Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan (3396 Views)

Understanding The Gang Up Against Akanu Ibiam Intl Airport Enugu / APC Is A Gang-up - Ekweremadu (Deputy Senate President) / The Gang-up Against Emeagwali Is Ethnically Motivated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jun 19, 2010
presido1:

If GJ is not in agreement with the zoning why did he replace Ogbulafor(Igbo Man) with Nwodo(another Igbo Man). Is it that he is in agreement with the zoning of PDP president but not the Nigerian president under PDP. This is the problem we have in Nigeria, if anything favours you that thing become right irrespective of the fact that is wrong. Those of you saying he should contest just ask yourselves if GJ will ever smell Aso Rock if not by zoning system.

One thing i like in this is that it might fast forward the disintegration or regionalisaztion of Nigeria which favours everybody.

people are confusing zoning or rotational Presidency and Power sharing or ballance of power to reflect Federal Character.

If we want rotational presidency lets just write it into the Nigerian constitution through the NASS. otherwise for now it does not exist. It is simply an illussion.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 5:37pm On Jun 19, 2010
presido1:

Those of you saying he should contest just ask yourselves if GJ will ever smell Aso Rock if not by zoning system.

One thing i like in this is that it might fast forward the disintegration or regionalisaztion of Nigeria which favours everybody.

NOt in a million years, but thanks to Zoning, he is where he is today. And by zoning, He selected a VP.

To anyone who wants to learn of the zoning arrangement, which seems to be beyond PDP, in that it also seems to apply in other parties

http://www.westafricareview.com/issue5/akinyele.htm
http://web.ccsu.edu/afstudy/upd11-4.html#The%202003%20Elections%20in%20Nigeria

presido1:

This is the problem we have in Nigeria, if anything favours you that thing become right irrespective of the fact that is wrong.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/democracy-africa_democracy/nigeria_3177.jsp
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Seun(m): 5:55pm On Jun 19, 2010
Source?
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by presido1: 6:03pm On Jun 19, 2010
mikeansy:

people are confusing zoning or rotational Presidency and Power sharing or ballance of power to reflect Federal Character.
If we want rotational presidency lets just write it into the Nigerian constitution through the NASS. otherwise for now it does not exist. It is simply an illussion.
What is the diff btw zoning and rotational presidency? Ok if GJ happens to win come 2011 where will the senate president come from?. You are guys is support cuz he is from the south, if he is from the north everybody will be shout blue murder. PDP agreed to zone/rotate their presidency and other top positions in their party, it might be wrong but since all or majority of them are in agreement, the agreement should be respected by them. If you feel its not right you are free to join any other party. The agreement has nothing to do with Nigerian constitution as far as it did not go against it and NASS has nothing to do with it as it comprises of non PDP menbers. GJ should respect the agreement that brought him to power or he move to another party.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jun 19, 2010
but the problem is that even the PDP had never respected it. Abubakar Rimi in 1999, Barnabas Gemade in 2003, Rochas Okorocha in 2007. all took part in PDP primaries and their votes were counted.

If we want to sustain zoning let us have it written in the constitution with clear modalities on who should take turns when.

That way there will be no confusion.

If we cant have it written in our constitution then it is not good enough and should be discarded entirely.

Presido ignore this people. With the way Zoning is right now, when it gets to the turn of South East the goal post will shift. So I will not like to expose myself to being used and dumped. If we want to continue zoning let it be the law. otherwise let it not exist at all let all man contest now and see what happens.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 6:14pm On Jun 19, 2010
mikeansy:

but the problem is that even the PDP had never respected it. Abubakar Rimi in 1999, Barnabas Gemade in 2003, Rochas Okorocha in 2007. all took part in PDP primaries and their votes were counted.

Kobojunkie:

It is sort of been my understanding that[size=13pt] in order to be seen as democratic in their selection process, the PDP would, after secretly sealing their PDP presidential candidate of choice from the selected region, put together a list of PDP candidates from other regions to put on a show for the Nigerian people. The PDP PUBLIC selection process would be rigged in such a way that the already sealed PDP winner comes out victories at the PDP PUBLIC SHOW, giving the Nigerian people another reason to go party and do OWAMBEs , while they also use the chance to introduce the PDP selection to the PUBLIC. [/size]
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by debeginin(m): 10:00pm On Jun 19, 2010
We have North West,North East and North Central,but it has always been the North West.Now it is no more for North Westerners.If there must be any rotational rubbish,then it should go to the North East or North Central,otherwise it will be a case of "back to your Tent o Israel".
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Nobody: 12:47am On Jun 20, 2010
I think you have proven your case mikeansy, the likes of rimi, gemade and co contested an election that was already zoned,and their votes were counted without all this hulabaloo, I wonder why this so called northern interest feel so threatened,as much as calling for goodluck to step down. if you feel you are good enough contest with him. as for kobo whatever? Ever heard of "I too know"? E dey kill. What a long list of names of failures that have led nigeria down the drain for the past 50 years. Shior!!
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by nduchucks: 2:20am On Jun 20, 2010
@Naijaking,

I think we can safely conclude that you are not a card carrying member of the PDP, and if you are, you should be expelled from the party. As stated by Dede1 and agreed to by Sapeleguy, the PDP gentleman's agreement should be honoured - its the right thing to do, QED.

