Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,820 members, 7,817,395 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield (5732 Views)

See The England's National Team Players In Their New Official EURO 2016 Suits / Childhood Pictures Of Cr7, Messi, Rooney, Ronaldinho, Lampard And Many More / Gerard Pique: I’m Not One Of The World’s Best Defenders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 1:32pm On Apr 17, 2007
We are not asking about who the better 'team leader' is!

The question here is 'who is the best overall player?'

The answer is Frank Lampard.
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by RuuDie(m): 1:35pm On Apr 17, 2007
God bless u Ope emi
Football is a Game. A game were the players are cross examined by the quality they possess.

u hit d nail dead-pan on d head ! this is why a Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Joey Barton, Scot Parker etc. can never be put in the same class as folks like Zidane, Ronaldinho, M/B Laudrup, Dunga, Pirlo, kaka, Figo, Aboutraika etc - it's all about how well u play that round leather not how many times u hit it into d stands.

Gerrard is like 3 players in one playing Defensive, Midfield and Attacking positions when the time needs
- he even played right full back in the Champions ligue final against Milan!

Razorr:
UEFA Intertoto Cup (1999) (West Ham)
FA Premier Asia Cup (2003) (Chelsea)
FA Community Shield (2005) (Chelsea)
League Cup (2005) (Chelsea)
English Premier League (2004-05, 2005-06) (Chelsea)
i'm sure Lamps didn't win all these playin on his own or did he?

since u're so into records/facts/whatever u wanna call 'em - here's some of Stevie G's. weigh with ur Lampie's

2007 Received a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) on the Queen's New Year's Honour List
2006 Number 2 in LiverpoolFC.tv's Players Who Shook The Kop
2006 PFA Player of the Year
2004–05 UEFA Champions' League Most Valuable Player
2001 PFA Young Player of the Year
Liverpool's All-time leading goalscorer in the European Cup (current total is 15)[19]
His goal against Manchester United in 2001 has been voted the greatest goal ever by a Liverpool Player in the English Premier League.

and here's a lil' article on d man himself from Wikipedia - which i wanna believe u're very familiar with!

Steven George Gerrard MBE[1][2][3][4] (IPA: ['dʒærɑːd]) (born 30 May 1980, Whiston, Merseyside) is an English football player. He is the captain of Liverpool, where he wears the number 8 shirt. He is the England vice captain, for which he wears the number 4. An extremely versatile midfielder famous for his stinging long-range shots and wily defence-splitting passes, he is usually employed in the commanding "box-to-box" midfield role, although he has often been deployed as a right-sided midfielder, and occasionally as a second striker. Throughout his career he has won the PFA Young Player of the Year, PFA Player of the Year, European Midfielder of the year, Premier League Most Valuable Player (twice), and UEFA Most Valuable Player. He has also been awarded the MBE for his outstanding contributions in both the 2005 UEFA Champions League Final and the 2006 FA Cup Final in which he greatly inspired his team's comeback.

and u can bash McClaren all u want but d fact still stands that Lampie, at the moment, isn't playin well in d 3 lions shirt, so he should take a break!

Ooh, lest i 4get; here's link 2 Stevie G on Wikipedia - in case u need 2 go drool over d gorgeous young, talented midfielder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_gerrard
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 1:50pm On Apr 17, 2007
Ruudie, I wonder what your purpose is for starting this thread if you are going to bring sentimental opinions into your analysis instead of addressing issues in a matured manner.

I took offence to people saying that Lampard should be benched for Hargreaves or Gerrard not because he plays for Chelsea, but because he is more valuable to the team than both of those players in terms of skill.

In the case of England, they do not need a multi-functional player since they already have other very good players for the other parts of the field. Hence they do not need Gerrard to play as both a defender, attacker, e.t.c.

Each player should have his role and focus on it properly. It is left for the coach to define their individual roles.

These roles are blended together to provide over-all team work.

The reason why Gerrard performs a multi-functional role in Liverpool is because of his status and the fact that they are not blessed with super skillful players all round. He has to do what he does because he doesn't have a choice.

England definitely needs a new coach. I would have offered them Jose Mourinho, but I know that they are racist idiots and would insist on an English coach. Beside, Mourinho is too valuable to me, hence I can't let him go.
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by opeemi1(m): 1:54pm On Apr 17, 2007
Razorr:

We are not asking about who the better 'team leader' is!

The question here is 'who is the best overall player?'

The answer is Frank Lampard.

If I am not mistaken, the topic says: 'Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield'

And we are giving the analysis of both players.

I don't know were you got your question from?  undecided It would be better you start another topic and ask your question.
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by RuuDie(m): 2:02pm On Apr 17, 2007
@ Ope emi - God bless u again!

