'.

One of the interview team members rather saw the use of the word, "work with us" as form of pride and that such people should not be employed in the firm, while the others are of the view that they do not see something wrong in the use of the word 'work with'. Different people gave different interpretation to the words.

House, I just want to hear your opinion on this, as that will serve to stop the lingering employment crisis generated in my firm since after the interview yesterday.
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by kayosite(m): 11:41am On Jun 17, 2010
Looking at it from d employment point of view,i think working with is d right word.working for simply means on a contract basis.
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by afrobaby(f): 12:01pm On Jun 17, 2010
I believe working with a company is like being a slave to the company, meaning the company does not have ur interest in mind, this is also implies that the staff will not want to give their best to the company,

but when u work with a company, it is just like running a partnership business, u know quite well that the success or failure of the cmpany is alos ur success or failure respectively, hence, the overall objective of the firm becomes ur utmost priority and objective

WITH means together while FOR refer to someone or something dfferent from you.

I can't accept to work for a firm, but rather prefer to work WITH the firm, it is in no way pride but a form of clarification
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by coolier(f): 8:26pm On Jun 18, 2010
The key word for any employee for the growth of any establishment is to be a 'team' player. A team stands as one, cooperating and working together to achieve results. If I am joining an establishment, I must have that sense of belonging that 'am becoming part of them thereby working 'with' them but never 'for' them.
Re: Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" by iice(f): 2:17am On Jun 19, 2010
To work with has more to do with being a team player. Yes there is demarcation between employer and employee but there is alot of camaraderie too.
Having said that. . .i'd rather work for grin I like some of the options that come with it

(1) (Reply)

Dora's Mis-yarn / ****voters Registration Exercise Is Just Useless ***** / Do You Agree Wiv Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.