Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,777 members, 7,810,025 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter - Jobs/Vacancies (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter (33574 Views)

What's The Most Insensitive Question(s) A Recruiter Has Ever Asked You? / My Experience As A Recruiter-chika Uwazie @chikauwazie / Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by EdoBoy90(m): 12:17pm On Aug 02, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

Boss, believe me it would be too risky for any of us to give out any info that would be tied back to us.

We will be filling some position for some oil servicing companies in SS in the first quarter, if I am assigned that task, I would create a thread and mention you.

I will tell you how to make your CV get personally to me. I will only do this for you and the first guy I told.

Once you guys pass the preliminary test, then we might work out something. I would do all these without you knowing me personally.

LaudableXX can you help explain more why we are protecting our identity?

Thanks OfficialAPCNig, Thanks Oga At The top. May God Bless you.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by henryugo(m): 1:01pm On Aug 02, 2018
Thank you so much at officialapcnge u really doing a great work,but my worry is about those companies seeking for at least 1 or two years of experience.How can we fresh graduates apply and how can we arrange our CV to meet the requirements?

2 Likes

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Imunose(f): 3:26pm On Aug 02, 2018
thank you so much OfficialAPCNig for taking time to share these information. I have learnt a lot already.

and still following smiley
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Pinkybush: 3:30pm On Aug 02, 2018
@OfficialAPCNig, I do appreciate what you are doing here. It shows you really want us to develop our different careers by knowing the right steps to follow. Please, I will really love to be among the people you would mention and follow-up as regard the oil servicing recruitment that is yet to be assign to your team, which I believe your team will handle the job. Thanks in advance.
Please check my previous post about 'signature'
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 4:53pm On Aug 02, 2018
Imunose:
thank you so much OfficialAPCNig for taking time to share these information. I have learnt a lot already.

and still following smiley
God bless you.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 5:12pm On Aug 02, 2018
henryugo:
Thank you so much at officialapcnge u really doing a great work,but my worry is about those companies seeking for at least 1 or two years of experience.How can we fresh graduates apply and how can we arrange our CV to meet the requirements?
You have your NYSC already.

That is why it is important to get yourself within the period you graduated and waiting for service.

For our entry positions, we don't specifically look at experience. It is just an added advantage.

In your Professional profile, indicate you are a fresh graduate.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 5:19pm On Aug 02, 2018
sexiestharam:

please is this email format correct?
Assuming my first name is abimbola and my surname is lawrence. Is ' alawrence2@gmail.com' professional enough?
Our software filters emails with single digit. It is spammy. Some recruiters would accept that but when they have over 10,000 applicants to select only 25 from, they might filter that too.

Alawrence21@gmail.com is acceptable to us. But if is for certain roles or replacement, we don't might.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 5:23pm On Aug 02, 2018
Pinkybush:
@OfficialAPCNig, I do appreciate what you are doing here. It shows you really want us to develop our different careers by knowing the right steps to follow. Please, I will really love to be among the people you would mention and follow-up as regard the oil servicing recruitment that is yet to be assign to your team, which I believe your team will handle the job. Thanks in advance.
Please check my previous post about 'signature'
You are a Geophysicist.

But the truth is there is no way I would grant your request without others asking. So I would prefer to stick with the two already.

I am sorry. Good luck.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 02, 2018
@OfficialAPCNig, thanks a lot for these educating bits of information. God bless you.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 5:30pm On Aug 02, 2018
Ruibii:
@OfficialAPCNig, thanks a lot for these educating bits of information. God bless you.
God bless you.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Fabulousb36(f): 5:30pm On Aug 02, 2018
LaudableXX:

Oh my lawd...I no fit laugh again! cheesy After talking about e-mail, he is now lamenting about fonts. Verdana11? What about Arial10? Or Trebuchet12? You this guy, you are a standard, pompous, illogical joker! grin

You guys should calm down and see if you can learn a thing or two. Venting wont change anything
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by badinfluence: 5:54pm On Aug 02, 2018
Fabulousb36:

You guys should calm down and see if you can learn a thing or two. Venting wont change anything
The thing is that most of these 'teachers' are mostly pompous. You can't use your personal preferences as a standard, there should be a disclaimer. Imagine how many people would adopt these teachings and still get turned down by other recruiters. When I was serving I know how many of these recruiters served us a pile of hot garbage.

