Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,448 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee (1176 Views)

Nigerian Commentators Should Keep Commenting On Our Serious Matches / Why Nigerian Commentators Should Not Comment On Serious Matches / Kelechi Iheanacho Makes ESPN Player Power Ranking. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by JIY: 6:52pm On Jun 18, 2010
ESPN commentators went beyond acceptable language on air when commenting on the soccer match between the USA and Slovenia. They employed such terms as silly and slow to describe the Malian official, the first black referee so far in the competition.

Granted, the pro USA commentators would be annoyed about the disallowed goal, but the decision could have gone either ways. Both sides were pulling and tugging in the penalty box, it wasn't justĀ  the Slovenians that were guilty.

Was Findley's handball intentional or not? Tough call. Referees do get such calls wrong but that hardly made referee Koman Coulibaly an exception.

According to ESPN commentators, most of referee Koman Coulibaly's calls in the game were wrong and horrible. But if you take a census of the major calls in the game beside the disallowed goal and the handball by Findley, most of those went against Slovenia who got four yellow cards to the USA's one. Were this commentators protesting those?
And why didn't they call the Spanish referee in the German-Serbian game silly or slow when he destroyed the match by an excessive use of yellow cards?

As an African sensitive to centuries-long racial terms such as these, which insinuate that blacks are silly and slow, I take exception to these terms being used on air to describe a referee who happens to be black.

Don't get me wrong. I do not protest objection against bad officiating, I object the use of vitriolic terms on air, terms that happen to have racial and stereotypical connotations.

I call on ESPN to caution its commentator

This is an objection I tend to lodge with ESPN, does anyone know where I might post this complain to ESPN?

This forum's protest against BBC regarding their profile on the Super Eagles, where they connected the team with 419, worked. Perhaps, I can get other forum members to join in lodging this complain?

Tell me that I'm not wrong on my assessment of this situation.
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by Newest: 7:16pm On Jun 18, 2010
Dint get to watch the match, but if what u said is tru, then i hope high rank pepz that has the power could do somfin, haha, wat does he mean?
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by 12large: 7:42pm On Jun 18, 2010
jiy abeg shut the Zap if it was nigerians we would have killed the referee. you think world cup is everyday how can you dissalow a correct goal for no reason. it is idiots like you that thinks everything is racial useless mumu
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by mystikal(m): 7:44pm On Jun 18, 2010
we have become too sensitive
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by davidif: 8:21pm On Jun 18, 2010
mystikal:

we have become too sensitive

OSE O JARE, IT SEEMS THAT SOME AFRICANS HAVE BECOME TOO SENSITIVE. IF IT WAS A WHITE REFREE THAT DID THAT TO NIGERIA, YOU WOULD SEE ALL THE RACIST CONCOTING CONSPIRACY THEORIES ABOUT HOW FIFA WOULD NEVER WANT AN AFRICAN TEAM TO SUCCEED OR THAT THE WHITE MAN KEEPS "OPRESSING" THE BLACK MAN ON THE FOOTBALL PITCH.
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by deb(m): 8:44pm On Jun 18, 2010
Am an African and personally I don't like african referees. They make too many questionable calls.
Meanwhile, I think the greater blame should go to FIFA for calling mistakes by officials as part of the game.
I think officiating in football should have advanced beyond the level it is now. It is injustice to allow wrong calls to go un-challenged/reverted
emotions are too attached to this game by the fans than for FIFA to keep doing "siddon look"

The match between Nigeria and Argentina could have ended 0-0 but for the ref who did not spot the infringement on Obasi. How about the cup that Cameroun and Issa Hayatou came to "stea"l in Nigeria right in front of their fans with Victor Ikpeba disallowed goal in the year 2000 African Nation's Cup? Those are just a few out of many.

I Blame FIFA
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by Jarus(m): 8:57pm On Jun 18, 2010
deb:

Am an African and personally I don't like african referees. They make too many questionable calls.
Meanwhile, I think the greater blame should go to FIFA for calling mistakes by officials as part of the game.
I think officiating in football should have advanced beyond the level it is now. It is injustice to allow wrong calls to go un-challenged/reverted
emotions are too attached to this game by the fans than for FIFA to keep doing "siddon look"

The match between Nigeria and Argentina could have ended 0-0 but for the ref who did not spot the infringement on Obasi. How about the cup that Cameroun and Issa Hayatou came to "stea"l in Nigeria right in front of their fans with Victor Ikpeba disallowed goal in the year 2000 African Nation's Cup? Those are just a few out of many.

I Blame FIFA
I hate all these conspiracy theories. angryYou can say ref made a mistake, but to say na hayatou rob u is excuse taken too far.
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by deb(m): 7:46am On Jun 19, 2010
I mentioned Issa Hayatou because I remember I saw him taking off that same night with his team at the Airport.
He is a thief and should have been sacked! Football like I said is far too attached to people's emotional than for its decisions to be toiled with
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by ObamaUS: 9:20am On Jun 19, 2010
The referee should have been hanged for disallowing that goal
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by davidif: 7:42pm On Jun 20, 2010
deb:

I Blame FIFA

Don't you people know how hard it is to ref? That Ikpeba goal was almost impossible to see.
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by bawomolo(m): 7:47pm On Jun 20, 2010
ikpeba made it worse by his reaction after the kick. he himself didnt think it went in
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by deb(m): 3:41am On Jun 21, 2010
davidif:

Don't you people know how hard it is to ref? That Ikpeba goal was almost impossible to see.

The more reason why I think FIFA need to add technology to the use of decision making.
All we need is a fifth official seating in front of a TV to watch replays and with his ear-phone on, he tells the ref on the field what the correct decision should be thats all it doesn't take 30seconds

bawomolo:

ikpeba made it worse by his reaction after the kick. he himself didnt think it went in

He reacted very unprofessionally yet a good referees decision should not be based on the reaction of players he should have opened his eyes
Re: Espn Commentators Vilify Malian Referee by davidif: 6:17pm On Jun 21, 2010
deb:

He reacted very unprofessionally yet a good referees decision should not be based on the reaction of players he should have opened his eyes

How the heck did he react unproffessionally?? he didn't even know it went in, geez. Maybe you don't even know the meaning of the word.

(1) (Reply)

Memorable Quotes By Footballers In 2013 / FIFA Corruption: How World Cup Finals Was Predicted Correctly 15hrs Before Time / Ronaldo-i Would Be In Prison If I Say What I Think About Messi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.