Now, you of all people, who have lived abroad and seen how democracy works, should understand that it is part of the democratic process for groups who share common interests to rally arround any candidate of their choice. It is healthy for the so-called Northern elders/leaders to rally arround their candidate of choice or oppose him/her as they deem fit.

You and others who do not like it, can do the exact same thing!  Besides, why are you people giving yourselves severe stress over issues that do not concern you - most of you do not even belong to the PDP.

Go and form a mega party and oppose the PDP!! I'm tired of your excuses already. Pretty soon you will blame the Northerners' divide and rule tactics for causing your failure and inability to form an effective opposition party.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by sjeezy8: 5:34pm On Jun 20, 2010
gadogado:

Nigerians are so short sighted, southerners are now claiming that zoning is unconstitutional ans should be done away with when in actual fact, zoning benefits northerners more. All because they want Jonathan for one single term! Now lets explore a few eye opening facts:

1) If zoning is done away with as some are clamoring for, Anybody from whatever zone will be able to run, good and fine but one should consider that the north has a larger population than the south, geographically, they dominate Nigeria.
2) They also have one clear homogeneous dominant ethnic group "hausa-fulani" that is able to have the entire northern region of Nigeria act as one bloc, In other words, they are more unified!
3) The south has two or three large groups that typically have conflicting interests and cannot act as one bloc.
4) The north, in the absence of a zoning system will always win presidential elections in Nigeria if they rally their region behind a consensus candidate
5) Nigerians are not politically mature enough to vote for a president based on character and merit alone, politics of religion and tribe will for now be a major factor in presidential elections
6) As such, the south has more to lose in the long term if zoning is done away with. The popular adage "be careful what you wish for" epitomizes our current predicament
7) Do away with zoning now, suffer more political domination in the future, its as simple as that! Nigeria will never ever break up unless the north wants it to break, the north politically speaking is an entrenched institution in Nigeria, the sooner you realize that, the better!!

You are VERY WRONG- because after the norths turn is over they will dump zoning.

As we see it now- look at the SW after Obj's PDP era, slowly states are going more towards AC or LB and not PDP.

After the norths turn is over- Northern states regardless of political party will start turning to regional parties.

You should stop being short sighted. because PDP having a southern presidential candidate doesnt guarantee that the southern presidential candidate will win votes in the north without rigging.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by sjeezy8: 5:44pm On Jun 20, 2010
PDP doesnt change the way common people feel about voting for someone outside their ethnicity.

Thats not even a nigerian thing it all over the world. Whites in general vote for whites and blacks generally vote for blacks etc. . .

If fashola runs for president Im sure in a free and fair election the Whole SW (possibly beyond) will vote for Fash over a northerner or Jonathan.

If Donald duke runs for president Im sure he will atleast win calabar/efik-ibibio votes.

Regardless of PDP zoning. A pdp candidate cannot win votes outside region without rigging - Period.

No one voted for yaradua he was rigged in because of Zoning.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by naijaking1: 5:15am On Jun 21, 2010
ndu_chucks:

@Naijaking,

I think we can safely conclude that you are not a card carrying member of the PDP, and if you are, you should be expelled from the party. As stated by Dede1 and agreed to by Sapeleguy, the PDP gentleman's agreement should be honoured - its the right thing to do, QED.

Now, you of all people, who have lived abroad and seen how democracy works, should understand that it is part of the democratic process for groups who share common interests to rally arround any candidate of their choice. It is healthy for the so-called Northern elders/leaders to rally arround their candidate of choice or oppose him/her as they deem fit.

You and others who do not like it, can do the exact same thing!  Besides, why are you people giving yourselves severe stress over issues that do not concern you - most of you do not even belong to the PDP.

Go and form a mega party and oppose the PDP!! I'm tired of your excuses already. Pretty soon you will blame the Northerners' divide and rule tactics for causing your failure and inability to form an effective opposition party.

How fair is that governors and politicians from the north will routinely and triumphantly gather around anytime they like and discuss ways of protecting northern interest, but those of the formers eastern Nigeria or even those of the former western Nigeria are not allowed to meet and protect southern interest?
And please don't ask me to show you evidence that governors of the south are not allowed to meet; we've been through a couple of times.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 5:36am On Jun 21, 2010
naijaking1:

but those of the formers eastern Nigeria or even those of the former western Nigeria are not allowed to meet and protect southern interest?

And please don't ask me to show you evidence that governors of the south are not allowed to meet; we've been through a couple of times.
Southern governors and politicians are barred from meeting in similar manner as the North in this case? Ofourse we need evidence of this.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by naijaking1: 4:03am On Jun 22, 2010
^^^
how many times have you heard " 17 southern governor meet in Enugu or Ibadan to delibrate on southern interest?"
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Remii(m): 4:20am On Jun 22, 2010
naijaking1:

^^^
how many times have you heard " 17 southern governor meet in Enugu or Ibadan to delibrate on southern interest?"