1 Like

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 7:00pm On Aug 02, 2018
badinfluence:

The thing is that most of these 'teachers' are mostly pompous. You can't use your personal preferences as a standard, there should be a disclaimer. Imagine how many people would adopt these teachings and still get turned down by other recruiters. When I was serving I know how many of these recruiters served us a pile of hot garbage.
Please refer to the 1st page again.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 7:49pm On Aug 02, 2018
CV Format

Something happened some months ago, I was driving to work when a friend flagged me down and give me one CV to submit personally for him for an opening we were filling through placement.

I took the CV to the Lead of the team handling that recruitment, he told bluntly "xxxxxx, you know I can't accept this CV"

"I understand". I left her office.

The way it was presented is something if accepted, my friend would be standing before panel to defend.

Though there is no standard for CV, but it should look professional.

Here are few things you might try considering:

1. Avoid too much white spaces on your CV. Try using this spacing multiple and 1.15 to eliminate unnecessary white spaces.

2. Alignment: Justify

3. Font: Try Verdana size 11. There is something about that font that stands out. It is so catchy to the eyes.

Arial is too heavy and NewTimesRoman is generic.

3. For entry positions, a CV of 2-3 pages is perfect. Avoid 1 paged CV at all cost.

4. Try arranging your Name as Header 1, Address as (H2), phone number (H3) and Linkedin profile and email as (H4). Avoid putting your other social media url.

Please avoid this:

NAME: Lekan Idris

Address: 12 xxxx, Road, Zaria, Kaduna.

Phone Number: Bleep xxxx Bleep.

Email: LekanIdris@gmail.com

5: Your professional summary (profile) should come next. It should be specific to the position you are applying for.

If you are applying for as Accountant, make it specific to that. This is your first opportunity to sell yourself.

Keep it short.

Present it thus:

PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY

I am a bla bla bla.

6: Your personal profile should follow next. This is where your date of birth and others come.

PERSONAL PROFILE

Death of Birth:

Marital Status:

Please avoid religion and state of origin. Don't dare put nationality, unless you are not a Nigerian.

7. Present your working experience. Please don't tell us what what your roles were. I tell us what you achieved serving in those roles.

8. Your education just come next, then professional certifications and training if any.

9. Present your skills last. Some people present theirs first before working experience.

I don't like it. Even my colleagues don't. It feels as if you are trying to push something into our face.

10. Avoid listing your hobbies unless they are related to the position you are applying for.

11. Don't put your reference yet.

12. You don't have to be artistic. Just put it on white and black.

Like I said before, there is no standard format. Which ever format you choose, keep it simple and professional.

If you know the name of the recruiter, use it on the Cover letter.

5 Likes

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 8:05pm On Aug 02, 2018
4 Things To Do When Your Receive Your Invite
1. Acknowledge receipt and confirm if you would be available or not.

If you won't ask for reschedule but don't keep you hope high.

When acknowledging, personalise the email by using the name of the HR personal.

Good day Mr OfficialAPC.Nig,

Dear Mr OfficialAPC.Nig

2. Follow the person on all social media you can find him/her.

3. Connect and engage. Don't DM or tag him or her. It is spammy. Just like, share, retweet and favorite.

Shikina.

4. Call the number that came with the invite. Call him/her under the guise of asking for more info but use it tactfully to connect and bond.

Please only call during the office time.

This will water your ground. I am talking from experience.

10 Likes

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 8:07pm On Aug 02, 2018
Why should We Give You This Job
To be continued!!!
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by badinfluence: 9:24pm On Aug 02, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

Please refer to the 1st page again.
Nothing like refer, you've put up the same attitude you guys share.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by solelymade: 9:42pm On Aug 02, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

Dear Mr OfficialAPC.Nig

3. Connect and engage. Don't DM or tag him or her. It is spammy. Just like, share, retweet and favorite.

Shikina.

4. Call the number that came with the invite. Call him/her under the guise of asking for more info but use it tactfully to connect and bond.

God bless you real good, all this for free at no cost. Indeed, you're a blessing
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by EdoBoy90(m): 9:49pm On Aug 02, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:
CV Format

Something happened some months ago, I was driving to work when a friend flagged me down and give me one CV to submit personally for him for an opening we were filling through placement.

