Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,335 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? (29305 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Pentecostal Churches With The Best Choir/Music Department / Five Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses. / 400 Jehovah's Witnesses In Angola Pass Out Due To Toxic Gas At A Convention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Gbankogbi: 5:57pm On Jul 29, 2018
Many of us don't really understand this sect, when I watched the video "Jehovah witnesses organized to preach the good News' in their website jw.org I was shock with what I saw, I thought all what they do was to knock on people door, I don't even know that they share relief materials during disasters. Their technology is powerful.
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODMoviesDocumentary/pub-ivjwo_x_VIDEO

2 Likes

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Crowny11(f): 6:09pm On Jul 29, 2018
no church will force you to pay tithe or offerings,
it willingly, if offering is wrong, Jesus Christ would have canceled it at the temple,
but he encourages us to give cheerfully not with grudges or proud heart ..
if you don't have no pastor will flog you out of the church

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by budusky05(m): 6:17pm On Jul 29, 2018
sportskid:

They do all the works themselves, that sounds like stinginess..... JW are very self-centered in there approach, they will never collect anything from you e.g fliers,tracts or even here your preaching, but they will try to seduce you with there hypocritical smile in order to make u hear them. They have no love, don't honour invitations, they think they are the only ones who know God......Horse shit

Well I just mentioned how they build the kingdom halls if u have other issues sort it with them next u see them
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by budusky05(m): 6:17pm On Jul 29, 2018
nwanyiugbo122:
Are you a Jw?

Why ask?
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by budusky05(m): 6:20pm On Jul 29, 2018
Eagba:
inaddiction, to that they design there building a cost effective way thaw makes it easy to manage. I trying some of there design into my building plan

They train members in various construction fields
Once a building is started boom it's finished.
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by InansBobo(m): 6:24pm On Jul 29, 2018
Geesaintagape:

Churches compel people indirectly via things like these;
Pay ur tithe to make heaven.
Don't rob God
Don't give God little.
Challenge God with money.
Issuing tithe card to monitor tithers n non tithers.
Linking every sermon to money
Preaching like 'If u don't tithe ur conditions will b tight '
my Anglican at okwe asaba says no weddings for non tithers.
wow...the last one got me. that's why I'll continue to say there are different churches so you can choose to attend the one whose doctrine match with your belief
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by InansBobo(m): 6:28pm On Jul 29, 2018
thunderbabs:

Guy, d attack isnt in d form you explaining. You re threatened with Malachi, thereby forced. You get?

Thatz how it works in Pentecostals
ok, so what's the real interpretation of the Malachi aspect?

(...you're cursed with a curse for robbing God....)

NOTE: I don't tithe yet but let me learn
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by InansBobo(m): 6:41pm On Jul 29, 2018
mike1994reds:

Shut the Bleep up, what do you think they do when they tell you you won't make heaven if you dont pay your tithes, a GO of a big church said that o, another one, mummy seed collector said offering time is not blessing time, it is judgement time. What do you call all that? Do they need to enter your pocket to carry money?
Will you tell me there are no people in their respective congregations that gave deaf eyes to those words? (If I was there, I'd do so). All am saying is everyone still has his conviction and not all churches are the same so why not find the one that suits you.. Everyone is living his indvidual life, the goal is to make heaven at the end. Selah!

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by InansBobo(m): 6:46pm On Jul 29, 2018
lexy2014:
I was at a programme in Benin some years ago. D programme was organised by Abraham chibundu(permit my spelling) of voice of freedom. At d time, apostle Suleiman who was d guest speaker, was still fresh, a new kid on d block. Wasn't so popular then but was reputed 4 calling peoples phone numbers. After his "ministration", he decided 2 collect "special seed" based on d "leading" meanwhile, offering had been collected b4. Suleiman said, he was being led to collect dollars&that there were people in d congregation who God had told him would give dollars. Nobody was led to give dollars & by this time, it was getting late so some people started leaving. When Suleiman noticed people were leaving, he ordered d ushers to shut d doors that no one should leave until after he was done with his collection. Does this story answer ur question?
I understand you but that's a breach of their right because the ushers have no right to stop anyone who wants to leave the church, but then, I'm sure the reason why he said that was not for them to come give him the dollar but for orderliness. I can imagine how rowdy the premise would be as people are going out and service was still on.
NOTE: I don't side extorting pastors
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by slowbreeze(f): 6:47pm On Jul 29, 2018
nairavsdollars:
I attended the church of Jehovah's Witnesses and i noticed they don't compel people to pay Tithes and Offerings like most Pentecostal churches.

