Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,383 members, 7,815,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally (2236 Views)

Violence Breaks Out At APC Headquarters In Abuja / What Governor Amaechi Wore To A Campaign Rally Today / Jonathan Asks If Violence A Sign Of ‘end Times’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by CrazyMan(m): 2:07pm On Mar 28, 2007
1 Abstinence: If you don’t need to be at a campaign rally, simply avoid going there. Statistically speaking, the more rallies you attend, the more you are likely to be injured, robbed or even shot. The focus of security personnel at rally sites is usually the executives. Ordinary citizens are on their own.

2. Know your neighbours: While at the scene of a campaign rally, mind who you interact with. If you see some young men getting high on alcohol or drugs, you should avoid them immediately. Avoid danger as much as possible.

3. Take note of verbal clues: If your neighbours at a rally are loud, boisterous and threatening, don’t wave them off as area boys. You should interpret their verbal clues as threatening and leave their vicinity. Verbal violence is a prelude to physical violence. The British call it giving a dog a bad name to justify your hanging it.

4. Don’t be a peace maker: If a fight breaks out, don’t assume the role of a peace maker and try to separate the combatants. You should quickly leave the spot or even leave the rally site entirely. Your family needs you at home alive and well. The point here to note is that most persons injured or killed in public fights are usually not the intended victims.

5. Assume prone position: When shooting breaks out at a rally, duck your head until you reach a safe place, and then lie flat on the floor. The reason you can’t lie flat in the open is that persons might trample you to death. As we all know about the incident of January 2001 when about 1000 persons were trampled to death at the Oke-Afa carnal while fleeing from the Ikeja bomb blast.

6. Use parked car as cover: When Shooting breaks out; you may use any parked car as cover. Listen to the direction of the gunshot, and then duck behind a car in the opposite direction. If the shooting is from all sides, then crawl under the car.

7. Identify yourself: In the event of an outbreak of campaign violence, if the law enforcement agents approach you where you are taking cover, bring out your Identity card and raise it for them to see, then you announce I’m innocent. In a street level tactical situation, with the adrenaline pumping. Law enforcement personnel must make split “Shoot” or “don’t shoot” decisions. So you make it abundantly clear that you are innocent in order to avoid tragedy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by Razorr(f): 2:22pm On Mar 28, 2007
He who has an ear. . . lipsrsealed
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by Bolarge(m): 3:16pm On Mar 28, 2007
8. . . And don't forget to start confessing all your sins. . grin
   . . It may just be your last chance. grin
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by Razorr(f): 3:59pm On Mar 28, 2007
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by Bolarge(m): 4:05pm On Mar 28, 2007
What's with tha look?
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by fatliar(m): 4:09pm On Mar 28, 2007
i disagree with d last 1
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by Razorr(f): 4:17pm On Mar 28, 2007
Why?
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by 9ja4eva: 7:26pm On Mar 28, 2007
Thank God for Ona Eikhomu's column.Politicians are so busy to take words of advice into consideration.
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by CrazyMan(m): 8:05pm On Mar 28, 2007
The Idea is for everyone to get enlightened because the kind of violence we are experiencing now it's only by the grace of God if the country doesn't tear apart by may.
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by jaybaby(f): 8:11pm On Mar 28, 2007
God Should jus HELP US
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by nazzyon(m): 8:43pm On Mar 28, 2007
O boy! NO sweating. Just take a hike.
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by 9ja4eva: 9:14pm On Mar 28, 2007
I really want the elections to come and go so we live in peace abeg.
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by Drunk: 9:29pm On Mar 28, 2007
ReMaIn ARt dI Bar. yOU wILL nEvER kNoWs WOtS hAPun
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by 9ja4eva: 9:34pm On Mar 28, 2007
lol
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by aycd44(m): 10:33pm On Mar 28, 2007
Nice job there, i like people who like peace.
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by nazzyon(m): 10:43pm On Mar 28, 2007
2 of my friends escaped death yesterday @ a PDP campaign
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by Nobody: 8:06am On Mar 29, 2007
What will i even be doing at a campaign rally, i wont even be caught there.
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by 9ja4eva: 8:08am On Mar 29, 2007
Exactly its safe to be indoors watching dem campaign dn be present.Its nt safe.
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by cbaba: 2:22pm On Mar 29, 2007
Haba, what will i be doing at a rally.
me wey i no even register.
me wey i just get visa!