I took the CV to the Lead of the team handling that recruitment, he told bluntly "xxxxxx, you know I can't accept this CV"

"I understand". I left her office.

The way it was presented is something if accepted, my friend would be standing before panel to defend.

Though there is no standard for CV, but it should look professional.

Here are few things you might try considering:

1. Avoid too much white spaces on your CV. Try using this spacing multiple and 1.15 to eliminate unnecessary white spaces.

2. Alignment: Justify

3. Font: Try Verdana size 11. There is something about that font that stands out. It is so catchy to the eyes.

Arial is too heavy and NewTimesRoman is generic.

3. For entry positions, a CV of 2-3 pages is perfect. Avoid 1 paged CV at all cost.

4. Try arranging your Name as Header 1, Address as (H2), phone number (H3) and Linkedin profile and email as (H4). Avoid putting your other social media url.

Please avoid this:

NAME: Lekan Idris

Address: 12 xxxx, Road, Zaria, Kaduna.

Phone Number: Bleep xxxx Bleep.

Email: LekanIdris@gmail.com

5: Your professional summary (profile) should come next. It should be specific to the position you are applying for.

If you are applying for as Accountant, make it specific to that. This is your first opportunity to sell yourself.

Keep it short.

Present it thus:

PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY

I am a bla bla bla.

6: Your personal profile should follow next. This is where your date of birth and others come.

PERSONAL PROFILE

Death of Birth:

Marital Status:

Please avoid religion and state of origin. Don't dare put nationality, unless you are not a Nigerian.

7. Present your working experience. Please don't tell us what what your roles were. I tell us what you achieved serving in those roles.

8. Your education just come next, then professional certifications and training if any.

9. Present your skills last. Some people present theirs first before working experience.

I don't like it. Even my colleagues don't. It feels as if you are trying to push something into our face.

10. Avoid listing your hobbies unless they are related to the position you are applying for.

11. Don't put your reference yet.

12. You don't have to be artistic. Just put it on white and black.

Like I said before, there is no standard format. Which ever format you choose, keep it simple and professional.

If you know the name of the recruiter, use it on the Cover letter.

Sir, I was told that in Professional Summary or CV, it is not advisable to use personal pronoun like "I", "We" or "You". for instance

Professional Summary :

"I am an experienced mechanical engineer seeking a challenging position( name of the position) where my resourceful experience, technical skills and innovative ideas will add value in organisational operations. "

That it should be " An experienced mechanical engineer with over 3 years experience... "

Sir, how true is this? Explain Sir. Know fully well what is acceptable in A is not acceptable in B or vice versa.

Thanks and God bless you

1 Like

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by ofemigeorge(m): 9:01am On Aug 03, 2018
holuwakore:
ask him here, make we sef learn tongue
No its not about cv and stuff...its about my job presently, need advice on that
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Pinkybush: 11:18am On Aug 03, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

You are a Geophysicist.

But the truth is there is no way I would grant your request without others asking. So I would prefer to stick with the two already.

I am sorry. Good luck.
Thank you @OfficialAPC.Nig for the response. I'm not trying to detect what you should do for you, but please go with 3 of us incase 2 happens to make it to the final. Even if you don't accept officially here, but still have me in mind, lol. Thank you.
Secondly, is ezekielgeo12@gmail.com spammy?
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by EdoBoy90(m): 12:53pm On Aug 03, 2018
Sleyanya1:

Wow, thank you very much Sir. I have taken note of all you said and will be keenly anticipating your mention when you create the thread.

I really do appreciate alot, especially your timely response. God bless you.

I sent you a mail. Kindly reply me, let us chat.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Sleyanya1(m): 1:05pm On Aug 03, 2018
EdoBoy90:

I sent you a mail. Kindly reply me, let us chat.

Thanks

Good afternoon Sir.

Okay, Let me check my inbox and do that now.
Thanks
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by Ladybianca(f): 4:37pm On Aug 03, 2018
I would be an ingrate if I don't comment and thank the op for the wonderful work he is been doing in this thread, I have learnt a whole lot, no wonder I have not been getting invites, I have been doing the wrong things all this while, first I need to get a new mail, (because this is what my email looks like vivianijeoma339@yahoo.com) and then I will proceed and work on my CV, resume and how I send cover letters... Then I will also work on how I will be answering interview questions......thank you very much officialapcng may God bless you immensely...... I don't mind getting a mention from you when recruiting...still following

3 Likes

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by pomide(m): 10:44pm On Aug 03, 2018
LEGIT THREAD.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by LaudableXX: 12:14am On Aug 04, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:
Boss, believe me it would be too risky for any of us to give out any info that would be tied back to us.

