Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter - Jobs/Vacancies (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter (33684 Views)

What's The Most Insensitive Question(s) A Recruiter Has Ever Asked You? / My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie / Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by dramaticspeak(m): 4:19pm On Sep 26, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

Including HR Administration, Payroll, Recruitment and employee welfare? shocked

No body fit catch me mugu again I don know everything for HR. grin

Tell me why did the NNPC outsource recruitment? Because it is a transcational role not transformational .
Excuse me sir. Can you kindly define strategy? You seem to have clouded your head with so much knowledge but it is clear you do not possess hands-on experience in HR.
I repeat not all HR roles are strategic that is why organisations outsource those transnational roles to save cost.

The strategic roles are those roles your clients companies will never out source. grin

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Fabuloski(m): 6:19pm On Sep 26, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

Sorry, we are not just hiring skills.

In fact, skills make up just 60% of what we are looking for.

We look at character and one way to approximate the type of person you are (serious or unserious, professional or unprofessional) without meeting you is by looking at your email.

Don't forget we ain't begging you. There are others that would gladly take your place.

If you think you have skills, there are much more people better than you.

We don't just need your skills, we need a total human being.
Sir, I am an undergraduate and I really love your lecture here. I will appreciate it if you can be my mentor sir.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 7:47pm On Sep 26, 2018
@ dramaticspeak

Strategy is a standing plan in order to achieve a particular objective. It usually backed by policy development in order to bring about some consistency to the strategy.

Like I said before I am not a HR practitioner but it is obvious to me that you do not know anything in HR either.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by dramaticspeak(m): 11:24pm On Sep 26, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:
@ dramaticspeak

Strategy is a standing plan in order to achieve a particular objective. It usually backed by policy development in order to bring about some consistency to the strategy.

Like I said before I am not a HR practitioner but it is obvious to me that you do not know anything in HR either.

I rest my case. Since you claim to know! enjoy
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by EdoBoy90(m): 12:01am On Sep 27, 2018
One of the problems in Nigeria, we have a lot of PROFESSORS IN ANALYSIS but ranked world capital of POVERTY.

TRUSTEDGUY and OFFICIALAPCNIG, Una too know books.

I am here to read and add in my ENGINEERING accumulated technical skills, resourceful experience and capabilities .

We are following keenly
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by souljaboi51(m): 2:09pm On Sep 27, 2018
Fabuloski:

please sir, I am an undergraduate and I will love you to elaborate about these applications and algorithms.
Thank you.
I will be sending a mail for future purpose if that cool with you
Hi, i only learnt about them when i attended a HR software and applications seminar. I dont know how it works as it is not my area in HR
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by LaudableXX: 11:27pm On Sep 27, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:
Ok. Hopefully by the end of 2nd week of Feb, I would take delivery of my promotion letter and this would make me one of the youngest in the history of our company. I am less than 30 and I have only been with the company for less than 10 years.

January I am going to UK for the mandatory training. I was certified to practice in Nigeria few years ago and next year, I would be fully certified to practice in UK.

I didn't get there by being stupid or getting intimidated by what people think of my process.
Humility is a virtue. You boast too much. undecided

1 Like

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by blackgold2018(m): 3:39am On Sep 28, 2018
Nice
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 6:01pm On Sep 28, 2018
LaudableXX:
Humility is a virtue. You boast too much. undecided
If that would make you happy, good luck.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 6:04pm On Sep 28, 2018
Fabuloski:

Sir, I am an undergraduate and I really love your lecture here. I will appreciate it if you can be my mentor sir.
I am flattered. But believe me, I am not good at mentoring people. It is a bad habit I am working hard to overcome.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 6:23pm On Sep 28, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

Let me clarify you using recruitment as an example. Strategic roles deals with long term planning in the case of recruitment it entails man power/workforce planning, new skills requirements, Organizational interventions and they are done by the executives

Tactical roles are not day to day functions as you
claim but mid-term roles in the case of recruitment would entail high potential identification, candidates sourcing channels, using recruitment analytics to improve the process and it is undertaking by management typically GM and snr managers .

Finally we have the operational roles which involved the day to day functions of recruitment like screening of CVs short listing of candidates interviews and the likes handle by recruiters

NOT all roles in corporate HR is strategic. Corporate HR depends on the size of the organisation. smaller organisation will have all HR functions in corporate but larger organisations will have just strategic functions and roles in corporate and other distributed within the business.

AND to remain you you've not answered my question. Abi you no know am?
I hate this game you want to play.

But just know that if you work for a top company in Nigeria, there is the chance that I have personally led or involved in either recruitment, training, appraisal, quality and process audit, assurance and other strategic HR function for your organisation within the last 7 years.

It is only in Nigeria you would see a Lawyer teaching a Doctor how to do surgery.

Too much book knowledge doesn't make one smart.

Yes, I don't know your question, so can we put an end to this madness now?
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 7:37pm On Sep 28, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

What you don't know is more than you, and if you don't understand how recruitment process works for mass employment for entry positions, then just ask.