naija is really a funny place to live.
lets just all mend the bicycle and hope that our kids enjoy the ride
i laff everytime i hear nigerians talking about nigeria.
haahahahahahahaha. grin
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by funmeme(f): 5:38pm On Mar 29, 2007
(C-baba!) this is only an advice 4 all

It's obvious u are not proud of Nigeria but remeber home is home!

if anything happens where u are going "God forbid"

where will u return?

so get the fact that home is home and be ready 2 defend ur Home.

lol ! byeeeee
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by funmeme(f): 5:44pm On Mar 29, 2007

where will u return?

so get the fact that home is home and be ready 2 defend ur Home.

lol ! me self i no register oooo! but am a gud Nigerian cos am proud of ma home but u are not.
funmeme:

where will u return?

so get the fact that home is home and be ready 2 defend your Home.

lol ! byeeeee
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by Raymand(m): 7:37pm On Mar 29, 2007
Thanks for the info.
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by FBI477(m): 8:32pm On Mar 29, 2007
very good tips. but i do not agree with #6. in an event of sporadic shooting, a car is almost a give-away to death. did you forget the equation; bullet + fuel tank = explosion

if you love your life and you are not a political fanatic, just sit at home. at least, you can just go out and vote on the voting day. that is if you registered because if they ask me why i didn't register, i will tell them i was in ghana. so you will find me and Drunk chilling in the same beer parlour, drinking and discussing more important matters.

always remember, YOUR VOTE DOESN'T COUNT!

cool cool cool
IBB
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by texazzpete(m): 9:48am On Mar 30, 2007
anyone who says your vote doesn't count is a traitor!
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by akara(m): 11:18am On Mar 30, 2007
grin

Y bother go to a rally to hear lies and more lies and at the risk of ones life, Campaign rally in Nigeria are no fun places not wth the sun.

grin
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by joshO: 1:45pm On Mar 30, 2007
Stay at home. It's obvious that a majority of people at rallies are touts, paid supporters or no-gooders. It's a show of force that takes none of your interests into consideration. The looters you're there to support don't give a rat's ass about your security.

The ambulances + heavy security presence are there for their safey alone. Just attend an AC or PDP rally and see what I mean.

Be warned.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by CrazyMan(m): 7:39pm On Mar 30, 2007
Staying at home is also advisable.
But what of those just have to be part of the campaign?

About two days ago, there was serious violence at Lagos Island between supporters of Fashola and koro. so many people were injured.
Is this the kind of politics we're supposed to be experiencing?
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by tokuns(m): 7:59pm On Mar 30, 2007
one more advice if you are putting on a cloth of any of the aspirant. immediately you observe signs, take it off so as not to get yourself targeted by the area boys

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by 9ja4eva: 9:39pm On Mar 30, 2007
Huh na God save Mimiko too.I read dt up in some dailies.
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by agboifo(f): 4:43pm On Mar 31, 2007
If the situation wasn't serious, I would have said "crazykid" has seen too many movies!
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by Mamajama(m): 4:52pm On Mar 31, 2007
This election is like Y2K BUZZ nothing will happen. it will go on smoothly
Re: What To Do If Violence Breaks Out In A Campaign Rally by CrazyMan(m): 7:45pm On Mar 31, 2007
tokuns:

one more advice if you are putting on a cloth of any of the aspirant. immediately you observe signs, take it off so as not to get yourself targeted by the area boys
You're right, but it also depends on the parties cloth you're wearing.
Like in Lagos here, wearing an AC cloth, you're safe. smiley

But if it's other parties, Hmmmmmmmm.
you had better look for a body guard to avoid physical assult

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Arab Quest For Lebensraum In Africa And The Challenge To Pan Afrikanism / Do These Diasporic Nigerians Love D Country More Or Just Out To Rubbish It More? / Akwa Ibom In Disarray As Federal Govt. Arrests Akpaboios Personal Killing Squads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.