We will be filling some position for some oil servicing companies in SS in the first quarter, if I am assigned that task, I would create a thread and mention you.

I will tell you how to make your CV get personally to me. I will only do this for you and the first guy I told.

Once you guys pass the preliminary test, then we might work out something. I would do all these without you knowing me personally.

LaudableXX can you help explain more why we are protecting our identity?
You said it in your first sentence - so that nothing can be traced back to us. Secondly, some of us have confidentiality agreements in place with our respective organisations. We don't want to be accused of any breaches. It is better to err on the side of caution. undecided
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by LaudableXX: 12:36am On Aug 04, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

Dear Mr OfficialAPC.Nig

3. Connect and engage.
Don't DM or tag him or her. It is spammy. Just like, share, retweet and favorite.

Shikina.

This is another area where I would disagree with you. sad Anyone who follows me on social media, with the hope of landing a job, or getting a favourable consideration of a CV submitted for a role, would just be wasting his time, and my time.

In fact, if I am able to link your account with your CV, and I see you are one of my followers, I will 'unfollow' you sharp-sharp, or get you to unfollow me. I have seen a case where allegations of favouritism or undue influence, were levied against a recruiter, because of such an issue. So to avoid such things, I do not encourage followers on social media, where user identity is known.

NL is not included, because everyone uses a moniker or username, so I guess that is okay. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by SHAMHOOD(m): 8:43am On Aug 04, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

Dear Mr OfficialAPC.Nig

Shikina.

Good day Mr officialAPC.Nig
I really appreciate your write ups and I gained a lot from it. I am a fresh graduate and just completed my NYSC last month. I have sent a lot of applications but no invite. I met all the criteria stipulated in your sample cv because after writing, I gave it to a professional to review. I am young sir(1994)
Why am I still not getting invite sir?
I am tired of sitting at home doing nothing.
I am a fast learner, able to multitask and adaptable.
I base in Lagos and willing to relocate. I am tired of sitting at home.
I need a job

2 Likes

Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 6:53pm On Aug 05, 2018
SHAMHOOD:

Good day Mr officialAPC.Nig
I really appreciate your write ups and I gained a lot from it. I am a fresh graduate and just completed my NYSC last month. I have sent a lot of applications but no invite. I met all the criteria stipulated in your sample cv because after writing, I gave it to a professional to review. I am young sir(1994)
Why am I still not getting invite sir?
I am tired of sitting at home doing nothing.
I am a fast learner, able to multitask and adaptable.
I base in Lagos and willing to relocate. I am tired of sitting at home.
I need a job
Do you track your CV?

If not, start doing that. Make sure you only apply for jobs you are qualified for.

What did you studied?
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 6:58pm On Aug 05, 2018
LaudableXX:

This is another area where I would disagree with you. sad Anyone who follows me on social media, with the hope of landing a job, or getting a favourable consideration of a CV submitted for a role, would just be wasting his time, and my time.

In fact, if I am able to link your account with your CV, and I see you are one of my followers, I will 'unfollow' you sharp-sharp, or get you to unfollow me. I have seen a case where allegations of favouritism or undue influence, were levied against a recruiter, because of such an issue. So to avoid such things, I do not encourage followers on social media, where user identity is known.

NL is not included, because everyone uses a moniker or username, so I guess that is okay. undecided
Lol.

How would you be able to link who followed you to their CVs if you have over 10,000 CVs to process?

It is not possible.

But during the interview the name might ring a bell. Bla bla engaged intelligently on my twitter and your interest would be piqued.
Re: Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter by OfficialAPCNig: 6:59pm On Aug 05, 2018
LaudableXX:

You said it in your first sentence - so that nothing can be traced back to us. Secondly, some of us have confidentiality agreements in place with our respective organisations. We don't want to be accused of any breaches. It is better to err on the side of caution. undecided
Thank you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

When Are We Going To Talk About These Lebanese And Chinese Companies / Hilton Worldwide FINESSE Graduate Finance Programme. / Gnld Network Marketing Opportunity Please Read!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.