Thank you.

I am not playing any game with you but I am interested in your answers after all you asked me to ASK .

I know you might be wondering how I came to know the things I know. That itself is a long story.

However knowledge in HR has been of immense value to me. It help me during my interview because I was able to present my competencies in terms familiar with HR and help me to ask intelligent questions whenever they have seminars. They don't find my questions easily even FCIPD and FCIPD .

Although I don't practice HR. I am connected to real experts who took the pain to give all the info in HR. Even lastest trends that will evolve in the future ever heard of impact HR?

More so I will soon find myself in managerial position that is when my full knowledge will come to play. It will stand me out among my peers my knowledge of HR is strategic. I know where to use it.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 7:41pm On Sep 28, 2018
I joined my Agency before my 23rd Birthday and few months ago, I celebrated my 9th year with them.

With those years I have handled over 700+ different recruitment processes. Just recruitments alone.

If you divide this by 9, you would find out that on average I handle over 77 processes in year, this is about 1 each week.

I have dealt with over 500,000 CVs and hired or involved in the hiring of over 10,000 beautiful souls and I have worked with lots of badass HR people across all industries in Nigeria and many of them, we have personal rshp especially in Lagos.

What led me to open this thread is very simple.

I was in my office and I got a mail notification from my Senior Analyst (a senior staff in my team but subordinate to me).

I opened the mail I saw "ok, I would be there".

I was like, what the f**k is that? She told me it is an acknowledgment mail from a guy we gave an invite.
The dude has an impressive CV but the acknowledgement failed minimum acceptable standard, so the support team working on attendance forwarded the mail to the Analyst for clearance and she forwarded to me to seek my opinion.

I delisted the guy. I am not wicked, the dude has an impressive CV but the position (Financial Analyst) we were recruiting for is one that requires high level of professionalism and attention to details but his response portrayed him as someone can't satisfy those core values.

So few days later, I opened this thread to educate Entry Level applicants on how to go about application for entry level positions.

My intention was to move to higher level positions and then how to apply, get invite and then impress for MNC jobs interviews.

But in the course of doing that, some people started throwing insults carelessly and when I try to validate why I am qualify to give those advice, some tagged me arrogant and proud.

So I decided to stop updating and start responding only to mentions.

There are things I won't tolerate, getting insulted from people that would shiver when they sit before me in the interview room.

So in the light of this, I am leaving this thread permanently. Further inquiries should be directed to the dudes.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 7:57pm On Sep 28, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:
I joined my Agency before my 23rd Birthday and few months ago, I celebrated my 9th year with them.

With those years I have handled over 700+ different recruitment processes. Just recruitments alone.

If you divide this by 9, you would find out that on average I handle over 77 processes in year, this is about 1 each week.

I have dealt with over 500,000 CVs and hired or involved in the hiring of over 10,000 beautiful souls and I have worked with lots of badass HR people across all industries in Nigeria and many of them, we have personal rshp especially in Lagos.

What led me to open this thread is very simple.

I was in my office and I got a mail notification from my Senior Analyst (a senior staff in my team but subordinate to me).

I opened the mail I saw "ok, I would be there".

I was like, what the f**k is that? She told me it is an acknowledgment mail from a guy we gave an invite.
The dude has an impressive CV but the acknowledgement failed minimum acceptable standard, so the support team working on attendance forwarded the mail to the Analyst for clearance and she forwarded to me to seek my opinion.

I delisted the guy. I am not wicked, the dude has an impressive CV but the position (Financial Analyst) we were recruiting for is one that requires high level of professionalism and attention to details but his response portrayed him as someone can't satisfy those core values.

So few days later, I opened this thread to educate Entry Level applicants on how to go about application for entry level positions.

My intention was to move to higher level positions and then how to apply, get invite and then impress for MNC jobs interviews.

But in the course of doing that, some people started throwing insults carelessly and when I try to validate why I am qualify to give those advice, some tagged me arrogant and proud.

So I decided to stop updating and start responding only to mentions.

There are things I won't tolerate, getting insulted from people that would shiver when they sit before me in the interview room.

So in the light of this, I am leaving this thread permanently. Further inquiries should be directed to the dudes.

A true mark of a leader is your ability to accept criticism and insults. Remember insults will never change who you are or your status.

1 Like

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 7:59pm On Sep 28, 2018
Bad grammar everywhere, my bad.
Was pissed when typing that.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 8:02pm On Sep 28, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

A true mark of a leader is your ability to accept criticism and insults. Remember insults will never change who you are or your status.
I am trained to know when to pull the plug.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 8:04pm On Sep 28, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:
Bad grammar everywhere, my bad.

Was pissed when typing that.