@ Razorr - well, lets just say we're comparing both players & try 2 figure who should "bench" for d other 'cos they just cannot live with each other. clearer now?
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 2:10pm On Apr 17, 2007
And I have said that you don't need to bench anyone!

Let Lampard play in an attacking midfield role and let Gerrard play more in the Central midfield like what happens in Chelsea with Ballack and Lampard!

Kapish! I can't shout! angry
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by loyika(m): 2:31pm On Apr 17, 2007
Why do folks like dancing around issues

Whether the question is "Who is the best", has nothing to do with it. Call a spade a spade.

All Sentiments aside, listen;

Who is a better midfielder (with or with out goals) : GERRARD

Who would be the Captain if it wasn't given to John Terry : GERRARD

Who has had a better career in an England jersey : GERRARD

If there was a choice right now btw them on who the fans would want on the pitch ahead of the other, the  choice would 9 times out of 10 be : GERRARD

WHO is a better all round footballer : GERRARD

Sentiments aside who would everyone rather have in their teams : GERRARD

Who is a better leader on and off the pitch : GERRARD

Why are we having this unnessary arguement : LAMPARD

Even in Spain, Arragones tries not to play a midfield of Xavi, Alonso and Cesc, that would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Like i mentioned once, Razorr, even in France, Viera had to curtail his game because of Zizou, cause you can't have 2 midfield Generals on the Pitch. And when ever they both played, Patrick V always knew that Zidane was the boss, no matter what his form was like at club level, when they wore the National Jersey, ZIDANE CONTROLLED THE MIDFIELD.

So unless Lamps holds his ego to allow Gerrard control the midfield for England, they can't work together on a regular basis that would be of benefit to Englands performance.

And please this is no Anti-Chelsea stuff, cause any defense would want John Terry, and most coaches wouldn't mind Drogba in their team, well  grin or who wouldn't want Cech in goal. So lets leave club allegience. like i said, 9 out of 10 National coaches would pick Gerrard ahead of Lamps everytime, cause he has more to offer in Midfield than Lamps does.

cool GOONER 89
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by loyika(m): 2:34pm On Apr 17, 2007
OK RAZORR

where will you play Owen H, In short Razorr give us your England midfield lets see how it looks like

cool GOONER 89
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 2:40pm On Apr 17, 2007
Not so fast Loyika. . . Not so fast!

First tell me on what basis you are making your claims! angry

What makes Gerrard a better player?

Please sir, I need facts and figures! grin grin
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by loyika(m): 2:50pm On Apr 17, 2007
Razorr

just give me the England midfield you would play. Let us look at how it would look like, cause the Midfield with both players ain't working, so lets see how you will acommodate them.

For this moment you take the Role of Steve Razorr,

Midfield please

cool GOONER 89
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 2:54pm On Apr 17, 2007
I have told you this a million times. I would field both players.

Gerrard in central midfield and Lampard would play in Ballacks position in Chelsea. Like he played on sunday! In an attacking capacity!

What more do you want to hear? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!  angry
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by loyika(m): 3:07pm On Apr 17, 2007
So you would curtail Gerrards natural instincts to go forward to compensate Fat Frank what i want from you is a full midfield.

Like this

Lennon Scholes Gerrard J Cole

OR

J Cole Carrick Owen H Lamps Gerrard

Something like that; Give me your midfield of 4 or 5 players that would accomodate both so i can see how your analysis fits that midfield.

cool GOONER 89
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 3:11pm On Apr 17, 2007
Loyika, stop being overly dramatic.

I do not claim to be an 'I.T.K.'!

If Jose Mourinho could do it perfectly in Chelsea, then why can't McLaren do it?

The answer to that question is quite simple, he is a shitty coach! grin grin
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 3:13pm On Apr 17, 2007
Lampard should play in front of Gerrard!

Since Gerrard is so 'mature' like you guys like to say, then he should be willing to accomodate that. Like Ballack in chelsea! He should support Lampard, and Lampard can keep shooting and scoring! grin
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 3:21pm On Apr 17, 2007
By the way, let's drop this matter till next week, when the two players tackle each other!

We would decide then who is better.

Chelsea is Playing against Liverpool next week wednesday at 7:45 pm.

We can compare both players based on how they fare in their respective midfields and make our analysis!

No shaking!  grin   grin
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by loyika(m): 3:31pm On Apr 17, 2007
That arguement doesn't hold water,

Riqueleme was the best Midfielder on show both home and away when Villareal played Arsenal, but who Won and eventually went through to the Finals

Anyway, i leave this arguement, getting boring LETS WAIT FOR THE GAME

cool GOONER 89
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by t0kunb0(m): 3:34pm On Apr 17, 2007
God forbid ooooooooo if liverpool go into the final, is gerrard better??

no strings attached
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 3:45pm On Apr 17, 2007
t0kunb0:

God forbid ooooooooo if liverpool go into the final, is gerrard better??

no strings attached

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Liverpool won't win! grin grin grin

Lampard is better than Gerrard! grin grin grin
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by wormedup(m): 3:59pm On Apr 17, 2007
loyika,

a better career in england national team gerrard ? how

frank has had a better outing with the english team than gerrard. surely that is quite clear.

