Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,228 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield (5731 Views)

See The England's National Team Players In Their New Official EURO 2016 Suits / Childhood Pictures Of Cr7, Messi, Rooney, Ronaldinho, Lampard And Many More / Gerard Pique: I’m Not One Of The World’s Best Defenders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by 9ja4eva: 7:25pm On Apr 12, 2007
I agree
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by danniecool(m): 8:06pm On Apr 12, 2007
it's ok
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by PDF: 11:52am On Apr 13, 2007
9ja4eva:

I agree

Gud boy
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by 9ja4eva: 3:17am On Apr 14, 2007
lol
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by danniecool(m): 9:24am On Apr 14, 2007
huh lipsrsealed
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 8:34am On Apr 16, 2007
PDF, for once you have disappointed me! angry
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 8:38am On Apr 16, 2007
English fans seem to have a very short memory!

They seem to forget that Lampard did very well under Sven-Goran Eriksson.

In 2004, he was crowned English Footbaler of the year by the same English fans!

Read This Article from thefa.com. It was posted on the 20th of January, 2005: -

[b]For the last month on TheFA.com, England fans have been voting in their thousands to have their say on which England star lifts the award.

The Chelsea midfielder has been the number one contender from the off, and finally romped home to a convincing win with 40% of all votes cast.

"This award means a lot to me," said Frank on being told the news this afternoon.

"I was surprised to hear I was in the lead because I was up against the likes of Wayne Rooney, but to win is great.

"It’s an honour to have fans up and down the country think that highly of me."

Indeed, across the whole world, Frank, with votes coming in from as far a field as Japan, Brazil and Singapore. And rightly so if statistics are anything to go by.  At the beginning of 2004, Frank was not a certain starter for Sven's men. However, his form, not only internationally but domestically, too, has seen him earn 13 caps, scoring six goals in the process and becoming a fans' favourite.

At Euro 2004, he forged a strong partnership with Steven Gerrard in the centre of midfield from where he found the net against France, Croatia and Portugal.  And in the World Cup qualifiers, he's carried on his striking exploits with goals away in Austria and against Wales at Old Trafford.

Though he didn't cast a vote himself, England Head Coach Sven-Goran Eriksson praised Frank for his achievement: "Congratulations to Frank, he's been playing brilliantly for England for a very long time.

He's played nearly all the games for Chelsea for over two years, and he is getting better and better.

"He defends well, he's a good tackler," added Sven.

He's good on the ball, passes well and scores goals. You can't ask for much more from a midfielder. He deserves it."

Frank will be presented with the award by one lucky voter, to be selected at random on Friday, when England take on Holland at Villa Park on Wednesday 9 February. He's the second man to win the honour after David Beckham a year ago, but will be the first to be handed the newly-designed trophy, which will be unveiled on the day of the game.[/b]

Source: - http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/01/EnglandPlayeroftheYear.htm
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 8:41am On Apr 16, 2007
This were the standings of the top five English players in 2005 posted by the same fans: -

The Final Standings - Top Five

Posn. Player
1. FRANK LAMPARD - 40%
England Player of the Year 2004
2. Wayne Rooney - 16%
3. Steven Gerrard - 9.8%
4. Ashley Cole - 9.4%
5. Shaun Wright-Phillips - 7%

Source: - http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/01/EnglandPlayeroftheYear.htm

Please note the massive gap between Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard!

This goes to show that Gerrard was no where near Frank Lampard in 2005!
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 8:45am On Apr 16, 2007
If anyone is still crazy enough to say"well, that was 2004", then eat this: -

England fans have been voting in their thousands over the last month and with the poll now closed we can reveal that Frank Lampard has taken the title of England Player of the Year 2005 for a second successive year.

[b]Frank's reputation as one of the best players in the world continues to grow and it shows just how much he has contributed to England's cause that he has taken the title for the second successive season.

His impressive year also saw him named runner-up in both the European and World Footballer of the Year awards.

England Head Coach Sven-Goran Eriksson was the first to congratulate the Chelsea midfielder: "I think that the fans must have had a very hard time choosing because we are lucky enough to have a number of really outstanding individuals players.

"But you can’t argue with their choice," he told TheFA.com on Wednesday afternoon.