Our educational system is bad. So bad that most graduates can not express themselves properly. You don't have to be pissed but pity them.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 8:07pm On Sep 28, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

Our educational system is bad. So bad that most graduates can not express themselves properly. You don't have to be pissed but pity them.
I was talking about that my long post. It was full of errors. My driver took a route with lots of potholes so I couldn't edit before posting.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 8:16pm On Sep 28, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

I was talking about that my long post. It was full of errors. My driver took a route with lots of potholes so I couldn't edit before posting.

You can do that later. The thread is now generating traffic . So it makes sense if you ratify them today.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 8:28pm On Sep 28, 2018
TRUSTEDGUY:

You can do that later. The thread is now generating traffic . So it makes sense if you ratify them today.
Thanks.

I am seeing a movie to clear my head, work was so stressful and I am leaving Lagos tomorrow morning.

So I don't think It can be today.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by TRUSTEDGUY: 8:40pm On Sep 28, 2018
grin
quote author=OfficialAPCNig post=71616177]
Thanks.

I am seeing a movie to clear my head, work was so stressful and I am leaving Lagos tomorrow morning.

So I don't think It can be today.[/quote]

You're welcome

Thank God is FRIDAY
grin

1 Like

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Gbengageorge: 9:05am On Sep 30, 2018
It is possible cos some doctors does not know what they are doing.

OfficialAPCNig:

I hate this game you want to play.

But just know that if you work for a top company in Nigeria, there is the chance that I have personally led or involved in either recruitment, training, appraisal, quality and process audit, assurance and other strategic HR function for your organisation within the last 7 years.

It is only in Nigeria you would see a Lawyer teaching a Doctor how to do surgery.

Too much book knowledge doesn't make one smart.

Yes, I don't know your question, so can we put an end to this madness now?
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by asamwababy: 4:04pm On Sep 30, 2018
Impressive CV, poor acknowledgement response etc.

At the end of the day, you all go for the English speaking ones with nothing upstairs.

Recently, the Head HR of one of the topmost old generation banks was complaining about the kind of recruits they get.

All this well spoken english and phonetics is just attracting some i repeat some wrong Lazy, rich set of kids who cant perform on the job.

Don't get me wrong, it good to speak well and write well but when it comes to the job your english is the least of my headache.

We have been long in this industry and seen all sorts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by sterlingD(m): 11:50pm On Oct 01, 2018
asamwababy:

At the end of the day, you all go for the English speaking ones with nothing upstairs.

Recently, the Head HR of one of the topmost old generation banks was complaining about the kind of recruits they get.

All this well spoken english and phonetics is just attracting some i repeat some wrong Lazy, rich set of kids who cant perform on the job.

Don't get me wrong, it good to speak well and write well but when it comes to the job your english is the least of my headache.

l would say HR should be pragmatic in their approach to recruitment.Seeing that the method they are using is not getting them the recruits who can do the jobs they should adopt a different method.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by EdoBoy90(m): 8:29pm On Oct 04, 2018
asamwababy:

I have one in my office now. He can speak the whole phonetics in the world but give him a sample to get something, he will bring the opposite of it.

In rating, guys who don't speak like him perform better. We know him very well. Funny part of it he doesn't want to learn.

One day he saw a gear box for Toyota Avanza, he was asking if it is a torque converter. A torque converter used in automatic to replace clutch is not exposed but gear box is exposed. Even the IT students under me can differentiate both.

This guy has spent three years now and with a mechanical engineering background.

1 Like

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by teepha: 11:23pm On Oct 04, 2018
I just came across this thread. It's educative. Op I have experience in customer service, administration if you have any openings please mention me.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Adortem: 1:35pm On Oct 05, 2018
Join our next HR Career Start-up training and be introduced into the HR Career, transitioning into the HR Career with ease.

Would you love to transition into the HR Career and don’t know how to go about it?

Come and learn the HR Functions, the Employment Opportunities in HR in Nigeria, How to develop your Career in HR, the Key Skills for HR Professionals and a lot more to transition with ease into your dream HR Career.

See full course details and sign up here: https://leadhire.com.ng/event/hr-career-start/
Email: training@leadhire.com.ng or call: 08139498477 for more details.

Limited Spaces Available
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 05, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:
Don't Enter The Interview Room First or Last

Don't ever dare this.

... Be Right Back

why
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by solelymade: 9:39pm On Oct 21, 2018
asamwababy:

I am wondering how a talk on someone with impressive CV with a bad acknowledgement mail generate a discussion about language proficiency
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by coolqayy(m): 9:34am On Jan 27, 2020
[quote author=Halifaxguy post=[/quote]
Please i need a laptop 2 practices & Broaden my web design & devlpt training , start a freelance work and do online payment when resume to sch so dat to fend for myself and pay school fee
Thanks in anticipation
Not necessary a new
God bless
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by oluwashedy: 2:08pm On Jan 27, 2020
Wonderful thread. Thanks op for the enlightenment.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Why Millions Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed — FG / Npower Recruitment 2017 Names Shortlisted candidates – www.Portal.npower.gov.ng / U.S. Embassy In Nigeria Job Recruitment (7 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.