Ope / Ruudie,

if u guys accord all those credits to gerrard, that simply means benitez is a bum on the bench !
u guys want to clearify ?
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by RuuDie(m): 6:04pm On Apr 17, 2007
benitez a bum? don't even go there!
the man is simply being creative with his team - when u've got a player who can fit into so many positions on d field, u can afford 2 play him outta position 2 accomodate some1 else & that's what Benitez is doing; how do u think he's managed 2 find a place 4 Mascherano in L'pool's congested m/f?

@Razorr, u insist that both these guys can play in d English team - i do not disagree, but it'll be to d detriment of d team in d long run, not when u have a natural defensive m/f on dat same team; why take d risk?
Man Utd plays without a recognised defensive m/f; well so far so good 4 'em - d reason why they have succeeded thus far is they play a kind of Mass defense game where a lot of bodies fall behind d ball when d opposition is on d offense & they rely on d pace of Saha, giggs, rooney & ronaldo 4 attacks. but if u observe closely, that m/f is as loose as sandy soil & they always struggle against decent sides!
my point is dis; d balance of a team is vital 2 its success! with Lamps & G, d balance in m/f is just not right - that's where Owen H. comes in, so smbody's gotta bench - on current form, Lamps is it!
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by opeemi1(m): 10:15pm On Apr 18, 2007
@ Razorr

I hope you see(Today's Match against Middlesbrough) why Gerrard is everything a team needs.

cool
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Razorr(f): 11:02am On Apr 19, 2007
Sweetheart, Gerro has just scored his 11th goal, whereas Lampard has scored much more! grin grin
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by opeemi1(m): 12:53pm On Apr 19, 2007
Honey, how many as Lamps scored? shocked cool
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by danniecool(m): 1:33pm On Apr 19, 2007
lampard has scored 21 goals this season

11 premiership goals
6 FA Cup goals
3 Carling Cup goals
1 UCL goal

Lampard is the best
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by 9ja4eva: 8:15am On Apr 20, 2007
Gerrard tops for me.
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by georgies(m): 8:39am On Apr 20, 2007
There`s no crime in coming from the bench.
Everybody must not start.
That you start in your club does not mean u should start
4 the national team.
I think Gerrard should start with owen
One is attack minded,the other is defence minded.
It sure will blend.
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by PDF: 11:15pm On Apr 20, 2007
@ razorr

u r so obsessed dt u have to use expletives against people here. Remember this is a forum and not a riot.

After reading ope_emi's post, all u eventually have to say is Football is all about scoring goals. Football is only about scoring goals and winning if we are only talking abt a match. Tell me how many goals did cannavaro score to win the world's best?

If I begin to dig like u think u have dug, I'll also emerge with a plethora of Gerrard's achievement. Maybe the only differing factor might be the goal difference grin, like wut man u and chelsea might end up with, just kidding anyway.

But abeg, as central midfielders, which the thread is all about, Gerrard is conspicuously, blatantly, obviously, unarguably better.

Maybe anoda thread shld be posted as to who the better scorer is, then u can be happy that Lampard will win.
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by PDF: 11:25pm On Apr 20, 2007
By the way, even after watching, Liverpool - Chelsea, that won't be enuff to affirm the better player, in fact not at all by who wins. gerrard for liverpool havent really been playing in the central midfield (if u've been watching liverpool's match) cos of the likes of mascherano, alonso, sissoko, or would i say because of benitez's options.

Gerrard is a better Midfield General grin
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Nobody: 3:30am On Apr 21, 2007
Is Gerard good? No but he can run like a headless chicken and shoot!
Lampard any better? No way, he walks lazily around the pitch doing what the Nigerian police will be doing at tomorrow's elections - shoot on sight!
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by 9ja4eva: 6:34am On Apr 22, 2007
LOL

True
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by Nobody: 6:48am On Apr 22, 2007
If Gerard was a midfield general why does Benitez play him on the right?
Re: Lampard, Gerard And The England Midfield by 9ja4eva: 8:40am On Apr 22, 2007
I dont know what his reasons are bt i tink its cause he can play dt position too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Hottest Wives/girlfriends Of Football Stars / The Nigerian Striker Endurance Edaho Died Today :( / Messi Chose The Best Player That He’s Seen And It Is Not Ronaldinho Or Maradona

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.