All they have is a box where any willing attendee is free to drop whatever he or she desires. No POS, no long sermon, no threat on giving like most Pentecostal churches. Jesus Christ never forced people to give and Christians are meant to emulate Christ.

I don’t like their doctrines but on this i am impressed.
Hmmm..Most Pentecostal Churches offering is optional;at least the offering basket passes round if u have u give;if u don't ;u pass it on.nobody really notices.
The real issue is even with our Orthodox Anglican/Catholic/Methodist/Presbyterian etc churches where one has to get up from their seat in orderly fashion to dance out to the front to give offering.Thereby making it compulsory to stand up & give offering;whether u av or not;
I personally was very irritated when I attended one Anglican church very recently ;during the offering we came out only to meet three different offering bags to drop money for different things welfare;building;project;evangelism;Special & General Thanksgiving etc..And people were suppose to come out twice that sunday;making church collection /offerings 6 times per Sunday.Anglican/Orthodox church ooo.
Seriously the church has lost it.May God save us all..
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by InansBobo(m): 6:49pm On Jul 29, 2018
grandstar:

When ushers pass their bags around, it puts pressure on attendees to donate. Many feel embarrassed if they do not donate.

Let's not deceive ourselves. Is it not a form of subtle coercion?
are u talking of offering or tithe? If u don't have money, can't you drop empty envelop (our problem is that we care about what people say not knowing that it's always between ourselves and God)

2 Likes

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by haywizzy007(m): 6:50pm On Jul 29, 2018
No tithing
No night vigils
No compulsory fasting
They don't go to mountains to pray and many more..

The law of the Christ is indeed a law of freedom. Jesus emphatically told the Jews in his day "You'll know the truth and the truth will set you free"

2 Likes

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by InansBobo(m): 6:54pm On Jul 29, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Adeboye said that if u don't pay tithe, U will go to hell.
But that doesn't shake me because I know that Salvation is the way to heaven. so how has he made me to begin to tithe now
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by thunderbabs: 7:23pm On Jul 29, 2018
InansBobo:
ok, so what's the real interpretation of the Malachi aspect?

(...you're cursed with a curse for robbing God....)

NOTE: I don't tithe yet but let me learn

God doesnt curse anyone for not paying tithe... It's jus deir way of brainwashing members with... If you pay ur tithe, things will not be tight 4u, it also means u obeying God, etc
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Deadlytruth(m): 7:30pm On Jul 29, 2018
Gerrard59:
Just like most posters have said, the donations are strictly on optional basis. On the other hand, the JWs are good but like Deepwater said, they operate like a cult. Apparently, most religious groups do so but theirs is to another level. I cannot forget them excommunicating my mom because she joined the army. What a church!

But hey! They practice what they preach and are not cacophonous during service.

Well, one could practice a wrong thing he preaches, you know?