Odua Investments belong to former Western region states and the governors do meet, similarly moribund ACB and others belonged to Eastern Region and those governors used to meet until there is nothing to meet over again, same for Paboard Industries for Rivers and Bayelsa.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 4:37am On Jun 22, 2010
naijaking1:

^^^

So, rather than inquire, you choose to MAKE UP CLAIMS instead? I am still waiting to read examples of actual situations where Southern governors and politicians were barred from meeting in similar manner as you claim.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Dede1(m): 9:48am On Jun 22, 2010
Nobody barred anybody from meeting for political consultations. However, political dynamism does not exist among the southern Nigerians stemming from the indelible breach of trust over the Nigeria/Biafra civil war.

Believe it or not, Nigeria-Biafra civil war still reechoes sense of apprehension among northern Nigerians. In addition, you should remember the golden geese that lay the golden eggs in Nigeria are still alive in southern Nigeria.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 5:17pm On Jun 22, 2010
@NaijaKing1, I am still waiting for evidence to support the claims you have made against the North here.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by seanet02: 5:51pm On Jun 22, 2010
@kobojunkie, you have always been against anything from the south, even you supported that he goat called yerima, forget your lame zoning, where were you when the was passing batons in the presidency among themselves using the military, the north is the architect of all mess Nigeria is in now, it is only your emirs over there that support radicalism without reasoning, let me remind you that the north contributes less than 15% of the nations gdp, income, exports and yet remains the highest spending zone when it comes to allocation, yet there is nothing to show for this. What do you mean when you said zoning when people like buhari,gemade and rimi where contesting in the previous elections, will they north have said they should not be sweared in if inec has declared them winners of those elections because there is zoning? Why cant you people them tell them not to contest because of zoning, if the north tries anything silly with jonathan, be prepared for the burial of Nigeria, and if that happens, your faculty of thinking tells you who will suffer most between the south and the north, your answer is as good as mine if you are a literate and educated somebody and not an illiterate who knows nothing but to rear cattle.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by naijaking1: 10:52pm On Jun 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

So, rather than inquire, you choose to MAKE UP CLAIMS instead? I am still waiting to read examples of actual situations where Southern governors and politicians were barred from meeting in similar manner as you claim.

Kobojunkie:

@NaijaKing1, I am still waiting for evidence to support the claims you have made against the North here.

I will post the thread as I said previously. We have gone through this issue with northerners like you and ndu-chucks many many times in the past, but for the sake continuity, and to show that you in particular has refused to be informed, I shall post threads to show that when Tinibu, Duke, and Udenwa were supposed to continue the second leg of their southern governors meeting scheduled for Enugu they were "discouraged" by higher authorities.

You can argue all you want that northern governors have assets and liabilities to discuss, therefore the need for them to gang up on the rest of the country, but nobody has ever said that assets and liabilities of the old northern Nigeria was all they discuss. Subsequently, whether governors from the south have mutual assets or not they must be allowed freedom of association as obtains in the north.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by udezue(m): 2:43am On Jun 23, 2010
Its our duty regardless of ethnic affiliation in the East and South back JG up. He is one of us.

Jide ka iji.

Ezeuche nwannem onye Aro. Obulu na i nwe fesbuk ma gi achom' k'anyi bulu enyi na ebe afu. Avam za dez. Ifu onye obuna ava ya bu dez ma nwekwa ofong obuekwe obu mu nwa. Ngwa odi gi mma ghu eme kam kwuru wenne.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 2:47am On Jun 23, 2010
naijaking1:

You can argue all you want that northern governors have assets and liabilities to discuss, therefore the need for them to gang up on the rest of the country, but nobody has ever said that assets and liabilities of the old northern Nigeria was all they discuss. Subsequently, whether governors from the south have mutual assets or not they must be allowed freedom of association as obtains in the north.

Can you prove they do not currently have this freedom which you claim they do not? That is the issue here and I wait to actually see you post this evidence.
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by tedbundy: 2:57am On Jun 23, 2010
$500 says Nigeria will witness a bloody coup before the middle of 2011!
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by lafile(m): 12:19pm On Jun 23, 2010
How come NOBODY has been able to answer Kobojunkie in this thread? Is he the only one thinking clearly? Has he said anything so far that is a lie? Why do we keep inputing our pre-concieved notions into events and claiming them to be fact? Why can't anybody see thw obvious?
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by koolboi(m): 12:36pm On Jun 23, 2010
even the yoruba are in support of gj
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by MURTALA555: 4:39pm On Jun 23, 2010
this perceived northern leaders think we in the north are not wise, but we are and they cannot continue to fool us shocked
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by MURTALA555: 4:44pm On Jun 23, 2010
the northern leaders are greedy
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by koolboi(m): 5:19pm On Jun 23, 2010
even the yoruba are in support of gj
Re: The Big Northern Gang-up Against Jonathan by Pygru: 10:52pm On Sep 01, 2013
Bump

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Is Corrupt Afterall / PDP fails Abia and Ebonyi State: Apga now essential. / Ekiti To Redeploy LG Workers In Farms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.