Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,534 members, 7,770,388 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:14 AM

What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. (1228 Views)

Yorubas eat far more Pepper than other Nigerians, Is This Actually True? / What Do Nigerians Think Of Other Nigerians Who Only Speak Or Understand English? / Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 5:06pm On Jul 29, 2018
Same. Im just wondering what other Nigerians think when they hear of or see an Ijaw or Bayelsan.
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 29, 2018
they see thugs, cultists. that just my opinion sha.
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Asquare84(m): 6:11pm On Jul 29, 2018
People who are lazy and always depending on government because the have oil
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by dominique(f): 6:57pm On Jul 29, 2018
Fishermen/fisherwomen
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by 1shortblackboy: 7:10pm On Jul 29, 2018
my brothers
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 7:21pm On Jul 29, 2018
ThatIjawBoy:
they see thugs, cultists. that just my opinion sha.
and you're an Ijaw SMH
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 7:22pm On Jul 29, 2018
Asquare84:
People who are lazy and always depending on government because the have oil

Hmmm I asked for it! Well you're not wrong and you're not right either.
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 7:23pm On Jul 29, 2018
dominique:
Fishermen/fisherwomen
This got me laughing lol
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 7:23pm On Jul 29, 2018
1shortblackboy:
my brothers
Were are u from
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by dollytino4real(f): 7:24pm On Jul 29, 2018
militant and ready to fight people.
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 29, 2018
Sinistami:
and you're an Ijaw SMH
that's what they think undecided ,not what I think sad
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 7:25pm On Jul 29, 2018
dollytino4real:
militant and ready to fight people.
Hmmmm I can see how you think that way.
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 29, 2018
Sinistami:
now am I lying? undecided undecided
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by dollytino4real(f): 7:28pm On Jul 29, 2018
Sinistami:
yes or not
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 7:28pm On Jul 29, 2018
ThatIjawBoy:
that's what they think undecided ,not what I think sad

Don't take it wrong my SMH isn't for you it's for the Entire Bayelsa plus The Ijaw nation. I see you as truthful and honest.
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 29, 2018
Sinistami:

Don't take it wrong my SMH isn't for you it's for the Entire Bayelsa plus The Ijaw nation. I see you as truthful and honest.
ok smiley well it's not all that bad sha.
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 7:36pm On Jul 29, 2018
dollytino4real:
yes or not

True True. I just finished my Post UTMe at Uyo on Wednesday while I was at Uyo I met this nice Ibibio boy he asked where I was from because I happend to not have tribal intonations when speaking my pidgin or English. and I answered him Bayelsa and he was like: I hear say Bayelsa Boys ruff o make you no vex Kari Bottle boss one of this lecturers dem head one day o and I was like Iam not like that o.
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 8:21pm On Jul 29, 2018
I need more Answers Seun Lalasticala pls pay heed.
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Africaman: 4:30pm On Jul 30, 2018
Sinistami:
Same. Im just wondering what other Nigerians think when they hear of or see an Ijaw or Bayelsan.
I'm not an Ijawman myself, but when I see Ijaws/Bayelsans generally, they are just like other Southern Nigerians, but with a different language and some distinct cultural peculiarities. As they live by the sea, they are excellent fishermen, boatmen and swimmers.

When thinking of prominent people from Ijawland/Bayelsa state, I think of people like:

A) Late Major Isaac Adaka Boro - Ijaw freedom fighter, who declared the Niger Delta Republic in 1966, but later fought on the federal side in the civil war, where he lost his life.

B) J. P. Clark - Playwright and poet and elder statesman of Nigerian literature, who joined Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe to plead for late Gen Mamman Vatsa's life over the alleged coup plate against Gen Ibrahim Babangida in 1986. In 1968 he wrote and published America, Their America, a travelogue based on his experiences
in America, which caused great controversy in the literary world. I would really like to read this book, as I have heard of it many years ago, but unable to locate a copy. J.P. Clark aslso wrote the The Ozidi Saga - an epic of Ijaw oral history in 1966.

C) Prof Tam David-West - Petroleum Minister under General Buhari, Minister of mines, power, and steel under General Babangida's presidency in the 1980s. He was accused of economic crimes and arrested by Babangida's regime, but was later cleared. I believe he was a man of great competence and integrity, though he wasn't really recognised or appreciated.

D) Mujahid Dokubo-Asari - Ijaw freedom fighter who brought Nigeria's operations to a standstill in 2002/2003, after his group NDPVF(Niger Delta People's Volunteer Force) attacked oil installations. It took the intervention of some foreign countries to bring Nigeria's government at the time to negotiate with NDPVF, because their attacks had destabilised world oil prices.

