Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,810 members, 7,817,352 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? (29273 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Pentecostal Churches With The Best Choir/Music Department / Five Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses. / 400 Jehovah's Witnesses In Angola Pass Out Due To Toxic Gas At A Convention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 29, 2018
deepwater:

They have a huge work force base in every country of their operation.

Here in Nigeria, they operate from Igieduma in Edo State otherwise referred to as Bethel.

In there , they have thousands of volunteers in different discipline to assist in every aspect they may require. They are skilled, semi skilled and so like that. With such volunteers for free, you may wish to agree that funds would be just a minor faction to erecting structures. And yes they don't pay salaries to their volunteers(as they always say) but they have other volunteers that do the cooking, another that do the farming and another that does just about any other thing. It's like a system of government where you trade in barter by helping some group do what your group can and the other groups help your group whey they can. That way money becomes almost insignificant.

But hey man. That sheet is a cult.
So many rules, u don't fuxk doggy style, u don't keep goatees, u don't pray with others, no allegiance to the country, no singing of national anthem, no joining of military, no smoking but you can drink to stupor and no anal sex,

The bolded is not true.. In all my 20yrs of bn a JW...aint nothing like this
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by bionixs: 3:39pm On Jul 29, 2018
enambobo:

Giving is not the key but "Cheerful" giving is. The heart condition really maters to God when we make contributions to him. Many people today give with the intent of getting back just as your post portrays. But Jehovah's Witnesses recognise that Jehovah is well pleased when they give from the heart (2cor 9:7)- "Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion for God loves a cheerful giver". Hence their members don't have to be compelled or reminded on a weekly bases to contribute to Him.
if the bible says that if you give , it shall be given UNTO you,would it be wrong if the giver expect a return? giving with EXPECTATION freely from your heart is FAITH. Anything done without FAITH is sin. .....EXPECTATION of the righteous shall not be cut off. Expectation is the mother of MANIFESTATION. Giving without expecting anything in return would make the giver to do it anyhow. it is the kind of unseriousness displayed by a businessman who doesn't make profit from his business. GOD expects you to give with expectations because that shows that He truly has the capacity to reward. but we must do it willingly and not under compulsion so we can be rewarded

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Bayusity(m): 3:40pm On Jul 29, 2018
There is a pentecostal church that does that as well. IGEM is a pentecostal church and doesn't impose tithe and offering on any member. There is actually boxes in the Church in which you can drop your offering or tithe there anytime anyday you wish, it just have to come from your heart.

2 Likes

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Themandator: 3:41pm On Jul 29, 2018
blackmantis:
I attended a marriage in a Catholic Church in AkwaIbom. When it was time for offering it was row by row... everyone on each row gets up dances to the front and put something in the tray or box provided.

If you don't get up you'd be the only one sitting down.....quite embarrassing.

No vex.they won't do it next time
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by donjahsy(m): 3:41pm On Jul 29, 2018
TLisieux:
How do JW fund their Kingdom hall buildings and other projects? I am curious.
They do that through contributions, though they tell the congregation of the new project at hand so they can make free will donations towards that, they might equally write letters to other congregations telling them to make free will donations towards their new project. they don't compel you to contribute.
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Jascon4: 3:49pm On Jul 29, 2018
Themandator:

Whether you do not doesn't change what the Bible has to say about tithe and offering..... God's opinion is always the same but he, through the Holy Spirit, is ever ready to denounce your interpretation of his word.....

Jesus personally supervised the collection of offering not free will donations ... He saw a poor old widow put money into the offerings box and didn't return it to her neither did he give her more money...that should tell you that nobody is exempted from giving to the course of the kingdom...how it ends up being used it of no concern to you.....whatever name you called it while giving it is what God records it as.... Gen 2:19.......see Luke 21:1-4

Jesus did not forbid the new Church from tithe. The church he met when he was on earth had teachers, scribes and the rest...no levites but yet they were paying tithes and making a show of it that he, Jesus had to teach them the kingdom order for giving. He did not stop tithe..... See Matt 23:23.... Tithe is received by men but is acknowledged by God in heaven....Heb 7:8

I have zero intention of engaging you in offering or tithe debate. I only meant to correct a misinformation from the poster I first quoted.