"Frank has had an excellent football education both from his family and from West Ham and Chelsea. You can see that intelligence not only in the way he plays on the pitch but also when you talk to him tactically.

"He is one of the most improved players that I have seen in the last few years. He gets better and better all the time."

Sven added: "Above everything, though, Frank is a very good professional. He has been brilliant for us in 2005. He is a complete midfielder. Hopefully he will be as brilliant as he can for us in the summer! Congratulations to him."

Congratulations also go to Shirley Sandle from Beverley who has won our prize to present the award to Frank before England's friendly against Uruguay on 1 March.

The englandfans member was estactic when she heard the news: "I'm absolutely gob-smacked, I never thought in a million years I'd win, but I just wanted to vote and get behind Frank," she said.

"I'm a Liverpool fan and obviously Steven Gerrard has been brilliant, but, let's be honest, Frank was superb and he really deserves it for some great performances and important goals for England."

Chelsea supporters will also thank Frank for helping them win the League for the first time in 50 years and with the World Cup five months away, England fans will hope the former West Ham midfielder has another year to remember.[/b]

Source: -http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2006/02/And_the_winner_is.htm
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 8:49am On Apr 16, 2007
Please can anyone tell me where in history Gerrard has ever proven to be a better player than Lampard?

Records don't lie o!  grin   grin

Do you want me to dig up more facts?
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by t0kunb0(m): 9:05am On Apr 16, 2007
Razorr

unfortunatelt i av neva supportd d idea of weighing players fully based on facts, moreso it's almost imposibl 2 change ones love/hate for a player even where there are facts

facts or no facts, both players are extremely good for their respective fans, but not yet as effective for country.

remember: cannavaro is d present world footballer of d year & y?: he won d world cup

ronaldo was d world footballer of d yr in 2002 & y: he won d world cup & golden boot, even though he ddnt play any football that very year & b4
there are many more

no disrespect 2 d award nor players, but my point is, stats dont mean jack most especially cos d english press over-hype stats

personally gerrard is a better player than lampard. lampard scores more, gerrard plays more. i prefer paly more to score more

blues rules
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 9:10am On Apr 16, 2007
Tokunbo, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it was the fans, not the press, that gave those awards and made those ratings!  grin

Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 9:14am On Apr 16, 2007
And one more thing, I do not understand what you mean by "facts or no facts".

Facts are used to prove or disprove a particular case during an argument, so I believe the best way to settle this particular argument is with facts!

If you do not believe me, go and ask the supreme court judge! grin grin
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by t0kunb0(m): 9:21am On Apr 16, 2007
fans would go for a player who scores more obviously, not who's a better player
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 9:24am On Apr 16, 2007
Tokunbo, like I said, please make your posts based on facts and not on mere sentiments!

If you can't do that, please sharaaaaaaaaap! angry
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by t0kunb0(m): 9:29am On Apr 16, 2007
Sven sayin lampard is better than gerrard doesnt make lampard any better nor gerrard any worse, same goes for the hundred of thousands of english votin fan fanatic razorr inclusive cool undecided angry angry angry
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 9:31am On Apr 16, 2007
Like I said before, give me facts to prove that Gerrard is, or ever was, better than Lampard!

I don't want to believe that you have a coconut head.  undecided

Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by t0kunb0(m): 10:30am On Apr 16, 2007
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 10:41am On Apr 16, 2007
Honours
Frank Lampard

Club (West Ham, Chelsea):

UEFA Intertoto Cup (1999) (West Ham)
FA Premier Asia Cup (2003) (Chelsea)
FA Community Shield (2005) (Chelsea)
League Cup (2005) (Chelsea)
English Premier League (2004-05, 2005-06) (Chelsea)
Personal:

FIFA World Player of the Year runner-up (2005)
FWA Player of the Year (2004/2005)
European Footballer of the Year runner-up (2005)
PFA Player of the year (2005)
Most goals scored in a season by a midfielder (2005/2006)
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 10:44am On Apr 16, 2007
Mr. Tokunbo, please where was it written in that article that Gerrard is beter than Lampard?

