Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,497 members, 7,770,239 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:58 AM

Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. (852 Views)

Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas / What Do Other Nigerians Think Of Bayelsans. / Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Becomes The Youngest King In Ijaw Nation. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Sinistami(m): 2:13pm On Aug 05, 2018
1 Their is no language known as Ijaw neither do the Ijaws have a common language. The closest thing to a common language is Izon which is spoken by Four million people mostly the sub group ijaw and is the most important one of the Ijo languages which include Kalabari, Epie, Ibani, Nembe, Ogbia,Engenne etc.

2 The Name Ijaw is an English Corruption or Anglicization of Ijo The name given to them by their Founder Ujo a Yoruba prince(This kind things naim de confuse me. I swear Ethnicity is just an illusion created by the Human mind). their ancestral name was Oru.

3 Not all Bayelsans can swim. I swear I can't.

4 Not all Bayelsans and Ijaw eat fish. I hate fish I swear. But I won't dear insult it before my Brothers or else dem go slap TB enter my Chest.

5 Not all Bayelsans are drunks but I see why people see it that way.

6 A lot of Ijaws and Bayelsans mostly of Eastern and central descent almost always have one or two Ibo ancestors .

7 The Epie-Attisa and the Zarama and Engenne sub groups are said to come from Benin. they speak Edoid languages. They are many other Ijaw subgroup and Clans who claim to be from Benin but speak Izon and other Ijaw languages including Tarakiri Kalabari Mein etc.

8 Many Izon dialects are Mutually unintelligible.

Thanks for reading.

2 Likes

Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Heartbender: 2:27pm On Aug 05, 2018
After number 1 fact, the rest is hocus pocus
Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Sinistami(m): 2:29pm On Aug 05, 2018
Heartbender:
After number 1 fact, the rest is hocus pocus

Hocus Pocus to you my friend. Hocus Pocus to you.
Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Blakjewelry(m): 2:38pm On Aug 05, 2018
perhaps op need to do more research
Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by daveP(m): 2:40pm On Aug 05, 2018
their girls are good to be with.
Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Sinistami(m): 2:40pm On Aug 05, 2018
Blakjewelry:
perhaps op need to do more research

Why do You think so?
Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Sinistami(m): 2:42pm On Aug 05, 2018
daveP:
their girls are good to be with.
Hmmm I sight You.
Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Heartbender: 2:43pm On Aug 05, 2018
I am Ijaw...Rivers Ijaw, Eastern Ijaw and you can't wake up from a Sunday slumber, subscribe to free data and type whatever gibberish and then add "I am Ijaw" just to sound cool. Which Yoruba prince found and named an ethnic group whose people are without national borders? Do you think we are just a minority living in liquid quarters of the Niger area? How can you just imagine a vain thing that some originate from Benin? What fever pitch is your malaria and typhoid this sunny day of the Most High?
Sinistami:

Hocus Pocus to you my friend. Hocus Pocus to you.
Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by daveP(m): 2:43pm On Aug 05, 2018
Sinistami:

Hmmm I sight You.
Lol. pretty too.
Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Sinistami(m): 2:56pm On Aug 05, 2018
Heartbender:
I am Ijaw...Rivers Ijaw, Eastern Ijaw and you can't wake up from a Sunday slumber, subscribe to free data and type whatever gibberish and then add "I am Ijaw" just to sound cool. Which Yoruba prince found and named an ethnic group whose people are without national borders? Do you think we are just a minority living in liquid quarters of the Niger area? How can you just imagine a vain thing that some originate from Benin? What fever pitch is your malaria and typhoid this sunny day of the Most High?

You My friend needs to go study more on Ijaws what I meant was that the Izon subgroup got their name from the Ujo the prince not the entire Ethnic group. and seems you are not that exposed to Ijaw Folk lore. really you seem Ignorant which Bayelsans doesn't know that the Epie attisa came from Benin.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Heartbender: 3:07pm On Aug 05, 2018
You that is exposed to demented literature abi? Stop reading people's history from the voices of a rented crowd or looking at it with one eye.
Sinistami:

You My friend needs to go study more on Ijaws what I meant was that the Izon subgroup got their name from the Ujo the prince not the entire Ethnic group. and seems you are not that exposed to Ijaw Folk lore. really you seem Ignorant which Bayelsans doesn't know that the Epie attisa came from Benin.
Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Sinistami(m): 3:14pm On Aug 05, 2018
Heartbender:
You that is exposed to demented literature abi? Stop reading people's history from the voices of a rented crowd or looking at it with one eye.

Abegi Hide face Joor. Before I talk you think say I no know wetin I de talk. My Dad is from Zarama (Engenn) My mom is from Epie-Attisa . Iam full blown Bayelsan so I know what Iam talking about. When an Edo man speaks an Epie and Zarama person can still understand bits and Vice versa. same with Isoko and Urhobo. really goan research.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Fatherofdragons: 8:35pm On Aug 08, 2018
oga biko not to derail this thread, it's igbo not ibo.
Thanks
Re: Correcting Some Misconceptions And Facts About Bayelsans And The Ijaw Nation. by Sinistami(m): 9:12pm On Aug 08, 2018
Fatherofdragons:
oga biko not to derail this thread, it's igbo not ibo.

Thanks

Sorry its just the way I pronounce it

(1) (Reply)

Welcome to Nigeria Where Strippers Are Put In Cages In full View at weddings / Misterious Man With 7 Goats Shocked Benue Community. / Breaking: Commotion In Iree As Monarch Breaks Into Seclusion Shrine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.