For clearer picture and understanding of the subject which you chose to dabble, I would suggest you carry out a deeper and broader biblical research and be open minded, the truth isn't far fetched afterall.
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Themandator: 3:51pm On Jul 29, 2018
Jascon4:

I have zero intention of engaging you in offering or tithe debate. I only meant to correct a misinformation from the poster I first quoted.

For clearer picture and understanding of the subject which you chose to dabble, I would suggest you carry out a deeper and broader biblical research and be open minded, the truth isn't far fetched afterall.

The scriptures I quoted is the Bible of God's word.which other research will change it?...or you wet to tell me how tithe is on farm produce

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Jethrolite(m): 3:56pm On Jul 29, 2018
nwanyiugbo122:
which one is wayo convertion again?
Become a witness, marry her then leave Jwit.

The absurd thing about witnesses is that they believe everyone outside their congregation is unsaved even Christians. I love most of their doctrines but this one is a pile of elephant sh!t.
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Themandator: 3:58pm On Jul 29, 2018
nwanyiugbo122:
Nothing like "top able body in Jw organization, every body volutarily contributes, every body is equal, you can see a Jw that is stinky rich sweeping the kingdom hall. Even in building,they don't hire anyone, they do it themselves. Ask your wife

Holier than thou mentality.which church worships 'stinky rich' : A chief judge of a state is a toilet cleaner in Winners. An army colonel is a cso. A police Supol...one step from an assistant Commissioner of police.... worked under me as a security man... You can go and ask Dogara, Mikel and the likes which unit they belong to in their branches

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Evangkatsoulis: 4:00pm On Jul 29, 2018
Onyenku2:

Via voluntary contributions ONLY.
And if the contributions don't meet the expected amount, what do they do?
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by emeijeh(m): 4:01pm On Jul 29, 2018
Jascon4:

You need to verify your information before you misinform the general public

I don't know of the other bolded, but he is right on the alcohol talk.
JW are so undisciplined when it comes to taking alcohol.

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by adebayo111: 4:03pm On Jul 29, 2018
Zendinho:
Based on my own opinion, i think they don't force people to pay, rather they only used persuasive, appealing, coded, manipulative, religiously captivating and heavenly inspiring words or terminologies in getting monies from their members...

So it's left for the member to technically unravel their tricks or fall for them.

If you know you know.
so they obtain under false pretence.

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Jascon4: 4:07pm On Jul 29, 2018
emeijeh:

I don't know of the other bolded, but he is right on the alcohol talk.
JW are so undisciplined when it comes to taking alcohol.

You are definitely wrong...the Bible encourages moderation in drinking, and JW as you may not know urges strict adherence to this and every other Bible's admonition. This is a a fact.

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by hopefulLandlord: 4:09pm On Jul 29, 2018
lexy2014:
I was at a programme in Benin some years ago. D programme was organised by Abraham chibundu(permit my spelling) of voice of freedom. At d time, apostle Suleiman who was d guest speaker, was still fresh, a new kid on d block. Wasn't so popular then but was reputed 4 calling peoples phone numbers. After his "ministration", he decided 2 collect "special seed" based on d "leading" meanwhile, offering had been collected b4. Suleiman said, he was being led to collect dollars&that there were people in d congregation who God had told him would give dollars. Nobody was led to give dollars & by this time, it was getting late so some people started leaving. When Suleiman noticed people were leaving, he ordered d ushers to shut d doors that no one should leave until after he was done with his collection. Does this story answer ur question?

seriously? can people corroborate this story?
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Evangkatsoulis: 4:23pm On Jul 29, 2018
deepwater:

Here in Nigeria, they operate from Igieduma in Edo State otherwise referred to as Bethel.

In there , they have thousands of volunteers in different discipline to assist in every aspect they may require. They are skilled, semi skilled and so like that. With such volunteers for free, you may wish to agree that funds would be just a minor faction to erecting structures. And yes they don't pay salaries to their volunteers(as they always say) but they have other volunteers that do the cooking, another that do the farming and another that does just about any other thing. It's like a system of government where you trade in barter by helping some group do what your group can and the other groups help your group whey they can. That way money becomes almost insignificant.

So many rules, u don't fuxk doggy style, u don't keep goatees, u don't pray with others, no allegiance to the country, no singing of national anthem, no joining of military, no smoking but you can drink to stupor and no anal sex,

How does your last paragraph make them a cult.
They reference the bible in all of that.