I asked you to give me facts to prove that he is! Don't you understand English, or should I revert to speaking yoruba for you to understand me? angry
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by t0kunb0(m): 10:55am On Apr 16, 2007
i never said the article had facts proving lampard was better neither did the article prove otherwise . ur not been open in your arguments, there's no point arging wif u

scaling/weighing both players on form/goals scored makes no sense

is andy johnson/darren bent better than rudd cos dey had more goals in their r[b]espective[/b] seasons. is yakubu better than sheva cos he has more goals??

cos it's unproveable doesnt mean it aint true i rest my case

http://jesternix.net/pipermail/chelsea_jesternix.net/2005-November/014046.html
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 11:03am On Apr 16, 2007
Tokunbo, I must admit that you are a smart guy afterall, seeing how you have managed to sneek out of your claim that Gerrard is better!

Anyhow you want to look at it, Lampard is a better player anyday! Records don't lie!  grin   grin   grin
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 11:06am On Apr 16, 2007
t0kunb0:

[size=14pt]because it's unproveable doesnt mean it aint true[/size]

Sweetheart, that statement would never win a case even in the most shitty court on the planet!  grin   grin
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 11:26am On Apr 16, 2007
Oh, and one more thing. . .

The writer in that link you posted ended the article by saying that Lampard is better, so please next time, open your eyes before you post a link and avoid shooting yourself in the foot! grin grin
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by PDF: 12:13pm On Apr 16, 2007
@ razorr

u've gone past a fan of chelsea, u'r now a fanatic

who's the writer? show him to me and let me tell u i can write too.

be real gurl
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by wormedup(m): 1:06pm On Apr 16, 2007
t0kunb0,
FIFA world footballer awards has little to do with club football.
saying ronaldo and cannavaro didn;t play to win the title would leave one wondering if u ever watch world cup/country organized games !
still i don't get you shocked
t0kunb0:

i never said the article had facts proving lampard was better neither did the article prove otherwise . your not been open in your arguments, there's no point arging with u

scaling/weighing both players on form/goals scored makes no sense

is andy johnson/darren bent better than rudd because dey had more goals in their r[b]espective[/b] seasons. is yakubu better than sheva because he has more goals??

because it's unproveable doesnt mean it aint true i rest my case

http://jesternix.net/pipermail/chelsea_jesternix.net/2005-November/014046.html
how do u then decide who plays or not
" fact or no fact " : what in God's name are u on about
what would u be saying without facts ? i guess we should all assume u are silent.

Kit,
given that carragher is supposed to be included in central defense; u'd shed terry for rio
even if we are to conclude that frank has done zilch for the england team; he's been more rewarding to them than steve !

vieira,
we all know lamps, ballack and j. cole are all attacking midfields. yes. lamps and ballack r not hitting it off at full power but, they still play and make sense together.
ballack plays exactly the same role for germany as lamps does for chelsea; and steve for liverpool.

there's space for four in the midfield; if steve is so marvelous, why don't they keep lennon on the bench while he plays from the flank ?
steve was sulking cause he had to play from the flank and he sucked big time !
both steve and lamps are lost so far in the english squad right now.
best bet; keep them both on the bench(so they can learn), there are a lot of options in owen, jenas, dyer,stewart, lennon, cole, beckam, carrick, gareth and even SWP grin. steve looks better at the moment from club speculations,but we all know it's entirely different when it get to country level.
anyways, thats all english issues.
i hope they field lamps, steve, carrick and SWP if we have an encounter with them ! that should be classy tongue
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by marlet01(m): 8:29pm On Apr 16, 2007
well well well,
Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard should no longer be considered as automatic choices for England’s midfield. While their performances for their clubs are usually first rate that has never been the case when they play for England.

Frank Lampard in particular has had trouble in replicating his performances for Chelsea with England. Indeed, during last summer’s world cup they were both disappointing and with Owen Hargreaves arriving on the scene he should be given one of the central midfield positions and let Lampard and Gerrard fight it out for the other.

Great players play great when it really matters.

Neither Lampard nor Gerrard had good world cups but as we all know Owen Hargreaves was outstanding in the big matches and was the only England player to convert a penalty in the shoot-out with Portugal. He’s got what it takes to perform top class in important games as he showed at nineteen years old when he starred for Bayern Munich in the Champions league final against Valencia (2001).