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Dynamite02: 8:07pm On Jul 29, 2018
Waffarianman:

Top able body assist their projects, not a JW but my wife is one.
It's through voluntary contributions by anybody who wishes to (member's/non members), and its done without the notice of other's ... Your wife can explain further
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by jozz(m): 8:07pm On Jul 29, 2018
sportskid:

They do all the works themselves, that sounds like stinginess..... JW are very self-centered in there approach, they will never collect anything from you e.g fliers,tracts or even here your preaching, but they will try to seduce you with there hypocritical smile in order to make u hear them. They have no love, don't honour invitations, they think they are the only ones who know God......Horse shit

Pele
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Deadlytruth(m): 8:07pm On Jul 29, 2018
Hairyrapunzel:

They will not want to call it offering because they want to look different from others. What they don't know is that they practice the same thing just like the others no matter the kind of name they want to tag theirs

You just said it all very succinctly. The outward appearance of being different is their priority. Same reason why they don't call themselves a church as Jesus Himself directed but chose for themselves a name not found anywhere in the scriptures. They would have even been more sincere if they had been calling themselves Kingdom Hallers rather than still struggling to be called Christians whom they want to appear different from by all means. Very funny folks.

2 Likes

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Deadlytruth(m): 8:24pm On Jul 29, 2018
dometome:
Cornelius after receiving the gospel from the apostles stopped being a military official, the army will send you to kill a fellow human being simply because some stupid politicians said so, is that Christlike? Mind you Christianity is not limited to Israelites alone, it is a global movement, in Rwanda fir example Catholic Hutus were happily killing Tutsi Catholics, while the bible said you should have agape love between each other, so if I kill my brother, where is the love? When you talk, think first not after.

Please can you point me to the part of the scriptures that expressly states that Cornelius resigned from the Army after his conversion?
Did the Roman centurion also resign from the Army after receiving Jesus' miracle? Did the soldiers who encountered John The Baptist resign from their jobs after hearing his message in the wilderness?
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Peterosky(m): 8:25pm On Jul 29, 2018
InansBobo:
Have u ever been to a Pentecostal church and was sent out because you were not with offering/tithe?
Has any Pentecostal forced money out of your pocket? (if any then run from there because they are many that don't do that). You just want to attack baselessly
.My dear you don't need to kill yourself to defend what you really don't know.I don't want to tell you my story cause I will like to open a thread about it.In my church, you can be suspended for not paying your tithe.So what can you say about that? Are we not being forced to pay tithes and offerings?

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by cexodele(m): 8:36pm On Jul 29, 2018
Oga nobody points a gun on your head for any offering. It is optional and not by force
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by nairavsdollars(f): 8:39pm On Jul 29, 2018
I never saw anywhere in Scriptures that Cornelius resigned from the Army after believing Christ. That's pure lie

Deadlytruth:

Please can you point me to the part of the scriptures that expressly states that Cornelius resigned from the Army after his conversion?
The the Roman centurion also resign from the Army after receiving Jesus' miracle? Did the soldiers who encountered John The Baptist resign from their jobs after hearing his message in the wilderness?
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by dometome: 9:14pm On Jul 29, 2018
Deadlytruth:

The the Roman centurion also resign from the Army after receiving Jesus' miracle? Did the soldiers who encountered John The Baptist resign from their jobs after hearing his message in the wilderness?
It is true that it wasn't recorded in the scriptures, but we can tell very well that, since Christians were pacifists, being in the army will only negate that fact, mind you that in the Roman empires, being a high ranking official in the army was an easy way to make it into the Roman Senate, Cornelius did not get to that extent, he was paid sixteen times the wage of a day labourer, so he clearly had the means. I asked you a question, okay let me bring it home, during the world war 2 The German church fathers prayed over and blessed the weapons of the Nazis, the Nazis used the weapons to march into France and killed very many Catholics, while the Christian way is that of peace and agape love, so where is the love?
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Zendinho(m): 9:20pm On Jul 29, 2018
adebayo111:
so they obtain under false pretence.

You are not far from the truth sir....

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Zendinho(m): 9:23pm On Jul 29, 2018
damariox:

Am a former jw and you're totally correct

I will have loved to have a first hand info from you sir..... as in d differences as a member and a non member....

Anyway i salute ur courage.... Twale.