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by hisexcellency34: 4:29pm On Jul 29, 2018
You mean there is a passage in the Bible that says 'don't Bleep doggy style, no anal sex?'

Evangkatsoulis:

How does your last paragraph make them a cult.
They reference the bible in all of that.
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Hairyrapunzel: 4:32pm On Jul 29, 2018
Freiden:

The bolded is not true.. In all my 20yrs of bn a JW...aint nothing like this
Only the bolded is not true? Interesting.
Last last everyone must give something to the religion he or she belongs to. I love how people ain't falling for the bullshit jw call voluntary donation.
It better for me to give offering and tithes to a church than for me to give my brain, time, real estate, jewelry, bonds, stocks, shares, money to watchtower all in the name of voluntary donation.

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Hairyrapunzel: 4:34pm On Jul 29, 2018
Jascon4:

You are definitely wrong...the Bible encourages moderation in drinking, and JW as you may not know urges strict adherence to this and every other Bible's admonition. This is a a fact.
The bible never mentioned smoking yet your religion disfellowships and shuns people for smoking cigarette.
Hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Waffarianman(m): 4:35pm On Jul 29, 2018
smileyoo:
lucky you. i had one before, such a caring lady, but the parent's strict posture, messed up the show. sobs.

Their parents are the once messing up the whole things.
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by pascalbenz: 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2018
damariox:

Am a former jw and you're totally correct

Hehehe One Leg In One Leg Out You Don Turn Apostate Na, Dem Be Baptize You ?
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by OGFarouq(m): 4:48pm On Jul 29, 2018
TLisieux:

they do this through voluntary contributions from willing members who are eager to use their resources to advance God's worship.
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by gfullmoon(m): 4:57pm On Jul 29, 2018
[quote author=deepwater post=69799945]

So many rules, u don't fuxk doggy style, u don't keep goatees, u don't pray with others, no allegiance to the country, no singing of national anthem, no joining of military, no smoking but you can drink to stupor and no anal sex, [/quote

A "cult" that do not permit all this things you listed is not a bad one any way. But a good cult.

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by ndubuisi6: 5:00pm On Jul 29, 2018
Jehovah's witnesses organization, are jst unique. No one is compelled to donate anytin.

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by hopefulLandlord: 5:17pm On Jul 29, 2018
hisexcellency34:
You mean there is a passage in the Bible that says 'don't Bleep doggy style, no anal sex?'

ALL religions are cults, go figure....
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by goody1shoe73(m): 5:17pm On Jul 29, 2018
TLisieux:
How Is the Work of Jehovah’s Witnesses Financed?
Play
Current Time 0:00
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%
Duration time 0:00
Mute
Download
Audio recordings download options
MP3
Our preaching work is primarily financed by voluntary donations from Jehovah’s Witnesses. No collections are taken at our meetings, and members are not required to tithe. (Matthew 10:7, cool Instead, contribution boxes are provided in our meeting places so that if someone wishes to make a donation, he may do so. Donors remain anonymous.

One reason that our expenses are manageable is that we have no paid clergy. In addition, Witnesses are not paid to go from house to house, and our places of worship are modest.

Any donations that are forwarded to the branch offices of Jehovah’s Witnesses are used to relieve victims of natural disasters, to support our missionaries and traveling ministers, to help construct our houses of worship in developing countries, and to print and ship Bibles and other Christian publications.

Each person decides if he or she wants to donate toward paying for local expenses, for our worldwide work, or for both. Every congregation provides regular financial reports for the information of its members.
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Hairyrapunzel: 5:17pm On Jul 29, 2018
ndubuisi6:
Jehovah's witnesses organization, are jst unique. No one is compelled to donate anytin.
But they tell you what to donate, how to donate and when to donate.
I don't think Muslims give offering and tithes. They are not compelled to donate anything. I guess they are unique like you guys.
Is your religion a charity organization?

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Hairyrapunzel: 5:20pm On Jul 29, 2018
goody1shoe73:
How Is the Work of Jehovah’s Witnesses Financed?
Play
Current Time 0:00
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%
Duration time 0:00
Mute
Download
Audio recordings download options
MP3
Our preaching work is primarily financed by voluntary donations from Jehovah’s Witnesses. No collections are taken at our meetings, and members are not required to tithe. (Matthew 10:7, cool Instead, contribution boxes are provided in our meeting places so that if someone wishes to make a donation, he may do so. Donors remain anonymous.