McClaren, who I don’t expect to be around too long as England manager (he’s mediocre at best and was a typically political choice by the FA) must pick the players that produce for England.

In goal Paul Robinson has shown some weakness this season (and during the world cup) and Ben Foster - currently on loan at Watford from Manchetsr United - is probably our best in-form keeper right now and it would be good to see him get another chance in a game that matters.
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Hugoboi(m): 8:31pm On Apr 16, 2007
McClaren, who I don’t expect to be around too long as England manager (he’s mediocre at best and was a typically political choice by the FA) must pick the players that produce for England.

True story!!
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 8:33am On Apr 17, 2007
I sometimes laugh when some people say that Lampard is only better because he scores more goals than Gerrard. You guys just crack me up big time.

You seem to have a problem with your memories.

It is not just about scoring goals, but the quality of goals he has scored.

Lampard is known to have scored goals that reverberate in our memories for a very long time.

According to wikipedia - "Lampard is a central midfielder known for his powerful long-range shots and prolific goalscoring abilities from midfield".

How can anybody say Frank Lampard should be benched. A guy who was number two in the world in 2005. Second to Ronaldinho.

Have Gerrard or Hargreaves ever come this close?

Have any of those guys ever produced the type of goals Lampard has been known to produce?

Give the guy his due credit and stop bad-mouthing him for sentimental reasons.

England has had very bad managers and that is why he hasn't shined so well for England recently.

Why does he do so well under Jose Mourinho and flop under McLaren?

A good manager knows how to manage talent and produces a team formation that brings out the best in his players. McLaren can't do this.
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by opeemi1(m): 11:22am On Apr 17, 2007
Football is a Game.

A game were the players are cross examined by the quality they possess.

At First, I agree very much with the analysis of PDF at which Gerrard is a Great team Leader and playmaker than Lampard. No one is saying Gerrard is the best and Lampard is not, NO. Players have different qualitities that makes them stand out.

Gerrard is like 3 players in one playing Defensive, Midfield and Attacking positions when the time needs, he is currently one of the best playmaker still living. Lampard can never be that. Lampard is a good example of a CMF(Central Mid Fielder), which he plays it very superbly. He is very good at long range & short range shots not forgeting his ability to play Free kicks.

I will say there plays don't mix with each other easily in the English Squad(England), both are better shown off in there teams. I am a fan of both players. But the fact remains that Gerrard is a better team leader and playmaker than Lampard while Lampard is a better Goal scorer than Gerrard. And about the awards being giving to Lampard is because of what he is best good at(Goal Scoring).
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 11:45am On Apr 17, 2007
The most important thing in a football match is scoring goals!

You cannot bench Lampard for Gerrard or Hargreaves! That would be insanity! The guy is just too good!

It all comes down to the brilliance of the coach!

All England needs to do is employ a good coach and stop mixing politics with football!
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by opeemi1(m): 1:22pm On Apr 17, 2007
Football is a Sport like any other sport, we get entertained by what we see on field.

You said the most important thing is scoring goals(No doubts), but was it goal scoring that made Ronaldinho the best footballer in the world twice?

For the record, throughout his(Gerrard) career he has won the PFA Young Player of the Year, PFA Player of the Year, European Midfielder of the year, Premier League Most Valuable Player (twice), and UEFA Most Valuable Player. He has also been awarded the MBE for his outstanding contributions in both the 2005 UEFA Champions League Final and the 2006 FA Cup Final in which he greatly inspired his team's comeback.

He lead his team into winning;

2006-07 Community Shield
2005-06 FA Cup
2004-05 UEFA Champions' League
2002-03 League Cup
2001-02 European Super Cup
2001-02 Charity Shield
2000-01 UEFA Cup
2000-01 FA Cup
2000-01 League Cup

And Runner up;

2005 FIFA Club World Championship
2004-05 League Cup
2002-03 Charity Shield
2001-02 FA Premier League (Level 1)

Goes to show you that he(Gerrard) is a Great Team Leader.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Hottest Wives/girlfriends Of Football Stars / Virtual Football Tipster. / The Nigerian Striker Endurance Edaho Died Today :(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.