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Wizedoc(m): 9:30pm On Jul 29, 2018
otuekong1:
op you are wrong on ur ascertion on pentecostal churches,they dnt compel their congregation to give money(offering) and secondly d offerings n tithes collected are used in paying tax, paying pastor, welfare of members in needs n in running church activities: fuel,instrument(alist) etc
Please I'll like to know some churches in Nigeria that pays taxes and how the churches know how much to pay as tax. Thank you
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by nwanyiugbo122(f): 9:41pm On Jul 29, 2018
budusky05:

Why ask?
sorry cause of your response.
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by budusky05(m): 10:00pm On Jul 29, 2018
nwanyiugbo122:
sorry cause of your response.

Are u one?
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Hairyrapunzel: 10:19pm On Jul 29, 2018
Freiden:

If it is not true, don't say it. I'm no longer a JW due to personal reasons....

On the issue of giving (tithes, offering & donation) ...they are 100% okay. In all my years of bn a JW, I have never seen anyone donate all you listed above. Not saying there exists none, but you can't really tell when one person does that....all donations are done anonymously. No one gets to know who and who has donated this and that.

I prefer the traditional way of worshipping. As of now, I do not practice any religion. I'm telling you this so you wouldn't think I am JW and that's why I tend to speak in favour of the organisation.

If you are to go by what the Bible says, the JWs are the closest...

Note: I do not favour the Bible. I see the Bible as a Euro-Religios book...that explains why I am no longer a JW.

If in future I change my mind, I will return to bn a JW. They have their own flaws too but not in the aspect of giving (Tithes, offering & donation).

You want us to show you video where your governing body was telling and urging people to donate money, real estate, bond, stocks, shares jewelry etc. Mtchewww. Did I tell you not to go to your jw? You come here to accuse pentecostals whereas money doesn't fall from the sky in your religion. You say you donate voluntarily yet your magazines, websites and your TV programmes have places where they tell you what to donate, how to donate and where to donate. Hypocrites

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Hairyrapunzel: 10:24pm On Jul 29, 2018
dometome:
It is true that it wasn't recorded in the scriptures, but we can tell very well that, since Christians were pacifists, being in the army will only negate that fact, mind you that in the Roman empires, being a high ranking official in the army was an easy way to make it into the Roman Senate, Cornelius did not get to that extent, he was paid sixteen times the wage of a day labourer, so he clearly had the means. I asked you a question, okay let me bring it home, during the world war 2 The German church fathers prayed over and blessed the weapons of the Nazis, the Nazis used the weapons to march into France and killed very many Catholics, while the Christian way is that of peace and agape love, so where is the love?

He asked you a question from the bible that fear did not allow you answer because your non biblical doctrines on not joining army is not even in the Bible.

I just love the way you change topic whenever they ask you about your doctrines that are cannot be supported biblically

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Hairyrapunzel: 10:32pm On Jul 29, 2018
dometome:
Cornelius after receiving the gospel from the apostles stopped being a military official, the army will send you to kill a fellow human being simply because some stupid politicians said so, is that Christlike? Mind you Christianity is not limited to Israelites alone, it is a global movement, in Rwanda fir example Catholic Hutus were happily killing Tutsi Catholics, while the bible said you should have agape love between each other, so if I kill my brother, where is the love? When you talk, think first not after.

You are a liar and a propagandist. Because you want to peddle falsehood you tell grevious lies against a religious sect to promote your non biblical doctrines. It's only in watchtower you have a lie about Hutu Catholics happily killing Tutsi Catholics because they want to justify their stance on not joining the military which is not even in the Bible.

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by dometome: 10:59pm On Jul 29, 2018
Hairyrapunzel:

He asked you a question from the bible that fear did not allow you answer because your non biblical doctrines on not joining army is not even in the Bible.

I just love the way you change topic whenever they ask you about your doctrines that are cannot be supported biblically
I did not change topic. That is why you fail simple English questions. This is the second time I am asking him the question. Where is the love, if you cannot answer that question too then please shut up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (20) (Reply)

Rev King, Pentecostalism, Christianity, Gullibility And Igbo Nation / My Experience With Fake Bishop Oyedepo On Facebook(snapshots) / Obituary Of Reverend Father Cyriacus Onunkwo, To Be Buried With His Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.