One reason that our expenses are manageable is that we have no paid clergy. In addition, Witnesses are not paid to go from house to house, and our places of worship are modest.

Any donations that are forwarded to the branch offices of Jehovah’s Witnesses are used to relieve victims of natural disasters, to support our missionaries and traveling ministers, to help construct our houses of worship in developing countries, and to print and ship Bibles and other Christian publications.

Each person decides if he or she wants to donate toward paying for local expenses, for our worldwide work, or for both. Every congregation provides regular financial reports for the information of its members.

At least your religion is funded by donations from members just like other religions
The monthly stipend/allowance they give bethelites is what?

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Geesaintagape: 5:26pm On Jul 29, 2018
InansBobo:
Have u ever been to a Pentecostal church and was sent out because you were not with offering/tithe?
Has any Pentecostal forced money out of your pocket? (if any then run from there because they are many that don't do that). You just want to attack baselessly
Churches compel people indirectly via things like these;
Pay ur tithe to make heaven.
Don't rob God
Don't give God little.
Challenge God with money.
Issuing tithe card to monitor tithers n non tithers.
Linking every sermon to money
Preaching like 'If u don't tithe ur conditions will b tight '
my Anglican at okwe asaba says no weddings for non tithers.
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by dometome: 5:34pm On Jul 29, 2018
Gerrard59:
Just like most posters have said, the donations are strictly on optional basis. On the other hand, the JWs are good but like Deepwater said, they operate like a cult. Apparently, most religious groups do so but theirs is to another level. I cannot forget them excommunicating my mom because she joined the army. What a church!

But hey! They practice what they preach and are not cacophonous during service.
Cornelius after receiving the gospel from the apostles stopped being a military official, the army will send you to kill a fellow human being simply because some stupid politicians said so, is that Christlike? Mind you Christianity is not limited to Israelites alone, it is a global movement, in Rwanda fir example Catholic Hutus were happily killing Tutsi Catholics, while the bible said you should have agape love between each other, so if I kill my brother, where is the love? When you talk, think first not after.
Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by zinizta: 5:35pm On Jul 29, 2018
nairavsdollars:
I attended the church of Jehovah's Witnesses and i noticed they don't compel people to pay Tithes and Offerings like most Pentecostal churches.

All they have is a box where any willing attendee is free to drop whatever he or she desires. No POS, no long sermon, no threat on giving like most Pentecostal churches. Jesus Christ never forced people to give and Christians are meant to emulate Christ.

I don’t like their doctrines but on this i am impressed.

Christianity is not what you like or what i like, it is what God likes.

i haven't paid tithe in two years now. am I disobedient? Capital YES!!!! By God's standards...i know I need to repent on this but more dangerously is getting a sense of false security by believing doctrines that are not scripture compliant....

Remember 1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

1 Like

Re: Can Pentecostal Churches Make Offerings Optional Like Jehovah's Witnesses? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 29, 2018
Hairyrapunzel:

Only the bolded is not true? Interesting.
Last last everyone must give something to the religion he or she belongs to. I love how people ain't falling for the bullshit jw call voluntary donation.
It better for me to give offering and tithes to a church than for me to give my brain, time, real estate, jewelry, bonds, stocks, shares, money to watchtower all in the name of voluntary donation.

If it is not true, don't say it. I'm no longer a JW due to personal reasons....

On the issue of giving (tithes, offering & donation) ...they are 100% okay. In all my years of bn a JW, I have never seen anyone donate all you listed above. Not saying there exists none, but you can't really tell when one person does that....all donations are done anonymously. No one gets to know who and who has donated this and that.

I prefer the traditional way of worshipping. As of now, I do not practice any religion. I'm telling you this so you wouldn't think I am JW and that's why I tend to speak in favour of the organisation.

If you are to go by what the Bible says, the JWs are the closest...

Note: I do not favour the Bible. I see the Bible as a Euro-Religios book...that explains why I am no longer a JW.

If in future I change my mind, I will return to bn a JW. They have their own flaws too but not in the aspect of giving (Tithes, offering & donation).

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

I Need An Interpretation Of This Dream / The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional / Rev King, Pentecostalism, Christianity, Gullibility And Igbo Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.