E) Dr. Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan - President of Nigeria 2010 - 2015. A scholar, a fisherman and a politician. The first elected president to peacefully handover to another elected president, without challenging the result. Like him or not, he has earned his place in Nigeria's democratic history.

F) Gabriel Okara - Poet and novelist, another elder statesman of Nigerian literature.

G) DSP Alamieyeseigha - Former Nigerian Air Force officer, later on became a politician and governor of Bayelsa state. Supposedly was the political Godfather of former President Goodluck Jonathan.

I) Alfred Diete-Spiff - The Amayanabo of Twon-Brass, a former military officer and first Military Governor of old Rivers State. Indeed, he was the first ever Rivers State governor, period!

Thats all I can think of right now.

ciao
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 11:37pm On Jul 30, 2018
Africaman:

I'm not an Ijawman myself, but when I see Ijaws/Bayelsans generally, they are just like other Southern Nigerians, but with a different language and some distinct cultural peculiarities. As they live by the sea, they are excellent fishermen, boatmen and swimmers.

When thinking of prominent people from Ijawland/Bayelsa state, I think of people like:

A) Late Major Isaac Adaka Boro - Ijaw freedom fighter, who declared the Niger Delta Republic in 1966, but later fought on the federal side in the civil war, where he lost his life.

B) J. P. Clark - Playwright and poet and elder statesman of Nigerian literature, who joined Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe to plead for late Gen Mamman Vatsa's life over the alleged coup plate against Gen Ibrahim Babangida in 1986. In 1968 he wrote and published America, Their America, a travelogue based on his experiences
in America, which caused great controversy in the literary world. I would really like to read this book, as I have heard of it many years ago, but unable to locate a copy. J.P. Clark aslso wrote the The Ozidi Saga - an epic of Ijaw oral history in 1966.

C) Prof Tam David-West - Petroleum Minister under General Buhari, Minister of mines, power, and steel under General Babangida's presidency in the 1980s. He was accused of economic crimes and arrested by Babangida's regime, but was later cleared. I believe he was a man of great competence and integrity, though he wasn't really recognised or appreciated.

D) Mujahid Dokubo-Asari - Ijaw freedom fighter who brought Nigeria's operations to a standstill in 2002/2003, after his group NDPVF(Niger Delta People's Volunteer Force) attacked oil installations. It took the intervention of some foreign countries to bring Nigeria's government at the time to negotiate with NDPVF, because their attacks had destabilised world oil prices.

E) Dr. Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan - President of Nigeria 2010 - 2015. A scholar, a fisherman and a politician. The first elected president to peacefully handover to another elected president, without challenging the result. Like him or not, he has earned his place in Nigeria's democratic history.

F) Gabriel Okara - Poet and novelist, another elder statesman of Nigerian literature.

G) DSP Alamieyeseigha - Former Nigerian Air Force officer, later on became a politician and governor of Bayelsa state. Supposedly was the political Godfather of former President Goodluck Jonathan.

I) Alfred Diete-Spiff - The Amayanabo of Twon-Brass, a former military officer and first Military Governor of old Rivers State. Indeed, he was the first ever Rivers State governor, period!

Thats all I can think of right now.

ciao

Thanks
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by FisifunKododada: 3:16am On Aug 03, 2018
ogogoro sippers
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 6:13am On Aug 03, 2018
FisifunKododada:
ogogoro sippers

Your Father ear weh weh! mind you we don't call it Ogogoro we add an N Ogongoro or just call it Kai Kai. anyway Your Fada Nyanch again.
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Alexgeneration(m): 12:00pm On Aug 05, 2018
A place filled with drunks, lazy youths and a den of promiscuous ladies who take pride in having lots of babies for different men who are equally irresponsible.

There ladies comes first in having children out of wedlock.

Truth is bitter
Re: What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. by Sinistami(m): 12:42pm On Aug 05, 2018
Alexgeneration:
A place filled with drunks, lazy youths and a den of promiscuous ladies who take pride in having lots of babies for different men who are equally irresponsible.

There ladies comes first in having children out of wedlock.

Truth is bitter

This guy came in prepared. All true but Your Fada Nyanch still. Don't mind me o you're spot on but you still chose to mention only the bad truth forgetting there are also good in them. So Your ear weh weh.

(1) (Reply)

. / Apomu Town Gets New Monarch / Do Yorubas Speak Igbos Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.